Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Özim » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm

Jedi wrote:Not every manager uses all 3 subs every game and some prefer to go for cohesion rather than erratically making subs as soon as things aren't going your way. For every sub Emery got right, he had another that completely backfired. I don't understand the obsession with team selection most fans have. There's so much more to the tactics than picking the right team/subs (which is all very subjective).

Lets face it, if Fleck doesn't score that insanely unlikely volley, you would have no problem with the subs cause we would have won the game. You also said today that we need a defensive coach, despite us only scoring 30 goals in 23 games. For comparison, City has 64 so far, and this is supposed to be their bad season. Our defense has been shit forever but Emery has done the unthinkable which is making our attack toothless too.

The bigger picture here is that there's no quick fix. This is a team that's in a crisis and needs a serious rebuild come May. Until then we have to settle for positive signs in what will be some embarrassing results.


Cohesion rather than making subs? We drew today, we failed to win and the guy has only managed 1 win in 5 PL games, I'd suggest he needs to change something that he's doing and making the wrong subs and too late isn't working, you say there's so much more to tactics than picking the right team/subs, but he's got it wrong because again we failed to win and that's the acid test, if you don't win you didn't get it right.

That's an excuse, like in every game we fail to win, it's always because of some freakish incident, bad luck or the ref, it's not it's because we weren't good enough. We were average at best against Sheff Utd, they got the point the deserved.
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Özim » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:31 pm

Jedi wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Settle for positive signs. OK, name one that doesn't involve sideways passes on the half way line.

Didn't we already do this and three people replied, myself included, all with different answers?


Tony Adams wrote:They should have brought in an experienced manager to steady the ship til the summer and given arteta the job then when he'd have a summer transfer window and full preseason.

Why? What difference does it make? It's not like we could challenge for top 4 with a different manager and Europa is always a roll of the dice.

Klopp came to Liverpool a few games into the season, forced to play with Rodgers' players finishing 8th. Look where they are now.

And as far as Wenger comparisons go, when it comes to style, i wouldn't mind a second Wenger at all. In fact, i can only hope Arteta will make us play that kind of football.

Wengers main problem was being too sentimental with certain players and getting old. Arteta doesn't seem to have either of those problems.


Stop with the comparisons with Klopp, this guy is no Klopp, he was proven had taken Dortmund to the title and to the CL final, what evidence is there that this guy is anything like Klopp, Guardiola or Ferguson, there's isn't, that's just fantasy I'm aftaid.

I'd never want another Wenger, he was a walking disaster and caused this mess in the first place, why anyone would want another one of him is beyond me.
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:32 pm

Arsenal fans will forever argue
Image
#YoPierre
User avatar
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017
 
Posts: 34496
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Jedi » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am

Özim wrote:Stop with the comparisons with Klopp, this guy is no Klopp, he was proven had taken Dortmund to the title and to the CL final, what evidence is there that this guy is anything like Klopp, Guardiola or Ferguson, there's isn't, that's just fantasy I'm aftaid.

I agree. Klopp is arguably the best manager in the world, won the CL, on his way to go unbeaten in league, doing unspeakable things and ravaging teams left and right, yet even he struggled when he took over in the middle of the season and finished 8th.

So why do people expect Arteta, a rookie, to be winning every game, if the best manager in the world couldn't do it?
User avatar
Jedi
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5308
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:11 am

Angelito wrote:It's amazing how many here worshipped Emery for the longest time, but are willing to take their swords out 6 games into Arteta's tenure.

Disgusting set of fans.


Emery did well in his first season, right up to the end...we were crusing to a top 4 finish and favourites for 3rd and in the Europey League Final.
Once he started making stupid decisions and the team imploded he was quickly gone.
In fact it took basically from the last 5-6 games of the 2018/19 season until less than 20 games this season for him to be fired and it was along time before then when the fans turned on him.

Arteta has started as badly as Emery finished.
We can pretend if we like, but Arteta is clearly not the man for the job.
I thought we got our Arsenal back - but we got Emery
User avatar
jayramfootball
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3645
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Nuggets » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:58 am

Tony Adams wrote:Settle for positive signs. OK, name one that doesn't involve sideways passes on the half way line.

Sorry, I'm just annoyed at how obvious it was that a club in crisis should not appoint a head coach who has never been a head coach before. They should have brought in an experienced manager to steady the ship til the summer and given arteta the job then when he'd have a summer transfer window and full preseason.


There speaks the voice of reason :clap: :clap: :clap:
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 17069
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:18 am

Tony Adams wrote:Settle for positive signs. OK, name one that doesn't involve sideways passes on the half way line.

Sorry, I'm just annoyed at how obvious it was that a club in crisis should not appoint a head coach who has never been a head coach before. They should have brought in an experienced manager to steady the ship til the summer and given arteta the job then when he'd have a summer transfer window and full preseason.


Why did we sign Emery in the first place? That should be your question. Emery is everything Arsenal isn't. He destroyed our style, cohesion, and gameplay. Apparently, Wenger's worst season ever only happened because Gazidis begged him to stay for one more season because Arsenal had no structure in place.

And in that worst season ever, we had the second best home record in the Prem, reached the League Cup Final losing to the Centurions, and the EL SF where we lost because of a Koscielny brain fart. Emery took over a side that had won the FA Cup and had notched 75 points 12 months prior; had reached the EL SFs and the League Cup final just a few months prior. Plus, Emery had an array of talented players like Auba, Ozil, Laca, Monreal, Kosc, Mkhi, Bellerín, etc. He got defensive reenforcements in Sokratis and Leno. He got CDMs in Torreira and 'Douzi. Yet, we were worse off defensively under Unai than under Wenger.

Arteta, meanwhile, is taking over Emery who was a walking disaster for 12 of those 18 months in the Prem. He had us humiliated in the EL Final. He witnessed the most catastrophic collapse in the Prem when we were a lock for the top-4, and he left us languishing at 8th place with 6 wins out of 20 games. Then, under Freddie we slipped further down to 11th place.

Are you seriously comparing Emery's situation to the circumstances in which Arteta took over? Emery had a pre-season. He was here for 18 months. Sanllehi and Co. spent £200m for him. Yet, he sucked out all the life from Arsenal. He left us worse off than when he arrived.


Godlop wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
Angelito wrote:It's amazing how many here worshipped Emery for the longest time, but are willing to take their swords out 6 games into Arteta's tenure.

Disgusting set of fans.
We aren't getting results though. In Emery's opening few games we were getting results. His substitutions appeared to be changing games.

Arteta seems clueless in game management. Affraid to make subs or makes the wrong ones, no idea how to hold on to a lead. He just sticks to the same formation and tactics regardless of the score or opponent. It may be early days but so far it feels to me like a step back to the things Wenger got wrong.


You can't compare Emery's start with Arteta's

Emery had a whole preseason, a summer transfer window and largely took over a squad from Wenger that still played good football in parts and was a force at home.

Arteta doesn't have any of this because Raul and Emery ruined the only good things left about the squad that Wenger left us with.


This.
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 26858
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Özim » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:43 am

Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what Emery or Wenger did or didn't do before him, I couldn't care less if they got 22 years or 6 summers etc etc I'm going to judge Arteta on results and performances and so far performances have been underwhelming and results have been poor, he should be doing better, if he's the right guy we should be seeing more., he doesn't get a free pass just because the club are incompetent and never make the right choice, he's there choice not mine and I'll judge him by the criteria I would any manager that I would have expected to come in at that point.

But the facts are there in black and white, 6 points from a possible 15, 1 win, 3 draws and 1 defeat, he's a rookie and you can tell and in now way does he look qualified to do this job, so far he's looked out of his depth and his methods are Wengeresque which is something I don't wish to ever see again as I couldn't stand the Wenger years post 2005. So if he is going to go in that direction, then he should be on his bike.
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Tony Adams » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:04 am

Angelito "emery is everything arsenal isn't"

No, he's everything Arsene isn't. You don't win titles passing it around on the half way line and filling the team with 5'6 playmakers. Unless of course you have the funds for Messi types. Even Guardiola had Fernandinho in midfield when he was winning titles playing the game Wenger aspired to.
Image
User avatar
Tony Adams
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 35699
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Tony Adams » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:04 am

Özim wrote:Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what Emery or Wenger did or didn't do before him, I couldn't care less if they got 22 years or 6 summers etc etc I'm going to judge Arteta on results and performances and so far performances have been underwhelming and results have been poor, he should be doing better, if he's the right guy we should be seeing more., he doesn't get a free pass just because the club are incompetent and never make the right choice, he's there choice not mine and I'll judge him by the criteria I would any manager that I would have expected to come in at that point.

But the facts are there in black and white, 6 points from a possible 15, 1 win, 3 draws and 1 defeat, he's a rookie and you can tell and in now way does he look qualified to do this job, so far he's looked out of his depth and his methods are Wengeresque which is something I don't wish to ever see again as I couldn't stand the Wenger years post 2005. So if he is going to go in that direction, then he should be on his bike.
Spot on
Image
User avatar
Tony Adams
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 35699
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Nuggets » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Özim wrote:Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what Emery or Wenger did or didn't do before him, I couldn't care less if they got 22 years or 6 summers etc etc I'm going to judge Arteta on results and performances and so far performances have been underwhelming and results have been poor, he should be doing better, if he's the right guy we should be seeing more., he doesn't get a free pass just because the club are incompetent and never make the right choice, he's there choice not mine and I'll judge him by the criteria I would any manager that I would have expected to come in at that point.

But the facts are there in black and white, 6 points from a possible 15, 1 win, 3 draws and 1 defeat, he's a rookie and you can tell and in now way does he look qualified to do this job, so far he's looked out of his depth and his methods are Wengeresque which is something I don't wish to ever see again as I couldn't stand the Wenger years post 2005. So if he is going to go in that direction, then he should be on his bike.


This is very true spot on, just shows the ambition of this club bringing in a man who had never managed just because he is on the cheap.
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 17069
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Godlop » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Özim wrote:Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what Emery or Wenger did or didn't do before him, I couldn't care less if they got 22 years or 6 summers etc etc I'm going to judge Arteta on results and performances and so far performances have been underwhelming and results have been poor, he should be doing better, if he's the right guy we should be seeing more., he doesn't get a free pass just because the club are incompetent and never make the right choice, he's there choice not mine and I'll judge him by the criteria I would any manager that I would have expected to come in at that point.

But the facts are there in black and white, 6 points from a possible 15, 1 win, 3 draws and 1 defeat, he's a rookie and you can tell and in now way does he look qualified to do this job, so far he's looked out of his depth and his methods are Wengeresque which is something I don't wish to ever see again as I couldn't stand the Wenger years post 2005. So if he is going to go in that direction, then he should be on his bike.


I agree time and transfer windows don't matter.
Good that Liverpool got rid of Klopp early.
This way he couldn't replicate his success at Dortmund through time and shrewd player signings.
Also remember that bald dude at City who got sacked after his team lost 4:2 against Leicester.
Weird that it didn't work out for him at City since he was so successful in Spain.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2383
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:42 am

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:39 pm

How well has tried and trusted Anchelotti done so far at Everton? Nothing great so far.
At least we look compact. Problem is injuries and suspensions have robbed Arteta of important resources at this critical time.
We all know that the midfield needs to be bolstered and a defensive addition would be welcome, but that's more to do with the owners than Arteta at this point, I think.
ag6789
Ian Wright
Ian Wright
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Actually, we should have won 3-1 yesterday, but poor form of Laca, and lack of experience of other forwards robbed us of 3pts. We did dominate SU for long periods and did more likely to win than them.
Pepe on the wing looked energetic, and Martinelli was the standout performer. Torreira, and surprisingly, Xhaka looked compact too. Mustafi did ok in defense, too.
One small slip up in cover and we concede. Terrible luck, we've right now.
ag6789
Ian Wright
Ian Wright
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:17 pm

ag6789 wrote:How well has tried and trusted Anchelotti done so far at Everton? Nothing great so far.
At least we look compact. Problem is injuries and suspensions have robbed Arteta of important resources at this critical time.
We all know that the midfield needs to be bolstered and a defensive addition would be welcome, but that's more to do with the owners than Arteta at this point, I think.


Everton have picked up 10 points from a possible 15. We've picked up 6 from a possible 15. Arteta and Ancelotti started on the same day. So far Everton have lost one, drawn one and won three. Ancelotti is off to a better start. We've won one game, lost one and drawn three since Arteta arrived. Performances are better but the results aren't.
User avatar
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3022
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Marsbar100 and 1 guest
cron