Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 am

Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Özim wrote:Talk of senior players questioning Artetas’ methods and feeling he is blaming them and not taking enough responsibility.

About time really, the beginning of the end for him, once he loses the players it’s game over, the sooner it happens the better, we need move on from this very forgettable period under Arteta, he was an average player and is an average manager as well.

Where's your source for this?

Some reliable Internet website probably.

Must be true. At least he hopes it is.

Yeah I mean why would they be anyway, it’s not like we’ve been midtable or below all season and he’s picked players because he likes them and not picked others for some nonsensical reason (like there’s too many young players playing lol) or anything is it?

You say these things as if they're factual.

I guess if you repeat it enough (and you've most certainly done that) you'll start to believe it.

We’re midtable it is factual and it’s been a lousy season, doesn’t usually make for happy players.

No actually you’re right, the players must be ecstatic with how he’s doing and how it’s going, it’s ridiculous to think otherwise, maybe next season we can aim to be in the bottom third and they’ll pop open the champagne!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am

Well, I can't imagine things being great behind the scenes. It would be odd if there wasn't some sort of tension. The real rubbish is this stuff about the players not caring or mentally checking out for the season. I haven't seen that yet.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 am

Exactly, I mean we know pretty much the same happened with Emery and we’re just as bad if not worse, so it’s not a huge jump to think that players might not be sold on his methods.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 am

Phil71 wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Özim wrote:Talk of senior players questioning Artetas’ methods and feeling he is blaming them and not taking enough responsibility.

About time really, the beginning of the end for him, once he loses the players it’s game over, the sooner it happens the better, we need move on from this very forgettable period under Arteta, he was an average player and is an average manager as well.

Yeah I mean why would they be anyway, it’s not like we’ve been midtable or below all season and he’s picked players because he likes them and not picked others for some nonsensical reason (like there’s too many young players playing lol) or anything is it?

I guess if you repeat it enough (and you've most certainly done that) you'll start to believe it.

You remind me of this guy.

And you remind me of this one.

Hahaha I was expecting something like that coming. Cheers to you Phil
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 am

Sometimes it's just a tactical issue and the players run out of answers or lose their nerve under pressure. When Saka went off, I was slightly worried when replaced with Willian. Second half Sheffield were being a bit more aggressive and weren't as sharp with our attacking play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:48 am

Of course players take some blame but it’s a managers job to get the most out of what he has, to set them up correctly, pick the right players, pick the right system and also motivate them.

Some people on here act like that’s the players job, why bother having a manager then, just have someone that picks 11 players, that’s not that hard.

Top managers get more out of the players they have and setup the right system for the personnel they have, they don’t just pick one and rinse and repeat even when it doesn’t suit them.

For me there’s just too much wrong with what Arteta does to pin it on the players, when things went badly wrong for Emery it wasn’t put on the players and yet Arteta has done as badly if not worse and is absolved of responsibility.

I don’t get the love for Arteta to be honest, what has he done to earn so much loyalty, in the end he’s just some former average pro who played for us with no credentials, I don’t see what reason there can be to stick with him when there’s no evidence to show he can perform at this level.

Had he done it at another club you could give him the benefit of the doubt, but all he did was be a number 2 at a club with endless resources under a manager who wins whoever he’s with
And when he did manage a game, the one time Guardiola couldn’t be there, he lost that
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:51 am

If we don't continually moan about Arteta, or we pull people up for posting unsubstantiated stories as fact, that doesn't mean we love him.

Just pointing that out.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:04 am

You certainly seem to support him a lot despite his absolute horror show this season and you’re very quick to jump on any story about him.

Seems to me there are problems in the camp, you can see it from the performances and results, the story to me seems very feasible, especially given we’re nowhere in the league and have one game to save our entire season from collapsing entirely.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:22 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:The route for Arteta is to do what he should have done from day 1. Dump the vast majority of the squad.

Nonsense. Other managers are doing much more with much less than Arteta has Jay!

I disagree.
I think our players are of the quality that matches our league position.
There are only 4 or 5 players good enough for Arsenal.

Definitely agreeing to disagree with you on this one
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:23 am

I support him to a degree and I support the players to a degree as they are what we have at the moment in terms of manager and playing staff.

That doesn't mean I want him to remain as our manager, nor does it mean I want all of the players to stay.

I 'jumped on your story' as you put it, because that's all it is - a story. You have no evidence that it is in any way factual - in much the same way as you have no evidence that lot of the things you post about of him are factual - such as his having 'favourites' or his deliberately trying to ruin players' careers. Yet you post this stuff as fact. Quite a lot. Continuously in fact. To a degree that is already very tiresome. I can only conclude that you have some sort of obsession.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 am

jayramfootball wrote:
swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:The route for Arteta is to do what he should have done from day 1. Dump the vast majority of the squad.

Nonsense. Other managers are doing much more with much less than Arteta has Jay!

I disagree.
I think our players are of the quality that matches our league position.
There are only 4 or 5 players good enough for Arsenal.

You honestly think Leeds, West Ham, Villa, Everton have better squads than us? Seriously?

Yes.
We over rate our players because of emotional attachment to the club.
Our squad is a mid-table squad.
Player ability is not just about technical skill or raw talent, it is also about application and commitment.

Let me give you an example:
Jack Wilshere vs James Milner

Wilshere has / had more talent in his left toenail than Milner, yet Milner is far and away the better footballer.

Some do, many don't. I don't have an emotional attachment to any of the players, more so in this current footballing environment where everything revolves around money.

Wilshere was technically a very good footballer, as Swipey says, miles better than Milner. Milner had the longevity and effectiveness however. Milner is one of the best utility players the Prem has seen, he can come in and do a decent job anywhere !!! I don't think anyone went overboard about Wilshere's ability, we are disappointed that he didn't reach the level he should've.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:34 am

Phil71 wrote:I support him to a degree and I support the players to a degree as they are what we have at the moment in terms of manager and playing staff.

That doesn't mean I want him to remain as our manager, nor does it mean I want all of the players to stay.

I 'jumped on your story' as you put it, because that's all it is - a story. You have no evidence that it is in any way factual - in much the same way as you have no evidence that lot of the things you post about of him are factual - such as his having 'favourites' or his deliberately trying to ruin players' careers. Yet you post this stuff as fact. Quite a lot. Continuously in fact. To a degree that is already very tiresome. I can only conclude that you have some sort of obsession.

What is there to support, some guy dishing out substandard performances and results and alienating some of our best talents?

You say there is no evidence in a lot of the things I say, that’s not true, you’d have to be blind not to see the favouritism (most people do except you), likewise with certain players careers, he makes lame excuses that are quite frankly nonsense (like the one about Martinelli and the 7 young players the other day), I don’t think anyone understands why he cut out Saliba, it’s all very odd and the excuses he gives don’t fit.

I find your blind faith tiresome and I’m sure many other do too but we don’t harp on about it.

Your conclusion is way off the Mark, I just think he’s rubbish, not right for Arsenal and want him out, we’re going backwards with him and I want us to progress.

You seem to want to bury your head in the sand and pretend he’s doing good things despite us languishing in midtable or below all season, did you afford Emery the same luxury? I find this thinking somewhat delusional, it’s been the worse season I can remember and yet you seem reasonably happy with it.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:51 am

Özim wrote:League is done it’s meaningless, we’re midtable cannonfodder and sheff utd are relegated and have got nothing to play for.

Nah I don't agree with this, its definitely not meaningless !! Where we finish is vitally important, who we finish above is too !!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:54 am

swipe right wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

You remind me of this guy.

LOOOOL. Phil is denier extraordinaire ......
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:56 am

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:League is done it’s meaningless, we’re midtable cannonfodder and sheff utd are relegated and have got nothing to play for.

Nah I don't agree with this, its definitely not meaningless !! Where we finish is vitally important, who we finish above is too !!

That’s fair enough each to their own, for me there’s nothing to play for, we won’t be qualifying for Europe and I doubt we’ll finish above Spurs either despite them being poor, besides we can’t string two results together anyway.

El is all that’s left, fail in that and the season is a washout, hard to get any satisfaction from what happens in the league this season now.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk