What's with the adulation of George Graham?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: What's with the adulation of George Graham?

Postby swipe right » Sat May 16, 2020 12:30 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
VCC wrote:Fact is AW never won anything in Europe with the best club team on the planet at on stage!!!!!!

That's because Wenger did not have the first clue about defending. He knew nothing about how to set a team up, how to coach - zilch - when it came to the defensive side of the game.
He was always a five a side manager who go t very lucky with the team he inherited. Graham's defence and Bergkamp (signed by Rioch) gave Wenger a platform to build upon, but when that platform was gone, Wenger's team fell apart.

Except for those 49 undefeated games without a single player graham left behind.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Lots of former players have said wenger can't coach, he just lets the players have freedom, with some teams it worked others it didn;t, it was his strenght and downfall at the same time. He didn't adapt like fergie.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Ach » Sat May 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Kind of a miracle we hold the cl clean sheet record. I think we still do
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:17 pm

Kewon apparently coached the defense in that run
Marsbar100

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 16, 2020 1:49 pm

NovaGB wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
Ach wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:A real European cup is worth an infinite amount of charity cups.

Yup

Can't believe fairweathers are mocking our CWC win to praise Wenger. Ridiculous.

It was a massive trophy when we won it.

Was it f**k, it was scrapped because it was the 3rd best and not needed, like I said it was nice to have it, but id rather the Wenger years.

Absolute rubbish!! I remember the days of the 3 European trophies vividly and they were all big nights and big trophies. Winning the Cup Winners Cup was on a par with anything else big we won. European football is devalued now.

When it was just the European Cup and the Cup Winners cup it was more prestigious, when we won it when i was 14, it was classed as the third tier Euro title, thats why they merged it into the UEFA Cup and not the other way round, maybe i was a bit harsh on it, but it is what it is, it was still nice to win.

Mr. Wenger is not that popular with some of you, i get that, but you can't ignore that he won more and broke more records in his first 6 years at the club that Graham the spud won in his entire career with anybody.

I mean you can't forgive Wenger for out staying his prime despite giving us the most success in our history, but you love George despite the fact he did stupid shit that got him sacked then became a spud, crazy.

When I was a kid, I remember the European football nights, European Cup on a Wednesday I think, UEFA Cup on a Thursday and Cup Winner's Cup on a Friday. At the time I didn't know the difference between the 3 competitions, they all had the same prestige to me, even when Arsenal won the CWC I thought it was the equivalent of the others. I remember crying my eyes out when we lost to Valencia on penalties.

theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 16, 2020 1:50 pm

swipe right wrote:
NovaGB wrote:Heres a question, what would have happened if we got Fergie? we were favourites to get him when he was at Aberdeen a season before he took over at United and they were saying Graham was going to be his number 2.

Do you think he would have had the same success with us?

Great manager but spent like a drunk sailor in his last decade. Wouldn’t have been able to do that at Arsenal.

In his last decade, but what about what he did with Aberdeen, can't question his ability as a manager on a budget.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 16, 2020 2:02 pm

I suppose for most of us it is a different sort of adulation for Graham. Graham came in and challenged the dominance of Everton and Liverpool, made us tough as nails and hard to beat and won shitloads in a short time. Yes he went stale, yes he went to Spurs but at no time during his time at Spurs did I think they were a threat - and so it didn't taint Graham to me.

Wenger came in and challenged the dominance of Man U, he gave us some of the best football ever seen in the Premier League era, we were absolutely in a Wenger Wonderland. But he refused to adapt with the times and we could all see it when we struggled to beat physically strong teams. When Mourinho came along he managed to allay physical strength with great defensive displays and the pick of great attacking strength, Wenger was schooled time and time again by Mourinho. Then came the fall and at the start many of us thought Wenger would prevail, but it became clear that he would not, the club's quality fell season after season and Wenger outstayed his welcome. It is this that, to me, tarnished Wenger's legacy, I ended up hating him, I never hated Graham though which is why I have a slight preference to the George Graham era than I do the Arsene Wenger era.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 16, 2020 2:15 pm

^ agreed
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:25 pm

Wenger problems went beyond money imo, as pointed out the change from the invincibles to lightweight players was clearly wrong, the defensive tactics were appealing and so on.
Marsbar100

Postby Nuggets » Sat May 16, 2020 2:52 pm

theHotHead wrote:I suppose for most of us it is a different sort of adulation for Graham. Graham came in and challenged the dominance of Everton and Liverpool, made us tough as nails and hard to beat and won shitloads in a short time. Yes he went stale, yes he went to Spurs but at no time during his time at Spurs did I think they were a threat - and so it didn't taint Graham to me.

Wenger came in and challenged the dominance of Man U, he gave us some of the best football ever seen in the Premier League era, we were absolutely in a Wenger Wonderland. But he refused to adapt with the times and we could all see it when we struggled to beat physically strong teams. When Mourinho came along he managed to allay physical strength with great defensive displays and the pick of great attacking strength, Wenger was schooled time and time again by Mourinho. Then came the fall and at the start many of us thought Wenger would prevail, but it became clear that he would not, the club's quality fell season after season and Wenger outstayed his welcome. It is this that, to me, tarnished Wenger's legacy, I ended up hating him, I never hated Graham though which is why I have a slight preference to the George Graham era than I do the Arsene Wenger era.

:clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby swipe right » Sat May 16, 2020 4:11 pm

theHotHead wrote:I suppose for most of us it is a different sort of adulation for Graham. Graham came in and challenged the dominance of Everton and Liverpool, made us tough as nails and hard to beat and won shitloads in a short time. Yes he went stale, yes he went to Spurs but at no time during his time at Spurs did I think they were a threat - and so it didn't taint Graham to me.

You do know why Graham had to leave Arsenal, right? And that’s alright with you?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sat May 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Graham won titles when Liverpool dominated and when Ferguson started to dominate

Legend
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun May 17, 2020 3:06 pm

swipe right wrote:

You do know why Graham had to leave Arsenal, right? And that’s alright with you?

I don't care that he took a bung and neither should you. I don't see famous people as role models, I couldn't give a shit if Rooney wants to shag grannies or if Robbie Fowler wants to snort cocaine or if Merson wants to be drunk and disorderly. I don't like politicians that claim they never did any wrong, got far more respect for the ones that admitted they smoked weed or that they snorted coke off some prostitutes tits!

So George Graham took a bung, so what, doesn't affect or bother me in the slightest.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun May 17, 2020 3:35 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:

I don't care that he took a bung and neither should you. I don't see famous people as role models, I couldn't give a shit if Rooney wants to shag grannies or if Robbie Fowler wants to snort cocaine or if Merson wants to be drunk and disorderly. I don't like politicians that claim they never did any wrong, got far more respect for the ones that admitted they smoked weed or that they snorted coke off some prostitutes tits!

So George Graham took a bung, so what, doesn't affect or bother me in the slightest.

Really? He personally took money from a players agent to sign the player for Arsenal. He was subsequently banned from management by the FA for a year. And that doesn’t bother you? I believe it’s called bribery, though bung sounds much cuter.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 17, 2020 4:14 pm

At the time I told myself it was rife in the game and he was just unlucky to get caught.

Wasn't it John Jensen that the bung was for? Always thought it funny that he had to be paid to sign him.

Could we chuck someone a bung to take Mustafi?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk