Calum Chambers joins Aston Villa

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Calum Chambers (21)

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Mustafi wrote:
Leftrightleft wrote:Sorry. The lad is nowhere near what we need

He had a very good game after a quite successful loan. I'm not saying he's essentially the answer to our problems but give him a break

Is this the new "hes still young, give him time"?

Is the ghost of Lord Glass Ankles not enough to remind you of the folly of backing mediocrity?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 pm

I don't trust him. Did fine v Newcastle and no complaints but last couple of seasons he's been relegated twice having stinkers at both loan clubs. Wasn't he moved out of cb last year cos he was that bad? And played in dm?

Not good enough for those clubs. Nowhere near good enough for us.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Zenith » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Ach wrote:

I don't trust him. Did fine v Newcastle and no complaints but last couple of seasons he's been relegated twice having stinkers at both loan clubs. Wasn't he moved out of cb last year cos he was that bad? And played in dm?

Not good enough for those clubs. Nowhere near good enough for us.

Do agree CC hasn't done enough to suggest he's starter material, but that statement is not true.

fulhamfc.com
Chambers Wins Player of the Season

Saturday 25 May 2019 11:00

Calum Chambers is the overwhelming winner of Fulham’s 2018/19 Player of the Season award.

Almost half of the fans opted for the midfielder as our best performer in the campaign just gone as he claimed 48.4 per cent of the votes – more than three times as many as his nearest challenger.

After a mixed start to his career in South-West London, it was his transformation into central midfield that kickstarted his fortunes in black and white.

Anfield was a baptism of fire in the new position for Chambers, but he came out of an unfortunate 2-0 defeat by Liverpool with plenty of credit, and never looked back.

A protector of the back-four who also looked to join the attack when possible, Chambers quickly became a real favourite of the Fulham faithful and departs the Club as one of our most popular ever loanees.

Indeed, it’s extremely rare that an on-loan player walks away from a temporary spell at any club with such an accolade.

Chambers was near the top of the charts in the squad for a variety of statistics across the season; number one for interceptions (2.2 per game), second for tackles (2.1), and third for dribbles (1), successful aerial duels (2.1) and passes (47.9) per match.

“I’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone,” Calum said upon finding out the news. “I want to wish everyone at Fulham Football Club the very best for next season. It would be great to see you back in the Premier League soon.”

Our top scorer Aleksandar Mitrović was runner-up in the voting with 14.1 per cent, putting him marginally ahead of Ryan Babel (13.2) who excelled following his January arrival.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby ag6789 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:37 pm

He has matured, and should get more outings. Maybe we should play Luiz as front Libero , and play any two between Holding, Chambers and Sokratis behind him. Especially in difficult games.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:35 pm

I think the best case scenario is Chambers plays a fair few games this season, impresses, and then we can sell him for £20-30m next season. He's a good player and I wouldn't write him off but I don't think we'll need him beyond this season given our other options (Sokratis, Luiz, Holding and Saliba).
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:40 am

Callum wrote:I think the best case scenario is Chambers plays a fair few games this season, impresses, and then we can sell him for £20-30m next season. He's a good player and I wouldn't write him off but I don't think we'll need him beyond this season given our other options (Sokratis, Luiz, Holding and Saliba).

I'd argue we do need him or players of his age at least.

Sok and luiz will be 32 next year, so we will need someone there to cover when they are injured or just cant back game after game physically.

Hopefully we get upamenco or someone of his calibre so he doesnt matter as much. If not, weve got to be careful of the inevitable downturn both those two will face as they get older and start losing pace / stamina etc
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby ESR10 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Zedie wrote:
Callum wrote:I think the best case scenario is Chambers plays a fair few games this season, impresses, and then we can sell him for £20-30m next season. He's a good player and I wouldn't write him off but I don't think we'll need him beyond this season given our other options (Sokratis, Luiz, Holding and Saliba).

I'd argue we do need him or players of his age at least.

Sok and luiz will be 32 next year, so we will need someone there to cover when they are injured or just cant back game after game physically.

Hopefully we get upamenco or someone of his calibre so he doesnt matter as much. If not, weve got to be careful of the inevitable downturn both those two will face as they get older and start losing pace / stamina etc

Plus he can cover as DM and for a lesser extent as a RB, and he's homegrown
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Zenith » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:29 pm

A moment of appreciation for one of the men who got us back into the game.

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby themessiah » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:29 pm

has been good in his cameos this season, should be starting ahead of Sokratis who has looked bad since Newcastle game
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ESR10 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Would play him along Holding as a CB

He looks much better this season. Sure he will make some errors, but I am quite sure he won't be worse than Papa and Luiz.
ESR10

Postby Dejan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:21 pm

Lol be careful what you wish for

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:58 pm

themessiah wrote:has been good in his cameos this season, should be starting ahead of Sokratis who has looked bad since Newcastle game

I'm inclined to agree with you on this. I put forward a case for him to be given another opportunity in the 'how do we line up this season' and 'Match day Eintract Frankfurt' threads previously, and if anything I'm of the simple view that right now he is practically the best of a bad bunch and closely followed by Mustafi. And no, I never saw that coming either.

I have no issue with the criticism and ridiculing of players where there is some foundation to do so, but equally, credit where credits due.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:23 pm

He's not very good but he's coming good.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:57 pm

Play him at RB until Bellerin returns.

How that clown AMN is getting starts ahead of this guy who's clearly better is annoying me.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:53 pm

Absolute dog toilet under Wenger and his loans

Plays for emery, looks completely different.

Keep him in th first team.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football