Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:07 pm

Props to Tets. These 5 wins will matter a lot later in the season; usually we drop points against 'winnable' opposition. This time we've beaten them all so far.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:13 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Too early for everything right now. Many teams are in transition and have injuries. Haaland has started w/a bang but others will figure him out.
Just enjoying the fast start in many many years. That's about it.

I don’t think they will figure Haaland out, some said he’d struggle, he’s scored 9 times already, he’s consistently scored at every level.

Finishers like him just have a knack of appearing in areas where they can score goals, you can’t really stop goalscorers from scoring consistently.

Haaland is just one of those players who will just score goals whenever he goes.

Let’s wait till the end of the season and not forget your logic on assessing players. Remember the argument that because we conceded more last year that the individuals we brought in defensively were no good. So if City score 100+ goals then Haaland is good, otherwise he’s rubbish.
:biggrin:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:13 goals in 5 games and really should have been 20.
The football we are playing may only be matched by City this season so far.
Creativity all over the place and forwards scoring goals.

Arteta is a blooming genius.

"May only be matched......" you have to be kidding?

Go watch City vs CP highlights, their football is far more clinical, passes go where they should and their final third set ups and finishes are vastly superior.

I think we can match them for effort physcially though especially if Partey and Zinch were back in the team, be interesting when we play them, we might have a half chance of beating them tbf.

I think our football is the best in the league right now.
City are more clinical in front of goal, but they do a lot more of the sideways possession stuff. They can be quite boring at times.
Artetaball is exhilarating.

Our football right this second is in the top 3 in the league, but its not better than Cities, you may prefer the pace of our game but lets acknowleddge ......... Arteta has borrowed a lot from Klopp in this seasons approach, but I repeat, I'm not complaining, I'd love for us to mimic Prime Liverpool's system although there are a few twists to Arteta's approach, he's more willing to switch to a 3atb when we're sitting on a lead and he's encouraging inverted Fullbacks, something Klopp wouldn't do.

City though just do everything right and now with Haaland up front they have a finisher who is as clinical as the teams passing, a very dangerous combination, Haaland is looking like he could become a PL great, up their with the best to ever do it in that style of forward.
He is what Arteta wanted last year to play lone CF, thankfully we've given up on that style of play because 3 versatile forwards are easier to find and cheaper than a full in form CF target man of the level we'd need, they are rare and cost a fortune.

We’ve been playing 3 forwards forever.
It’s just we now have Jesus now as well as an extra year of experience for Gabby to reach Saka levels.
That’s the difference between now and a stale Auba/Laca choice up front.

Premier league report has us playing 4231 again by the way tonight. Looked like it to me too. Xhaka and Lakonga deeper than Odegaard who was supporting the forwards with Jesus more advanced.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:25 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Go watch City vs CP highlights, their football is far more clinical, passes go where they should and their final third set ups and finishes are vastly superior.

I think we can match them for effort physcially though especially if Partey and Zinch were back in the team, be interesting when we play them, we might have a half chance of beating them tbf.

City are more clinical in front of goal, but they do a lot more of the sideways possession stuff. They can be quite boring at times.

Our football right this second is in the top 3 in the league, but its not better than Cities, you may prefer the pace of our game but lets acknowleddge ......... Arteta has borrowed a lot from Klopp in this seasons approach, but I repeat, I'm not complaining, I'd love for us to mimic Prime Liverpool's system although there are a few twists to Arteta's approach, he's more willing to switch to a 3atb when we're sitting on a lead and he's encouraging inverted Fullbacks, something Klopp wouldn't do.

City though just do everything right and now with Haaland up front they have a finisher who is as clinical as the teams passing, a very dangerous combination, Haaland is looking like he could become a PL great, up their with the best to ever do it in that style of forward.
He is what Arteta wanted last year to play lone CF, thankfully we've given up on that style of play because 3 versatile forwards are easier to find and cheaper than a full in form CF target man of the level we'd need, they are rare and cost a fortune.

It’s just we now have Jesus now as well as an extra year of experience for Gabby to reach Saka levels.

Last year we played two Wingers and a lone CF up front, this year its two WF's and a ST.

Its not vastly different but different enough to make a difference, Ode and Xhaka go wide if our WF's have cut in so our WF's don't have to hug the touchline as much, this means they can be closer to our ST in attack.

Last year a big problem was that our CF was almost always isolated, we're now able to play a lot more interchangable give and goes around the box and that is due to the now closer proximity our WF's can be to our ST.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:29 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Last year we played two Wingers and a lone CF up front, this year its two WF's and a ST.

Its not vastly different but different enough to make a difference, Ode and Xhaka go wide if our WF's have cut in so our WF's don't have to hug the touchline as much, this means they can be closer to our ST in attack.

Last year a big problem was that our CF was almost always isolated, we're now able to play a lot more interchangable give and goes around the box and that is due to the now closer proximity our WF's can be to our ST.

TBH think you’re reading too much into formations.
It makes far more sense that we’re progressing because of the incredibly dynamic Jesus and Martinelli (as well as others) levelling up.
I don’t believe for a second that either Auba or Lacazette would be performing as Jesus is now if Martinelli and Saka were close to them.
But , whatever, I don’t mind the reason why we look consistently good so far… just enjoying the football.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:00 pm

Its not one reason or the other, its both.

Jesus is better equipped to play the False no9 role than either Laca or Auba, although Auba did do well in Barca's front 3, he isn't a lone CF and neither is Jesus.

Haaland and Isak are the types of forwards suited to playing that way.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:25 am

No complaints from me at the moment about Arteta, 5 wins out of 5, surely nobody has a problem with that stat !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:14 am

theHotHead wrote:No complaints from me at the moment about Arteta, 5 wins out of 5, surely nobody has a problem with that stat !

TBH if we continue on anything like this form, Arteta is just about to deliver the biggest mic drop on his detractors in football management history.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:28 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:No complaints from me at the moment about Arteta, 5 wins out of 5, surely nobody has a problem with that stat !

TBH if we continue on anything like this form, Arteta is just about to deliver the biggest mic drop on his detractors in football management history.

You mean winning the league/being there or thereabouts or finishing top 4 ?

If its the latter we marginally missed out on it last season, achieving it this season won't be something miraculous. Having a shot at winning the title .. yes that absolutely would be miraculous. No sane Arsenal fan expects that though and if someone says they are - based on us beating 5 teams we should be beating - 2 of which are recently promoted - they ought to take a good look at themselves.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:47 am

jayramfootball wrote:

We’ve played pubbers to date. Let’s see how he does against city, Liverpool and even spurs.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:59 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

We’ve played pubbers to date. Let’s see how he does against city, Liverpool and even spurs.

That's the thing. If we consistently beat the 'pubbers' that should be enough for a Top 4 finish. If we're able to beat the likes of Liverpool and City as well, that's title contender stuff. I don't think anyone has said they expect a title run this season. It would be nice but something we'd all expect this season considering last season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:18 pm

We need 2 signings to even have a shot at the title imo and a bit of luck with injuries on top.

City are just so stacked even with the guys they've let go and Haaland is a monster. Let's just keep it up long enough that we have a genuine shot of the top 3 and hopefully above those *** bastards across the road.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:24 pm

We’ve played five teams so far. Four are in the lower half, two in the relegation zone. Bournemouth got hit for nine and lost Parker, Gerard is probably next to go. We are not going to play this level of competition every week. Additionally our squad is razor thin. We struggle to progress play without Partey and there is no substitute for him in sight. You could say the same about our front three. If one of them gets injured there is no one to step in. So we have weaknesses that have yet to be exposed. Stay positive but keep your feet on the ground.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby BexleyGooner » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:52 pm

I’m hoping that when we play better sides who actually try to attack consistently, that will open up more space and opportunities for us. Last night was strange. Looks like a scrappy 2-1 win, but a few inches either way and we’d have had 4 or 5.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:53 pm

swipe right wrote:We’ve played five teams so far. Four are in the lower half, two in the relegation zone. Bournemouth got hit for nine and lost Parker, Gerard is probably next to go. We are not going to play this level of competition every week. Additionally our squad is razor thin. We struggle to progress play without Partey and there is no substitute for him in sight. You could say the same about our front three. If one of them gets injured there is no one to step in. So we have weaknesses that have yet to be exposed. Stay positive but keep your feet on the ground.

City have played 5 teams in the bottom half currently.
We’re 2 points ahead of them.
I don’t see the need to belittle our start to the season. It’s been brilliant.
The need to be cautious on whether we can continue to compete at the top is fair enough, but belittling the start smacks of manufactured reasons to validate being so negative for so long.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk