What's with the adulation of George Graham?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: What's with the adulation of George Graham?

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:23 am

themessiah wrote:
swipe right wrote:Graham only won 41 games in 9 years. Easy record for Arteta to better.

Tbf Graham was the real genius. The defensive platform he left behind propped up Wenger's early years. Without it Wenger would exposed as a tactical imbecile, proven by his abysmal record in Europe.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:23 am

Gordon Bennit wrote:Looking at the thread title, I'd have thought the reasons for adulation were obvious. It doesn't need to be a comparison to Wenger, Chapman or anyone else in order to appreciate what George Graham did for the club.

Firstly, he was a member of the Double team of '71 so deserves legendary status for that alone. I don't mean a statue to genuflect over, just a ton of respect and a place in Arsenal folklore. Even if he did try and claim the first goal in the Cup final! Ironically, when he returned to the club, he was still the only person in the place to have lifted the Championship (unless Geordie Armstrong was there, not sure).

The back 4. THE back 4. It was George's decision to make a young Tony Adams the club captain and lynchpin of the defence aligned with incredibly astute signings. In 'Addicted' Adams mentions George beaming at him after Anfield, telling him that he always knew 'the Stoke boys' would come good. He must also deserve some credit, whilst the individuals concerned should take much more, when Adams was getting donkey chants and Lee Dixon had to listen to 'If Lee Dixon can play for England so can I,' for keeping them going.

Whether he man managed Adams well, or allowed him to crash and burn, knowing he would manage to come back each time as a colossus is another issue. However, Adams did credit him over the way he managed Ian Wright. Wrighty, who was of course, signed by George and would go on to become the leading scorer in Arsenal history, overtaking Arsenal legend Cliff Bastin, before Ian himself was overtaken by some French guy ;)

While the back 4 would create history for more than a decade, they needed someone equal to them between the posts. Lukic was the first player I remember doubting. He must have been pretty good obviously, winning another title with dirty Leeds, but in the 'Champions' video, George said that 'David Seaman was the best.' Indeed he was. I don't give a shiny shite what the pundits and experts say, I would rather have that calm, unflappable Yorkshire bloke in goal any day, rather than the Dane.

Trophies. 6 of them, including the first Cup 'Double,' the only European trophy I've ever seen us win and 2 titles. One title was won with a single defeat, which even the media-obsessed dippers haven't managed this year. This was despite losing the captain to a prison sentence, a 2 point deduction for a brawl which may not have happened had the ref spotted a sly kick from Brian McClair previous to it and fines for both the club and manager (I think!)

In the Cup Winners' Cup (great trophy, never understood why they did away with that) Arsenal triumphed over arguably superior opposition. Paris St Germain were very good; they had Ginola, a Brazilian called Valdo, not sure he ever played for Brazil at the World Cup, which tells you what a team they had in '94 and a really good goalie, whose name escapes me. George and the team shut them out for 180 mins before taking on Parma. Brolin, the pre chocolate one, Asprilla and Zola. 1-0 to the Arsenal, yet again. The defence were awesome but again, credit to the manager who had to select a team and prepare them tactically without Ian Wright, after his personal Gazza moment.

As for Anfield '89? We hadn't been champions for 18 years (in fact we had only won 2 titles in the previous 36 years), Liverpool were on a wave of emotion, were going for the Double, were 3 points clear and top going into the last game, were at home, hadn't lost by 2 goals there in 2 years, were the reigning champs and had legends such as Barnes, Rush, Aldridge and Beardsley. George picked a team which featured David O'Leary as an extra defender which even surprised seasoned commentator Brian Moore (RIP). No more needs to be said.

It's laughable to think of Arsenal being boring, when the only reason we won the title in '89 was scoring more goals than Liverpool.

What's with the adulation of George Graham? Forget the bungs. He made Arsenal the best team in the country again, Twice. He made an 11 year old able to strut around the playground which was full of Liverpool or Man Utd fans, most of whom didn;t have a clue about their team's history, just loud mouths and too many of them. And he also wrote to that 11 year old twice, when I sent letters of support to the team. I don't give a shit whether the words were his, but the imprint on the back of them and the accompanying photos signed in biro, are good enough for me. Cheers George.

Has to go down as one of the best posts ever.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 am

Gordon Bennit wrote:Looking at the thread title, I'd have thought the reasons for adulation were obvious. It doesn't need to be a comparison to Wenger, Chapman or anyone else in order to appreciate what George Graham did for the club.

Firstly, he was a member of the Double team of '71 so deserves legendary status for that alone. I don't mean a statue to genuflect over, just a ton of respect and a place in Arsenal folklore. Even if he did try and claim the first goal in the Cup final! Ironically, when he returned to the club, he was still the only person in the place to have lifted the Championship (unless Geordie Armstrong was there, not sure).

The back 4. THE back 4. It was George's decision to make a young Tony Adams the club captain and lynchpin of the defence aligned with incredibly astute signings. In 'Addicted' Adams mentions George beaming at him after Anfield, telling him that he always knew 'the Stoke boys' would come good. He must also deserve some credit, whilst the individuals concerned should take much more, when Adams was getting donkey chants and Lee Dixon had to listen to 'If Lee Dixon can play for England so can I,' for keeping them going.

Whether he man managed Adams well, or allowed him to crash and burn, knowing he would manage to come back each time as a colossus is another issue. However, Adams did credit him over the way he managed Ian Wright. Wrighty, who was of course, signed by George and would go on to become the leading scorer in Arsenal history, overtaking Arsenal legend Cliff Bastin, before Ian himself was overtaken by some French guy ;)

While the back 4 would create history for more than a decade, they needed someone equal to them between the posts. Lukic was the first player I remember doubting. He must have been pretty good obviously, winning another title with dirty Leeds, but in the 'Champions' video, George said that 'David Seaman was the best.' Indeed he was. I don't give a shiny shite what the pundits and experts say, I would rather have that calm, unflappable Yorkshire bloke in goal any day, rather than the Dane.

Trophies. 6 of them, including the first Cup 'Double,' the only European trophy I've ever seen us win and 2 titles. One title was won with a single defeat, which even the media-obsessed dippers haven't managed this year. This was despite losing the captain to a prison sentence, a 2 point deduction for a brawl which may not have happened had the ref spotted a sly kick from Brian McClair previous to it and fines for both the club and manager (I think!)

In the Cup Winners' Cup (great trophy, never understood why they did away with that) Arsenal triumphed over arguably superior opposition. Paris St Germain were very good; they had Ginola, a Brazilian called Valdo, not sure he ever played for Brazil at the World Cup, which tells you what a team they had in '94 and a really good goalie, whose name escapes me. George and the team shut them out for 180 mins before taking on Parma. Brolin, the pre chocolate one, Asprilla and Zola. 1-0 to the Arsenal, yet again. The defence were awesome but again, credit to the manager who had to select a team and prepare them tactically without Ian Wright, after his personal Gazza moment.

As for Anfield '89? We hadn't been champions for 18 years (in fact we had only won 2 titles in the previous 36 years), Liverpool were on a wave of emotion, were going for the Double, were 3 points clear and top going into the last game, were at home, hadn't lost by 2 goals there in 2 years, were the reigning champs and had legends such as Barnes, Rush, Aldridge and Beardsley. George picked a team which featured David O'Leary as an extra defender which even surprised seasoned commentator Brian Moore (RIP). No more needs to be said.

It's laughable to think of Arsenal being boring, when the only reason we won the title in '89 was scoring more goals than Liverpool.

What's with the adulation of George Graham? Forget the bungs. He made Arsenal the best team in the country again, Twice. He made an 11 year old able to strut around the playground which was full of Liverpool or Man Utd fans, most of whom didn;t have a clue about their team's history, just loud mouths and too many of them. And he also wrote to that 11 year old twice, when I sent letters of support to the team. I don't give a shit whether the words were his, but the imprint on the back of them and the accompanying photos signed in biro, are good enough for me. Cheers George.

Great post about a great era.

It's just a shame that some stupid people don't look it up themselves.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:52 am

Phil71 wrote:

:clap: :clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby starmandb » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:34 am

swipe right wrote:Graham’s points per match was just 1.54. Which is very low. So far Arteta is 1.91. But its early days for Arteta. With a few good signings he can stretch that lead.

Wrong again
620 points from 350 games is 1.77 per game
The title winners from all those years( which included us twice) I know.... that's a shock for you isn't it.
Averaged 2.09
Delighted that arteta is bettering that points total being has how he is the current incumbent
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:30 am

You cannot look at a manager with a small sample set and compare stats with others with far a larger set, if you do doesn't that make Sam Allardyce the GOAT England manager ?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 am

Why is anyone even still listening to this f****** troll wum?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 am

Phil71 wrote:Why is anyone even still listening to this f****** troll wum?

It's to give the more sensible posters a chance if they are too young to appreciate what a great history this club has.
Never really talk to the trolls
It's for the sensible ones
starmandb

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:54 pm

Graham was a good manager no doubt. But what happened during the 94-95 season? This is the kind of league table that could tarnish a good man’s reputation.

swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:10 pm

Only if you are a know nothing c***
starmandb

Postby Zenith » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:34 pm

Time for a 3-month hiatus, swipe right.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31443&p=1808708#p1808708
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:35 pm

Phil71 wrote:

I really enjoyed that stroll down memory lane. Top post.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:40 pm

starmandb wrote:Only if you are a know nothing c***

That's more like it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:54 am

Another one bites the dust lol
Nuggets

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk