Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:32 pm

starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If reports are correct Mourinho had/has a game or 2 to keep his job.

Meanwhile Arteta who is doing even worse is under no pressure.

Remind me who is the bigger club?!

Us with the 31 trophies

Exactly Starmandb. As you have often pointed out, we are a huge club and we should not drop our standards. What we have seen so far this season is abysmal. I refuse to accept this as the new norm.
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby greengoonerie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:11 pm

11 defeats so far this season in the PL
13 games left this season
Arteta on target to have the worse ever number of defeats in a PL season for Arsenal.

Hes out of his depth.

And yes I agree with the comment that Arsneal PLC are happy with mediocrity and thus a lowering in standards in and off the pitch.

Today was an example of that. Relying on a 19 year old to get us out of trouble again.
greengoonerie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2592
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Jack The Ripper » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:51 pm

I know we never got slaughtered, but I honestly found that match depressing too watch, it was just sad. I felt like we could be playing until midnight and we wouldn't have scored.

Ederson was asleep the entire game, he could have played on his phone or ordered some Uber Eats and snacked. He was so bored that when they passed it back to him once in the 2nd half he just did some really weird ass kick in the air for something to actually do!.

I dunno, it felt depressing too me. I know we only lost 1-0, but the whole flow and energy felt like we were never showing up to score, let alone win.
User avatar
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:33 pm
Location: London, United Kingdom

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:58 pm

Jens was right.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:32 am

swipe right wrote:Jens was right.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8698
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby gamechannel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:12 am

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Moyes took over last season when West Ham were in the relegation zone. He saved them from relegation and West Ham sacked Pellerini to appoint Moyes. There wasn’t a turnaround from the same manager.

Villa is a different story. They were playing Championship football the league before. I doubt there would have been a major outcry for him to be sacked if that were our position.

I agree with this, those are 2 entirely different scenarios to ours and Arteta's starting position. The only squads that are better than ours are Man City and Liverpool, I can't honestly say that Chelsea, Man U or Spurs have a better squad than us, Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Villa definitely don't have better squads than us. The fact that Arteta has got a decent team playing like chumps is not the fault of the players, especially when you consider that this squad is better thean emery's last squad and Emery's last squad is better than Wenger's last squad !

Who would I take from Chelsea ? Maybe Mount but I prefer ESR, Havertz doesn't get a game, Werner doesn't cut it for me and neither does Ziyech. Partey is better than Kante.

Who would I take from Man U ? Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford, Wan Bisaka. But at the same time I think Auba, Gabriel, Leno, Partey, Saka and ESR get into their team too.

Who would I take from Spurs ? Kane, Son, thats it, all their other players are no better than what we have.

If anyone tells me Leicester and Villa have better squads than us I know they are either wumming or just trying to stick to their argument and not give ground. The Leicester players I would take are Vardy, Barnes, Maddison and Perreira. Again I think Auba, Gabriel, Saka, Tierney and Partey get into their squad.


Their formula is simple. Suck off Artetas nuts when we win and blame the players when we lose. You won't convince them. He dresses up in those European fit turtle necks and jackets, uses an iPad, barks instructions from the sidelines, pretends as if he knows what he's doing, has a hot wife, uses buzz words like process, non-negotiables, tactics etc and has good dark hair. That's enough for them to collectively scream like little school girls, "OMG! MY MANAGER!!"
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Nuggets » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:52 am

starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If reports are correct Mourinho had/has a game or 2 to keep his job.

Meanwhile Arteta who is doing even worse is under no pressure.

Remind me who is the bigger club?!

Us with the 31 trophies


You are living in the past, we are a big club with small ambitions otherwise we would NEVER taken on a manager who had never managed a team in his life because he was the cheap option.
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18875
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Rockape » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:48 pm

Thing is, everyone can moan and call for his head, but we know its not going to happen. He's got until the end of the season at the earliest, so its going to be Groundhog day on this thread for a while yet! We have a shit load of tough PL fixtures coming up too!
User avatar
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2982
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:29 am
Location: Puerto Pollensa in my mind

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:15 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
I don’t believe it to be good enough
I don’t believe it to be worse than 17/18
I am not fudging win loss
They are facts
We are better defensively now than we were in wenger’s last 36 games as well


It's not a fact. At this stage of the season under Wenger we lost 9 games across all competitions where Arteta has lost 13 games. In the Premier League alone had lost 7 under Wenger. We've just lost for the 11th time under Arteta. What facts are you looking at?

We're 10th in the league now, this time under Wenger we were 6th! The defensive record doesn't matter when looking in isolation. What about goals? Totally disagree with you on this one.

I didn’t hide the stats I was using as a measure
Arteta had had 36 games this season it was taken from wenger,s last 36 games as our manager
I still take issue with the Arsenal we’re doing much better in 17/18
It was not good enough then
It isn’t good enough now
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
 
Posts: 12862
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:30 pm

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If reports are correct Mourinho had/has a game or 2 to keep his job.

Meanwhile Arteta who is doing even worse is under no pressure.

Remind me who is the bigger club?!

Us with the 31 trophies

Exactly Starmandb. As you have often pointed out, we are a huge club and we should not drop our standards. What we have seen so far this season is abysmal. I refuse to accept this as the new norm.

Nor should you
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
 
Posts: 12862
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:33 pm

Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If reports are correct Mourinho had/has a game or 2 to keep his job.

Meanwhile Arteta who is doing even worse is under no pressure.

Remind me who is the bigger club?!

Us with the 31 trophies


You are living in the past, we are a big club with small ambitions otherwise we would NEVER taken on a manager who had never managed a team in his life because he was the cheap option.

We have a player in the squad who has been here for all of our 4 fa cup wins
Spurs still not troubled the engraver
How is that living in the past?
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
 
Posts: 12862
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Nuggets » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm

starmandb wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If reports are correct Mourinho had/has a game or 2 to keep his job.

Meanwhile Arteta who is doing even worse is under no pressure.

Remind me who is the bigger club?!

Us with the 31 trophies


You are living in the past, we are a big club with small ambitions otherwise we would NEVER taken on a manager who had never managed a team in his life because he was the cheap option.

We have a player in the squad who has been here for all of our 4 fa cup wins
Spurs still not troubled the engraver
How is that living in the past?


I am talking about the club in general, we were a better club than the spuds in the past but we are on the same sh1t level now.
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18875
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Santi » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:50 pm

gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Moyes took over last season when West Ham were in the relegation zone. He saved them from relegation and West Ham sacked Pellerini to appoint Moyes. There wasn’t a turnaround from the same manager.

Villa is a different story. They were playing Championship football the league before. I doubt there would have been a major outcry for him to be sacked if that were our position.

I agree with this, those are 2 entirely different scenarios to ours and Arteta's starting position. The only squads that are better than ours are Man City and Liverpool, I can't honestly say that Chelsea, Man U or Spurs have a better squad than us, Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Villa definitely don't have better squads than us. The fact that Arteta has got a decent team playing like chumps is not the fault of the players, especially when you consider that this squad is better thean emery's last squad and Emery's last squad is better than Wenger's last squad !

Who would I take from Chelsea ? Maybe Mount but I prefer ESR, Havertz doesn't get a game, Werner doesn't cut it for me and neither does Ziyech. Partey is better than Kante.

Who would I take from Man U ? Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford, Wan Bisaka. But at the same time I think Auba, Gabriel, Leno, Partey, Saka and ESR get into their team too.

Who would I take from Spurs ? Kane, Son, thats it, all their other players are no better than what we have.

If anyone tells me Leicester and Villa have better squads than us I know they are either wumming or just trying to stick to their argument and not give ground. The Leicester players I would take are Vardy, Barnes, Maddison and Perreira. Again I think Auba, Gabriel, Saka, Tierney and Partey get into their squad.


Their formula is simple. Suck off Artetas nuts when we win and blame the players when we lose. You won't convince them. He dresses up in those European fit turtle necks and jackets, uses an iPad, barks instructions from the sidelines, pretends as if he knows what he's doing, has a hot wife, uses buzz words like process, non-negotiables, tactics etc and has good dark hair. That's enough for them to collectively scream like little school girls, "OMG! MY MANAGER!!"



See this is the problem when you can’t read or comprehend anything, you just throw out hyperbolic bullshit that isn’t true.

Arteta is the same whether we win or lose, a rookie manager learning his way making some mistakes and doing some things right. We have to hope he does more of the latter and less of the former since it looks like the board have no intention of moving on from him. When we win you might get a few ‘don mikel’ comments as a joke to those who spend 24 hours a day slating him but that’s all it is. The squad is shit when we lose and still shit when we win, it’s good enough for about 8th so currently the combination of Arteta, odd Covid season and 500 red cards has us about 2 places below where we should be...that’s not enough to be foaming at the mouth and making drastic decisions over. I know it sucks and we’re not used to being in mid table but this is the reality of a neglected squad for 5+ years, the mistakes Mikel has made haven’t stopped us being top 4.

For me it was clear all summer we needed a creative CM over the Partey type, this is still a huge hole in the team as we couldnt afford one and I expect it to be addressed as #1 priority this summer. Mikel has until the end of the season to prove he deserves the chance to buy that player and have another window to improve the squad so that we can actually compete for top 4.

If we get that CM and hopefully keep Partey fit then we have a 10x better midfield for season, that alone I’m hoping will massively improve the quality of our play. The other big problem to solve is getting Auba firing again. Should we stick with Mikel into next season and still see shit football despite another window then his time will be well and truly up.

Anyway, back to sucking Mikel’s balls I go I guess...
Last edited by Santi on Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Santi
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 38657
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:51 pm

Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If reports are correct Mourinho had/has a game or 2 to keep his job.

Meanwhile Arteta who is doing even worse is under no pressure.

Remind me who is the bigger club?!

Us with the 31 trophies


You are living in the past, we are a big club with small ambitions otherwise we would NEVER taken on a manager who had never managed a team in his life because he was the cheap option.

We have a player in the squad who has been here for all of our 4 fa cup wins
Spurs still not troubled the engraver
How is that living in the past?


I am talking about the club in general, we were a better club than the spuds in the past but we are on the same sh1t level now.

I hear what you are saying but, as a club, there is no way Spurs are at our level or us at their level. We won a major trophy last season, they last won a major trophy in 2008 and that was the Carling Cup. They haven't been at our level for decades, just because they finished above us a few times, that didn't change their standing.

As a team, yes they overtook us, but I think we are at a similar level right now. they have been hanging on to our shirt tails since I have been a fan of Arsenal, in the mid-70s.
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Nuggets » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:44 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If reports are correct Mourinho had/has a game or 2 to keep his job.

Meanwhile Arteta who is doing even worse is under no pressure.

Remind me who is the bigger club?!

Us with the 31 trophies


You are living in the past, we are a big club with small ambitions otherwise we would NEVER taken on a manager who had never managed a team in his life because he was the cheap option.

We have a player in the squad who has been here for all of our 4 fa cup wins
Spurs still not troubled the engraver
How is that living in the past?


I am talking about the club in general, we were a better club than the spuds in the past but we are on the same sh1t level now.

I hear what you are saying but, as a club, there is no way Spurs are at our level or us at their level. We won a major trophy last season, they last won a major trophy in 2008 and that was the Carling Cup. They haven't been at our level for decades, just because they finished above us a few times, that didn't change their standing.

As a team, yes they overtook us, but I think we are at a similar level right now. they have been hanging on to our shirt tails since I have been a fan of Arsenal, in the mid-70s.


True, I mean at present we can't say we are any better now really as we are both shite, they will never be good enough to walk in our shadow ;)
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18875
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aniym and 7 guests