Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Sims wrote:Not gonna lie I haven’t felt this connected with the club for a long time

The way all the players have bought into him, have had nothing but praise for him is unbelievable in contrast to the club 8 months ago

Can’t wait to sign Willian so that all my good faith goes out the window tbh

And 6 of those months younwere nowhere to be seen as Arteta stunk the place up.

Welcome back. Stay and we win trophies.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:42 pm

We got screwed in the EL probably would have been two trophies otherwise
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:11 pm

After yesterday’s result and the way the players were, I’m willing to give him a chance too, just as long as he keeps progressing and also shows signs of getting rid of the substandard players.

We needed Europe and it’s good to have qualified now, hopefully we have a bit more to spend now, will be looking carefully who we sign as well.

Credit where credits due, he seems to have got good team spirit in the squad and whilst some of his decisions are puzzling it does seem to have worked at the end of the season.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Jedi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Sims wrote:https://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30842&p=1770862

I love this game hahahahaha

Damn, a lot of people need to eat crow...
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Jedi wrote:
Sims wrote:https://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30842&p=1770862

Absolute gold

Shout out Holdini who wanted Eddie Howe instead

Ozim has been humiliated time and time again so I’ll give him a pass
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Sims wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Absolute gold

Actually nah f**k him

Özim wrote:This just shows how easy it is to please some Arsenal fans, the club need to make literally no effort, this guy was interviewed last time round so they knew all about him anyway, they probably didn't even have a shortlist, this guy was probably the easiest and cheapest option. How anyone can get excited about this appointment is beyond me.

If this goes pearshaped the club will only have itself to blame.

And this guy

Jack The Ripper wrote:I'm broken, so so so sad. I can't believe we have appointed a guy who has never ever been a manager, not even in non-league football, and who was a awful garbage slow and all around horrific player for us.

We are in a mess and this is the biggest kick in the teeth ever, I'm sad because the chances of us getting relegated is very high now, I'd say we are odds on favorites with Watford to go down, theres no question about it now, this has just confirmed it. Players don't want him, many of them, Auba will down tools, we have no hope.

And to top it all off this guy with a phd in psychology & body language; Dr f***ing idiot

The Break Water wrote:What a load of waffle, just seen his press conference, he was just babbling on with his mouth but his eyes was not telling the same story, I can read body language very well, his mouth is saying it but he has no passion or conviction in his voice, his voice is timid and unsure. His eyes are telling something different. He reminds me of that failure Walcott, talked absolute nonsense after every game, would get beat 6-0 and then come out and say we are so positive and can bounce back from this, just babbled on and on and on while getting worse and worse on the pitch.

I'm not convinced at all, I know there are a lot of thick people out there, but I can read deeper. This is not gonna end well, I want to be wrong but I know I won't be. Shame really.

God bless Jedi, marsbar, Phil, PG and several others who backed him xxx
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:23 pm

When they were first talking about appointing him I didn't want any of the names going around, I didn't want Ancelloti, Mourhino or Arteta.

My concern with Arteta is that this was his first ever job so was a complete gamble, it was a risk I didn't think Arsenal needed to take but at the same time I saw that we weren't attracting managers like Nagglesmann or Simeone because of the way we were offering the job.

I got on board with Arteta from his first Press conference he did for the club and fans, that's before a ball had even been kicked.

In the end of the day it was a gamble, but its paid off and I hope it continues to, true test does come next season mind but we should all want him to succeed.

DiamondGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:““The direction is going to be very clear, and it’s not going to be negotiable”

Yeah have to admit, I like what he said, frank and honest and he didn't gloss over it when asked "Arsenal is known for playing fluent attacking football, are you afraid that identity has recently slipped" .......... Arteta "Yes, I'm afraid so".

That's all I needed to hear.

No BS, as he says the players either perform or fk off.

Ultimately the players have been ruining this club since Wenger, our fault for buying them, some of its the managers faults for wacky ideas or not giving us a clear philosophy but right now the players attitudes fkin stink and we need to route it out even if we have to turn over half the squad to get it done.

One of the best things he said was "We need to create a culture for success" like I said, he's got that from City and he knows we don't, he's going to have to force fk that into this pathetic bunch that's for sure.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jase89 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:24 pm

Sims wrote:
Sims wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Absolute gold

Actually nah f**k him

Özim wrote:This just shows how easy it is to please some Arsenal fans, the club need to make literally no effort, this guy was interviewed last time round so they knew all about him anyway, they probably didn't even have a shortlist, this guy was probably the easiest and cheapest option. How anyone can get excited about this appointment is beyond me.

If this goes pearshaped the club will only have itself to blame.

And this guy

Jack The Ripper wrote:I'm broken, so so so sad. I can't believe we have appointed a guy who has never ever been a manager, not even in non-league football, and who was a awful garbage slow and all around horrific player for us.

We are in a mess and this is the biggest kick in the teeth ever, I'm sad because the chances of us getting relegated is very high now, I'd say we are odds on favorites with Watford to go down, theres no question about it now, this has just confirmed it. Players don't want him, many of them, Auba will down tools, we have no hope.

And to top it all off this guy with a phd in psychology & body language; Dr f***ing idiot

The Break Water wrote:What a load of waffle, just seen his press conference, he was just babbling on with his mouth but his eyes was not telling the same story, I can read body language very well, his mouth is saying it but he has no passion or conviction in his voice, his voice is timid and unsure. His eyes are telling something different. He reminds me of that failure Walcott, talked absolute nonsense after every game, would get beat 6-0 and then come out and say we are so positive and can bounce back from this, just babbled on and on and on while getting worse and worse on the pitch.

I'm not convinced at all, I know there are a lot of thick people out there, but I can read deeper. This is not gonna end well, I want to be wrong but I know I won't be. Shame really.

God bless Jedi, marsbar, Phil, PG and several others who backed him xxx

:clap:
Jase89
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:32 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:When they were first talking about appointing him I didn't want any of the names going around, I didn't want Ancelloti, Mourhino or Arteta.

My concern with Arteta is that this was his first ever job so was a complete gamble, it was a risk I didn't think Arsenal needed to take but at the same time I saw that we weren't attracting managers like Nagglesmann or Simeone because of the way we were offering the job.

I got on board with Arteta from his first Press conference he did for the club and fans, that's before a ball had even been kicked.

In the end of the day it was a gamble, but its paid off and I hope it continues to, true test does come next season mind but we should all want him to succeed.

DiamondGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:““The direction is going to be very clear, and it’s not going to be negotiable”

Yeah have to admit, I like what he said, frank and honest and he didn't gloss over it when asked "Arsenal is known for playing fluent attacking football, are you afraid that identity has recently slipped" .......... Arteta "Yes, I'm afraid so".

That's all I needed to hear.

No BS, as he says the players either perform or fk off.

Ultimately the players have been ruining this club since Wenger, our fault for buying them, some of its the managers faults for wacky ideas or not giving us a clear philosophy but right now the players attitudes fkin stink and we need to route it out even if we have to turn over half the squad to get it done.

One of the best things he said was "We need to create a culture for success" like I said, he's got that from City and he knows we don't, he's going to have to force fk that into this pathetic bunch that's for sure.

I can appreciate that. The problem is those who were so quickly to stick the knife in, not back him and blindly ignore the gradual improvement we saw throughout the season.

Unai Emery absolutely sucked the soul out of the players - the majority of which are sub par - out of them. To do what Arteta did, command respect (many people said that Auba & Ozil would walk all over him cough cough dg cough cough :P) and make everyone in the squad be there on his terms is nothing short of remarkable.

Have their been bumps in the road? absolutely. And there will be some more slip ups throughout the next season as no-one is perfect. But I feel like the last few weeks of the season, beating Liverpool, City and Chelsea in such close proximity of each other, winning the FA Cup means he should get a big leeway from criticism, especially if he's not backed financially in the summer.

If he's not backed and the squad continues to remain the same over the next 2 years, I would expect that he leaves us for a bigger job rather than us deciding his future
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Just a note about Eddie Howe (not that I wanted him here):

He got screwed due to a big money signing not working out; Solanke was bought for £19m (!) and scored 3 in 32. Plus he had Charlie Daniels and David Brooks out for the season very early on.

His fate can happen to any manager who's dependent on 2-3 players bailing out the rest. Last season Auba and Leno won us god knows how many points, while Luiz, Xhaka and Mustafi's blunders cost us several more.

We need a very balanced transfer window, where we get rid of under-performers and bring in players that buy in to the new vision.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:24 pm

theHotHead wrote:
VCC wrote:For me another who was not sold on Arteta at all, but what started to win me over was the ability to look at the players he has and to play a formation and adapt tactics to those players, the playing a back 3 with the wing backs, and playing into chanels behind defences I rate highly. Tells me he knows how to win with what he has and let's remember he has not had a chance to get players he wants yet.
Aw was called the professor I think Arteta has at the very least shown he is worthy to sit in the seat of many great managers past and the future is alot brighter for it.
Sorry I doubted you gaffa

Wenger was no professor VCC, professor suggest a level of intelligence and intellect, Wenger seemingly had neither. Oblivious to our goal keeping issues, blind to our deficiencies, unaware of our soft centre and pathetically poor defending, he was blinded/seduced by FFP when anyone with half a brain knew the money clubs would find a way around it.

No, Arteta has shown in half a season more intellect and intelligence than Wenger showed in 10 years!

I think he was a professor in that he knew a subject very well early on, but stuck to it like glue and resisted any new ideas. Very much like academia.

The test for Arteta will be after he gets the side playing his way, but football always figures out how to counter any tactic. Will he change with the times, be innovative enough to counter the counter?
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:25 pm

aniym wrote:Just a note about Eddie Howe (not that I wanted him here):

He got screwed due to a big money signing not working out; Solanke was bought for £19m (!) and scored 3 in 32. Plus he had Charlie Daniels and David Brooks out for the season very early on.

His fate can happen to any manager who's dependent on 2-3 players bailing out the rest. Last season Auba and Leno won us god knows how many points, while Luiz, Xhaka and Mustafi's blunders cost us several more.

We need a very balanced transfer window, where we get rid of under-performers and bring in players that buy in to the new vision.

Unlike most modern management, all the big money flops were wanted by Howe himself. He is very pally with Michael Edwards - hence the purchases of Solanke, Ibe, Brad Smith etc for inflated prices

I don’t think he’s a Premier League calibre manager
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Sims wrote:
aniym wrote:Just a note about Eddie Howe (not that I wanted him here):

Unlike most modern management, all the big money flops were wanted by Howe himself. He is very pally with Michael Edwards - hence the purchases of Solanke, Ibe, Brad Smith etc for inflated prices

I don’t think he’s a Premier League calibre manager

I didn't know that. Solanke for that much is criminal, he was never even a first team player for Pool. Even we could consider £20m to be a big deal with the state of our finances. Guess he deserved the sack then.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:36 pm

In fairness, hiring Pochettino would have been hilarious. Spurs tears for days.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:15 pm

I'd still have taken poch and if Arteta doesn't do great next season wouldn't rule him out then either. Be happier if Arteta does well obv since he's one of ours but would've been hilarious to do Sol Campbell part II.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk