Calum Chambers joins Aston Villa

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Calum Chambers (21)

Postby ESR10 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:16 pm

KG3 wrote:I’d keep him ahead of Holding, he’s not only better but he can also cover RB and CDM.

Holding just renewed his contract so this ship has probably already sailed. Holding is part of the squad next year
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby KG3 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:41 am

ESR10 wrote:
KG3 wrote:I’d keep him ahead of Holding, he’s not only better but he can also cover RB and CDM.

Holding just renewed his contract so this ship has probably already sailed. Holding is part of the squad next year

Contracts mean nothing in football these days
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:08 am

KG3 wrote:
ESR10 wrote:

Contracts mean nothing in football these days

Ask Wilfried Zaha why he's still at Palace and ask him if contracts mean nothing.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:30 pm

Hope we sign him up to deal but I don't think he'd have played today if Bellerin hadn't picked up an injury.

I think large squad is giving Arteta a selection headache. As seen with Mari getting a game from nowhere, I have a feeling he's having to rotate some senior players to keep them happy.

I hope Chambers gets to play again and has a run of games. He's earned it.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Not good enough for Arsenal.
Had a good second half vs West Ham, though, must admit.
But, sell.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:56 pm

He's a solid player and at this stage, most importantly a fighter! We are going to need people like him in the dressing room.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:57 pm

Rockape wrote:He's a solid player and at this stage, most importantly a fighter! We are going to need people like him in the dressing room.

I'd rather have a good player who was a fighter. Solid is great and all, but they have those in the Championship.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ESR10 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:53 pm

Rockape wrote:He's a solid player and at this stage, most importantly a fighter! We are going to need people like him in the dressing room.

Agreed
ESR10

Postby theHotHead » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:25 pm

Not good enough, why are we happy to keep these players who should never have been Arsenal players in the first place !

Xhaka, Elneny, Chambers, Nelson, Willock, Cedric ... I'm undecided about Holding, these players have no place being Arsenal players. Bellerin showed promise but has since joined this list. We have eroded squad quality so much people are happy to see these players as squad members, it makes my want to throw up in my mouth.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:30 pm

Hopefully added some value to his fee and we get rid in the summer.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:20 pm

Valuable backup option at RB/RCB even if we buy Lamptey. He's 26 and entering his prime, if he can stay fit.

He might even be worth a nice fee in a year or two if he get regular game time.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Marvellous. Would have been a heck of a goal. Great ball from Chambers.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:01 pm

theHotHead wrote:Not good enough, why are we happy to keep these players who should never have been Arsenal players in the first place !

Xhaka, Elneny, Chambers, Nelson, Willock, Cedric ... I'm undecided about Holding, these players have no place being Arsenal players. Bellerin showed promise but has since joined this list. We have eroded squad quality so much people are happy to see these players as squad members, it makes my want to throw up in my mouth.

Exactly - a good half of football (attacking wise) and people forget that he has been average (being kind) since he's been with us.
Just not good enough for any team hoping to win the PL.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:22 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Not good enough, why are we happy to keep these players who should never have been Arsenal players in the first place !

Exactly - a good half of football (attacking wise) and people forget that he has been average (being kind) since he's been with us.
Just not good enough for any team hoping to win the PL.

I don't understand how people fail to recognize that every professional football player in top leagues will have a few of these world class games. They're clearly a cut above the common folks.

What filters the wheat from the chaff is how consistently they can replicate their form, or re-produce top performances.

A bloke like Zaha can be unreal on his day, but he won't be able to replicate the same performances on a consistent basis.

It's the same with managers. They may get everything right for a season or two. What separates the elites from the good ones is sustained success—relative to the size and stature of the club.

Take Xhaka, for example. He can have great games. But he's not a great midfielder. Part of the reason why we've struggled so much since he's become a regular is simply because he's a mid-table quality midfielder in a club aspiring to be amongst Europe's best.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Because people still have their minds stuck in 2003 when we were the pinnacle of English football along with Utd.

We don't have the money, or more importantly an owner who's willing to spend the sort of money for us to have a top tier squad from goalie to Striker outside of our starting 11, if that.

Even worse is we're chasing names who are at the bottom of Elite which is what got us stuck with Mustafi, Xhaka and co over guys who will actually perform and fight for the club.

I'm not saying we can't get or have good players, I'm saying Kroenke is not going to go out there and just buy us a team like City do, or spend £80m on a CB like Liverpool or Utd.

Chambers / Cedric are fine, if they're holding back the team then it becomes a priority position and then we can address it.

If those two are a problem then we have problems all over the pitch.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football