Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Pep's endorsement and the PR hype around his abilities has helped carry the optimism. It may take years for him to become a good manager but that's assuming their will be progress and an upwards trajectory. Took Wenger 4 years to find his mojo when first starting as a manager. Almost twice as long for Klopp to find his. Not sure what the Board are expecting but are they prepared to give a similar amount of time to Arteta to develop? Surely that's suicidal for the club and especially if we're bleeding money.

When I think back to other "rookie" managers geting their first jobs at big clubs all I can recall are sackings when results were not acceptable, they don't get time.

All I know is the list is very short of managers with zero experience that went on to do well in management after getting a big first job.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 pm

Opinions are slowly beginning to shift. Initially he was considered an insider, an Arsenal man, and we lapped it up when he was appointed, but too many insipid displays have left the fan base bemused. Wrighty, Keown and Dixon, solidly behind him previously have started to question his approach. He'll be closely watched from now on.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:06 pm

ag6789 wrote:Opinions are slowly beginning to shift. Initially he was considered an insider, an Arsenal man, and we lapped it up when he was appointed, but too many insipid displays have left the fan base bemused. Wrighty, Keown and Dixon, solidly behind him previously have started to question his approach. He'll be closely watched from now on.

I think he was accepted by the fan base because the "anybody could do better" argument was strong at the time. Plus Chelsea having Lampard at the helm doing well with no transfer window helped legitimize the appointment of an under-qualified ex-player.

A year later and Lampard is gone, sacked due to a run of bad results. Yet here we still are, lower than where the last guy left us.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm

We are not Chelsea and I don't think their hire and fire approach is healthy, though they seem to be getting away w/it since Abramovich arrived. I personally would look for the next Wenger but the new manager has to show progress within a reasonable time frame, say 18 months.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:05 pm

ag6789 wrote:We are not Chelsea and I don't think their hire and fire approach is healthy, though they seem to be getting away w/it since Abramovich arrived. I personally would look for the next Wenger but the new manager has to show progress within a reasonable time frame, say 18 months.

I used to think the same but it's not just a Chelsea or big club thing.

Everton have had 5/6 new managers in the last 5 years. Same with Leicester City since promotion to the Premier League. Not many coach's get a long run to build a squad. They usually have to earn their stay and show progress within 18 months, as you've said. I guess for clubs on a smaller budget it's even more crucial for them to not waste limited resources on a manger that can't achieve the club's goals. If it looks dodgy after a year they don't stick by the manager and continue to build on sand which is what we might be doing.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Pep's endorsement and the PR hype around his abilities has helped carry the optimism. It may take years for him to become a good manager but that's assuming their will be progress and an upwards trajectory. Took Wenger 4 years to find his mojo when first starting as a manager. Almost twice as long for Klopp to find his. Not sure what the Board are expecting but are they prepared to give a similar amount of time to Arteta to develop? Surely that's suicidal for the club and especially if we're bleeding money.

Let’s be honest, I don’t think the board know what they’re doing, no big club in their right minds would accept the level of performance we’re seeing, especially from a guy who has never shown he’s capable of better.

There isn’t and never has been any evidence Arteta can become a decent manager, he’s just a bloke who played football at an average level for us who the got given a job by his pal Pep and then got hyped beyond belief by the same guy.

It’s a friend doing another friend a couple favours, it happens all the time outside football, the only difference is a select few including the club and some fans have bought into it.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 pm

Down to 11th

How is he still in the job ffs
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Ach wrote:Down to 11th

Tell me about it’s, it’s ridiculous, he’s turned us into midtable cannon fodder and somehow that’s acceptable to some people because it’s part of the process and the best we should be doing is 8th!

As I said before if they’d told us that a year and 3 months into his tenure we’d be sitting 11th no one would have wanted him, so how is it acceptable now?

Emery was crucified for his performance and no one wanted to give him another year then and yet Arteta is doing worse.

I actually don’t care what some say the club have decided (keeping him on) because IMO it shows incompetence.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:04 pm

Pro.....gress.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:22 pm

On a slightly different note, I remember some peeps, naming no names *cough Santi cough* saying Southampton had a better squad than us, a couple months back.

Southampton are now 14th lol. Our squad is underperforming.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

#TheNextKloppiola
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:26 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Pro.....gress.

From 15th, aye, but thats like being happy that being punched in the face only broke your jaw but didn't knock any teeth out.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Pro.....gress.

It would have been some progress if he got us up to 5th and then later dropped to 11th.

But we have never gone above 8th, which was his starting point. In fact we have spent the majority of his tenure below 8th.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:27 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Pro.....gress.

From 15th, aye, but thats like being happy that being punched in the face only broke your jaw but didn't knock any teeth out.

I'm being sarcastic, captain obvious.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 pm

All the run around after Xmas did was ensure survival. Now we are back to normal and back to bottom half.
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk