Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Goonerred » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:41 pm

Reiss wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerred wrote:If and I mean if, Arteta is to get a new contract it should only be if he gets us into the top 4.

If they offer him a new deal, I hope that it's being offered with Top 4 as the expectation and not more of the same. With KSE, we have seen them tear up a newly signed contract. They did it with the former Ram's coach and did with Wenger.

I'm not sure if the article is true tbh.

It's funny how it's conveniently come out at a time when we've been just knocked out of all cup competitions. Journo's know that it will lead to a fans backlash and uproar.

They love clicks and an Arsenal uproar gives them that.

Every newspaper I looked at was carrying the story.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:51 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Well deserved new contract for Arteta’ if he gets it.
He’s helped f turn things around at the club.

Rewarding failure how the club has reduced standards, I think it's all bollocks its the clown's agent trying to drum up support just in case we miss out on Europe again. Still it keeps the fan boys happy.

He's moved us up from 12th when he took over to being in a realistic fight for Champions League qualification - all in 2 years.
Add to that he's come in as a rookie manager and has quickly rebuilt the squad with very good young players, whilst dramatically improving the attitude of the players and the culture around the club.
Seems not too bad and I can see why other clubs would want him.

Where have we finished in the last two seasons?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:51 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:Arteta would do well at City. With the best squad in the country and endless resources to pad it further, City is an ideal environment for a manager. What you want is what you get, which means you'll be positioned to win the league every year. If Arteta goes there, I fully expect him to win the title.

That describes a chequebook manager.

Also ..........

Its not that simple, I doubt the players at City who are used to creative freedom would enjoy playing under a rigid micro manager like Arteta telling them where to run all the time and who to pass to.

KDB and co wouldn't put up with that for long.

Arteta is not Pep, he's way more defensive and rigid, Pep is offensive and encourages skill based play.

Pep is also strict, but he's only strict with standards and player professionalism, he's not strict with micro managing players on the pitch, he sets out the formation then lets them do their thing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:22 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:Arteta would do well at City. With the best squad in the country and endless resources to pad it further, City is an ideal environment for a manager. What you want is what you get, which means you'll be positioned to win the league every year. If Arteta goes there, I fully expect him to win the title.

That describes a chequebook manager.

Arteta is a bit of a chequebook manager let’s face it, if there’s a problem buy someone, he’s shown himself unable to work on and improve players that he inherits, instead he just ruthlessly culls them.

I don’t think he do well at City, the only game he took charge there he lost, yes they would win games but he’s no Guardiola.

I hope for us City do this, but they’d be foolish to, look at the lack of progress despite spending a fortune with us.

We were 5th the season before he arrived, we ended up 8th (although he won the FA cup), then we were 8th with no trophies and thus no Europe, now we’re out of all competitions by January and 4th place is touch and go and we have a very hard end of the season.

Compare that to Klopp at Liverpool, the progress was clear and he won the CL in his 2nd full season (2 1/2 seasons into his reign), not only that but he turned them into a side who play amazing football, what we’re seeing at Arsenal is not progress.

If you can’t get 4th with no Europe, no cup competitions from January having spent near enough 200+ million since you arrived and with other teams stuttering then you really aren’t up to it.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:26 pm

By the way ..............

We only have two games in February 9th and the 19th.

After Burnely its Wolves and Brentford and that's it till March.

Chelsea and Liverpool who we were due to play cant play us because of cup games they're in.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:03 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:By the way ..............

We only have two games in February 9th and the 19th.

After Burnely its Wolves and Brentford and that's it till March.

Chelsea and Liverpool who we were due to play cant play us because of cup games they're in.

Yeah - saw that, but the Chelsea and Liverpool games might be rearranged for another date in Feb....don't think they have been confirmed yet?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:35 pm

Reiss wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Goonerred wrote:If and I mean if, Arteta is to get a new contract it should only be if he gets us into the top 4.

If they offer him a new deal, I hope that it's being offered with Top 4 as the expectation and not more of the same. With KSE, we have seen them tear up a newly signed contract. They did it with the former Ram's coach and did with Wenger.

I'm not sure if the article is true tbh.

It's funny how it's conveniently come out at a time when we've been just knocked out of all cup competitions. Journo's know that it will lead to a fans backlash and uproar.

They love clicks and an Arsenal uproar gives them that.

It's probably guesswork from the media but if we're being realistic, KSE are probably looking at a new contract for him. It's coming up to that point and their actions so far suggest they 'trust the process'. They seem to have accepted a slower approach to rebuilding and may all depend on where they feel we should be now and what expectations they have if Arteta gets a new contract.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby KG3 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:17 pm

A lot of this squad problems would be fixed with a better manager without agendas against certain players, half of the players we have on loan are better than certain players in our current squad.

Niles > Cedric/Chambers
Saliba > White/Holding/Mari/Chambers
Mavropanos > Holding/Mari/Chambers
Guendouzi > Lokanga

Then there’s the fact that Arteta hasn’t managed to improve one player since he started here, they may be playing well as individuals but they’re still they same level they were when Emery left.

Look at the difference Klopp made with Henderson, Firminho, Milner,

Ancelotti turned DCL from someone who was worse than Nketiah into one of the best goal scorers in the bpl

Tuchel with Rudiger, Christensen and Jorginho

Pep with Sterling, KDB and Cancelo

I can go on for a while but you get my point a world class manager, brings out another level in players and maximises there ability’s.

Someone like Martinelli would be a different animal under a manager like klopp, a similar sort of difference like he’s already done with attackers Mane, Salah and Jota.

Until we get a world class manager most of our squad are never going to reach the levels they should.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 am

KG3 wrote:A lot of this squad problems would be fixed with a better manager without agendas against certain players, half of the players we have on loan are better than certain players in our current squad.

Niles > Cedric/Chambers
Guendouzi > Lokanga

Then there’s the fact that Arteta hasn’t managed to improve one player since he started here, they may be playing well as individuals but they’re still they same level they were when Emery left.

Ancelotti turned DCL from someone who was worse than Nketiah into one of the best goal scorers in the bpl

I can go on for a while but you get my point a world class manager, brings out another level in players and maximises there ability’s.

Someone like Martinelli would be a different animal under a manager like klopp, a similar sort of difference like he’s already done with attackers Mane, Salah and Jota.

Until we get a world class manager most of our squad are never going to reach the levels they should.

This :clap:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:30 am

KG3 wrote:A lot of this squad problems would be fixed with a better manager without agendas against certain players, half of the players we have on loan are better than certain players in our current squad.

Niles > Cedric/Chambers
Guendouzi > Lokanga

Brilliant summing up of our sad situation employing a cone-stacker for a manager :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nuggets

Postby LMAO » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:45 am

LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Rockape » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:35 am

A bit harsh, as both Saka and ESR are playing better and more consistently, as well as the team playing much more for each other than earlier in the season. Its obviously disappointing to see our progress stall recently, but those stupid sending offs haven't helped and frankly, we were all a bit shocked at reaching 4th place so quickly anyway! :dontknow:

We need to regroup and go again.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:47 am

Saka was already this good under Emery. ESR was this good from his first games under Arteta, in the EL, he was scoring goals. Arteta has not turned a shit player into a decent player or a decent player into an amazing player.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:26 pm

theHotHead wrote:Saka was already this good under Emery. ESR was this good from his first games under Arteta, in the EL, he was scoring goals. Arteta has not turned a shit player into a decent player or a decent player into an amazing player.

That's absolute rubbish.
ESR is way way ahead of where he was and Saka is significantly further ahead.
For Saka, his first touch and ability to hold off defenders is light years ahead of where he was.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:49 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Saka was already this good under Emery. ESR was this good from his first games under Arteta, in the EL, he was scoring goals. Arteta has not turned a shit player into a decent player or a decent player into an amazing player.

That's absolute rubbish.
ESR is way way ahead of where he was and Saka is significantly further ahead.
For Saka, his first touch and ability to hold off defenders is light years ahead of where he was.

........... nothing to do with the fact that they're just older and more experienced now then?

Every young player will get better as they age, that's just natural.

Whether their form is anything to do with Arteta is highly suspect considering Arteta isn't exactly known for his attacking tactics, he's good at defensive and deep CM prep sure, but attacking? hmmm, don't think so.

I remember his answer when we lost to Spurs and he was asked about our failed attacks and his answer famously was .......... "If we keep crossing the ball, the numbers should add up to a goal but I don't know why its not".

He was bantered for weeks for that response.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk