Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Özim » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Jedi wrote:
aniym wrote:
Jedi wrote:Daily reminder Klopp finished 8th in his first season at Liverpool.

Klopp was a proven manager with 2 BuLi titles. He had the leverage to get spending guarantees from FSG.

Arteta has no experience and definitely no leverage when it comes to our transfer business. He too will be saddled with statDna players like Pepe and cheap CBs who don't solve our problems at the back.

How can you say that? Were you present in the room when they discussed transfers? This isn't even conjecture, there is absolutely no info to suggest he won't have serious input on transfer targets. I'm sure the summer budget and areas that need strengthening were discussed before he signed the contract.

Even if that is true, your comparison with Klopp or indeed any other top manager is so far off the mark, Arteta has never managed, the chances of him being anywhere near as good as these guys is very small indeed, he's also at a club with much less ambition, Liverpool have always been very ambitious and have always chased the biggest prizes, this club chases 4th.
Özim
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 pm

jayramfootball wrote:It's been an awful start by Arteta.
Maybe we're slightly more organised, but he's failing miserably to understand he needs a 90% turnover of players.
It looks like he thinks teh current squad is good enough - which makes him either an idiot, or just here for the money and doesn't want to rock the boat.
Unfortunately for him - and us - the Arsenal boat has needed sinking, not just rocking, for a decade.

What makes you think he thinks those things? Has he said that?

What can he do right now about turning over 90% of the players? Play all the kids?

It's like you're blaming him already for things he can't control. Did you think he should have brought 90% of new players with him?

I don't understand your gripe at all.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Maybe we're slightly more organised, but he's failing miserably to understand he needs a 90% turnover of players.
It looks like he thinks teh current squad is good enough - which makes him either an idiot, or just here for the money and doesn't want to rock the boat.
Unfortunately for him - and us - the Arsenal boat has needed sinking, not just rocking, for a decade.

What can he do right now about turning over 90% of the players? Play all the kids?

It's like you're blaming him already for things he can't control. Did you think he should have brought 90% of new players with him?

its because our fans are idiots and can't comprehend that a manager - shock horror - needs to keep a squad happy in order for them to perform for him and will therefore lavish them with praise and reassurance in pressers
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby aniym » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Jedi wrote:
aniym wrote:
Jedi wrote:Daily reminder Klopp finished 8th in his first season at Liverpool.

Klopp was a proven manager with 2 BuLi titles. He had the leverage to get spending guarantees from FSG.

Arteta has no experience and definitely no leverage when it comes to our transfer business. He too will be saddled with statDna players like Pepe and cheap CBs who don't solve our problems at the back.

How can you say that? Were you present in the room when they discussed transfers? This isn't even conjecture, there is absolutely no info to suggest he won't have serious input on transfer targets. I'm sure the summer budget and areas that need strengthening were discussed before he signed the contract.

It's an educated guess, based on what the club have done in the past. Emery spoke publicly about the importance of Ramsey and Auba to our season. They since pulled Ramsey's contract offer and didn't try to lock down Auba when it was clear he was in contention for Golden Boot. Now, it's too late.

I'm seeing the same thing now. Arteta is another nice guy who's promised to improve the current squad and won't bother the board with requests for new players. The problem is we know the current squad is finished, and the majority need to leave. Emery at least dropped Ozil and later Mustafi, but they're back under the new boss. Xhaka's said no to Hertha Berlin, so he probably thinks he's safe as well under the new boss.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Jedi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 pm

StLGooner wrote:

It's exactly the same thing with 90% of negative Arteta posts in this thread. It's just brainless rhetoric because they don't like the guy. Nothing else to it. No thought or objective assessment of the situation at all.

aniym wrote:It's an educated guess, based on what the club have done in the past. Emery spoke publicly about the importance of Ramsey and Auba to our season. They since pulled Ramsey's contract offer and didn't try to lock down Auba when it was clear he was in contention for Golden Boot. Now, it's too late.

I'm seeing the same thing now. Arteta is another nice guy who's promised to improve the current squad and won't bother the board with requests for new players. The problem is we know the current squad is finished, and the majority need to leave. Emery at least dropped Ozil and later Mustafi, but they're back under the new boss. Xhaka's said no to Hertha Berlin, so he probably thinks he's safe as well under the new boss.

During Emery's tenure, over the span of 3 transfer windows the board bought 12 new players and spent nearly £200 million (£145 million net spend). What on earth are you talking about? There is no reason to think they won't bring Arteta new players in the summer.

Also Ramsey was mishandled by Emery (left both the player and his agent confused when they had a meeting) and your Auba comment is complete conjecture, if he doesn't want to sign now why would he want to sign a new contract back then?
Jedi
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 pm

Jedi wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

It's exactly the same thing with 90% of negative Arteta posts in this thread. It's just brainless rhetoric because they don't like the guy. Nothing else to it. No thought or objective assessment of the situation at all.

aniym wrote:It's an educated guess, based on what the club have done in the past. Emery spoke publicly about the importance of Ramsey and Auba to our season. They since pulled Ramsey's contract offer and didn't try to lock down Auba when it was clear he was in contention for Golden Boot. Now, it's too late.

During Emery's tenure, over the span of 3 transfer windows the board bought 12 new players and spent nearly £200 million (£145 million net spend). What on earth are you talking about? There is no reason to think they won't bring Arteta new players in the summer.

Also Ramsey was mishandled by Emery (left both the player and his agent confused when they had a meeting) and your Auba comment is complete conjecture, if he doesn't want to sign now why would he want to sign a new contract back then?

Like has nothing to do with it - he seems like a decent bloke.
With no experience at all, his mistakes are amplified.
I thought we got our Arsenal back - but we got Emery
jayramfootball
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Lads, just keep calm and trust Mikel.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm

Angelito wrote:Lads, just keep calm and trust Mikel.

Like 'In Arsene we Trust"?
No time for that. Make the changes fast, start winning, or get lost.
We should not have patience with any manager or any player - we're past that.
I thought we got our Arsenal back - but we got Emery
jayramfootball
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:44 pm

yeah i cant believe liverpool didnt sack klopp after finishing 8th and losing the europa league final to a man who became the worst manager in our history
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby aniym » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 pm

Auba would have signed for more money, just like every other player. At the time, and pretty much right up until Ramsey got injured, Top 4 and a good EL finish were both very realistic. West Ham got Dmitri Payet to sign an improved deal 7 months after signing him. Of course he left 12 months later, but the club doubled their money on the sale.

As for Ramsey's deal, is there anything conclusive to say Emery killed it? He started Ramsey in plenty of games, and he appeared in almost every PL game until his injury.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm

A lot of people here are missing the point.

If Arteta is making the right decisions, playing the right players, playing a formation suited to the players, improving our defence etc ........... what more can a manager do?

If they're still not winning then its the players, simple as that.

Until Mikel starts making decisions I disagree with (which is why I turned on Emery) then no other manager could do any better without refitting the team, something the board won't do.

Mikel has his style of play, he has his formation, he has his expectations, now all we need is to back him with getting rid of who can't cut it and get him a few players he wants and we'll be fine.

Stop acting like clueless children, there is no quick fixes to building a winning culture at a club which was devoid of it for a year solid and where the board won't just buy the manager a new team unlike City etc.

............. when / if Arteta starts making stupid decisions or allows crap performances from players etc then I'll have an issue, but so far I like everything he's doing.
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:A lot of people here are missing the point.

If Arteta is making the right decisions, playing the right players, playing a formation suited to the players, improving our defence etc ........... what more can a manager do?

If they're still not winning then its the players, simple as that.

Until Mikel starts making decisions I disagree with (which is why I turned on Emery) then no other manager could do any better without refitting the team, something the board won't do.

Mikel has his style of play, he has his formation, he has his expectations, now all we need is to back him with getting rid of who can't cut it and get him a few players he wants and we'll be fine.

Stop acting like clueless children, there is no quick fixes to building a winning culture at a which was devoid of it for a year solid and where the board won't just buy the manager a new team unlike City etc.

............. when / if Arteta starts making stupid decisions or allows crap performances from players etc then I'll have an issue, but so far I like everything he's doing.

what a rational post

shame theres two posters who are like this on all matters mikel

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:38 pm

Sims wrote:yeah i cant believe liverpool didnt sack klopp after finishing 8th and losing the europa league final to a man who became the worst manager in our history

Arteta says hi
Ach
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 pm

Ah I see. I fell for the WUM'ing again. Should have known not even you 2 or 3 could be that stupid...………….but then again. :think:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:Lads, just keep calm and trust Mikel.

Like 'In Arsene we Trust"?
No time for that. Make the changes fast, start winning, or get lost.
We should not have patience with any manager or any player - we're past that.

In Arsene, we will always trust. Say what you want, his work from 07-13 is even more impressive looking at the inexperienced youngsters and shower of shit we mostly had, and the way we were financially impoverished.

It's not Arteta's fault that Buffoon#1 Gazidis and Buffoon#2 Sanllehi thought that they knew Arsenal more than Wenger did and ended up hiring Unai Emery—destroying our cohesion, style, and mood all of this after Gazidis and Sanllehi spent £200m for him.

Arteta isn't going to turn us into title challengers in a month. Not after 30 months of disaster at Arsenal.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk