Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:47 pm

It's been an awful start by Arteta.
Maybe we're slightly more organised, but he's failing miserably to understand he needs a 90% turnover of players.
It looks like he thinks teh current squad is good enough - which makes him either an idiot, or just here for the money and doesn't want to rock the boat.
Unfortunately for him - and us - the Arsenal boat has needed sinking, not just rocking, for a decade.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Reminder that Pep barely finished in top 4 in his first season (only 3 points above Arsenal that was in 5th) and then demolished the league and broke the points record in the following season.

It takes a very long time to really implement this brand of football, yet we're already playing much better. I'd rather we won today, but i'm not fussed about results at all. It's all about implementing the style.

I'm very confident we will be very competitive next season as long as something doesn't go terribly wrong in the recruitments department.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby The Break Water » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:01 pm

Well thats 4 Prem games now with Arteta and its 2 draws, 1 win and 1 loss.. . thats roughly the same as Emery and Ljnugberg this season, they were doing that too.

I'm not blaming Arteta.. I just think the results will be more or less the same because the players are just not good enough, no one scores. Yes Auba scores tons of goals obviously, but who else?? the midfield just never score and Laca is a fat pig and scores much less goals than Giroud.

A huge overhaul is needed in players.. unless we totally change midfield then nothing will happen.. we will keep failing and falling too
The Break Water
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Jedi wrote:Reminder that Pep barely finished in top 4 in his first season (only 3 points above Arsenal that was in 5th) and then demolished the league and broke the points record in the following season.

It takes a very long time to really implement this brand of football, yet we're already playing much better. I'd rather we won today, but i'm not fussed about results at all. It's all about implementing the style.

I'm very confident we will be very competitive next season as long as something doesn't go terribly wrong in the recruitments department.

This is exactly the excuse people were churning out for Emery (and for Wenger when he was supposedly rebuilding), don't compare Arteta to Guardiola, Klopp or anyone else of that level, he's an unproven rookie, he's not an elite manager and the chances of him being are very small, we're not going to be winning any titles, or demolishing any teams, or winning the CL or even challenging for a long long time.

So far he's been OK, nothing amazing and his belief in this squad is worrying when clearly it needs a big overhaul, and results are very important indeed, they're what will help us progress, knit the team together and give us belief right now this is Emery level of performance and results to be honest, we can only turn up for 45 minutes that's exactly what Emery was doing when he arrived.

So far, personally not that impressed, I wasn't convinced he was the right appointment and nothing so far has changed my mind, if anything his words and belief in the squad and certain players has done the opposite for me, make me believe even less he's the right choice.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Still enjoyed today’s game more than any league game under emery tbh.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:28 pm

Santi wrote:Still enjoyed today’s game more than any league game under emery tbh.
What passing it around on the half way line? Might as well go watch a training session. It was boring.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:30 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Santi wrote:Still enjoyed today’s game more than any league game under emery tbh.
What passing it around on the half way line? Might as well go watch a training session. It was boring.

Pretty much, people are hyping Arteta as if he's produced some brilliant football and results, it's been pretty average on both scores, with the forwards and players we have we should be using their pace and trying more counter attacking football (which is better to watch anyway), not this pathetic 5 yard nonsense Wenger had us playing for years that never worked.

A forward line of Pepe, Auba and Lacazette are made for that and in fact even Ozil excelled in that kind of style.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Tony Adams wrote:

At least we made the halfway line. Under emery we had 11 players in our own box at home to Huddersfield or such shit
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Santi wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

At least we made the halfway line. Under emery we had 11 players in our own box at home to Huddersfield or such shit

Not when he first arrived.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:36 pm

Özim wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Pretty much, people are hyping Arteta as if he's produced some brilliant football and results, it's been pretty average on both scores, with the forwards and players we have we should be using their pace and trying more counter attacking football (which is better to watch anyway), not this pathetic 5 yard nonsense Wenger had us playing for years that never worked.

A forward line of Pepe, Auba and Lacazette are made for that and in fact even Ozil excelled in that kind of style.

Yadda yadda the guy who can’t find a single positive thing to say about arteta or the last few weeks.

I was against the appointment at first as well, same reasons as you..it’s a cheapskate small time appointment. However he’s definitely got them performing better than before if nothing else and I don’t expect miracles in the space of a few weeks. He always has the right attitude and says the right things as well which helps. Obviously if the results don’t back it up over an extended period then he should be questioned, but for now we need to give it time.

I’d also suggest the result against Chelsea doesn’t reflect how well we played at least in the first half and the fact we lost was a stupid collapse. It’s not a free pass but a bit more understandable than just ZOMG WE LOST.

Plus emery got a free season, why doesn’t Arteta at least get the rest of this season to show what he can do? I’m not usually a ‘let’s be positive for positives sake’ but I cba being so down about football all the time, let’s try and be positive and make the team feel that in the ground.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Yes it was, was always the same shit no style from the start, we just were getting better results. Told Pudpop this from day 1, can find the posts if you’re bothered enough.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Santi wrote:
Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Yes it was, was always the same shit no style from the start, we just were getting better results. Told Pudpop this from day 1, can find the posts if you’re bothered enough.

Not true, we were closing the opposition down and passing from the back when he arrived and he was getting results, albeit with some luck, but it's been no different for Arteta to be honest.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Goonerz » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Jedi wrote:Reminder that Pep barely finished in top 4 in his first season (only 3 points above Arsenal that was in 5th) and then demolished the league and broke the points record in the following season.

How much did Pep spend after that season?
And what quality of player was he afforded by the City owners?
And on top of that he was already a world class manager that had won big trophies already.

On the other hand we have Arteta that has absolutely no history in management whatsoever. Nothing to judge him on apart from sitting next to Pep.

Your comparison is as off the mark as it gets. Lol

Arteta has excited me so far even though I was agnostic about his appointment. Same as I was when we appointed Emery. Arteta has given me more optimism even if that is not much to say.
Same optimism Emery had given in his first few games as manager.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 pm

Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:
Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Not true, we were closing the opposition down and passing from the back when he arrived and he was getting results, albeit with some luck, but it's been no different for Arteta to be honest.

We were passing from the back when he left as well. Only difference at the start was a bit more energy from new manager bounce but the style was still non-existent and performances were largely shit. How many half time subs and comebacks were we seeing?

Was disappointed after about 3 games because I was quite impressed when we replaced wenger with a 3 time EL winner. Funnily enough the games I did enjoy were the tougher EL games, partly because I was there, partly because we won but mostly because those were the few games where we actually played well. Valencia away was arguably the best game under Unai.

Arteta improving the performances may well yet be the same manager bounce and bit more energy but for me just feels a bit different. I think his communication is a big factor and feels like he has a good understanding and gameplan, just needs time to implement it.

Like I said if results don’t pick up my positivity about him and patience with him will start to wear very thin as well.
Last edited by Santi on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby BS221B » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 pm

It is time to start Martinelli since we are without Auba. I hope he dont rely out of form Laca for the time being.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk