Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby ag6789 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm

Agree with many of the posts of late. Taking stock after 25 games and it is not a pretty sight. I understand the occasional hiccups but 11 defeats doesn't justify much progress. Especially against many mid/ low table teams which we should have dealt better. I think we have spend enough over last two seasons to form a competitive unit but too many misses ( Willian, Pepe, Ceb, Odegaard, so far) means either the recruiting team isn't working properly or the team management isn't good enough. So the blame slowly circulates to Arteta and Edu. I think both should be under tight leash and should show some progress by end of the season ( at least 6th).
The prospect of 4th season out of CL w/the possibility of being out of EU completely, is difficult to stomach. We should be much better than this.
Goes on to show what tremendous job Wenger had done for 22 yrs. He gave us the cake for so long that we have forgotten how rough bread tastes like.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:03 pm

Rockape wrote:Thing is, everyone can moan and call for his head, but we know its not going to happen. He's got until the end of the season at the earliest, so its going to be Groundhog day on this thread for a while yet! We have a shit load of tough PL fixtures coming up too!

Think he's got more time than that.

Comfortably see him staying until at least the summer of 2022.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:04 pm

If they didn't sack him after the run we had in November and December, they won't sack him this summer. Even if we finish 10th.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby gamechannel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm

Santi wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Moyes took over last season when West Ham were in the relegation zone. He saved them from relegation and West Ham sacked Pellerini to appoint Moyes. There wasn’t a turnaround from the same manager.

Villa is a different story. They were playing Championship football the league before. I doubt there would have been a major outcry for him to be sacked if that were our position.

I agree with this, those are 2 entirely different scenarios to ours and Arteta's starting position. The only squads that are better than ours are Man City and Liverpool, I can't honestly say that Chelsea, Man U or Spurs have a better squad than us, Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Villa definitely don't have better squads than us. The fact that Arteta has got a decent team playing like chumps is not the fault of the players, especially when you consider that this squad is better thean emery's last squad and Emery's last squad is better than Wenger's last squad !

Who would I take from Chelsea ? Maybe Mount but I prefer ESR, Havertz doesn't get a game, Werner doesn't cut it for me and neither does Ziyech. Partey is better than Kante.

Who would I take from Man U ? Fernandes, Pogba, Rashford, Wan Bisaka. But at the same time I think Auba, Gabriel, Leno, Partey, Saka and ESR get into their team too.

Who would I take from Spurs ? Kane, Son, thats it, all their other players are no better than what we have.

If anyone tells me Leicester and Villa have better squads than us I know they are either wumming or just trying to stick to their argument and not give ground. The Leicester players I would take are Vardy, Barnes, Maddison and Perreira. Again I think Auba, Gabriel, Saka, Tierney and Partey get into their squad.

Their formula is simple. Suck off Artetas nuts when we win and blame the players when we lose. You won't convince them. He dresses up in those European fit turtle necks and jackets, uses an iPad, barks instructions from the sidelines, pretends as if he knows what he's doing, has a hot wife, uses buzz words like process, non-negotiables, tactics etc and has good dark hair. That's enough for them to collectively scream like little school girls, "OMG! MY MANAGER!!"

See this is the problem when you can’t read or comprehend anything, you just throw out hyperbolic bullshit that isn’t true.

Arteta is the same whether we win or lose, a rookie manager learning his way making some mistakes and doing some things right. We have to hope he does more of the latter and less of the former since it looks like the board have no intention of moving on from him. When we win you might get a few ‘don mikel’ comments as a joke to those who spend 24 hours a day slating him but that’s all it is. The squad is shit when we lose and still shit when we win, it’s good enough for about 8th so currently the combination of Arteta, odd Covid season and 500 red cards has us about 2 places below where we should be...that’s not enough to be foaming at the mouth and making drastic decisions over. I know it sucks and we’re not used to being in mid table but this is the reality of a neglected squad for 5+ years, the mistakes Mikel has made haven’t stopped us being top 4.

For me it was clear all summer we needed a creative CM over the Partey type, this is still a huge hole in the team as we couldnt afford one and I expect it to be addressed as #1 priority this summer. Mikel has until the end of the season to prove he deserves the chance to buy that player and have another window to improve the squad so that we can actually compete for top 4.

If we get that CM and hopefully keep Partey fit then we have a 10x better midfield for season, that alone I’m hoping will massively improve the quality of our play. The other big problem to solve is getting Auba firing again. Should we stick with Mikel into next season and still see shit football despite another window then his time will be well and truly up.

Anyway, back to sucking Mikel’s balls I go I guess...

A new CM and Partey have NOTHING to do with how we play and the overall style/tactics. NOTHING!

His negative style of play has hamstrung our attack and made us incredibly easy to defend against.

EVERY club in the world is dealing with Covid and the resulting financial constraints including the likes of Leicester, Aston Villa, West Ham etc. There's no excuse for Arteta's shortcomings. He's learning on the job? What has he really learnt being on the job for 1.5 years? How has he improved? Learning would mean you'd see improvements with every game. We have only seen the team going backwards across the board despite having a better squad than Wengers and Emerys last seasons.

The responsibility always lies with the manager. Period. If he wins plaudits for wins, he must face the music for losses too without excuses like Red cards, covid, shit squad etc being thrown around.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby elkanofan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Callum wrote:If they didn't sack him after the run we had in November and December, they won't sack him this summer. Even if we finish 10th.
If we don't get at least top 6 and win the EL

Or by a miracle get top 4.

Do you honestly believe he deserves to stay next season and what are your reasons for keeping him?

I ask this to those who still seem convinced Arteta is the man.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:07 pm

The problem will be after Arteta who?
European managers will require substantial fund inputs to build their own. Though the young guns will adapt again to a new manger don't expect the seniors like Auba, Laca, Luiz, Willian changing their ways. Then another merry go round of off loading will start. An English manager is probably a better bait willing work with limited budget and whatever is available.
But overall another bout of uncertainty fir another season.
During rhe transition from GG to Wenger via Rioch we were very lucky, but might not be this time. Looks like years of mediocrity ahead.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:17 pm

Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If reports are correct Mourinho had/has a game or 2 to keep his job.

Meanwhile Arteta who is doing even worse is under no pressure.

Remind me who is the bigger club?!

Us with the 31 trophies

You are living in the past, we are a big club with small ambitions otherwise we would NEVER taken on a manager who had never managed a team in his life because he was the cheap option.

We have a player in the squad who has been here for all of our 4 fa cup wins
Spurs still not troubled the engraver
How is that living in the past?

I am talking about the club in general, we were a better club than the spuds in the past but we are on the same sh1t level now.

There have been plenty of occasions when Spurs have had a better team than us
This is one of them
But a better club
What a load of bollocks
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:28 pm

ag6789 wrote:The problem will be after Arteta who?
European managers will require substantial fund inputs to build their own. Though the young guns will adapt again to a new manger don't expect the seniors like Auba, Laca, Luiz, Willian changing their ways. Then another merry go round of off loading will start. An English manager is probably a better bait willing work with limited budget and whatever is available.
During rhe transition from GG to Wenger via Rioch we were very lucky, but might not be this time. Looks like years of mediocrity ahead.

Auba and Willian have only fallen off this year, and it's unrelated to their age.

The players are professionals, and they can adapt just fine. Auba's scoring form didn't end when Emery left and Arteta began. Willian didn't disappear when Conte left and Sarri/Lampard took over.

The problem is that the manager is still making up his mind about tactics and formations. So one day you see Pepe on the left with Auba central, but on another day it's Auba on the far left and Laca/Eddie central. Same with Saka.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gamechannel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:01 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Callum wrote:If they didn't sack him after the run we had in November and December, they won't sack him this summer. Even if we finish 10th.

Do you honestly believe he deserves to stay next season and what are your reasons for keeping him?

I'm already convinced he's not the man. But if he can't get top 6 or win the the EL, not sure how he can be defended.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ag6789 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm

After around 30 games this season, we can safely say that Auba is in poor form and Willian has not settled in Arsenal.
Now at 33 ( after the current term) yrs of age these players will be back in peach form is debatable but probabilities start to decline, and another manager will bring in another set of parameters which will throw a new set of uncertainties. Human beings like predictable environment and that's why I say future is a little sketchy at AFC.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm

ag6789 wrote:Agree with many of the posts of late. Taking stock after 25 games and it is not a pretty sight. I understand the occasional hiccups but 11 defeats doesn't justify much progress. Especially against many mid/ low table teams which we should have dealt better. I think we have spend enough over last two seasons to form a competitive unit but too many misses ( Willian, Pepe, Ceb, Odegaard, so far) means either the recruiting team isn't working properly or the team management isn't good enough. So the blame slowly circulates to Arteta and Edu. I think both should be under tight leash and should show some progress by end of the season ( at least 6th).
The prospect of 4th season out of CL w/the possibility of being out of EU completely, is difficult to stomach. We should be much better than this.
Goes on to show what tremendous job Wenger had done for 22 yrs. He gave us the cake for so long that we have forgotten how rough bread tastes like.

A cake is beating Barcelona
A dinner is going through in the tie
I want big dinners
starmandb

Postby Callum » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:51 pm

elkanofan wrote:

I'm not convinced Arteta is the man who'll lead us to where we want to be, but I do think he can improve us. There are flaws in his management—substitutions, game management, and our inconsistent attack—but I also think he's suffered from factors either out of his control or decisions made before his time, such as the mismanagement at board level and the imbalanced, bloated squad he inherited from Wenger and Emery's tenures.

I also acknowledged, as the club did, that when he appointed him we were appointing a young manager who was going to have to learn on the job. He's taken over at a time where the club's finances have suffered, there are no fans in stadiums, and the club as a whole is in a state of flux. This doesn't absolve him of his mistakes but I do think those considerations must be made.

Either way, the club made their stance clear when they promoted him to Manager and when they didn't buckle during that awful run of form. I don't see them making a change anytime soon. I'm not going to sit here saying he needs to be sacked but I'm also not certain that he'll deliver us Champions League football either, although with the way this club has been run I'm not confident there's many available managers I'd be confident of doing that either.

I like what I've seen since the Chelsea game, and do feel we have potential in the squad with the likes of Gabriel, Tierney, Smith Rowe, Martinelli and Saka. I can't see the club losing their nerve, even if we finish midtable, so rather than calling for his head and frothing at the mouth that we didn't appoint Ancelotti I'm happy to wait and see how this season and the next plays out.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm

ag6789 wrote:The problem will be after Arteta who?

People keep saying this but I don't agree, not all top managers will demand big transfer kitties.

Like him or not Mourinho is still classed as a top manager, he went to Spurs who have spent as much money as us ! Ancelotti went to Everton, we spend more than them:

2019/20
Arsenal - spent £144.36m, sold £48.29m
Everton - spent £108.9m, sold £72.45m
Spurs - spent £133.65m, sold £58.05m

2020/21
Arsenal - spent £75.6m, sold £16.79m
Everton - spent 67.38m, sold £3.98m
Spurs - spent £99.45m, sold £11.97m
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:52 pm

gamechannel wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

I'm already convinced he's not the man. But if he can't get top 6 or win the the EL, not sure how he can be defended.

Talk of top 8 being acceptable is madness, this is a top 6 squad AT WORST !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:00 pm

Callum wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

I like what I've seen since the Chelsea game, and do feel we have potential in the squad with the likes of Gabriel, Tierney, Smith Rowe, Martinelli and Saka. I can't see the club losing their nerve, even if we finish midtable, so rather than calling for his head and frothing at the mouth that we didn't appoint Ancelotti I'm happy to wait and see how this season and the next plays out.

Not sure how you can be happy to wait and see how this season plays out, let alone the next. If we finish this season with the mediocrity on display now I won't be tuning in to watch Arsenal, I was excited about this season, thats all gone now, it will be like the final seasons of Wenger all over again, the apathy will take over.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk