Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby TedLasso » Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:38 pm

MathyGooner wrote:
alexis2015finalgoal wrote:
MathyGooner wrote:The fact the women's game is constantly shoved in your face irritates me. The same goes for how sports sites intermix it with the men's game intentionally. The latter seems to have calmed down a bit recently but for awhile it was ridiculous, I had to sieve through women's football to see the stories I actually cared about.

Most EPL fans don't watch La Liga, BL or Ligue 1, so why would we watch women's football that is vastly inferior to any of those? If I had more time to watch football I'd be watching La Liga.


Football is football. I've never seen why the sex who play it matters. Arsenal has built women's football in this country and it's why Alex Scott, Carney, and Kelly Smith amongst others are big names now. It would be odd if we don't big it up giventhe siucces we've had.

I saw the women's NLD this season and i enjoyed it. the stadium was nearly full and i always enjoy battering that lot whether the XY or XX version.


Good football is good football. Shit football is shit football. Women's football is shit at this point in time, hence why sex matters. I have no interest in it nor any interest in having it shoved down my throat because of modern day woke bullshit.


"Shoved down my throat" = I had to see a social media post about it

Why are you all so soft? What happened to live and let live?
User avatar
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:53 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby 22-0 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:40 pm

If its so good let them compete with the men ;)
User avatar
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6508
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby TedLasso » Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:44 pm

22-0 wrote:If its so good let them compete with the men ;)


I guess I just don't see an issue with the club promoting the women's team when it's just another avenue to bring more fans and families to the club. My niece is a huge Emily Fox fan and loves going to the women's games because it's something she can connect to. Would it be so bad to just let them have their fun without being a gigantic loser?
User avatar
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:53 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Ach » Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:16 pm

Women's football is devoid of quality and is horrendous to watch. So I don't watch it. Same with lower league football.

Shit to watch but won't be going anywhere.

The problem is all female pundits are terrible. Not one is there for football knowledge but to tick a box.
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 37250
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:09 pm

Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
VCC wrote:Like it or not Arteta is the man in charge.
His position however has changed, he has proven he can foot it at the top, that now has to be put aside hat argument is over he can do the job.



It's all about delivering silverware now.
And when the owners expect that to be delivered.
Imo he has two seasons to deliver that's crystal balling from the Kronke perspective

This, he has proven he deserves to be in the position and regardless of the alleged choking he has proved he can fight against the very best.

Now he needs trophies

Its no good fighting against the best when winning FA, he needs to win something to prove himself, otherwise it's all Jackanory. He needs to win something to get rid of his mantle as the nearly man.

Law of Averages bro, you have to be there or thereabouts to be able to win it. At some point we will win it, it stands to reason.
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21421
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:15 pm

TedLasso wrote:
22-0 wrote:If its so good let them compete with the men ;)


I guess I just don't see an issue with the club promoting the women's team when it's just another avenue to bring more fans and families to the club. My niece is a huge Emily Fox fan and loves going to the women's games because it's something she can connect to. Would it be so bad to just let them have their fun without being a gigantic loser?

Its being shoved down our throats because you can't watch a football show without seeing a female presenter !!! Tune in to ANY male sport and you always see a female presenter, hell the boxing is almost entirely presented by women now.

I don't get it and I don't like it. That said, one or two presenters are very good, I'm very impressed with them, so they don't irk me. Its the shit ones that I have a problem with and they far outnumber the good ones.

As for women's football, I wouldn't watch it on my own accord, its just not good enough. So like Ach who doesn't watch lower league footie, neither do I, so there is no chance I will watch women's football that is worse. About the club pushing/promoting the women's team, thats cool, just don't make me have to watch stuff I don't want to watch.
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21421
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:26 pm

I guess it is like Women's tennis and cricket. Initially people get irritated but later on gets used to it.
Same with commentators. Initially you think what's she doing here, but after a while it becomes the norm ,and you do begin to appreciate some of their insights and wisdom. There are smart women too!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 5402
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby TedLasso » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:29 pm

Ach wrote:Women's football is devoid of quality and is horrendous to watch. So I don't watch it. Same with lower league football.

Shit to watch but won't be going anywhere.

The problem is all female pundits are terrible. Not one is there for football knowledge but to tick a box.


Embarrassing although unsurprising
User avatar
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:53 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby TedLasso » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:31 pm

theHotHead wrote:
TedLasso wrote:
22-0 wrote:If its so good let them compete with the men ;)


I guess I just don't see an issue with the club promoting the women's team when it's just another avenue to bring more fans and families to the club. My niece is a huge Emily Fox fan and loves going to the women's games because it's something she can connect to. Would it be so bad to just let them have their fun without being a gigantic loser?

Its being shoved down our throats because you can't watch a football show without seeing a female presenter !!! Tune in to ANY male sport and you always see a female presenter, hell the boxing is almost entirely presented by women now.

I don't get it and I don't like it. That said, one or two presenters are very good, I'm very impressed with them, so they don't irk me. Its the shit ones that I have a problem with and they far outnumber the good ones.

As for women's football, I wouldn't watch it on my own accord, its just not good enough. So like Ach who doesn't watch lower league footie, neither do I, so there is no chance I will watch women's football that is worse. About the club pushing/promoting the women's team, thats cool, just don't make me have to watch stuff I don't want to watch.


Oh heaven's to betsy, a woman talking football. Next thing you know, they'll be able to vote or walk in the streets among us...like equals.

Soft.
User avatar
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:53 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:18 pm

Ted - why do I want to hear some women talking boring regurjitated football cliches ?? I cannot stand hearing the king of the cliche - Jamie Redknapp - talk about football, but at least he was a top player in the men's game. Why do I want to hear a woman talk bollox who at best had the ability of a youth team footballer in a semi pro club ?!!! You may as well get any old fool on to be a pundit, I don't want to hear what they have to say !!!

You are talking about equality, I watch women's golf, tennis, MMA because they at least look like/are comparable to the men's games, they are better than me and I don't find it galling to watch, have no problem with the female commentators either, they know the women's game so it makes sense for them to be the experts.

Thinking about it, I watch female alpine sports and snowboarding, female skiers are definitely on a par with the men (not as fast but can do the same shit), watching the likes of Sofia Goggia ripping up pistes is incredible. The snowboarders of course cannot match the men when it comes to jumps and spins but the best of the women are certainly fun to watch.
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21421
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby MathyGooner » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:48 pm

TedLasso wrote:
MathyGooner wrote:
alexis2015finalgoal wrote:
MathyGooner wrote:The fact the women's game is constantly shoved in your face irritates me. The same goes for how sports sites intermix it with the men's game intentionally. The latter seems to have calmed down a bit recently but for awhile it was ridiculous, I had to sieve through women's football to see the stories I actually cared about.

Most EPL fans don't watch La Liga, BL or Ligue 1, so why would we watch women's football that is vastly inferior to any of those? If I had more time to watch football I'd be watching La Liga.


Football is football. I've never seen why the sex who play it matters. Arsenal has built women's football in this country and it's why Alex Scott, Carney, and Kelly Smith amongst others are big names now. It would be odd if we don't big it up giventhe siucces we've had.

I saw the women's NLD this season and i enjoyed it. the stadium was nearly full and i always enjoy battering that lot whether the XY or XX version.


Good football is good football. Shit football is shit football. Women's football is shit at this point in time, hence why sex matters. I have no interest in it nor any interest in having it shoved down my throat because of modern day woke bullshit.


"Shoved down my throat" = I had to see a social media post about it

Why are you all so soft? What happened to live and let live?


I don't use social media so no. Shoved down my throat is intentionally intermixing it with the men's game's news stories and not providing a filter. Contrast that with the fact you can filter on Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga etc. so I can select the league or cup I'm interested in but apparently not the sport lol. Clearly by design.

The promotion of the sport has already happened, at this point it's flogging a dead horse. Now, it's like that annoying advert that plays more than once in a single advertisement break. I'm aware that it exists. If I want to read about it, I will read about it. If I want to watch it, I will watch it.

It also irritates me that it gets more attention than lower league men's football in spite being far newer and far inferior. You talk about equality but equality is meritocratic and that is far from it.
MathyGooner
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:45 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:Ted - why do I want to hear some women talking boring regurjitated football cliches ?? I cannot stand hearing the king of the cliche - Jamie Redknapp - talk about football, but at least he was a top player in the men's game. Why do I want to hear a woman talk bollox who at best had the ability of a youth team footballer in a semi pro club ?!!! You may as well get any old fool on to be a pundit, I don't want to hear what they have to say !!!

You are talking about equality, I watch women's golf, tennis, MMA because they at least look like/are comparable to the men's games, they are better than me and I don't find it galling to watch, have no problem with the female commentators either, they know the women's game so it makes sense for them to be the experts.

Thinking about it, I watch female alpine sports and snowboarding, female skiers are definitely on a par with the men (not as fast but can do the same shit), watching the likes of Sofia Goggia ripping up pistes is incredible. The snowboarders of course cannot match the men when it comes to jumps and spins but the best of the women are certainly fun to watch.



No woman alive is qualified to be a pundit on mens football at the elite level. It's not about sex, male of female, it's about qualifications.
...and when they commentate. God awful. Have to turn the sound down.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021
 
Posts: 28270
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby UFGN » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:Ted - why do I want to hear some women talking boring regurjitated football cliches ?? I cannot stand hearing the king of the cliche - Jamie Redknapp - talk about football, but at least he was a top player in the men's game. Why do I want to hear a woman talk bollox who at best had the ability of a youth team footballer in a semi pro club ?!!! You may as well get any old fool on to be a pundit, I don't want to hear what they have to say !!!

You are talking about equality, I watch women's golf, tennis, MMA because they at least look like/are comparable to the men's games, they are better than me and I don't find it galling to watch, have no problem with the female commentators either, they know the women's game so it makes sense for them to be the experts.

Thinking about it, I watch female alpine sports and snowboarding, female skiers are definitely on a par with the men (not as fast but can do the same shit), watching the likes of Sofia Goggia ripping up pistes is incredible. The snowboarders of course cannot match the men when it comes to jumps and spins but the best of the women are certainly fun to watch.


Jonathan Pierce is the only great commentator now.

And I don't pay attention to many pundits. Although I suppose Garry Neville is worth listening to usually
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

Image
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
 
Posts: 23818
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:54 am

I'm pretty sure nobody complains when they watch athletics and women are commentating, I know I don't, they know what they are talking about,

Its athletics, its not men's athletics and women's athletics, it IS men's football and women's football.
User avatar
theHotHead
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 21421
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:52 am

So, whats this got to do with Arteta? :biggrin:
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 28129
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: theHotHead and 3 guests