Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Santi wrote:City win enough with it, the reason we don't like it is because we have a lot less of the quick passes and the incisive forward passes that they do. Their football can be boring sometimes as well but they use the slow passes to draw the defenders and then pop it round them in quick triangles.

We just aren't good enough to do the key part at the moment so it's boring + luck and individual skill goals.
Fair enough, guess we'll have to wait til next season to see that 'style' develop. I'm still unimpressed so far, it feels like the same thing Wenger tried and failed in his later years. If we're still playing sideways football and are midtable at Christmas I can see fans properly turning on Arteta.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:07 pm

He is trying to play football the players are not capable of. A good manager adapts to the players he has and plays system that brings the best of them. These players are simply not good enough technically to play that type of football
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:55 pm

Bullshit.

Klopp and Guardiola didn't change their approach when they arrived. They came with a clear approach and replaced the players accordingly.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CaptGooner » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:55 pm

gooney wrote:He is trying to play football the players are not capable of. A good manager adapts to the players he has and plays system that brings the best of them. These players are simply not good enough technically to play that type of football

Agreed. And I have very little confidence that we will actually invest in the technical players that will allow us to play this brand of football.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:01 pm

Santi wrote:City win enough with it, the reason we don't like it is because we have a lot less of the quick passes and the incisive forward passes that they do.

LOL.

We do not play the same football as City, we are as about as incisive as a blunt spoon.

Take City and take away all their final end product plus looking haphazard at the back and you have something resembling Arsenal.

Just because you make a few passes doesn't mean you can compare Barcelona.

I agree that Arteta is "trying" to replicate City, but he's trying and miserably failing.

He either needs to demand suitable players or imo, come up with his own original idea which his limited players can actually thrive on ........... City have top draw players, which you need for a smooth possession / passing game to make the most of the openings or to force them.

I remember the players Wenger used to get to fit his possession game, Cazorla, Rosicky, Hleb, Fabregas, Arshavin, Ozil.

These guys would run rings around our current mids in passing / possession quality, fkin Xhaka, Willock, Guendouzi for the love of god, just look at the skill difference.

Imo Arteta is trying to play a certain way but doesn't have the tools and no one at Arsenal at the moment has the eye for the right players.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:06 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Bullshit.

Klopp and Guardiola didn't change their approach when they arrived. They came with a clear approach and replaced the players accordingly.

This is the problem though.

Arteta was bought in to coach, all the execs moved in post Wenger to take the job of buying players, how much say does Arteta have in selection if any?
I swear their buying players based on value / resell value to make a profit because that's all they give a sh*t about.

Emery didn't request Guendouzi, he prob didn't even know who he was.

I do know that Klopp has a big say on selection, you know damn well Klopp is the sort of guy that if you buy him an unwanted player, that player is going to get benched.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:37 pm

We go round and round about the same arguments. Arteta knows certain brand of football ( like Pep or Klopp), he'll be successful if he gets proper players of his choice ( most of whom , currently, are not), otherwise he'll get the boot. But he should get some time to ( the summer and part of next season) prove his worth. Currently, it is all about damage control.
I don't believe in winning somehow or anyhow. I do think there should be a rhyme and reason behind the way we play football. In another few months it'll be clear if Arteta is the man to take us forward or not. Just don't expect dramatic improvement this season. It takes time.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:57 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:City win enough with it, the reason we don't like it is because we have a lot less of the quick passes and the incisive forward passes that they do.

LOL.

We do not play the same football as City, we are as about as incisive as a blunt spoon.

Take City and take away all their final end product plus looking haphazard at the back and you have something resembling Arsenal.

Just because you make a few passes doesn't mean you can compare Barcelona.

I agree that Arteta is "trying" to replicate City, but he's trying and miserably failing.

He either needs to demand suitable players or imo, come up with his own original idea which his limited players can actually thrive on ........... City have top draw players, which you need for a smooth possession / passing game to make the most of the openings or to force them.

I remember the players Wenger used to get to fit his possession game, Cazorla, Rosicky, Hleb, Fabregas, Arshavin, Ozil.

These guys would run rings around our current mids in passing / possession quality, fkin Xhaka, Willock, Guendouzi for the love of god, just look at the skill difference.

Imo Arteta is trying to play a certain way but doesn't have the tools and no one at Arsenal at the moment has the eye for the right players.

I don’t disagree with anything you said because it’s a longer version of what I said in the first place :)

They have perfected it over years, with much better players and an experienced manager. We have the rookie version in every sense. Hence I think the key for Arteta is to find that added dimension to make it his own style and maybe rely less on having all the best players in the world like Pep needs.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:21 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Arteta was bought in to coach, all the execs moved in post Wenger to take the job of buying players, how much say does Arteta have in selection if any?
I swear their buying players based on value / resell value to make a profit because that's all they give a sh*t about.

I do know that Klopp has a big say on selection, you know damn well Klopp is the sort of guy that if you buy him an unwanted player, that player is going to get benched.

Yeah no one knows trult how much or little say Arteta has. But I'd like to think he makes it clear which positions he feels need strengthening and the types of players he would like.

But that's probably part of the reason none of the big name manager's wanted to come to us. How can you build and be accountable for a team unless you're absolutely sure you hold the pen on transfer decisions.

I'm fine with there being some debate with management / scouting team but ultimately the coach needs to have the final say on the big moves. Raul's preference to sign players promoted through his agent network doesn't work - we've seen plenty examples of that - and it needs to stop.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 am

Just watched the Southampton game.

Some posters "No, Arteta is nothing like Emery"

Arteta: Hold my beer ......... 5 at the back.

lol.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:08 am

alexafc12 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Yeah no one knows trult how much or little say Arteta has. But I'd like to think he makes it clear which positions he feels need strengthening and the types of players he would like.

But that's probably part of the reason none of the big name manager's wanted to come to us. How can you build and be accountable for a team unless you're absolutely sure you hold the pen on transfer decisions.

I'm fine with there being some debate with management / scouting team but ultimately the coach needs to have the final say on the big moves. Raul's preference to sign players promoted through his agent network doesn't work - we've seen plenty examples of that - and it needs to stop.

We all want clarity. Emery was against a player that cost 72 million pound coming in. That is scary....imagine a club is breaking its transfer record and the manager has no say in it. Who is making decisions our summer signings arteta, raul or edu?
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm

well you kinda just agreed with him. Klopp and Guardiola changed the players to suit the system they wanted to employ. Arteta will have to do the same
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Think its wait and watch at this stage. Some of the youngsters might evolve.
Tierney had a few good games, Holding decent ( no mistakes), Saka shows lot of promise, even AMN looked better. Niketiah also gives hope and even Willock too. Martinez also looked competent .
Some positive signs amidst doom and gloom.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:31 pm

No no no, Willock, AMN and Holding are not the standard we should be accepting, Willock and AMN will never get to the level of an Arsenal first team footballer.
What we need to do is reset and go back to the standards we expect for Arsenal.

An Arsenal youngster is the likes of Saka (LWB performances) and Martinelli, the underwhelming performances of Willock and AMN should not be accepted.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Arteta is trying to blood in more youth, which is good. He needs to get Willock, Pepe, AMN, Tierney and Nelson up to a higher level than where they are now. Tactically he is Emery mk2, but his real value is going to be in how he develops young players, like he did with Sterling.

If Martinelli and Saka consistently excel and stay fit we won't be able to keep them, like it or not. Even with a contract extension we will sell them by the time they're 22-23.

It'll be exactly what happened with Cesc and Nasri and to a lesser extent, Adebayor. We were broke, big money offers came in, and we sold.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk