Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:56 pm

Tuchel working wonders with Chelsea. Just beat high flying Atletico.

We are going out more likely than not to benfica ffs
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 pm

Ach wrote:Tuchel working wonders with Chelsea. Just beat high flying Atletico.

I said Tuchel would do well at Chelsea, all the nay sayers.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:42 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Doing well at Chelsea isn’t enough to keep you in the job
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:37 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:Down to 11th

How is he still in the job ffs

Pro.....gress.

From 15th, aye, but thats like being happy that being punched in the face only broke your jaw but didn't knock any teeth out.

I'm being sarcastic, captain obvious.

Ok you got me.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:39 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

I thought Tuchel would flop like Tom Daley, but he is proving me wrong. They dominated Athletico, couldn't believe I was watching Athletico actually, they were poor, Chelsea looked pretty decent.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:48 am

It's way too early for this Tuchel stuff.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:29 am

It is the new manager bounce and he'll be sacked eventually by Chelsea but had he come here, he'd have got the bounce and he knows he'd be given time.

Arteta never got that new manager bounce and tbh I'm still waiting for it
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 am

Power n Glory wrote:It's way too early for this Tuchel stuff.

Agreed, he’s only just started, let’s see how it’s going in a year.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:09 pm

True, I hope he bombs big time, I don't rate him at all.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:33 pm

aniym wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:If it were Henry, Vieria or Ljunberg in charge with this record, would anyone be convinced they needed more time and backing? I don’t see it.

Manager's popularity and prestige among the media is definitely a factor here. Arteta is still widely considered a prodigy, and his lack of experience is rarely questioned. In fact, it's usually portrayed as an asset, as if he's the 'modern manager' that a stodgy club like Arsenal need.

The reality is that he plays incredibly cautious, defensive football 60% of the time, and still concedes early goals frequently.

Arsenal managers records of conceding early goals ( first 15mins)
Arteta 7 times in 65 games( every 9.2 games)
Ljungberg 2 times in 6 games ( every 3 games)
Emery 12 times in 78 games ( every 6.5 games)
Wenger 151 times in 1226 games (every 8.1 games)
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:02 pm

Arsenal 3/4
Draw 3-1
Benfica 10/3
High flying atletico but a minute later simeone had to go?
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:19 pm

Whenever Chelsea have hired a world class or top quality coach, they have gone on to win things. Jose with those multiple league titles; Ancelotti with the double; Conte with the League and FA Cup, they have been winners. Sarri, who might not be at those levels, won the EL with them. Benitez also won the EL.

Tuchel is a top quality manager today. Not world class, perhaps, but he is a great tactician.

When Arsenal fans talk about not wanting to follow Chelsea's route of chopping and changing managers, they fail to recognize that consistency and continuation comes from a certain level. At Arsenal, it was Wenger. At Chelsea, it's a hands-on owner and their DoF.

City have had four managers since the take-over but their consistency and vision comes from their DoF.

Unlike those clubs, we have gone from Wenger to Gazidis to Raul to Edu/Mikel. There's no continuation whatsoever.

We have a trifecta of rookies running Arsenal: Arteta as our manager, Edu as the DoF/TD, and Josh Kroenke as the de facto overseer of Arsenal.

I'm digressing.

Tuchel is a proven manager. Chelsea fans don't have to worry about word salads or PR. If Tuchel doesn't cut it, he will be sacked. Meanwhile, at Arsenal, we seem to want a Wenger-esque figure—minus the authority—yet, have handed the keys of our future to three inexperienced men.

It hasn't worked, thus far.

Any manager is replaceable. We simply can't make that manager our project over the club's future.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Angelito wrote:

Whenever Chelsea have hired a world class or top quality coach, they have gone on to win things. Jose with those multiple league titles; Ancelotti with the double; Conte with the League and FA Cup, they have been winners. Sarri, who might not be at those levels, won the EL with them. Benitez also won the EL.

Tuchel is a top quality manager today. Not world class, perhaps, but he is a great tactician.

When Arsenal fans talk about not wanting to follow Chelsea's route of chopping and changing managers, they fail to recognize that consistency and continuation comes from a certain level. At Arsenal, it was Wenger. At Chelsea, it's a hands-on owner and their DoF.

City have had four managers since the take-over but their consistency and vision comes from their DoF.

Unlike those clubs, we have gone from Wenger to Gazidis to Raul to Edu/Mikel. There's no continuation whatsoever.

We have a trifecta of rookies running Arsenal: Arteta as our manager, Edu as the DoF/TD, and Josh Kroenke as the de facto overseer of Arsenal.

I'm digressing.

Tuchel is a proven manager. Chelsea fans don't have to worry about word salads or PR. If Tuchel doesn't cut it, he will be sacked. Meanwhile, at Arsenal, we seem to want a Wenger-esque figure—minus the authority—yet, have handed the keys of our future to three inexperienced men.

Any manager is replaceable. We simply can't make that manager our project over the club's future.

Agree with most of that but it's still too early to declare Tuchel a success after 8 games. I'm not questioning his ability as a coach or potential at Chelsea. I'd have preferred we had taken him on and sacked Arteta but that didn't happen. But it just seems insane to declare anything after such a short period.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:

I'm digressing.

Agree with most of that but it's still too early to declare Tuchel a success after 8 games. I'm not questioning his ability as a coach or potential at Chelsea. I'd have preferred we had taken him on and sacked Arteta but that didn't happen. But it just seems insane to declare anything after such a short period.

Oh definitely.

My point is—even if Tuchel wins all the remaining games as Chelsea coach, but fails to meet their objectives, he will be sacked.

Meanwhile, at Arsenal, that doesn't apply. We will still hear fans talking about how we have the worst squad in the Prem—hyperbole of course—and how Arteta is doing a good job with such an abysmal squad.

I don't blame Arteta.

We've made him the project as opposed to Arsenal FC. It's not really his fault.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:07 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:

I'm digressing.

Oh definitely.

My point is—even if Tuchel wins all the remaining games as Chelsea coach, but fails to meet their objectives, he will be sacked.

Meanwhile, at Arsenal, that doesn't apply. We will still hear fans talking about how we have the worst squad in the Prem—hyperbole of course—and how Arteta is doing a good job with such an abysmal squad.

I don't blame Arteta.

We've made him the project as opposed to Arsenal FC. It's not really his fault.

If there is anything positive that can come out of Covid, I hope it's a change in ownership. This hands off approach from KSE is fine if we've got great leader in top positions around the club but that's not the case. It's like KSE ars asleep at the wheel. It's muddled strategy because we've wasted a lot of money in the transfer market and we're shipping off some of our brightest youth prospects.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk