Calum Chambers joins Aston Villa

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Calum Chambers (21)

Postby Zenith » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:44 pm

aniym wrote:Did 90 mins today on his first start since Dec 2019 (!)

And did not look out of place at all.

Only Burnley, of course, but still. :clap:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Santi » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:26 pm

Looked fine, still don't like him as a RB but a good utility player.

I heard Jefferson Montero put in a transfer request to Burnley before kick off but didn't get through in time.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 pm

Solid on his return. Good to have him back available for his versatility alone.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:37 pm

He was pretty solid in the weeks and months prior to his injury as well.

Come summer he'll only have a year left on his contract so decisions will have to be made.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Callum » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:58 am

Zenith wrote:He was pretty solid in the weeks and months prior to his injury as well.

Come summer he'll only have a year left on his contract so decisions will have to be made.

He's a decent squad option but for the sake of his own career he needs a move. I can't see him playing regular football here (unless Arteta gives him a run at right-back and he holds down that spot—stranger things have happened) and he's just turned 26. He needs to be playing regularly at this stage of his career.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:15 pm

Callum wrote:
Zenith wrote:He was pretty solid in the weeks and months prior to his injury as well.

He's a decent squad option but for the sake of his own career he needs a move. I can't see him playing regular football here (unless Arteta gives him a run at right-back and he holds down that spot—stranger things have happened) and he's just turned 26. He needs to be playing regularly at this stage of his career.

I pretty much echo the same opinions.

My weighing of our options at right back still comes down in favour of recruitment, rather than a conviction that Soares would better the promise from the addition of an Arrons, Lamptey or Hakimi would, but I'm questioning whether my mindset is coloured by having initially viewed him more as a solid back up to one of the above.

Chambers is probably as proficient at right back as he is at centre half, whilst a consensus from Fulham fans would scream (no Laca, not talking about you) that we are missing a trick by not playing him at the base of midfield screening the defence given how he seemed to master that role playing for them.

Never mind Luiz, Mari and Magalhaes' that I wouldn't put him ahead of at centre back as things stand, I'm still more swayed by the promise offered by Saliba and Mavropanos for a starting central defender role if I'm brutally honest. For me, only his best mate Holding would be vulnerable to him rediscovering that form and level of performance on display at the time of his injury.

For my own selfish reasoning of too many than not enough (power point slides of Liverpool for subliminal messaging effect please) I would retain the likable Englishman along the lines of a James Milner, but in considering what might be best for his playing career right now, then leaving to play week in week out probably is the smart move for him to make.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Chambers can play RB and CB, similar to Tierney who's played LB and LCB. He's at an age where we can still make money by selling, so we should either cash in now or extend and sell him in a couple of years.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 am

He can also play as DM but I don't see a career for him here. Shame it hasn't worked out for him.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Some appreciation for that performances from Chambers. Awesome. Described as Cafu like. :biggrin:
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Losmeister » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:22 pm

defo came on in the 2nd half... the 2nd OG looked earmarked for an Auba tap in....
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:26 pm

He was a beast at the early part of last season as well. Creating chances and scoring before the injury.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ESR10 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:36 pm

aniym wrote:He was a beast at the early part of last season as well. Creating chances and scoring before the injury.

Yes, he is also so versatile and Hg. You need a player of this type in every squad, would like him to stay
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby BexleyGooner » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:48 pm

His crossing ability puts Hector to shame. I honestly don’t know who our best RB is out of Chambers, Bellers and Cedric.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby KG3 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:22 pm

I’d keep him ahead of Holding, he’s not only better but he can also cover RB and CDM.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:16 pm

BexleyGooner wrote:His crossing ability puts Hector to shame. I honestly don’t know who our best RB is out of Chambers, Bellers and Cedric.

We should get Bellerin off the wage bill and get that transfer fee from PSG.

He's only hyped on by name recognition where as we can keep Cedric and Chambers, have the same if not better output and cost less.

Its a great situation if AFC play their cards right.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football