What's with the adulation of George Graham?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: What's with the adulation of George Graham?

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 20, 2020 2:42 pm

For the sake of it I am going to list the defensive players that played under George Graham, from 1986:
John Lukic, Viv Anderson, Kenny Sansom, David O'Leary, Tony Adams, Gus Ceaser, Nigel Winterburn, Lee Dixon, Steve Bould, David Seaman, Andy Linighan, Colin Pates, Pal Lydersen, Steve Morrow, Martin Keown. Not a single fucktard in sight
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 pm

theHotHead wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Kewon apparently coached the defense in that run

Yes, both Keown and Parlour were still at the club in the Invincibles season (as was Bergkamp - not a Graham signing but a pre Wenger player who had teh same mentality as the Graham team and slotted right in) and the players at the club who were not in the Graham area had a direct attachment to it. Players like Vieira had the benefit of playing alongside Graham's defence and really understood the club culture. As time drifted on and the link to the Graham era was a distant memory, Wenger's lack of defensive coaching knowledge really came through and hurt the club badly.

The invincibles defence was equally as good as Grahams defence, Lauren, Toure, Campbell, Cole, it just went to shit after that.

Grahams defence was great, but also had a couple of seasons where they were piss poor (the 10th place and 12th place seasons in the 90s)

The Invcincibles defence was not as good as Graham's defence, they conceded 26 goals compared to 18 that Graham's 1990-91 team conceded. Interestingly Graham's team scored 74 compared to the Invincibles 73.

That team of Grahams was better than the Invicibles team, imo. Only one loss - probably the best defence ever to be seen in English football and a free scoring attack.
The invicibles did have bigger stars, though - notably Bergkamp and Henry.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Wed May 20, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby NovaGB » Wed May 20, 2020 3:37 pm

theHotHead wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Yes, both Keown and Parlour were still at the club in the Invincibles season (as was Bergkamp - not a Graham signing but a pre Wenger player who had teh same mentality as the Graham team and slotted right in) and the players at the club who were not in the Graham area had a direct attachment to it. Players like Vieira had the benefit of playing alongside Graham's defence and really understood the club culture. As time drifted on and the link to the Graham era was a distant memory, Wenger's lack of defensive coaching knowledge really came through and hurt the club badly.

The invincibles defence was equally as good as Grahams defence, Lauren, Toure, Campbell, Cole, it just went to shit after that.

Grahams defence was great, but also had a couple of seasons where they were piss poor (the 10th place and 12th place seasons in the 90s)

The Invcincibles defence was not as good as Graham's defence, they conceded 26 goals compared to 18 that Graham's 1990-91 team conceded. Interestingly Graham's team scored 74 compared to the Invincibles 73.

Graham played flat out Mourinho style park the bus-scrape-a-1-0 football, Wenger played exciting attacking football, had those players played under Mourinho they would have had just as good statistics.

Wenger was more a 4-2 man and Graham was almost always 1-0, Graham had a good season here and there where we scored more, but if you compare Grahams 9 years to Wengers you will see we scored more under wenger and conceded more (and won more trophies) and under Graham we conceded less and scored less, one of the seasons in the early 90s i remember we only had 6 goal scorers in the whole team, the defending in 1994-1995 was as bad as the defending under Emery.

Not to mention the quality of players Wengers team was defending against compared to the 80's and early 90's british centre forwards.

Its not a lot different to how Arteta has made Mustafi look like a good cb, but he looked useless under Emery.

All Wengers defensive signings since those invicibles have been awful though, even the better ones have been embarrassing at times.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 pm

NovaGB wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Graham played flat out Mourinho style park the bus-scrape-a-1-0 football, Wenger played exciting attacking football, had those players played under Mourinho they would have been just as good.

Its not a lot different to how Arteta has made Mustafi look like a good cb, but he looked useless under Emery.

Simply not correct.
There were only four 1-0 results in our 90-91 campaign.
We scored 3 or more goals in 11 of the 38 matches.
In the 88-89 title winning season (THE SEASON) there were just two 1-0 wins ..
and 9 matches where we scored 3 or more goals.

The Invincibles scored 3 or more in 9 of the 38 matches

By the sound of it you were not around when GG was managing Arsenal - or are so smitten with Wenger you've forgotten there were great Arsenal teams before he took over the managers job.

In my view, of Wengers 21 years - half of them comprised the most boring football I have ever seen. Tippy tappy sideways nothingness.

As for Graham, that 88-89 season culmitaing in the game at Anfield is still the pinnacle of what our club has achieved. If I had to chose to negate either that or the Invincibles season, i'd be scrubbing out the Invincibles season every time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby NovaGB » Wed May 20, 2020 3:51 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Graham played flat out Mourinho style park the bus-scrape-a-1-0 football, Wenger played exciting attacking football, had those players played under Mourinho they would have been just as good.

Simply not correct.

By the sound of it you were not around when GG was managing Arsenal - or are so smitten with Wenger you've forgotten there were great Arsenal teams before he took over the managers job.

In my view, of Wengers 21 years - half of them comprised the most boring football I have ever seen. Tippy tappy sideways nothingness.

As for Graham, that 88-89 season culmitaing in the game at Anfield is still the pinnacle of what our club has achieved. If I had to chose to negate either that or the Invincibles season, i'd be scrubbing out the Invincibles season every time.

Don't be a dick cos i don't agree, we were called boring boring arsenal, and yes i was like 10 years old when we won at Anfield so i'm no expert, typical of this place, you disagree and you get little gobshite comments.

How much do you remember from ages 5-10?

We probably were better than i remember, i only started watching in 89, and didn't really care a lot until the season we finished 10th which was 92 or 93, something like that.

At the era where i would start to take a lot of it in, Graham had ran us into the ground, we had a mediocre Rioch season, then Wenger took us from being laughing stocks to a force in the league, cups and did well in the champions league, and developed some of the best players on the planet, so thats where my opinions come from.

You guys just remember the later Wenger years after the stadium move and discredit everything he done, like a vendetta, it seems to be the cool opinion here to shit on everything he brought to us and the english game because you are sour about the latter years.

Thats the problem with age...memory loss ;)

At least he didn't get caught doing bungs then become a spud, thats as bad as Fergie becoming the new Liverpool manager.

My memory might be warped, but i'm not the type to hammer google before i type, i don't feel the need to pad my knowledge with stuff i didn't experience first hand, if i'm wrong i'm wrong.
Last edited by NovaGB on Wed May 20, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ag6789 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:45 pm

Very few people on this site were around when GG was in charge. Most people are Googling to prove their points as if they have retrovision. Really foolish comparison between two different eras. From reading history, until the mid nineties, most teams had British footballers , including Arsenal, and the game hadn't really gone global. Most teams played hit and run football ( British type). Wenger really changed all that, and brought in more European style, players from world over, especially to Arsenal. Others, like Chelsea, ManU,Lpool, followed suit.
But the point is, it is futile to compare different periods, like the 50-60s to '80-'90s to present. Like Pele vs Messi, VW Beetle, '50s vs VW Passat. Each is great in its own era.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Wed May 20, 2020 5:11 pm

NovaGB wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Simply not correct.

Don't be a dick cos i don't agree, we were called boring boring arsenal, and yes i was like 10 years old when we won at Anfield so i'm no expert, typical of this place, you disagree and you get little gobshite comments.

We probably were better than i remember, i only started watching in 89, and didn't really care a lot until the season we finished 10th which was 92 or 93, something like that.

At the era where i would start to take a lot of it in, Graham had ran us into the ground, we had a mediocre Rioch season, then Wenger took us from being laughing stocks to a force in the league, cups and did well in the champions league, and developed some of the best players on the planet, so thats where my opinions come from.

You guys just remember the later Wenger years after the stadium move and discredit everything he done, like a vendetta, it seems to be the cool opinion here to shit on everything he brought to us and the english game because you are sour about the latter years.

At least he didn't get caught doing bungs then become a spud, thats as bad as Fergie becoming the new Liverpool manager.

My memory might be warped, but i'm not the type to hammer google before i type, i don't feel the need to pad my knowledge with stuff i didn't experience first hand, if i'm wrong i'm wrong.

The Boring Boring Arsenal tag came from before the GG era. It actually gained more traction in the era where Don Howe was managing the team. These things tend to stick for a while.
I began going to games when Terry Neill was manager in the 1970's, so I am comfortable saying that Graham was the best manager we've had in my years following Arsenal.

I could tell you had not really experienced anything beyond Wenger. I am not being a dick, nothing wrong with being a younger fan.
Wenger fans typically don't have much history with Arsenal, but I can assure you Wenger's team in his last 10 years was as boring as I have ever witnessed since the mid to late 70's.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:31 pm

The Wenger tika taka idea lacked pace and penetration, the really good teams or any team away from home, that had a good solid low block could make us look a bit toothless and then hurt us on the break.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby VCC » Wed May 20, 2020 7:09 pm

NovaGB wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Simply not correct.

We were called boring boring Arsenal long before the GG era
GG would never had thrown the titles away AW did ,
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Wed May 20, 2020 7:14 pm

ag6789 wrote:Very few people on this site were around when GG was in charge. Most people are Googling to prove their points as if they have retrovision. Really foolish comparison between two different eras. From reading history, until the mid nineties, most teams had British footballers , including Arsenal, and the game hadn't really gone global. Most teams played hit and run football ( British type). Wenger really changed all that, and brought in more European style, players from world over, especially to Arsenal. Others, like Chelsea, ManU,Lpool, followed suit.
But the point is, it is futile to compare different periods, like the 50-60s to '80-'90s to present. Like Pele vs Messi, VW Beetle, '50s vs VW Passat. Each is great in its own era.

You will be surprised
Bertie Mee for me and I am a youngster to some on here,
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Wed May 20, 2020 7:29 pm

VCC wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Very few people on this site were around when GG was in charge. Most people are Googling to prove their points as if they have retrovision. Really foolish comparison between two different eras. From reading history, until the mid nineties, most teams had British footballers , including Arsenal, and the game hadn't really gone global. Most teams played hit and run football ( British type). Wenger really changed all that, and brought in more European style, players from world over, especially to Arsenal. Others, like Chelsea, ManU,Lpool, followed suit.

You will be surprised

Herbert Chapman for me. Will never forget taking my grandkids to a game to see his side
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Ach wrote:
VCC wrote:

You will be surprised

Herbert Chapman for me. Will never forget taking my grandkids to a game to see his side

Disrespectful !
Actually Starmanb, phil, priss will remember earlier years than I, but yes I remember the change from Mee to Neil
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Wed May 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Nah been a fan since after italia 90.

First match I remember watching was cup final in 90. Wright double for palace. World Cup got me hooked. Thankfully I didn't choose palace or Man Utd as the team to follow. Teacher was an Arsenal nut. He'd include Arsenal references in whatever work we did so I thought I'd try this Arsenal team out. One night in December 90 we faced Liverpool at Highbury. 2 best teams in the country. Vowed to support the winner. Dixon penalty, Merson and smith goals in a 3-0 win.

Rest as they say is history.

Didn't care about entertainment back then. All about results so I can go to school and mock others as kids do. Won the title that season and ended Liverpools and kennys reign at the top.

Haven't regretted since. Apart from a 10 year stretch from 2007-17

That era had the worst football I've seen as an Arsenal fan.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Wed May 20, 2020 9:50 pm

I gotta be honest i talk to fans at games etc, i talk to a lot of gooners that are older than me and most pretty much line up with what i'm saying (not exactly), but this forum in particular is different, but to be honest, if i say one thing, and somebody else says another and backs it up, it gives me a diff angle to think about, i personally think my opinions come from getting a lot of grief from Scouse and Manc fans at school (even being in Enfield) around about the time we went down hill before the Graham sacking (get the violins out).

Anyway, i respect people have diff opinions, i just go by what i know, i don't hammer the internet for facts, cos its weak.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Phil71 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:11 am

VCC wrote:
Ach wrote:
VCC wrote:

You will be surprised

Disrespectful !
Actually Starmanb, phil, priss will remember earlier years than I, but yes I remember the change from Mee to Neil

Mee was in charge when I first started supporting the club.

The Neil years were enjoyable for the three consecutive FA Cup Finals - and the magic of Liam Brady. Overall though they weren't great. The Don Howe years were dire. Lovely man that he was, his football was abysmal.

Graham was like a breath of fresh air. He injected a winning mentality into the squad - getting rid of free-loaders and end of career pensioners, and bringing in winners. Kevin Richardson was an inspired signing. A League winner with Everton, he was exactly what we needed in central midfield. Never stopped battling for the whole game.

There was a bit of magic about that era.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk