Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:58 pm

Özim wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Özim wrote:It’s 100% matters and you can see it from the state of the club, no interest means no success, you can’t tell me the guy has any interest when he pretty much never talks about Arsenal and never comes to matches sorry. Even when we got to the EL he was in the us.

The owner is a very important part of the club, a decent owner makes all the difference, the best clubs have owners that are passionate about success on the pitch more often than not and they certainly show up to games.


Not sure that's true - without looking it up - can you name the owner in charge at the top twenty clubs in Europe? I had to look them up and reckon well over half have no visible presence at their clubs, far less than Kroenke.

We notice because it's our club but do you ever notice - Zhang Jindong at Inter? Paul Singer at AC? Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan at City? Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani at PSG? Bayern don't even have a single owner ... Spurs have an absent billionaire ... Real and Barca are owned by the fans ... the list goes on.

Despite the press hype nearly all clubs do in fact abide by FFP and do live within the financial constraints of their business - you could replace Kroenke with any other unnamed individual and it's almost certain that financially nothing much would change ... we can dream of a 'sugar daddy' many teenagers do, but once we grow up we realise that we have to stand or fall on our own efforts not rely on handouts and charity ... the same applies at Arsenal, we are in the top ten of most valuable clubs on the planet and we are still ranked 10th in the UEFA coefficient ... blaming Kroenke for Arsenal's failure from board level to players is right because eventually the buck stops at the top ... but the real failure came from the inept hands on management (Gazidis / Wenger) and not from the owner.


No I can’t but what you do see is ambition from quite a few clubs, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Man U, Inter, Real, Bayern, Juve, Barca, etc this club has zero ambition as has been shown in the last 15 years, always happy to settle for 4th place, excuses left right and centre and now even as we drop further very little signs of any genuine ambition at all, from the hiring of the manager, the kind of players we’re after, to hearing the manager praise players like Luiz, Mustafi and Xhaka and going as far as resigning the players who cost us points regularly it’s a joke.

This club is going nowhere and it definitely filters down from the top, the owner employs all these guys, if he really was interested he’d get rid and replace them with people who can do a much better job, but then Kroenke is the guy that let Gazidis stick around achieving nothing for the best part of a decade (and Wenger) so it’s no great surprise really.

I can’t believe you guys can’t see that the owner is ultimately the guy responsible because he employs the guys who handle those below them, yes of course others are also to blame, but as the owners he can replace them if he sees they’re not doing a great job and he doesn’t.

Kroenke has sanctioned shit loads on player purchases ! We have broken our club record at least 5 times since Kroenke took the helm. Hec, we obliterated our club record signing this season having already spent what was publicly assumed to be our transfer budget. What difference will him going to games bring ?? He is not preventing our progress. He hired specialists in various areas of club management, he fired Wenger and Emery, what more can he do ?


Let’s get this right, this is basically spending the money fans hand over to him, that’s standard at any football club, nothing special there, so yeah if you get kudos for using the money the fans give him, he’s great. The guy has never put a penny in, in fact he may well be taking money out now he owns the entire club, he also wouldn’t let Usmanov who owner a large percentage on the board at all, yet the guy was clearly more interested in football than him.

Specialists, specialists in failure perhaps because so far they’ve been awful appointments. Took him 13 years to get rid of Wenger and Gazidis was here for 10 years (and would still be here had he not chosen to leave) despite really doing a terrible job (as he’s doing at Milan now), these guys wouldn’t have last a season and a half at Chelsea, City or Man U, he’s a terrible owner, one of the worst around.

Abrahmovic, the City Owners, Liverpool owners and many others are much more visible than him and are clearly more interested in their respective clubs successes on the pitch, often attending games and actually not settling for 2nd rate employees either.

The day Kroenke bought Arsenal was a very sad day for the club, it hasn’t been the same since. It’s now a shadow of the great club it use to be.


It's not money 'fans hand over to him'. It's money fans pay for a product - willingly.
Everything that is spent investing in new players and contracts by Arsenal is Kroenke's money. Fans have absolutely zero claim on that money.
Your argument is like belittling shareholders of Apple for reinvesting in R&D by saying it's just money that customers hand over to them.
Total nonsense.

Kroenke has ploughed huge amounts of money into our playing staff and he should be lauded for that.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Özim » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Özim wrote:It’s 100% matters and you can see it from the state of the club, no interest means no success, you can’t tell me the guy has any interest when he pretty much never talks about Arsenal and never comes to matches sorry. Even when we got to the EL he was in the us.

The owner is a very important part of the club, a decent owner makes all the difference, the best clubs have owners that are passionate about success on the pitch more often than not and they certainly show up to games.


Not sure that's true - without looking it up - can you name the owner in charge at the top twenty clubs in Europe? I had to look them up and reckon well over half have no visible presence at their clubs, far less than Kroenke.

We notice because it's our club but do you ever notice - Zhang Jindong at Inter? Paul Singer at AC? Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan at City? Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani at PSG? Bayern don't even have a single owner ... Spurs have an absent billionaire ... Real and Barca are owned by the fans ... the list goes on.

Despite the press hype nearly all clubs do in fact abide by FFP and do live within the financial constraints of their business - you could replace Kroenke with any other unnamed individual and it's almost certain that financially nothing much would change ... we can dream of a 'sugar daddy' many teenagers do, but once we grow up we realise that we have to stand or fall on our own efforts not rely on handouts and charity ... the same applies at Arsenal, we are in the top ten of most valuable clubs on the planet and we are still ranked 10th in the UEFA coefficient ... blaming Kroenke for Arsenal's failure from board level to players is right because eventually the buck stops at the top ... but the real failure came from the inept hands on management (Gazidis / Wenger) and not from the owner.


No I can’t but what you do see is ambition from quite a few clubs, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Man U, Inter, Real, Bayern, Juve, Barca, etc this club has zero ambition as has been shown in the last 15 years, always happy to settle for 4th place, excuses left right and centre and now even as we drop further very little signs of any genuine ambition at all, from the hiring of the manager, the kind of players we’re after, to hearing the manager praise players like Luiz, Mustafi and Xhaka and going as far as resigning the players who cost us points regularly it’s a joke.

This club is going nowhere and it definitely filters down from the top, the owner employs all these guys, if he really was interested he’d get rid and replace them with people who can do a much better job, but then Kroenke is the guy that let Gazidis stick around achieving nothing for the best part of a decade (and Wenger) so it’s no great surprise really.

I can’t believe you guys can’t see that the owner is ultimately the guy responsible because he employs the guys who handle those below them, yes of course others are also to blame, but as the owners he can replace them if he sees they’re not doing a great job and he doesn’t.

Kroenke has sanctioned shit loads on player purchases ! We have broken our club record at least 5 times since Kroenke took the helm. Hec, we obliterated our club record signing this season having already spent what was publicly assumed to be our transfer budget. What difference will him going to games bring ?? He is not preventing our progress. He hired specialists in various areas of club management, he fired Wenger and Emery, what more can he do ?


Let’s get this right, this is basically spending the money fans hand over to him, that’s standard at any football club, nothing special there, so yeah if you get kudos for using the money the fans give him, he’s great. The guy has never put a penny in, in fact he may well be taking money out now he owns the entire club, he also wouldn’t let Usmanov who owner a large percentage on the board at all, yet the guy was clearly more interested in football than him.

Specialists, specialists in failure perhaps because so far they’ve been awful appointments. Took him 13 years to get rid of Wenger and Gazidis was here for 10 years (and would still be here had he not chosen to leave) despite really doing a terrible job (as he’s doing at Milan now), these guys wouldn’t have last a season and a half at Chelsea, City or Man U, he’s a terrible owner, one of the worst around.

Abrahmovic, the City Owners, Liverpool owners and many others are much more visible than him and are clearly more interested in their respective clubs successes on the pitch, often attending games and actually not settling for 2nd rate employees either.

The day Kroenke bought Arsenal was a very sad day for the club, it hasn’t been the same since. It’s now a shadow of the great club it use to be.


It's not money 'fans hand over to him'. It's money fans pay for a product - willingly.
Everything that is spent investing in new players and contracts by Arsenal is Kroenke's money. Fans have absolutely zero claim on that money.
Your argument is like belittling shareholders of Apple for reinvesting in R&D by saying it's just money that customers hand over to them.
Total nonsense.

Kroenke has ploughed huge amounts of money into our playing staff and he should be lauded for that.


He’s one of the worst owners out there no question, it’s costing him nothing, he’s making money off the back of our failure and couldn’t care less if we come 8th as long as his investment is still worth a decent amount.

Where the money comes from matters, it partly shows his lack of commitment, the fact he never comes to matches, never really talks about Arsenal and employs people who do a poor job and just seems to keep them on indefinitely further shows this.

I’m mystified that anyone can be happy this guy owns us, as I said it was a very sad day when he took ownership, to be owned by someone so disinterested in not only the club but football in general is a shocker, during the EL final he stayed in the US where he eventually showed up at the Super Bowl at a sport he actually is interested in.

Success filters down from the top, if someone isn’t interested then he won’t be too bothered who he employs or how they do just as long as his investment is still worth what he wants it to be.

Btw football clubs and Apple are two different things, they’re not comparable at all.
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:22 am

Özim wrote:He’s one of the worst owners out there no question, it’s costing him nothing, he’s making money off the back of our failure and couldn’t care less if we come 8th as long as his investment is still worth a decent amount.

Where the money comes from matters, it partly shows his lack of commitment, the fact he never comes to matches, never really talks about Arsenal and employs people who do a poor job and just seems to keep them on indefinitely further shows this.

I’m mystified that anyone can be happy this guy owns us, as I said it was a very sad day when he took ownership, to be owned by someone so disinterested in not only the club but football in general is a shocker, during the EL final he stayed in the US where he eventually showed up at the Super Bowl at a sport he actually is interested in.

Success filters down from the top, if someone isn’t interested then he won’t be too bothered who he employs or how they do just as long as his investment is still worth what he wants it to be.

Btw football clubs and Apple are two different things, they’re not comparable at all.


Your grasp on investment is weird

Kroenke invested a billion (1.029m) in buying Arsenal ... in what world is that NO MONEY? Any investor would expect a return on their investment that would come via dividends and increased share value ... so what would be a reasonable dividend return?

How about 5%? that's about what the Glaziers take every year out of Utd - that would be 50m a year does he take that? NO so your argument that he's "making money off the back of our failure" is simply wrong, the value of the club that he owns dropped 125m last year so in fact he's losing a fortune right now ...

The reality is under Kroenke's ownership the club have spent net 300m on new players only City and Utd have spent more in that time ... that's 300m Kroenke could have kept in the bank as cash, as the owner that's his cash ... it's not "the fans" money it's his, fans pay to see his team at his stadium same as paying for any other goods and service.

Agreed his an absentee owner, but so are half the owners in football, having Kroenke sitting in the Director's box is not going to make anyone at the club any better, even if it does show 'fanboy' credentials.

The bottom line is that Kroenke is not a great fan, that's a shame but so what, the real problem is that he allowed his employees (Gazidis, Wenger, and now Edu) far to much power and then didn't react fast enough when they fecked everything up ... that's his failing it's not the money, we've spent fortunes on players and on wages, we just haven't spent it very well ... is that truly all Kroenke's fault?
EliteKiller
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:25 am

Really interested to see what Mikel does next season.

Formation, style of play.

I am slightly concerned he's pushing for a Pep philosophy and I feel he really needs to find his own, we're not Man City and can't buy the best in every position.

Mourhino, Fergie, Pep, Wenger ........... all the best had their own philosophy, I don't want Arteta to try to be a 2nd rate Pep because it'll fail.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 22995
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby hs6bx » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:10 am

Just hearing him speak brings me confidence - very certain and self assured. I’ve seen a shift in mentality and accountability since he came in. Like he said in that interview, we are short on quality, the biggest difference now is that we won’t be 2nd best when it comes to competing physically (like we have been for 10-12 years). That’s a key foundation that’s been needed for such a long time... then new players coming in are living and breathing this whole squad of top competitors. It will of course take time for that reality to bed in, as it did with Liverpool under klopp. There will be casualties along the way with players who can’t hack it, but I think he is capable of something really great.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Zenith » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:39 am

Image
User avatar
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 33312
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:48 pm
Location: Gallia Belgica, 5 hours away from The Grove

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Tony Adams » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:43 am

Zenith wrote:


Explains a lot LOL
Image
User avatar
Tony Adams
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36918
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 am

It's great that he has Wenger to turn to for advice. No doubt he also talks to Pep, David Moyes and many other people in the game.

All managers that he has worked with who have bags of experience for him to draw on.

Of course he has to make his own decisions at the end f the day, but having the benefit of advice from such people is not to be dismissed lightly.
User avatar
Phil71
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:18 am

Zenith wrote:


Vast difference between Unai and Arteta here.

Apparently, Unai didn't call Wenger when he first joined. I'm not sure if they ever talked unless they bumped into each other.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 28415
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Özim » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am

Tony Adams wrote:
Zenith wrote:


Explains a lot LOL


Yup lol
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Özim » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am

EliteKiller wrote:Your grasp on investment is weird

Kroenke invested a billion (1.029m) in buying Arsenal ... in what world is that NO MONEY? Any investor would expect a return on their investment that would come via dividends and increased share value ... so what would be a reasonable dividend return?

How about 5%? that's about what the Glaziers take every year out of Utd - that would be 50m a year does he take that? NO so your argument that he's "making money off the back of our failure" is simply wrong, the value of the club that he owns dropped 125m last year so in fact he's losing a fortune right now ...

The reality is under Kroenke's ownership the club have spent net 300m on new players only City and Utd have spent more in that time ... that's 300m Kroenke could have kept in the bank as cash, as the owner that's his cash ... it's not "the fans" money it's his, fans pay to see his team at his stadium same as paying for any other goods and service.

Agreed his an absentee owner, but so are half the owners in football, having Kroenke sitting in the Director's box is not going to make anyone at the club any better, even if it does show 'fanboy' credentials.

The bottom line is that Kroenke is not a great fan, that's a shame but so what, the real problem is that he allowed his employees (Gazidis, Wenger, and now Edu) far to much power and then didn't react fast enough when they fecked everything up ... that's his failing it's not the money, we've spent fortunes on players and on wages, we just haven't spent it very well ... is that truly all Kroenke's fault?


Not at all, football isn't just a regular business, nor do most owners treat it just that way, noone invests in a sport unless they have an interest in it. Kroenke has made a tonne of money out of his investment and that's the only reason he invested make no mistake, unlike Abrahmovic, the City owners, Liverpool owners etc, they are actually interested in success on the pitch and what's more they realise success on the pitch means a better return as well, they don't just sit there and watch the club implode and keep employees on, they get rid and find better ones when need be, because they're actually interested.

As well as this Kroenke knows that if he sells he'll get his money back.

As for the net spend it's a stupid stat, City spends hundreds of millions but they have got it back because they made their club successful and reaped the rewards, they've spent vastly more on players and you can see that from the quality of their squad, likewise Chelsea, Man U who spend have have spend fortunes for years.

This is 100% Kroenkes fault, the employs the people in charge, if they don't perform he has the power to replace them, he doesn't so the buck stops with him, of course the people below him are also to blame for their performance but in the end your boss assesses your performance and if it's not good enough replace you, doesn't happen at Arsenal.

I can't believe people are defending Kroenke, he's literally the worst thing to have happened to Arsenal, since he arrived we've become a nothing club.
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby aniym » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:11 pm

Angelito wrote:
Zenith wrote:


Vast difference between Unai and Arteta here.

Apparently, Unai didn't call Wenger when he first joined. I'm not sure if they ever talked unless they bumped into each other.


It's about optics. Emery was the new face of Arsenal, post-Wenger, post-Gazidis. He had no prior relationship with Wenger, so why would he be in touch with him? Was Tuchel calling up Emery when he took over at PSG?
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:17 pm

aniym wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Zenith wrote:


Vast difference between Unai and Arteta here.

Apparently, Unai didn't call Wenger when he first joined. I'm not sure if they ever talked unless they bumped into each other.


It's about optics. Emery was the new face of Arsenal, post-Wenger, post-Gazidis. He had no prior relationship with Wenger, so why would he be in touch with him? Was Tuchel calling up Emery when he took over at PSG?


It's etiquette and common practice in high-functioning organizations.

When you succeed a monolithic figure, or even an influential one, at any organization, the incumbent always calls or has dinner with his or her predecessor. It's an unspoken law that is followed most of the time. Part of organizational/corporate/management culture.

And, Gazidis hired Unai, btw. It wasn't until 3 months into Unai's reign that he left to join Milan.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 28415
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Callum » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 pm

jayramfootball wrote:What I see from Kroenke is him investing a huge amount of his money into our squad.
That's all that is needed from him, so I give him an A+.

I would not, however, if I was him, give his managment team any money to spend. It should be sell and buy to break even.

Kroenke investing his own money? What?
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36407
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Really interested to see what Mikel does next season.

Formation, style of play.

I am slightly concerned he's pushing for a Pep philosophy and I feel he really needs to find his own, we're not Man City and can't buy the best in every position.

Mourhino, Fergie, Pep, Wenger ........... all the best had their own philosophy, I don't want Arteta to try to be a 2nd rate Pep because it'll fail.

This!!
User avatar
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8661
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ag6789, Big Poppa, greengoonerie, Marsbar100, Power n Glory, starmandb, thebigbangtheo, Özim and 11 guests