Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Arteta the Don

If you disagree:

Don't care, didn't ask.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ag6789 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:49 pm

The team seems more compact, hunting in packs while defending , but still old bad habits crop up. Lack of awareness. And losing the plot when pressed upfield. Will take time to set a pattern, I guess.
More worrying thing is the loss of form of Laca. We need him to score the extra goal to take us over the line. Auba alone cannot do it, and Pepe is a work in progress in PL.
I think we should buy a CM without delay. Current deep midfielders aren't good enough for the long run.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Too soon for the one day closer to the end for Arteta reign post?

He's been woeful so far bar man utd. Pretty much how we all expected it to be.

But it is what it is. With auba out for 3 games, wouldn't be surprised if we are out of the cup and closer to relegation places. He's the only one who scores.

New players needed
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Godlop » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm glad the Arteta appointment revealed who on this forum understands football and who doesn't
If you don't see the massive improvements Arteta has already bought to this club despite a huge amount of injuries and inheriting a squad that lacks fitness, believe and quality you are one dumb human.

Today was a poor performance and there will be more of this later in the season.
Learn to deal with it and trust the process.
You should aim your unhappiness at the board who once again seem to refuse to back our manager properly.

Anyway if you don't support Arteta please do the rest of us a favour and f**k off.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:37 pm

We look better under Arteta than we ever did under Emery and the man has been in charge for 2 minutes!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Godlop wrote:I'm glad the Arteta appointment revealed who on this forum understands football and who doesn't
If you don't see the massive improvements Arteta has already bought to this club despite a huge amount of injuries and inheriting a squad that lacks fitness, believe and quality you are one dumb human.

Today was a poor performance and there will be more of this later in the season.
You should aim your unhappiness at the board who once again seem to refuse to back our manager properly.

Anyway if you don't support Arteta please do the rest of us a favour and f**k off.
Name me three 'massive' improvements.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:01 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Godlop wrote:I'm glad the Arteta appointment revealed who on this forum understands football and who doesn't

Name me three 'massive' improvements.
Mikel has great hair

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:28 pm

Arteta isn't a miracle worker, which means he's unfortunately not going to succeed at Arsenal. Considering our two top strikers are both set to leave in the summer and that we're in worse financial shape than ever since moving to the Emirates, our squad will be in bad shape very soon, and the much-needed overhaul will never happen.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Jack The Ripper » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 pm

The "new manager bounce" that every team in world football gets usually lasts about 5 or 6 games, so Arteta has only got 1 more match before its over. Arteta has had nowhere near the impact that most have like Nigel Pearson for example, however we are stuck with it for now.. so we just need to accept what we are. I don't have any expectations anymore.

Football is becoming dead to everyone, its full of robotic athletes, and the players with actual footballing skill are dying out of the game and being replaced by the robotic athletes. VAR has ruined football so much, its taken all the fun out of the game... sad times, I barely watch these days, I tune in for only Arsenal games but we only play for 38 minutes roughly.. so find myself falling asleep after 65 minutes or so.

I'm drifting away from the sport and its only a good thing for me.. my life is taking me in a different direction. Football was fun once but most of the life has been sucked out of it. I see the majority of the youth players are just athlete types, but without any actual skill or talent level or brain. Its a shame really as it was a good sport once upon a time.

Liverpool have 11 games to go to beat our invincibles record and I'm sad to say they could do it, that will be the final nail in the coffin for us, the only thing we live off and cum for will be gone... its basically the only thing our club has left. Once thats gones then we are no identity left.. I hope Liverpool get beat but can't see it.. 11 games will go quickly.

Our stadium is not Arsenal, it not our home, its been a total disaster and nightmare.. zero prem titles since we moved too Emirates, which is a place over 3,000 miles away in the Gulf, its nothing to do with Highbury or London, Highbury is our home, not a arab emirates. I could cry while typing this but I am so lack of energy from it all that I barely feel I thing.
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:57 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Name me three 'massive' improvements.

1. The formation is clear, team looks like they have a gameplan, and they're much more compact. The pressing has been phenomenal.

2. We play in the opponents half and dictate the tempo of the game. We actually create chances. Today wasn't great though, in that regard, but baby steps.

3. xG is steadily improving under Arteta and despite not getting the win today, it suggests we created better chances and "deserved" the win. Better xG is generally a very good sign that team performance is improving and that better results are coming.

For example, even when we were winning under Emery, our xG stats suggested our results were outperforming our actual team performance (Auba and Laca carried us by being clinical) and to no ones surprise we eventually collapsed in spectacular fashion.

Bonus: He isn't playing Torreira as an attacking midfielder.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Been impressed but let's be real we need 6 top players, lb, rb, cb, dm, am, lw.

A manager needs the tools no matter how good he is.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Wtf is xG?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Brendan Rodgers finished 14/15 in 6th place. Next season, he got sacked and Liverpool appointed Klopp after 8 league games 3 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses.

After 30 league games in Klopp's first season, what position did Liverpool finish the season in?

They finished 8th.

Jurgen Klopp finished his debut season 2 positions lower than his predecessor.

Can this cancerous "new manager bounce" concept die out already. Just because a new manager brings positive energy to the club, doesn't mean he can perform miracles and fix all systemic problems in his first 3 weeks.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby VCC » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Was never going to be a silver bullet fix, started fantastic today but run out of steam 3/4 way through first half, once the players are fit enough for the intensity of the PL we will build more points
And I cant believe we are not fit enough
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Wtf is xG?

Taken from: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... er-league/
What are “expected goals” (xG)?

To work out a team's “expected goals” (xG) for a match, every shot must be analysed and given an "Expected goal value" (EGV).

EGV is the probability that any given shot will end up as a goal.

EGV is based on a number of factors, such as where the shot was taken from, the proximity of defenders, the nature of the attack (i.e a direct free-kick or a penalty). The EGV of a shot assumes it is being taken by someone of average ability in the league, so it expects for instance that a shot from 10 yards out plum in front of goal with no defenders nearby has a high chance of ending up as a goal.

From an analysis of every shot's EGV in a match, an "expected goals" (xG) figure can be placed on each team from that match. If a team has a higher xG figure than actual goals scored, it will broadly be because of wasteful finishing or good goalkeeping, or both. Likewise if a team is scoring more than its xG then it could be down to moments of individual brilliance from an attacker or say a goalkeeping error.

Why is xG useful?

xG's value is that it gives an indication of whether a team's results are based on sustainable factors like the consistent creation or denial of chances, or whether it is down to less sustainable factors like freakishly high chance conversion or sensational goalkeeping.

It also gives a far more reliable picture as to us the results of individual matches reflected the pattern of play. Take Germany's 7-1 win against Brazil in the 2014 World Cup for instance, in which Brazil actually had more shots and possession, but were way down on xG compared to their opponents.

xG can be thought of as effectively evaluating "chances", whereas "shots on goal" does not discriminate between a 35-yard sighter and a missed open goal from close range.

By analysing every shot from last season and the season before, the STATS team have been able to identify a number of patterns, which we can use to inform how this season might pan out.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk