Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby hs6bx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:00 am

I love this man. Still coming down from cloud 9. I was open to arteta when he came in but reserved judgement until after lockdown - he’s really showing what he can do now. The players love him, he is an absolute boss - you can tell from his interviews. He isn’t going to take any shit from any of the players. No egos. Just a united team who fight for each other. If the club back him I fully trust him to bring in the right quality and add to the foundations he’s putting in place in terms of attitude. This is the arteta train - get on board! It’s going to be a f***ing good journey.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:17 am

I am slowly warming to him, jury is still out but I will wait ansd see what happens next season but for now well done Arteta.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:31 am

Even if we didn't win yesterday, Arteta has shown enough to prove he belongs here.

The win is just the icing on the cake. Lets see how those that didn't want him behave next season, it will either be they are supportive or they will attack him after every loss or draw.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:34 am

VCC wrote:For me another who was not sold on Arteta at all, but what started to win me over was the ability to look at the players he has and to play a formation and adapt tactics to those players, the playing a back 3 with the wing backs, and playing into chanels behind defences I rate highly. Tells me he knows how to win with what he has and let's remember he has not had a chance to get players he wants yet.
Aw was called the professor I think Arteta has at the very least shown he is worthy to sit in the seat of many great managers past and the future is alot brighter for it.
Sorry I doubted you gaffa

Wenger was no professor VCC, professor suggest a level of intelligence and intellect, Wenger seemingly had neither. Oblivious to our goal keeping issues, blind to our deficiencies, unaware of our soft centre and pathetically poor defending, he was blinded/seduced by FFP when anyone with half a brain knew the money clubs would find a way around it.

No, Arteta has shown in half a season more intellect and intelligence than Wenger showed in 10 years!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:13 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30842&p=1770862

I love this game hahahahaha
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:30 am

theHotHead wrote:
VCC wrote:For me another who was not sold on Arteta at all, but what started to win me over was the ability to look at the players he has and to play a formation and adapt tactics to those players, the playing a back 3 with the wing backs, and playing into chanels behind defences I rate highly. Tells me he knows how to win with what he has and let's remember he has not had a chance to get players he wants yet.
Aw was called the professor I think Arteta has at the very least shown he is worthy to sit in the seat of many great managers past and the future is alot brighter for it.
Sorry I doubted you gaffa

Wenger was no professor VCC, professor suggest a level of intelligence and intellect, Wenger seemingly had neither. Oblivious to our goal keeping issues, blind to our deficiencies, unaware of our soft centre and pathetically poor defending, he was blinded/seduced by FFP when anyone with half a brain knew the money clubs would find a way around it.

No, Arteta has shown in half a season more intellect and intelligence than Wenger showed in 10 years!

By no means do I personally think AW was a professor its merely the term that has been used for him. I was one of the very first AW out, when we moved and I saw the template offered selling off world class players like we did.
Like i have always said AW threw away more titles than he won imo.
But hey its Artetas baby now onwards and upwards
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rockape » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:40 am

You wouldn’t think it would be so difficult to be a manager, seeing as it’s so obvious to us fans where our failures lie!

I mean it was obvious to most of us where Le Prof was going wrong in his declining years and it’s obvious to me that a manager needs to get his players behind him with good old fashioned team spirit and togetherness. That is the first hurdle to overcome and it seems Mikel has jumped it with ease.

I look towards the next season with renewed hope.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:45 am

If we can get a few match winners in during the short window I think we could drastically improve next season.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Fran Solo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:15 am

Things have changed. United, Chelsea and Real also prefer Solksjaer, Lampard and Zidane rather than some big name managers.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:26 am

Arteta's style is one where he either crashes and burns or achieves.
I said before the final his decisions will make or break him - well he achieved. You simply can't deny that now - so to me that means we have to go with his decisions. As long as we are improving and winning trophies he is right and his critics are wrong. It's that simple.

My mind has changed on him because it's all about seeing the improvements and winning trophies to me. Couldn;t care less about the style or odd decisions as long as what he is doing is working.

We beat Liverpool, City and Chelsea and won a Cup Final in the space of 3 weeks. I can;t see how any Arsenal fan could be critical of Arteta at the moment. It needs to continue, of course, but he's bought himself the leeway now to get on with what he wants to do.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:32 am

Phil71 wrote:If we can get a few match winners in during the short window I think we could drastically improve next season.

Only if we continue with the very clear shift in work rate, concentration and focus on defence.
The way we played against City, Liverpool and Chelsea - whilst not exactly the same - had all the elements we've been missing for a long time. That is what needs to continue. We ave a real shot at top 4 next season if we play like that in EVERY game. Th eplayers have to realise that every single PL game is like a Cup Final. We can't have performances like Villa and Norwich. No good just stepping up for the big games.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:52 am

Sims wrote:https://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30842&p=1770862

I love this game hahahahaha

Looool, there are some corkers in there :rofll:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:57 am

Jay agreed, I can get on board with things like dropping Ozil for example if I can see progression in the football we play and - of course - winning trophies.

Everyone battled yesterday and I don't care what anyone says, coming back from 1-0 down in any game to win is proof of strong character and will, let alone in a major final.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:57 am

No, it seems Arteta has a practical streak. He does believe in a certain style of football but is willing to change to adapt to the situation. And, getting results applies to every coach/manager in professional football. As long as they produce they have a job.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:17 pm

Not gonna lie I haven’t felt this connected with the club for a long time

The way all the players have bought into him, have had nothing but praise for him is unbelievable in contrast to the club 8 months ago

Can’t wait to sign Willian so that all my good faith goes out the window tbh
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk