Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 05, 2021 10:11 pm

Ach wrote:When's the last time we did attract a top manager?

Certainly not in my 30 years as a fan.

Was Graham a top manager?

Rioch, Wenger, Emery and Lolteta weren't.

Exactly. We don't need Klopp or Guardiola or Simeone etc, Ten Hag and Nagelsmann to name 2 who are at smaller clubs than Arsenal
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Meh. Zidane isn't even half the manager Pep is.

P.S. Not saying I wouldn't take him at Arsenal. I'd even take Eddie Howe at this stage.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 05, 2021 10:20 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Mourinho is still a big name, he went to Spurs and is now at Roma, the latter of which is a project. I get what you are saying but what you are doing is saying its elite manager or nothing. I disagree. There are plenty of good managers out there who could do big things at Arsenal

Mourinho was finished 5 years ago at Chelsea. He could only win EL by putting Pogba and Zlatan up against the likes of Ajax, Spartak and Celta Vigo. Predictably left empty-handed at Spurs because he couldn't spend.

Serie A isn't anywhere near as competitive as the PL. Arteta should go there.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 05, 2021 10:27 pm

Angelito wrote:Meh. Zidane isn't even half the manager Pep is.

P.S. Not saying I wouldn't take him at Arsenal. I'd even take Eddie Howe at this stage.

I know what you mean, I'm just not sure Eddie Howe has the authority for a club like AFC is.

Again, I wanted Tuchel out of all the available managers.

I'd take almost anyone now who isn't a has been, really not fond of managers like Rafa or Ancelloti at their stage of careers.

Arsenal needs an offensively balanced manager, Tuchel has Chelsea defending well and attacking well.

We've had too many lopsided managers, Emery is to conservative, his Villarreal let off by shutting up shop way too early when they had is on toast reminded me of why we got rid of him.
Arteta is just a boring mess and he just apes better managers but doesn't know what he's doing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 05, 2021 10:28 pm

Santi wrote:Arteta arrived at Arsenal and had us in a final in a similar amount of matches but nobody rates him either.

Anyway something about Tuchel just not likeable and his football is shit. Done well to make them very solid and not concede but they are more boring to watch than us, can’t argue with results though.

Cuz the situations aren't comparable. FA Cup final is not Champions League final. Hull and Villa can reach the FA Cup final. We couldn't even get past Olympiakos in Europa.

And in retrospect, the FA Cup triumph had more to do with Auba playing out of his skin than anything else. He's been bad this season and we've seen how much of an impact that's had.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Wed May 05, 2021 10:33 pm

aniym wrote:
Santi wrote:Arteta arrived at Arsenal and had us in a final in a similar amount of matches but nobody rates him either.

Anyway something about Tuchel just not likeable and his football is shit. Done well to make them very solid and not concede but they are more boring to watch than us, can’t argue with results though.

Cuz the situations aren't comparable. FA Cup final is not Champions League final. Hull and Villa can reach the FA Cup final. We couldn't even get past Olympiakos in Europa.

And in retrospect, the FA Cup triumph had more to do with Auba playing out of his skin than anything else. He's been bad this season and we've seen how much of an impact that's had.

Is that the Aubameyang who was brought by Arsenal who pay his wages
Or Aubameyang who strolled on off the terraces and turned out luckily to be a bit handy scoring winner’s?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby jayramfootball » Wed May 05, 2021 10:39 pm

aniym wrote:

FA Cup is far better than the CL.
Hull and Vill are far superior to Olympiakos - or Villareal for that matter.
The fact Hull and Villa can make FA Cup finals is precisely why it is the best cup competition in the world.
The CL is just a 'who has the most money' league that for the most part involves exhibition matches where only one team can win.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Wed May 05, 2021 10:50 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:When's the last time we did attract a top manager?

Certainly not in my 30 years as a fan.

Was Graham a top manager?

Rioch, Wenger, Emery and Lolteta weren't.

Exactly. We don't need Klopp or Guardiola or Simeone etc, Ten Hag and Nagelsmann to name 2 who are at smaller clubs than Arsenal

Unfortunately neither of those 2 are an option.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 06, 2021 5:27 am

aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Mourinho is still a big name, he went to Spurs and is now at Roma, the latter of which is a project. I get what you are saying but what you are doing is saying its elite manager or nothing. I disagree. There are plenty of good managers out there who could do big things at Arsenal

Mourinho was finished 5 years ago at Chelsea. He could only win EL by putting Pogba and Zlatan up against the likes of Ajax, Spartak and Celta Vigo. Predictably left empty-handed at Spurs because he couldn't spend.

Serie A isn't anywhere near as competitive as the PL. Arteta should go there.

I agree, but he is still a big name, he is still highly regarded.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 am

Angelito wrote:Meh. Zidane isn't even half the manager Pep is.

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 am

We will never be a force to be reckoned with because of this clown of a manager, teams are rubbing their hands now when they play us because they know we are shite.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Paddy » Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 am

tuchel getting chelsea into a CL final, fa cup final and sitting in top 4

what an achievement

what you see with chelsea is ruthlessness and good decision making. the complete opposite to us.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Goonerred » Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 am

Paddy wrote:tuchel getting chelsea into a CL final, fa cup final and sitting in top 4

what an achievement

what you see with chelsea is ruthlessness and good decision making. the complete opposite to us.

Chelsea is ruthless with it's managers, I wonder why anyone would go there, but I suppose they get a nice salary and a fat pay out if they are fired. A win, win situation.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 am

Goonerred wrote:
Paddy wrote:tuchel getting chelsea into a CL final, fa cup final and sitting in top 4

what an achievement

Chelsea is ruthless with it's managers, I wonder why anyone would go there, but I suppose they get a nice salary and a fat pay out if they are fired. A win, win situation.

Dont get fired if you succeed, the Chelsea version of success is winning things the Arsenal version of success become top four.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerred » Thu May 06, 2021 8:09 am

VCC wrote:
Goonerred wrote:

what an achievement

Dont get fired if you succeed, the Chelsea version of success is winning things the Arsenal version of success become top four.

They do get through a lot of managers. Conte was doing OK I thought, but he went.
Goonerred

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk