CONFIRMED: Vermaelen moves to Barça

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

CONFIRMED: Vermaelen moves to Barça

Postby Git » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:40 am

Thomas Vermaelen has informed Arsene Wenger of his desire to leave Arsenal this summer, according to a report in Belgian publication La Dernière Heure.

Claiming to have spoken to the Belgian international’s representatives, Sports Entertainment Group, the newspaper says that Manchester United made a tentative approach for the centre-back in January but that the player’s current injury problems and a lack of cover at the Emirates scuppered any possibility of a move.

As has been well-documented Vermaelen has cut a frustrated figure this season spending most of the last twelve months on the bench as back up to Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny.

The 28-year-old has previously been linked to Napoli and Zenit St Petersburg and will likely have a number of suitors come the summer especially if he gets minutes in the World Cup.

Given Bacary Sagna, Wenger’s de facto fourth choice centre-back, is stalling on a new deal it looks as though defensive reinforcements will be top of the list this summer for the Gunners.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/02/report ... is-summer/
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Vermaelen set to leave in the summer

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:56 am

Disappointing but understandable. I just hope he's adequately replaced!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: Vermaelen set to leave in the summer

Postby Massa » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:59 am

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:Disappointing but understandable. I just hope he's adequately replaced!
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Sagna, Fabianski and now Vermaelen. Add to that a top quality striker and a DM. It is going to be one busy summer.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Massa wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:Disappointing but understandable. I just hope he's adequately replaced!

+1

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Sagna, Fabianski and now Vermaelen. Add to that a top quality striker and a DM. It is going to be one busy summer.

Yep! Busy letting go of our players and not replacing them. :sneaky2:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Sooooo, we're going to have to be really f***ing buys in the summer. 2 GKs, 1 (possibly 2) centerbacks, a right back, a holding midfielder and a striker. How many of those do you think Wenger will actually bring decent quality in for?
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Callum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:55 pm

I'll be sad to see Vermaelen go but I can understand why he'd want to seek pastures new. I think it's important we buy a young player who won't mind playing second fiddle to Mertesacker and Koscielny but has the potential to go on to become a regular first-teamer for us.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Schlandi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:Sagna, Fabianski and now Vermaelen. Add to that a top quality striker and a DM. It is going to be one busy summer.

I'm quiet sure you can also add Podolski to that list.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:03 pm

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:Sooooo, we're going to have to be really f***ing buys in the summer. 2 GKs, 1 (possibly 2) centerbacks, a right back, a holding midfielder and a striker. How many of those do you think Wenger will actually bring decent quality in for?

But, but, but... Wenger said last summer that it's never advisable to bring more than 2 or 3 players in because it tends to disrupt the balance of the team. ;)

What we need: 2 CBs, a RB, a back-up GK, a DM, a winger (Poldi is off in the summer), and a striker.

Let's see:

- Flamini can play RB. No need to buy RB because he's a good enough back up for BEAST Carl.
- Flamini can play CB. No need to get a back up CB as well.
- Nobody can play GK, so yes, we'll get a back up GK.
- Flamini and Arteta can play DM. Plus, LE COQ is back.
- Giroud, Sanogo, Walcott can all play as strikers so... Also, everybody at Arsenal can play as a CF. That's not me saying it. Wenger said so...

That means, in the summer, we will get a GK. We will also get somebody like Draxler, and the Board will say, "See, we can spend money too!" While we still don't spend on that striker and DM, or replace the departed players! :arse flag.gif:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Trina » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:04 pm

What's annoying is come the summer all we will do is replace who's gone and still not get the extra players we need.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby ivan itchybum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Not good enough to start but too good to be left out all the time. Disappointing if he does go but you can't blame him.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Trina wrote:What's annoying is come the summer all we will do is replace who's gone and still not get the extra players we need.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

i sure hope this isnt the case
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Vermaelen set to leave in the summer

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:31 pm

If players like TV, BS and maybe MA/LP are likely to be off anyway then it would be the perfect summer for a new manager to come in and stamp his authority on the squad.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:If players like TV, BS and maybe MA/LP are likely to be off anyway then it would be the perfect summer for a new manager to come in and stamp his authority on the squad.

ok...
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:33 pm

No1Fan wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:If players like TV, BS and maybe MA/LP are likely to be off anyway then it would be the perfect summer for a new manager to come in and stamp his authority on the squad.

ok...

:cheers:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Next