Do you think we have a clear plan?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Do you think we have a clear plan?

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:33 pm

AW had a plan 2 years ago, signed Santi, Poldi and Giroud. Who knows what's going through his mind?
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Pudpop wrote:AW had a plan 2 years ago, signed Santi, Poldi and Giroud. Who knows what's going through his mind?

That was when Spurs had Bale and were at their peak. He saw it. As long as 4th spot is safe, I doubt Wenger would enhance.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kronickaos » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:47 pm

he has a plan, but it's based off his "Sabermetrics" that I'm certain they're using. All of his Sabermetricians are running value vs output on the pitch and they'll make their selections on who to try and sign off of that. Doesn't mean that we'll actually sign anyone based on the valuation they place on certain players, but there's definitely a "plan" to sign them.
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby JordanTheGunner » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Wenger never has a plan he always wings it. Ivan Gazidis said last night apparently we were negotiating Ozil for months. :lol:

Kind of like when you score a goal that was meant to be a cross and you're like 'na it was a shot'.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby mrbuff » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Besides needing a new Striker, Defensive Midfielder, Right Back, Central Defender, Winger all in place before pre season, our medical staff and training method needs assessing and changing and so too our style of football and tactics. Hows that all being planned while Wenger is in Brazil
mrbuff
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:25 pm

We should. The scary thing is I'm not sure whether we do
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Apollo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Obviously, may not be the plan that everyone wants but managers always have shortlists and players lined up.

But like always plans a likely to change dependent on external circumstances.The squad has been built to suit the style Wengers been trying to achieve over a period of years so obviously there are blueprints.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Younggooner08 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Angelito wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Lol wenger and plan...

This.
After the World Cup, we will sign a RB and a back-up GK.

Rinse and repeat.

And vela. There is your 'striker'
Imagee
Younggooner08
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:25 pm

YES..................................................................save money
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StockGooner » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Omphi93 wrote:Obviously, may not be the plan that everyone wants but managers always have shortlists and players lined up.

But like always plans a likely to change dependent on external circumstances.The squad has been built to suit the style Wengers been trying to achieve over a period of years so obviously there are blueprints.

I don;t know if this is the case anymore. Our football last year was different to two or three years ago. We weren't as pretty on the eye a lot of the time. We still got called the best 'pure' footballing team in the country, but last year I don't think that was the case. We don't try quite the same amount of tiki taka as in say 2011/12, I really think the blueprints have changed from then, not drastically, but still changed
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LMAO » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:52 pm

lol not at all.

Wenger on August 31: "Zere vasn't enuf quality in ze market zat vill improve ze squad. Ve showed at ze end of last season zat ve have ze mental strength and quality to compete for silverware. Not to mention zat ve von ze stamina league viz 118 days at ze top of ze table, so viz less injuries, ve can compete viz ze teams at ze top of ze league."

Well, it'll either be that or he'll completely floor me by signing a top class striker, a beast center mid, a quality right back, and a prolific left winger....but I won't hold my breath for the latter.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Wenger is more of a reactionary man than a meticulous planning type going by his history in the transfer market. If he had a plan he would buy players who suit his vision and Giroud/Chamakh/Sanogo are no where near suited to the style of play Wenger likes. If Wenger had a plan he would not make the squad so lop sided towards Central/attacking mids. If Wenger had a plan he would not be playing so many players out of position. I could understand one or two but when you have a look so many times midfield converts play on the flanks and makeshift legless midfielder dons the role of defensive midfielder in our team. if Wenger had a plan he would not have attempted to play Gervinho of all players, who could not hit the broad side of a barn through the middle.

Wenger is a reactive than a proactive type of manager and tbf to him it has worked for him to certain extent. When you have so many midfielders who can pass the ball and keep possession you are going to create chances against mid/low table sides and Wenger knows that is enough to secure 4th place. if Wenger had a plan why would he buy Park, barely utilize him and sell him off? some of his transfer decisions have made no sense. Miyaichi? Why was he bought. What was Silvestre brought in for? Squillaci who did not get a look in even when there were critical injuries to first choice Center-backs? What happened to Joel Campbell? Kim Kallstrom, although he did show some spark but he was bought when was carrying an injury. Wenger for me tries to appease the fans by nothing signings just to make up numbers and Miyaichi/Young/Campbell/Kallstrom/Silvestre/Squillaci etc are pretty clear examples. We know clearly which players are there just to make up numbers and which one are going to play now that we know Wenger.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Lol wenger and plan...
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Gunpowder » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:41 pm

He probably has a plan but not sure he has a plan for how to execute his thoughts or an alternative plan.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:19 am

I think he does have a plan tbh but that doesn't mean it'll be one I like.

The only name I'm half excited about that's been raised is Balotelli, the others are a big fat meh.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk