Is there an anti-Arsenal agenda going on?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Is there an anti-Arsenal agenda going on?

Postby Dejan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:52 am

No there isnt.

We just dont know how to defend

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:09 am

No anti Arsenal agenda at all.

Luiz was in the wrong position in the 1st place, he should have stayed in position instead of coming up to the Wolves player, Partey wasn’t far from him. Having put himself in that position clearly he was going to get outpaced, upon doing that he should have stayed left away from the player as he was never going to stop him, instead he goes across the back of him and catches him with his knee, albeit very lightly, but with the rules that’s a sending off.

Really poor defending, shows a complete lack of footballing intelligence.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:32 am

Feels more like an anti-defending, or even anti-football agenda. Started by the likes of Wenger referring to teams as 'rugby teams' and styles of play as 'anti-football'. Purists want tackling/contact eliminated and I'm sad to say the appear to be getting their way.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:23 am

No agenda whatsoever. If our players adhered to the rules they wouldn't get punished. Simple.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:44 pm

Fwiw the ref and var took about five seconds to review the Luiz incident while they took about five minutes to review a similar incident in the United Soton game. And even with that amount of time they decided to give a penalty and a red card for something I personally would not have given. Quite sure only a few teams would be lucky to get a decision like that and I’m quite sure, more often than not, we wouldn’t be one of them. A little more consistency from the match officials would be nice
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:33 pm

No.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:37 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Fwiw the ref and var took about five seconds to review the Luiz incident while they took about five minutes to review a similar incident in the United Soton game. And even with that amount of time they decided to give a penalty and a red card for something I personally would not have given. Quite sure only a few teams would be lucky to get a decision like that and I’m quite sure, more often than not, we wouldn’t be one of them. A little more consistency from the match officials would be nice

Bednarek’s red card overturned. Luiz’s stands.

Would love to hear the reason for this
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Phil71 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:36 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Fwiw the ref and var took about five seconds to review the Luiz incident while they took about five minutes to review a similar incident in the United Soton game. And even with that amount of time they decided to give a penalty and a red card for something I personally would not have given. Quite sure only a few teams would be lucky to get a decision like that and I’m quite sure, more often than not, we wouldn’t be one of them. A little more consistency from the match officials would be nice

Bednarek accidentally clipped Martial when Martial was already falling over.

Luiz accidentally clipped Jose when he was in full flight and bearing down on goal.

There's the difference.

I agree that the Luiz offence deserved a penalty. I disagree with the rule that says it should be accompanied with a red card.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby VCC » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:43 pm

I dont understand how players that are late and have a niggle from behind get away with it no cards as seen in our last manure match, but you have a player tackle in a 50 50 get the ball totally first and then the player is a free kick and some times booking.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 am

Phil71 wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

Bednarek accidentally clipped Martial when Martial was already falling over.

Luiz accidentally clipped Jose when he was in full flight and bearing down on goal.

There's the difference.

I agree that the Luiz offence deserved a penalty. I disagree with the rule that says it should be accompanied with a red card.

Both cases were accidental.

There was minimal contact in both cases.

Both attacking players were bearing down on goal.

So you’re telling me that just because one case looked more manufactured than the other, it deserves special treatment.

You say martial was already going down before the contact. Well I say he went down after the contact which seems to be the case no matter how many times I look at it.

Who’s to say that Jose didn’t manufacture his foul or who’s to say martial did. Maybe Jose is an expert con artist and martial is a featherweight who falls in an overly dramatic way. Just because someone is a better diver than someone else, it should not mean that we get two different rulings on what looks like a nearly identical incident.

I’ll give another example from the same game as to why I think Luiz’s red card should have been overturned with the Bednarek ruling in mind. Neto later in the game was in our box and was about to get his shot off but was put off because Holding pulled back Neto’s arm. This may have resulted in a goal for them if the pull didn’t occur but the referee and var did not see this as a foul or a booking. We’ve seen many examples like this where contact does not result in a foul. As such, common sense tells me that just because there’s contact in an incident, it does not mean that the incident is a foul. Given this and for the sake of consistency, the final judgment should have been any one of the following:

Bednarek’s red card should have stood,
Luiz’s red card should have been overturned,
Luiz’s foul should not have been given,
or the Neto incident should have at the very least been given as a penalty and Luiz’s red card later overturned.

VCC wrote:I dont understand how players that are late and have a niggle from behind get away with it no cards as seen in our last manure match, but you have a player tackle in a 50 50 get the ball totally first and then the player is a free kick and some times booking.

Exactly.

There is a subconscious, or in some cases intentional, bias for and against certain teams imho. That’s the most appropriate way I can explain the inconsistencies we see in these decisions
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:39 am

Why would referees be biased against a mid table team? If we were up there challenging or winning you could make a case (although I still don’t think agendas/bias exist in football, it’s just that mistakes are made), but not when you’re in midtable not really challenging for anything.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Özim wrote:Why would referees be biased against a mid table team? If we were up there challenging or winning you could make a case (although I still don’t think agendas/bias exist in football, it’s just that mistakes are made), but not when you’re in midtable not really challenging for anything.

Look at our history. We’re not supposed to be midtable club. If you dislike a side, you would simply do whatever it takes to inflict as much pain to that club as possible regardless of where they sit in the table. Similarly, if you like a team you’ll do whatever’s in your power to make sure that side achieves top honors. I’m sure you have teams you dislike and if you were refereeing those teams you can’t tell me that you wouldn’t be tempted to give decisions against those teams regardless of if they’re at the top of the table or in the lowest division of England
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:49 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Both cases were accidental.

So you’re telling me that just because one case looked more manufactured than the other, it deserves special treatment.

You say martial was already going down before the contact. Well I say he went down after the contact which seems to be the case no matter how many times I look at it.

Who’s to say that Jose didn’t manufacture his foul or who’s to say martial did. Maybe Jose is an expert con artist and martial is a featherweight who falls in an overly dramatic way. Just because someone is a better diver than someone else, it should not mean that we get two different rulings on what looks like a nearly identical incident.

I’ll give another example from the same game as to why I think Luiz’s red card should have been overturned with the Bednarek ruling in mind. Neto later in the game was in our box and was about to get his shot off but was put off because Holding pulled back Neto’s arm. This may have resulted in a goal for them if the pull didn’t occur but the referee and var did not see this as a foul or a booking. We’ve seen many examples like this where contact does not result in a foul. As such, common sense tells me that just because there’s contact in an incident, it does not mean that the incident is a foul. Given this and for the sake of consistency, the final judgment should have been any one of the following:

or the Neto incident should have at the very least been given as a penalty and Luiz’s red card later overturned.

VCC wrote:I dont understand how players that are late and have a niggle from behind get away with it no cards as seen in our last manure match, but you have a player tackle in a 50 50 get the ball totally first and then the player is a free kick and some times booking.

Exactly.

There is a subconscious, or in some cases intentional, bias for and against certain teams imho. That’s the most appropriate way I can explain the inconsistencies we see in these decisions

:clap:

Exactly spot on. People forget that football is a contact sport, not all contact is a foul. Because I touch you in the box unless the touch was sufficient to make you lose your balance or fall its not a foul. 2 players crossing paths is accidental contact, unless there is clear intent from one player to connect with the other player.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:02 pm

theHotHead wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Both cases were accidental.

Exactly.

:clap:

Exactly spot on. People forget that football is a contact sport, not all contact is a foul. Because I touch you in the box unless the touch was sufficient to make you lose your balance or fall its not a foul. 2 players crossing paths is accidental contact, unless there is clear intent from one player to connect with the other player.

You could even throw in the Soucek incident into the conversation. An accidental elbow to the face of Mitrovic that sees Soucek receive a red card gets overturned but Luiz’s knee scratching Jose’s heel does not. C’mon...
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:25 pm

My mate dodgy Dave swears that he overheard a discussion between BBC executives on whether to commission a one off comedy special featuring Romesh Ranganathan, Rob Beckett, Ian Stone and Jack Whitehall based on Premier League referees titled, 'Mock the Weak Minded'. True story, honest.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk