Calum Chambers joins Aston Villa

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Calum Chambers (21)

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:21 pm

What I think is a fair statement to make is that the manager seems to recognise that squads can prove more efficient with one, two or three players even who are capable of playing in more than one position.

I for one am glad not to have heard mention again of Saka playing left wing back suggested by some at the time his best position. That he occupies the right wing as well as he does the left whilst a few see a role in midfield might still be his best position yet, that ability to play multiple roles to the same high level is like the evolvolution of the utility player beyond just doing a job.

Maitland-Niles failed to recognise that the qualities spotted to suggest a better return from full back, should outweigh personal preferences when his best performance was in nullifying one of the league's most feared attacking players along with his most notable efforts being identified there also, which along with consistent reliability, would have earned a lot of credit in the bank in the event of playing midfield arising and at the very least then just need show adaptability and versatility to warrant further consideration.

However, Maitland-Niles' loss could be Chambers gain. That he would at best be battling for fifth spot on my roster of five central defenders for next year, his competency at right back implies being good squad back up there too gives additional cover the likes of which Liverpool wish they'd had.

Both Bellerin and Chambers suffering long term injury have hampered their development but in the latter showing much more fight and determination is why he joins Cedric in leap frogging the Spaniard in my opinion. The sight of him getting bounced off Jack Grealish as though wearing an inflatable fat suit with shades of Lomu Vs Underwood, put the seal on things for me
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:18 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Not good enough, why are we happy to keep these players who should never have been Arsenal players in the first place !

Xhaka, Elneny, Chambers, Nelson, Willock, Cedric ... I'm undecided about Holding, these players have no place being Arsenal players. Bellerin showed promise but has since joined this list. We have eroded squad quality so much people are happy to see these players as squad members, it makes my want to throw up in my mouth.

Because people still have their minds stuck in 2003 when we were the pinnacle of English football along with Utd.

We don't have the money, or more importantly an owner who's willing to spend the sort of money for us to have a top tier squad from goalie to Striker outside of our starting 11, if that.

Even worse is we're chasing names who are at the bottom of Elite which is what got us stuck with Mustafi, Xhaka and co over guys who will actually perform and fight for the club.

I'm not saying we can't get or have good players, I'm saying Kroenke is not going to go out there and just buy us a team like City do, or spend £80m on a CB like Liverpool or Utd.

Chambers / Cedric are fine, if they're holding back the team then it becomes a priority position and then we can address it.

If those two are a problem then we have problems all over the pitch.

Well, yeah, we do have problems all over the pitch.

Tierney cost 25m.. we didn;t have to spend 80m.
Chambers has proven over a long period that he is not good enough.
What exactly is going to change?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:37 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:What I think is a fair statement to make is that the manager seems to recognise that squads can prove more efficient with one, two or three players even who are capable of playing in more than one position.

I for one am glad not to have heard mention again of Saka playing left wing back suggested by some at the time his best position. That he occupies the right wing as well as he does the left whilst a few see a role in midfield might still be his best position yet, that ability to play multiple roles to the same high level is like the evolvolution of the utility player beyond just doing a job.

Maitland-Niles failed to recognise that the qualities spotted to suggest a better return from full back, should outweigh personal preferences when his best performance was in nullifying one of the league's most feared attacking players along with his most notable efforts being identified there also, which along with consistent reliability, would have earned a lot of credit in the bank in the event of playing midfield arising and at the very least then just need show adaptability and versatility to warrant further consideration.

However, Maitland-Niles' loss could be Chambers gain. That he would at best be battling for fifth spot on my roster of five central defenders for next year, his competency at right back implies being good squad back up there too gives additional cover the likes of which Liverpool wish they'd had.

Both Bellerin and Chambers suffering long term injury have hampered their development but in the latter showing much more fight and determination is why he joins Cedric in leap frogging the Spaniard in my opinion. The sight of him getting bounced off Jack Grealish as though wearing an inflatable fat suit with shades of Lomu Vs Underwood, put the seal on things for me

Good post but what I'll add about AMN is that I don't think he opted out of playing as right back. Central midfield is his preference but from the sound of his interviews, not playing at all was his problem at Arsenal and why he wanted to move. Finding a team willing to play in his preferred position was a bonus.

With Chambers, it was a solid performance but it doesn't mean he'll get a run of games and keep his place. He played his first 90 minutes against Dundalk in the group stages of the Europa ages ago and has been called upon until now. I don't know if he keeps his starting place after this performance. That's the problem with Arteta. It's not really a meritocracy and a good performance doesn't necessarily mean you've earned a starting place. For certain players even after a few good performances, one blip can push you out of the team as if the other games didn't build enough credit with him. I don't know how AMN lost his position to Bellerin and Cedric considering how poor they performed in comparison to him. Also, if a good utility player is valued then surely AMN would have had more playing in other areas in the pitch when needed. That didn't happen and he was just frozen out but he's not the only one.

Is Rob Holding fit? He hasn’t played a game in over a month. I believe we've played 7 games since his last appearance. What's happened?

Then we have Nelson never getting a chance.

Pepe in his best form all season but getting dropped back to the bench.

Cedric having a good run then getting dropped and reduced to sporadic appearances.

..Martinelli....it's a lot. Xhaka, Leno and Saka if fit are probably the only nailed on starters in this team. I think the squad is too big for him. When asked about players that aren't being featured, on two occasions now he has said there isn't much more the fringe players can do in training to get into the squad. They're training hard and playing well but they have to be patient. During the Europa League when the kids were playing he said that and recently when asked about Martinelli. We'll see how it plays out but I don't think being able to play multiple positions will work in Chambers' favour.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby KG3 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:51 pm

Callum wrote:
KG3 wrote:
ESR10 wrote:
KG3 wrote:I’d keep him ahead of Holding, he’s not only better but he can also cover RB and CDM.

Holding just renewed his contract so this ship has probably already sailed. Holding is part of the squad next year

Contracts mean nothing in football these days

Ask Wilfried Zaha why he's still at Palace and ask him if contracts mean nothing.

Zaha would be playing for us if we offered the right money, If it was that simple as you say Fabregas would have stayed here considering his contract at Arsenal
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Our number 1 right back?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Not good enough for Arsenal.
PLayed pretty well tonight - against a pub team.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:14 pm

We tend to write people of too quickly. There are late bloomers in life in every sphere. Lets give them a chance who are improving.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:28 pm

He's good to have as back up right back cos he can cover CB and DM in an emergency.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:29 pm

I really hope he never plays DM for us
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:46 pm

Ach wrote:I really hope he never plays DM for us

Was quality there for Fulham when he was on loan, plus he’s also more mobile than Xhaka, comfortable passing forward unlike Elneny, he’d do well as a CDM with the right setup
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:27 pm

Lacks pace but hey, so did Adam's it's all about the positioning,
Amazing how sometimes a mixture works when least expected,
Our best backline is in tatters but these guys are doing the business
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:31 pm

He can cross a ball very well.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Callum » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:52 pm

Starting to think we should keep him for next season. Been brilliant of late.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 pm

If Bellerin leaves, RB is covered with him and Cedric. Spend the money elsewhere.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:34 am

I've got time for Chambers. He'll be tested against better opposition and if he does well deserves to keep his spot.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football