Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby UFGN » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:53 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
22-0 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I wouldn't class Jesus as world class, he couldn't walk into any team in the world, Saka, Saliba and Rice could.

Odegaard left out :cold2:

Def agree I left out Odegaard.

As for Jesus, he def has WC skills, maybe lacking a touch to be called WC but on any given day he can be, possibly lacks a bit of consistency other than that.......?

Ross Barclay is world class then

Has most of a top set of skills and the rest occasionally
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:07 pm

Yeah you need to be performing consistently at that level to be world class. That was what was holding Saka back for me up to last season, then last season he performed almost every game.
theHotHead
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:19 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I wouldn't class Jesus as world class, he couldn't walk into any team in the world, Saka, Saliba and Rice could.

If that is the definition of world class then it's fairly limiting. Which one of Haaland or Kane is not a world class goalscorer? Because one of them wouldn't walk into the City or Bayern sides.

Every club takes Haaland in a heartbeat, and Kane is absolutely world class and has been for years

They are not playing in the same team though.
I think your definition is narrow.

World class for us IMO...

Jesus, Saka, Martinelli, Rice, Saliba, Odegaard - need to see more of Timber in the PL.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:10 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

If that is the definition of world class then it's fairly limiting. Which one of Haaland or Kane is not a world class goalscorer? Because one of them wouldn't walk into the City or Bayern sides.

Every club takes Haaland in a heartbeat, and Kane is absolutely world class and has been for years

Jesus, Saka, Martinelli, Rice, Saliba, Odegaard - need to see more of Timber in the PL.

Saka, Rice and Saliba are the only ones who would walk into any team. Martinello and Odegard could not get into City or Liverpool's starting 11. Timber is good for a laugh.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:21 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I think the issue with GJ is he can have his off days but on his day he's fantastic.

The one player who's creeping up for me in level is Gabriel Magalhães, a couple of seasons ago he was a rough diamond prone to some mistakes, but he has really smoothed out his game and become consistent, I think he could be knocking on the door soon also, not many CB's better than him in the league right now.

If Gab M was playing for Real Madrid or City, people would be cooing over him the way he's played this season.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:37 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I think the issue with GJ is he can have his off days but on his day he's fantastic.

The one player who's creeping up for me in level is Gabriel Magalhães, a couple of seasons ago he was a rough diamond prone to some mistakes, but he has really smoothed out his game and become consistent, I think he could be knocking on the door soon also, not many CB's better than him in the league right now.

If Gab M was playing for Real Madrid or City, people would be cooing over him the way he's played this season.

I think with Gabriel he's improved by cutting his errors. He's still prone, but far less to the extent he makes no more than the very best. I have seen VDV make howlers, seen the same with Thiago Silva, Diaz etc. Most of the time these are not remembered because they play for other clubs.

In terms of Jesus - he will always have off days - he's a player that puts himself about and is constantly trying difficult things. Sometimes they just won't come off in a game. Again I see the same with many of the very top players. In fact I don't know of a forward - or any player - that is hitting their heights game in game out.

I guess it comes down to definitions - and it's probably different based on the position.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 pm

I still shit up when Gabriel plays at the back. Until I stop worrying I won't see him as even close to world class.
theHotHead
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Losmeister » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:12 am

"creeping up for me in level is Gabriel Magalhães,"

mistakes farther and fewer in between
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:16 pm

This guy is such a sore loser, no credit to the other team just to his.

Just never grows on me, not a fan of him, his management or the way he conducts himself.

I remember hearing last season that he use to speak to Guardiola all the time and stopped last season, odd guy.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby MathyGooner » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:07 am

The Guardiola thing is nonsense if we take Pep’s own words. He stated in his press conference one day ago that he doesn’t need to communicate to Mikel through the media, they talk directly all the time.

This was in response to reporters trying to goad him about saying he won’t follow Mikel’s Newcastle reaction.
MathyGooner
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:39 am

MathyGooner wrote:The Guardiola thing is nonsense if we take Pep’s own words. He stated in his press conference one day ago that he doesn’t need to communicate to Mikel through the media, they talk directly all the time.

This was in response to reporters trying to goad him about saying he won’t follow Mikel’s Newcastle reaction.

It wasn’t communicating through the media, it was something that came up last season where Arteta stopped ringing Guardiola like he use to.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Nuggets » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:10 am

Salibatelli wrote:This guy is such a sore loser, no credit to the other team just to his.

Just never grows on me, not a fan of him, his management or the way he conducts himself.

I remember hearing last season that he use to speak to Guardiola all the time and stopped last season, odd guy.

He has a lot to learn.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby MathyGooner » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:53 am

Salibatelli wrote:
MathyGooner wrote:The Guardiola thing is nonsense if we take Pep’s own words. He stated in his press conference one day ago that he doesn’t need to communicate to Mikel through the media, they talk directly all the time.

It wasn’t communicating through the media, it was something that came up last season where Arteta stopped ringing Guardiola like he use to.

Yes, but I’m saying Pep’s comments debunk the rumour that communication stopped. Literally horses mouth. Don’t read too much into football rumours, they’re often sensationalist bullshit.
MathyGooner
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby MathyGooner » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 am

Nuggets wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:This guy is such a sore loser, no credit to the other team just to his.

He has a lot to learn.

There’s definitely an argument that over celebrating against Luton has cost us Villa game. Maybe not, maybe we lose anyway, but having your manager in the stands for such an important game is a massive handicap.
MathyGooner
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:32 pm

Tight margins at the moment. Pool a point ahead, Villa a point behind, City six points with a game in hand. I still think City has the edge due to experience, Pep and Haaland. But the race should be closer than most recent seasons.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk