Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:17 pm

Zenith wrote:

There's no question that the death of our attacking style is on his hands and his alone.

Wenger and Emery both ended their last seasons with +23 GD. Even with a fading Ozil in 18/19, we scored the same number of goals (73), as we usually had in the past decade (between 70-75 per season).

It fell to 56 last season and will fall further this year.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Nuggets wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Needs more time. This summer is key. Lots of deadwood finally gone. Time to bring in some winners.

To think, some people on here have the AUDACITY to call for Don Mikel's head after advising us to appoint the likes of Jose, Nuno or Chris Wilder.

This guy is a nothing manager, he just doesn’t know what he’s doing, doesn’t deserve another summer, we’d just be wasting another season.

How anyone can believe in this overhyped nobody is beyond me, he’s shows he’s totally clueless.

We're 6 points off Liverpool and Everton and 2 off Spurs.

Take away the FA horror shows (Wolves springs to mind) and individual brain farts (back to back red cards) and we'd be challenging for 4th.

He's made several mistakes but he's also got a lot right. I don't see who we can realistically get that would guarantee us better.

It's definitely not the likes of Jose, Nuno or Chris Wilder that some on here were calling for in the summer. Reminds me of the horror days when those same posters told us not getting Owen Coyle or Martinez 'would haunt us forever'.

What logic! If Allison doesn't make stupid mistakes the last 2 games, Liverpool would be higher. If Pickford doesn't make mistakes all season, Everton would have more points. If Tottenhams defenders wouldn't make routine mistakes all the time, they'd have more points. Mistakes are part of the game, Arteta is not the only manager who's players make mistakes. Stop defending Arteta by blaming bad luck and mistakes. We are terrible by all advanced stats, regardless of mistakes.
:clap: :clap:

The difference is in games like Wolves we were dominating only for horror decisions to completely gut us.

You're right it's easy to Wenger your way out of things and put losses down to bad luck, but this season I do feel we've had a lot more horror decisions from referees / players than usual. Often times just when we're building confidence. 5 red card and 3 own goals is ridiculous.

I'm all for criticism where it's due and a lot of it being directed at Mikel is fair but I do think some perspective is needed. As well as the above our best player has completely disappeared, our big signing is constantly injured and we've had to deal with the ongoing sagas around Ozil, Sokratis, Kola etc.

As Pep said in his presser, "what I see in the last two months every game Arsenal played is better than the opponent". Whilst I don't agree with that statement across every game for the most part it's true.

I still think we should give him until next season when he's had a full / normal pre-season and hasn't been restricted by having to offload players before signing new ones. I don't really see the benefit of changing the manager before that - especially considering the realistic options to replace him.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gamechannel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Needs more time. This summer is key. Lots of deadwood finally gone. Time to bring in some winners.

To think, some people on here have the AUDACITY to call for Don Mikel's head after advising us to appoint the likes of Jose, Nuno or Chris Wilder.

This guy is a nothing manager, he just doesn’t know what he’s doing, doesn’t deserve another summer, we’d just be wasting another season.

How anyone can believe in this overhyped nobody is beyond me, he’s shows he’s totally clueless.

Take away the FA horror shows (Wolves springs to mind) and individual brain farts (back to back red cards) and we'd be challenging for 4th.

He's made several mistakes but he's also got a lot right. I don't see who we can realistically get that would guarantee us better.

It's definitely not the likes of Jose, Nuno or Chris Wilder that some on here were calling for in the summer. Reminds me of the horror days when those same posters told us not getting Owen Coyle or Martinez 'would haunt us forever'.

What logic! If Allison doesn't make stupid mistakes the last 2 games, Liverpool would be higher. If Pickford doesn't make mistakes all season, Everton would have more points. If Tottenhams defenders wouldn't make routine mistakes all the time, they'd have more points. Mistakes are part of the game, Arteta is not the only manager who's players make mistakes. Stop defending Arteta by blaming bad luck and mistakes. We are terrible by all advanced stats, regardless of mistakes.

The difference is in games like Wolves we were dominating only for horror decisions to completely gut us.

You're right it's easy to Wenger your way out of things and put losses down to bad luck, but this season I do feel we've had a lot more horror decisions from referees / players than usual. Often times just when we're building confidence. 5 red card and 3 own goals is ridiculous.

I'm all for criticism where it's due and a lot of it being directed at Mikel is fair but I do think some perspective is needed. As well as the above our best player has completely disappeared, our big signing is constantly injured and we've had to deal with the ongoing sagas around Ozil, Sokratis, Kola etc.

As Pep said in his presser, "what I see in the last two months every game Arsenal played is better than the opponent". Whilst I don't agree with that statement across every game for the most part it's true.

I still think we should give him until next season when he's had a full / normal pre-season and hasn't been restricted by having to offload players before signing new ones. I don't really see the benefit of changing the manager before that - especially considering the realistic options to replace him.

If you by what other managers say about Arteta than Thierry Henry should be managing Barcelona given how highly Wenger spoke of him. You gotta take stuff other managers say with a grain of salt. They're not gonna shit on their close friend.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 pm

Ach wrote:What's Arteta said?

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta speaking to Sky Sports: "When we conceded the first goal it put us in a difficult situation. It was tough. With the formation and the players they use they are really comfortable. After that the team reacted really well, were on top of the game and created chances but we lacked the quality in those situations to score the goal.

:rofll:

We were on top? Created chances? What chances?

The guy is delusional.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:28 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:

Exactly. The momentum bit is the key for me, everytime we get anything going we either come up against a stonker like man city or come up against a c*** ref.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm

I don’t believe it to be good enough
I don’t believe it to be worse than 17/18
I am not fudging win loss
They are facts
We are better defensively now than we were in wenger’s last 36 games as well

It's not a fact. At this stage of the season under Wenger we lost 9 games across all competitions where Arteta has lost 13 games. In the Premier League alone had lost 7 under Wenger. We've just lost for the 11th time under Arteta. What facts are you looking at?

We're 10th in the league now, this time under Wenger we were 6th! The defensive record doesn't matter when looking in isolation. What about goals? Totally disagree with you on this one.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:34 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:

Liverpool are 5 points behind top 4 and have lost 3 on the trot and are in terrible form, by their standards it’s been a really poor season, likewise Spurs they are in awful form.

People keep saying we’re x amount of points behind this team and that team but we’ve been stuck in midtable or below all season, weve never been better and have never challenged those teams for their positions and won’t because we’re incapable of putting a good enough run together under Arteta.

He’s not done a lot right to be honest, 11 losses just 10 wins, so we’ve lose more than we’ve won, we’ve largely struggled for goals, mistakes are happening regularly and that’s on the manager as it’s not one offs, he’s picking the players and clearly doing something wrong for them to keep making errors.

His selections are questionable, subs puzzling and results are poor, I don’t see the benefit of keeping him, he’s never proved he can do anything before, in my eyes he’s just not a very good manager and there’s no evidence in his career to show otherwise.

We took a punt on a guy who had never managed and never proven anything and it’s gone pear shaped which is no big surprise. Draw a line under it and move one and bring in another surperior manager, we’d have to be truly in incompetent to replace him with someone that doesn’t do a better job because he’s been simply awful.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:35 pm

gamechannel wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:

If you by what other managers say about Arteta than Thierry Henry should be managing Barcelona given how highly Wenger spoke of him. You gotta take stuff other managers say with a grain of salt. They're not gonna shit on their close friend.

Pretty much, Guardiola is friends with him, he’s hardly going to tell people the guy isn’t up to the job and needs to be replaced.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:40 pm

Santi wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:

Exactly. The momentum bit is the key for me, everytime we get anything going we either come up against a stonker like man city or come up against a c*** ref.

Absolute rubbish sorry, that’s just an excuse, all season we’ve been rubbish, we never had this when we were winning titles, simply because winners make things happen whilst losers make excuses as to why it hasn’t and why you’ve been hard done by.

The reason these things happen and we lose is because the manager is doing a poor job, bad decisions are part of the game and happens to everyone, we’ve had plenty of times to recover and comeback as we just don’t because Arteta isn’t good enough.

Tired of people playing the victim card, the bloke is an awful manager, how long will it take people to see that, he’s been able to do whatever he wants and yet we can’t get higher than midtable and lose every other game!
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:43 pm

tired of u moaning about arteta as well buddy but hey
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:43 pm

Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:

Absolute rubbish sorry, that’s just an excuse, all season we’ve been rubbish, we never had this when we were winning titles, simply because winners make things happen whilst losers make excuses as to why it hasn’t and why you’ve been hard done by.

The reason these things happen and we lose is because the manager is doing a poor job, bad decisions are part of the game and happens to everyone, we’ve had plenty of times to recover and comeback as we just don’t because Arteta isn’t good enough.

Tired of people playing the victim card.

100% Agree
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:47 pm

Santi wrote:tired of u moaning about arteta as well buddy but hey

Not my fault he’s incompetent and can’t do better than midtable despite all that he has at his disposal.

West Ham are 4th, Leicester are 2nd
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:47 pm

The point is we need the momentum because we aren't good enough. We need strikers to be finishing the half chances they're getting and we need the refs not to give us the bullshit decisions like Luiz red.

We are not good enough to cope with better teams and all the shit on top of it. That's why it gets pointed out, if you win 3-0 and get a dodgy red card at the end do you give a f**k? of course not. When you need all 11 players on the pitch to win, playing their best, then of course it'll get mentioned.

You think if Arteta isn't the manager we're gonna be like City and able to win despite dogshit refs and var calls? Deluded.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:tired of u moaning about arteta as well buddy but hey

Not my fault he’s incompetent and can’t do better than midtable despite all that he has at his disposal.

What's he got at his disposal?

Decent keeper
shit rbs
shit rcbs
good lcb
good lb
shit cms x 4
shit rw x 72m
lazy ass lw x 350k pw
GOAT cf
great young kid x2

mmm yeah should be top tbh
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:49 pm

I think a decent manager elevates players performances rather than than makes them less effective.

Arteta has got most of our best players playing rubbish, that’s also on him, he’s in charge of training and motivating them, that’s his job.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk