Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Nuggets » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:38 am

theHotHead wrote:
aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:If the players are inconsistent and we have a better squad now than we did in Wenger's last few years, that means Wenger was a miracle worker then.

Its either that or the players are not as bad as people claim. Wenger the miracle worker or players are not as bad as claimed.

My money is on players are not as bad as claimed, all day, every day

Wenger wasn't a miracle worker any more than Emery was. You don't need divine intervention to finish above Aston Villa and Southampton.

Well, I am glad you agree, because the way some people are talking its like we are lucky to be 11th with the players we have.

I think a good manager could do a lot better with these players, Arteta is just clueless.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:43 pm

Wenger didn't have to be a miracle worker, his approach was actually quite simple.

Play possession football and buy tekkers players and allow them to play freely because you bought their game expertise with the type of player they are.

Ozil, Rosicky, Cazorla, Nasri, Hleb, Sanchez etc don't need to be taught how to play football, their game IQ is well above the norm.

The only thing Wenger was great at is spotting undervalued players, guys like Cazorla who have great technical ability but don't play in systems that allow them to thrive.

Look what he did for Sanchez, went from Barca fringe to WC.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:09 pm

The simplest of things are often the most complex.

Wenger was simply amongst the 1% of football managers. There's not a single manager who could train their sides to play his brand of football with one-hand tied behind his back.

Arsenal-bias, it may be, there's not a single side that played as beautiful football as Wenger's sides did when it clicked. Not Man City, not ManU, not even the mighty Barcelona.

Arsenal managers since simply cannot fill his boots. They're not even half-way there. I did expect better from Arteta. He played under Wenger. He assisted Pep. Yet, he's more like Moyes than either of the two.

In hindsight, '07-'13 was indeed a miracle job. Might be unpopular here, but that's simply what I think.

I disagree with Brandon's analysis of the squad. It's pretty good to be in EL positions or thereabouts. This drastic turn of opinions from Wenger holding us back to the squad simply being poor is amusing.

The buck has to stop somewhere. You can't draw proportions as to who is at fault and what the issue is. If Arteta needs a stellar squad to challenge for EL, the problem might rest with him. If Edu is unable to know what he needs to know, that's his incompetence speaking. If the squad is tepid as has been paraded, the FA Cup last season might have been a fluke.

I didn't shape my opinion on three games, and I'm not going to change it on the same. If Arteta doesn't reach the SFs of the EL, whilst we finish in European positions, I don't think he will push us any further than where we were in 18/19.

As I've mentioned before countless times, if the aim is Everton under Moyes, Arteta looks ripe. If we want to respect the club's tradition, he has still a lot to do.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:11 pm

I like how he sent a message to anyone not pulling their weight. If Ozil can be forced out then so can anyone!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:50 pm

As Wenger said, Arteta is lucky to have this job because you normally need ten years of experience to manage a club like Arsenal.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:34 pm

swipe right wrote:As Wenger said, Arteta is lucky to have this job because you normally need ten years of experience to manage a club like Arsenal.

George graham had 4
Bertie mee had 0
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:06 am

Tony Adams wrote:I like how he sent a message to anyone not pulling their weight. If Ozil can be forced out then so can anyone!

............. that's all well and good but that only works on the youngsters or mid 20's players who still have a career to fight for.

They look at players like AMN or Cedric and for them to get max dollars and be wanted by the top clubs young players know what situation they don't want to be in.

.......... the problem is for the sorts of players we keep buying, 30 yr olds on final contracts, they don't fear their careers plateauing or plummeting in somes cases (Willian) because they have their big contract, they've had a career, they don't give a fk what Arteta is talking about.

Which is why its the youngsters and Lacazette whos doing what Auba did last year and has his final big contract on the line that are responding to Arteta.

Auba, Willian, Ozil dgaf about what he's talking about, they all got their Golden parachutes into retirement.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:13 am

Tony Adams wrote:I like how he sent a message to anyone not pulling their weight. If Ozil can be forced out then so can anyone!

Ozil wasn't forced out. Dont think for one second that the club has benefitted from this Ozil debacle! They have still had to pay him his full contracted salary, he chose to leave when he was good and ready to leave.

He made Arteta and Arsenal look like f***ing idiots, considering only a couple of weeks ago Arteta looked set to be sacked with Arsenal languishing in 15th place on a negative goal difference. Cutting off their nose to spite their face us never a good look, it was so a PR disaster.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:13 am

I think its becoming clear that some of our players just simply don't respect Arteta enough to be motivated by him.

That's to be expected tbh, the man has no credentials.

We're going to have to buy a lot of grass roots players now, hungry players who aren't stars on big wages who will respond to any opportunity they get to build their careers.

I mean we're 11th in the league and have a manager with literally what, 1 years experience?

Even Brendan Rodgers has more respect around the league for his back ground than Arteta does.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:23 am

starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:As Wenger said, Arteta is lucky to have this job because you normally need ten years of experience to manage a club like Arsenal.

George graham had 4
Bertie mee had 0

Bertie Mee with his one first division trophy and one FA cup didn’t do it for me. Arteta already had the one Fa cup. You need to pick more successful people to emulate.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:20 am

Come on, it's a joke that he got the job in the first place, FFS no managerial experience, man-management skills of an armadillo he must be giving someone on the board one that's all I can say.
Nuggets

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:40 am

Nuggets wrote:Come on, it's a joke that he got the job in the first place, FFS no managerial experience, man-management skills of an armadillo he must be giving someone on the board one that's all I can say.
It is, but I'm not sure what happened with Ozil wasn't exactly what was needed to give everyone a kick up the arse.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:14 am

swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:

George graham had 4
Bertie mee had 0

Bertie Mee with his one first division trophy and one FA cup didn’t do it for me. Arteta already had the one Fa cup. You need to pick more successful people to emulate.

When Mee arrived we had not won a trophy for 13 years.

His record.

League Cup runners up 1967 & 68
European Fairs (UEFA) Cup winners 1969
League Champions 1971
FA Cup winners 1971
League runners up 1973

With 241 wins he was the most successful manager in Arsenal history - only surpassed by Wenger.

And you don't rate that?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:16 am

^ i think he was taking the piss mate
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho