Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby swipe right » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:49 am

starmandb wrote:I dont accept that I will never see a better side than we saw under wenger
How can I believe that when I saw Arsenal’s 70/71 side and our 2001/02 side bettered?
Global franchise
What does that mean?
Only one Arsenal
The one that wenger arrived at was only behind Liverpool as the most decorated club in the country
We were on the map globally
From my first days of going it was always in the programme how we were welcoming such and such fanclub from somewhere in the world.
Arsenal was wenger?
What an insult to you,I & anyone that ever had a care for this club
Wenger was a great chapter of this club’s history but unlike us was paid to do so
I don’t doubt his affection but I believe his desire to do everything rather than delegate well ended up very damaging
In fact his nose was put out of joint when he had keown helping defence wise during our run to the champions league final and he was jettisoned
Are people unequivocally backing Arteta?
Of course 10th is not good enough but does not moaning about every aspect of the club mean you are happy with his management?
To say Wenger never complained is a joke
His excuse mongery regarding tiredness, refereeing, pitches engendered an excuse culture at the club that meant 4th became a trophy and good enough
Never was this more realised than after the Eduardo injury he spoke of how 4 points clear at the top Arsenal were not going to be able to be lifted as they were very down
Not
“ we got a point on a difficult day, we go again”
I wanted Wenger gone because he had seen what he had now and it was never going to be good enough again.
Just participating is not good enough
We should be competing to win and setting up sides in the best way to do so
Was that losing leads at Chelsea and United in that 07/08 season plus the champions league at Liverpool?
A naivety that continued in games like Monaco
A pragmatist learns from mistakes
He refused to and I believe later was unable to
If wenger wanted more ambition from the Board why didn’t he quit?
He was as comfortable taking the shilling as the board were in getting the champions league money.
Not good enough for a fan who wants us trying to win the lot
The Neutrals like watching us play
Arghh that’s nice......
Couldn’t give a f**k what the neutrals think
We are in the business of. Winning trophies
If we do it playing well that’s a bonus
But winning is everything
Wenger had a fantastic team in the Champions league and failed to utelise it properly
Messi and Ronaldo?
Utter puffery thrown out as spin
Pay and players will come and play
At a great club in a major city in the world
They didn’t
We didn’t
Tell us less show us more
Wenger still gets mentioned because as sure as eggs are eggs( happy Easter by the way) the careful what you wish for brigade would always harp back to him.
I wanted better
Still do
Always will

Let me introduce you to the internet. Your posts must be short, partially true and provocative. Nobody has time to read these war and peace tomes that you’re writing.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 am

starmandb wrote:I dont accept that I will never see a better side than we saw under wenger
How can I believe that when I saw Arsenal’s 70/71 side and our 2001/02 side bettered?
Global franchise
What does that mean?
Only one Arsenal
The one that wenger arrived at was only behind Liverpool as the most decorated club in the country
We were on the map globally
From my first days of going it was always in the programme how we were welcoming such and such fanclub from somewhere in the world.
Arsenal was wenger?
What an insult to you,I & anyone that ever had a care for this club
Wenger was a great chapter of this club’s history but unlike us was paid to do so
I don’t doubt his affection but I believe his desire to do everything rather than delegate well ended up very damaging
In fact his nose was put out of joint when he had keown helping defence wise during our run to the champions league final and he was jettisoned
Are people unequivocally backing Arteta?
Of course 10th is not good enough but does not moaning about every aspect of the club mean you are happy with his management?
To say Wenger never complained is a joke
His excuse mongery regarding tiredness, refereeing, pitches engendered an excuse culture at the club that meant 4th became a trophy and good enough
Never was this more realised than after the Eduardo injury he spoke of how 4 points clear at the top Arsenal were not going to be able to be lifted as they were very down
Not
“ we got a point on a difficult day, we go again”
I wanted Wenger gone because he had seen what he had now and it was never going to be good enough again.
Just participating is not good enough
We should be competing to win and setting up sides in the best way to do so
Was that losing leads at Chelsea and United in that 07/08 season plus the champions league at Liverpool?
A naivety that continued in games like Monaco
A pragmatist learns from mistakes
He refused to and I believe later was unable to
If wenger wanted more ambition from the Board why didn’t he quit?
He was as comfortable taking the shilling as the board were in getting the champions league money.
Not good enough for a fan who wants us trying to win the lot
The Neutrals like watching us play
Arghh that’s nice......
Couldn’t give a f**k what the neutrals think
We are in the business of. Winning trophies
If we do it playing well that’s a bonus
But winning is everything
Wenger had a fantastic team in the Champions league and failed to utelise it properly
Messi and Ronaldo?
Utter puffery thrown out as spin
Pay and players will come and play
At a great club in a major city in the world
They didn’t
We didn’t
Tell us less show us more
Wenger still gets mentioned because as sure as eggs are eggs( happy Easter by the way) the careful what you wish for brigade would always harp back to him.
I wanted better
Still do
Always will


Good response.
User avatar
Power n Glory
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:37 am

Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Santi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:We could play any system we could care to imagine and we'd end up in the same place, simply because the players are not good enough.
It's way past time to just accept that fact.
We put a gloss on players ability because they play for us.
The number of times I hear, "we must be able to do better if Leicester can be in the top 4", or "our player are better than theirs". The problem is our players are not better than the Leicester players, or the West Ham players, or the Everton players and certainly not the City, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool players.


Completely agree. One or two players can get carried by a system but when you have so many inconsistent players with bad attitude then it's always going to be tough.


Santi - this is the train Arteta missed. From day 1 he must have known that 90% of the players were not good enough for Arsenal.
Instead of the revolution in terms of player replacements that was obviously needed, Arteta went for evolution. Huge mistake and one he can't correct now. It's too late.



How did he miss it? He’s had 1 window to actually spend any significant sum of money and that was with COVID impact in which we still managed to have a decent window.

Can’t change a squad of 25 inside a year.


His job is to get the best out of what he has, he’s brought in a fair few players and already yet we’re worse than we’ve ever been.

You make so many excuses for the guy, a guy who by the way has never shown he’s actually capable of being a decent manager.

In the end he sets the tactics, picks the teams (and often picks the wrong players), motivates the players etc and yet we’re 10th in the league, he’s also shown to be worse than Emery who had an inferior squad.

This support for Arteta is a joke, he hasn’t earnt it, doesn’t deserve it and is an average manager at best, this guy WILL NOT lead us to where we should be, he’ll just keep us as a bunch of midtable nobodies which some fans seem to be happy to accept.

Get rid of him and find someone decent, someone who is actually based on tangible results and not unsubstantiated hype.


West Ham and Villa were close to relegation last season. Everton were near the bottom as well, changed manager but still only managed a mid table finish. Leeds weren't even in the Premier League last season but are somehow level on points with us whilst the other clubs I mentioned are above us. How is that they've been able to make bigger strides in progress in one window yet we can't?
User avatar
Power n Glory
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby swipe right » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:33 am

Again, we have a better squad than people are recognizing. This squad is better than Leicester, Villa, Everton. All whom are above is or will soon be. I could see us finishing 5/6 and thinking we need a couple of players more. But tenth is a shocker. And frankly it’s going to her worse before it gets better. Arteta doesn’t have the ability to turn this around.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby KG3 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am

Premier league home games Arsenal have failed to score in

16-17 (1)
17-18 (1)
18-19 (1)
19-20 (1)
20-21 (7)

You lot still believe Arteta is taking us forward :lol:
User avatar
KG3
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4970
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Ach » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:38 am

Trust the process

We have an identity
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 20927
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:I dont accept that I will never see a better side than we saw under wenger
How can I believe that when I saw Arsenal’s 70/71 side and our 2001/02 side bettered?
Global franchise
What does that mean?
Only one Arsenal
The one that wenger arrived at was only behind Liverpool as the most decorated club in the country
We were on the map globally
From my first days of going it was always in the programme how we were welcoming such and such fanclub from somewhere in the world.
Arsenal was wenger?
What an insult to you,I & anyone that ever had a care for this club
Wenger was a great chapter of this club’s history but unlike us was paid to do so
I don’t doubt his affection but I believe his desire to do everything rather than delegate well ended up very damaging
In fact his nose was put out of joint when he had keown helping defence wise during our run to the champions league final and he was jettisoned
Are people unequivocally backing Arteta?
Of course 10th is not good enough but does not moaning about every aspect of the club mean you are happy with his management?
To say Wenger never complained is a joke
His excuse mongery regarding tiredness, refereeing, pitches engendered an excuse culture at the club that meant 4th became a trophy and good enough
Never was this more realised than after the Eduardo injury he spoke of how 4 points clear at the top Arsenal were not going to be able to be lifted as they were very down
Not
“ we got a point on a difficult day, we go again”
I wanted Wenger gone because he had seen what he had now and it was never going to be good enough again.
Just participating is not good enough
We should be competing to win and setting up sides in the best way to do so
Was that losing leads at Chelsea and United in that 07/08 season plus the champions league at Liverpool?
A naivety that continued in games like Monaco
A pragmatist learns from mistakes
He refused to and I believe later was unable to
If wenger wanted more ambition from the Board why didn’t he quit?
He was as comfortable taking the shilling as the board were in getting the champions league money.
Not good enough for a fan who wants us trying to win the lot
The Neutrals like watching us play
Arghh that’s nice......
Couldn’t give a f**k what the neutrals think
We are in the business of. Winning trophies
If we do it playing well that’s a bonus
But winning is everything
Wenger had a fantastic team in the Champions league and failed to utelise it properly
Messi and Ronaldo?
Utter puffery thrown out as spin
Pay and players will come and play
At a great club in a major city in the world
They didn’t
We didn’t
Tell us less show us more
Wenger still gets mentioned because as sure as eggs are eggs( happy Easter by the way) the careful what you wish for brigade would always harp back to him.
I wanted better
Still do
Always will


Good response.

Yeah, Starmandb has it spot on with this post.
User avatar
theHotHead
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 10486
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:10 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
West Ham and Villa were close to relegation last season. Everton were near the bottom as well, changed manager but still only managed a mid table finish. Leeds weren't even in the Premier League last season but are somehow level on points with us whilst the other clubs I mentioned are above us. How is that they've been able to make bigger strides in progress in one window yet we can't?

Exactly this!! Those teams had a worse starting position than Arteta did and yet thwir teams are performing more consistently than us and are higher up the table than us. It is nonsense to suggest Arteta needs his own players, others have made do with the players they have because they are better managers than Arteta is.
User avatar
theHotHead
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 10486
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby swipe right » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:15 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
West Ham and Villa were close to relegation last season. Everton were near the bottom as well, changed manager but still only managed a mid table finish. Leeds weren't even in the Premier League last season but are somehow level on points with us whilst the other clubs I mentioned are above us. How is that they've been able to make bigger strides in progress in one window yet we can't?

Exactly this!! Those teams had a worse starting position than Arteta did and yet thwir teams are performing more consistently than us and are higher up the table than us. It is nonsense to suggest Arteta needs his own players, others have made do with the players they have because they are better managers than Arteta is.

Look at the pedigree of ancelotti. Multiple CL winner, PL etc. vs our boy wonder.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:22 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:I dont accept that I will never see a better side than we saw under wenger
How can I believe that when I saw Arsenal’s 70/71 side and our 2001/02 side bettered?
Global franchise
What does that mean?
Only one Arsenal
The one that wenger arrived at was only behind Liverpool as the most decorated club in the country
We were on the map globally
From my first days of going it was always in the programme how we were welcoming such and such fanclub from somewhere in the world.
Arsenal was wenger?
What an insult to you,I & anyone that ever had a care for this club
Wenger was a great chapter of this club’s history but unlike us was paid to do so
I don’t doubt his affection but I believe his desire to do everything rather than delegate well ended up very damaging
In fact his nose was put out of joint when he had keown helping defence wise during our run to the champions league final and he was jettisoned
Are people unequivocally backing Arteta?
Of course 10th is not good enough but does not moaning about every aspect of the club mean you are happy with his management?
To say Wenger never complained is a joke
His excuse mongery regarding tiredness, refereeing, pitches engendered an excuse culture at the club that meant 4th became a trophy and good enough
Never was this more realised than after the Eduardo injury he spoke of how 4 points clear at the top Arsenal were not going to be able to be lifted as they were very down
Not
“ we got a point on a difficult day, we go again”
I wanted Wenger gone because he had seen what he had now and it was never going to be good enough again.
Just participating is not good enough
We should be competing to win and setting up sides in the best way to do so
Was that losing leads at Chelsea and United in that 07/08 season plus the champions league at Liverpool?
A naivety that continued in games like Monaco
A pragmatist learns from mistakes
He refused to and I believe later was unable to
If wenger wanted more ambition from the Board why didn’t he quit?
He was as comfortable taking the shilling as the board were in getting the champions league money.
Not good enough for a fan who wants us trying to win the lot
The Neutrals like watching us play
Arghh that’s nice......
Couldn’t give a f**k what the neutrals think
We are in the business of. Winning trophies
If we do it playing well that’s a bonus
But winning is everything
Wenger had a fantastic team in the Champions league and failed to utelise it properly
Messi and Ronaldo?
Utter puffery thrown out as spin
Pay and players will come and play
At a great club in a major city in the world
They didn’t
We didn’t
Tell us less show us more
Wenger still gets mentioned because as sure as eggs are eggs( happy Easter by the way) the careful what you wish for brigade would always harp back to him.
I wanted better
Still do
Always will


Good response.


Agreed. Happy Easter to all as well.
thebigbangtheo
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby aniym » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:06 pm

How clubs have done in their last 10 PL games

Arsenal: 12th, W3 D3 L4, GD -1

Image
aniym
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Look where Liverpool are in that table, below us, thats how shit they have been, but they tore us a new one the other day.
User avatar
theHotHead
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 10486
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:02 pm

theHotHead wrote:Look where Liverpool are in that table, below us, thats how shit they have been, but they tore us a new one the other day.


The worrying thing is that our defence has become the worst of everyone outside the relegation zone in that 10 game period.
That was supposed to be what Arteta fixed, but it's been bad again AND we are not scoring goals.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9688
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby coach8smallball » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:14 pm

sets a record in losses for our epl history and has us in our worst position in decades, but still has a job. unbelievable.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:20 am
Location: hampton, va.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby ag6789 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:38 pm

Think his only way out is the EL. PL campaign has been a disaster so far.
Should go if we lose EL.
But we must take a hard look at the senior players too. Many seem to be driven by self intetests over the club paying for a great living of theirs.
ag6789
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests