Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:08 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Jedi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:What turds on the pitch?? They were not turds under different managers. Why is it always the fault of the players, why is it the players that let the manager down?

If your manager sends you to do battle using the wrong tactics, its the manager to blame.

The tactics were absolutely perfect and Arsenal completely dominated the game.

So why didn't they win?
The ref, the pitch, var, blah, blah, blah...
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:24 pm

Jedi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:What turds on the pitch?? They were not turds under different managers. Why is it always the fault of the players, why is it the players that let the manager down?

If your manager sends you to do battle using the wrong tactics, its the manager to blame.

So perfect we failed to win and could only score one goal against some whipping boys.

Doesn’t sound like perfect tactics to me, perfect tactics would involve beating this team comfortably and creating plenty of chances on top of the goals scored.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:47 pm

Jedi wrote:

Why, because we had possession?

All that passing between the defense doesn't equate to good possession, it equates to time wasting.

Our failing is this squad don't know how to attack well enough, they are scared to get in the box which is where penalties and goals are made (like Pepe's non given penalty), its just not good enough.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:01 pm

Can’t workout why this guy gets some much grace from fans, he was a nobody when he came in and he should have been given a year to show what he can do, he’s been here 15 months and has been very average/poor.

I don’t see the improvement or what he’s brought to this club except for more defeats and turning us into midtable mainstays.

Emery wouldn’t have got this long had he been as poor as Arteta and when he had a bad spell the fans wanted him sacked and he was eventually sacked.

I don’t really know what people are hoping with this guy, we all know some thought he’d be the new Klopp/Guardiola however unlikely that was, it’s fair to say he isn’t.

I can’t see the benefit of keep him on beyond the summer, would be better to cut out losses and find someone better.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Nuggets » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm

Özim wrote:Can’t workout why this guy gets some much grace from fans, he was a nobody when he came in and he should have been given a year to show what he can do, he’s been here 15 months and has been very average/poor.

I don’t see the improvement or what he’s brought to this club except for more defeats and turning us into midtable mainstays.

Emery wouldn’t have got this long had he been as poor as Arteta and when he had a bad spell the fans wanted him sacked and he was eventually sacked.

I don’t really know what people are hoping with this guy, we all know some thought he’d be the new Klopp/Guardiola however unlikely that was, it’s fair to say he isn’t.

I can’t see the benefit of keep him on beyond the summer, would be better to cut out losses and find someone better.

I think that one of the reasons is the board don't want to admit they feck up hiring a nobody in the first place, he is also the owner's son pet project. He is lucky that there are no fans in the stadium. ;)
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Santi » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Won a trophy, beating 2 big teams on the way, in his first 9 months (3 months delayed by corona) but yeah can't see any reason he gets any grace.

Mad lad.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:25 pm

Santi wrote:Won a trophy, beating 2 big teams on the way, in his first 9 months (3 months delayed by corona) but yeah can't see any reason he gets any grace.

Mad lad.

I’d much rather he’d have won the EL, moreover it doesn’t but him much grace as it’s the easiest trophy to win other than the Caraboa, one off matches can always lead to shocks.

Plus considering how bad he’s been in everything else the FA cup is looking like the anomaly he got lucky to win, he needed to do more than win a few matches in a cup competition.

Again I remind you Wigan won the FA cup in recent history as well. There’s way way too much put on that FA cup win, the cup really doesn’t show a lot, Wenger won it a few times in his latter years and it never led to anything more or any progress.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:40 pm

Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:Won a trophy, beating 2 big teams on the way, in his first 9 months (3 months delayed by corona) but yeah can't see any reason he gets any grace.

Mad lad.

I’d much rather he’d have won the EL, moreover it doesn’t but him much grace as it’s the easiest trophy to win other than the Caraboa, one off matches can always lead to shocks.

Plus considering how bad he’s been in everything else the FA cup is looking like the anomaly he got lucky to win, he needed to do more than win a few matches in a cup competition.

Again I remind you Wigan won the FA cup in recent history as well. There’s way way too much put on that FA cup win, the cup really doesn’t show a lot, Wenger won it a few times in his latter years and it never led to anything more or any progress.

FA Cup wins remain important trophies - always will.
You can't take that away from Arteta.
Community shield - yeah irrelevant - but the FA Cup is not easy to win at all.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:52 pm

As far as I'm concered us beating Olympiakos and progressing to at least the Semi-Finals is make or break for me.

I'd say I'm approx 75% Arteta Out which would reduce with good results but if we fluff the Europa with all that's on the line this season then that's going to move to 95% instantly if not 100%.

Sick of this meandering, other managers are getting more from their teams with a lot less.

West Ham, Leicester, Aston Villa and Everton to name just the ones above us, I'd even add Spurs to that list, Mourhino has less to work with, only Song and Kane are stars in that team and they're 8th and in Europa.

This experiment with Arteta is just not bearing fruit imo.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:27 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:

Mad lad.

FA Cup wins remain important trophies - always will.
You can't take that away from Arteta.
Community shield - yeah irrelevant - but the FA Cup is not easy to win at all.

They’re nice and all that but it doesn’t get him a lot of grace period for me as the league position has been dreadful. That the real indicator of a good manager, not wining an FA cup in a freakish season.

He ended last season 8th, we’re now sitting 10th and that for me is far more important than any FA cup, there’s been zero progress, unlike the likes of Ancelotti where there is definite progress.

Arteta is getting such an easy time of it given how poor he’s been, 10th isn’t acceptable on any level for Arsenal and there’s no excuses anyone can make to explain that, he’s got a decent squad, his management has been dreadful however and he should be sacked based on that.

I’m amazed some people still support this guy, he’s been a failure and I don’t believe he can achieve anything here and more importantly there is no evidence he can, there’s much more evidence suggesting he can’t in fact.

He’s a manager, he’s not Arsenal, the way I see it he’s replaceable and should be replaced, I don’t support Arteta I support Arteta and he’s not good for Arsenal so I want him out.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:36 pm

The FA Cup win shouldn't get him any grace, its a cup, its not an indicator of form or our position related to others, the league does that. Winning the FA Cup doesn't allow him free reign, it didn't give Wenger free reign and he was a club legend.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:41 pm

He'll be here for rest of the season even if Ozim moans and groans every day. It is sounding like a broken record now. Arteta has won couple of competition and has earned the right to manage for a season. It is never easy to win anything not to speak of an FA cup. If you do it you get a grace period. Any professional team will give you that ( anyone but the oligarchs maybe since they have money to burn or throw away, like Anchelotti and Pelligrini getting sacked after successful seasons).
Have to be patient for another couple of months for Arte's head to roll.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:57 pm

Lol couple competitions, one is a charity friendly game.

The FA cup is nice but it’s not what it use to be and whilst it was good to win, it shouldn’t detract from the real prize, the league and then of course the CL, that’s where all big clubs focus their attention.

He’s earnt very little, as HH says above it’s a cup and is a completely different dynamic to the league, CL or even EL (where you have to beat teams over two legs in the knockout stages and of course get a place in the CL if you win it) he’s been rubbish, worst manager I’ve seen manage Arsenal and I’ve supported Arsenal since the Graham days.

Btw I don’t plan on stopping giving my opinion and don’t care what the club does, they’re wrong IMO and I won’t support their stance if I think it harms the clubs interests.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:03 pm

theHotHead wrote:The FA Cup win shouldn't get him any grace, its a cup, its not an indicator of form or our position related to others, the league does that. Winning the FA Cup doesn't allow him free reign, it didn't give Wenger free reign and he was a club legend.

Yes that’s where I stand with it, it doesn’t reflect a managers ability or indicate progress with the team and with a finisher like Aubameyang you always have a chance in one off matches as he’s a match winner that can get you goals against anyone, that’s the beauty of goalscorers.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:31 pm

I'd happily back the manager if he won EL or ended Top 6 or whatever the last EL qualification spot is.

Realistically, both are difficult to achieve, but Arteta put himself in this position where anything but would be a major failure. I don't expect silverware every season, but surely Top 6 should be a hard target. Winning an FA cup in 2014 didn't give Wenger an excuse to coast. Whatever credit Arteta had in the bank disappeared with that horrible run of performances up to late December.

It's one thing for standards to drop during a period of transition. But with things as they are now, what systemic improvements is Arteta likely to bring?

We've won less, scored less and lost more. We can blame individual mistakes and referee decisions going against us, but the table doesn't lie.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk