Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:00 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Moondoggie wrote:
Ach wrote:It's been 2 years nearly. He's shown he can't do it regularly.

How much more time does he need?

We are tenth. Not in Europe. No chance of top 4 this season.

Yeah we get the odd good result here and there but until we get consistency, it means little and 2 years on, he can't get it

Why risk more time? If he had any sense he'd walk now just after we've beaten spurs so he might have some goodwill left

First of all, everyone knew -- or should have known -- that it was going to take more than 20 months to get things completely turned around (and that would have been the case no matter who was appointed, much less a first time manager). But here's a fact for you: Arteta has guided Arsenal to 56 points in the last 33 Premier League games. Klopp has led Liverpool to 51 points over the past 33 PL games. Chelsea has 55 points over the past 33 games. I mean, how much more consistency are you looking for? The Invincibles? Fifty-six points over 33 is hardly an "odd good result here and there." It's damn good. But you just want to focus on 3 games (2 against the defending league and European champions) in which Arsenal played poorly without most of their best players. Arteta might still do better than Mari and Kolasinac, but since he's the manager he's not allowed to go out there himself. Seriously, 33 games is just 5 short of an entire season playing at Top 4 level. I just don't get all the twists and turns of logic some of y''all go through to hate on Arteta. It's as though some want Arsenal to fail just so they can say "I told you so."

Wrong, it should never have taken 2 years, all Emery and Arteta had to do was fix our abysmal defending by a little bit and we would've been back in the top 4 mix. Our offense was hot.

You are dead wrong.
There was no quick fix to the squad that Emery left - and it was;t just about defence.
Without a change in culture and attitude, which in many instances needed new players, there could be no improvement.
It was a 5-year job to be title challengers and we're only 2 into it.

I will NEVER agree with this ! The offense functioned just as well as it did under Wenger - and it wasn't a problem under Wenger.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:03 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:Was a decent result yesterday, first half we played well and the football was much quicker and sharper than usual, it was helped by the space we were given but nonetheless it was good.

Thought Aubameyang really looked up for it and, ESR was very good.

Tailed off in the 2nd half and Spurs had chances bur at 3-0 the game was over.

Thought Ramsdale should have done better with the save for their goal.

Very unusual NLD as Spurs just seemed very sluggish and not up for it in the 1st half, which you don’t expect in a game like that, on the plus side we seemed up for it which has been unusual for us.

Some progress yesterday but for me it doesn’t change a huge amount as one half in one game doesn’t change everything else that went before it, we’re still not in a great position in the league.

But definitely much better yesterday.

Credit to the manager, eh?

Yes yesterday he had the players up for it from the off, the team played well and the attacking was quick and crisp, he definitely got it right today.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:Was a decent result yesterday, first half we played well and the football was much quicker and sharper than usual, it was helped by the space we were given but nonetheless it was good.

Very unusual NLD as Spurs just seemed very sluggish and not up for it in the 1st half, which you don’t expect in a game like that, on the plus side we seemed up for it which has been unusual for us.

Some progress yesterday but for me it doesn’t change a huge amount as one half in one game doesn’t change everything else that went before it, we’re still not in a great position in the league.

Yes yesterday he had the players up for it from the off, the team played well and the attacking was quick and crisp, he definitely got it right today.

I think it was pretty much the same set-up and approach as we played vs Burnley and Norwich.
The main difference was the execution and decision making on the pitch - helped by the fact that Spurs left vast empty spaces in the middle of the pitch.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:24 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I think it was pretty much the same set-up and approach as we played vs Burnley and Norwich.
The main difference was the execution and decision making on the pitch - helped by the fact that Spurs left vast empty spaces in the middle of the pitch.

Jay you have to be having a laugh ?!!!! The tactic vs Spurs was ENTIRELY DIFFERENT to that deployed vs Norwich and Burnley, the only thing that was the same was the name of the sport !
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:32 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Jay you have to be having a laugh ?!!!! The tactic vs Spurs was ENTIRELY DIFFERENT to that deployed vs Norwich and Burnley, the only thing that was the same was the name of the sport !

Explain.
I was at both the Norwich and Spurs games and could see the entire set-up and shape in both games, how were launching attacks and how we were defending.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:43 pm

It is a new team w/number of new faces, so it'll take time to evolve.
Based on yesterday's exploits, things are definitely in the right direction.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:46 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

We barely created anything v Norwich but apparently it's the same.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Ach wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

We barely created anything v Norwich but apparently it's the same.

We had more chances AND better chances against Norwich than we did against Spurs.

jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:40 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Explain.
I was at both the Norwich and Spurs games and could see the entire set-up and shape in both games, how were launching attacks and how we were defending.

Jay I guarantee you we had a better view of the game and setup watching TV than you did from your static spot in the stadium. Never in a million years were the tactics in the Spurs game the same as in the Norwich and Burnley games were our passing was sideways and slow as hell.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:57 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Explain.

Jay I guarantee you we had a better view of the game and setup watching TV than you did from your static spot in the stadium. Never in a million years were the tactics in the Spurs game the same as in the Norwich and Burnley games were our passing was sideways and slow as hell.

TV never shows the whole pitch - and you miss the ability to follow a player and not the ball.
I was also able to rewatch the game on TV. The entire game is on Arsenal.com.

Sideways slow passing is not a tactic - it's an on-field choice.
That said, we released just as many forward passes vs Norwich as we did against Spurs and created more chances.
In possession especially it was exactly the same - with White, Gabriel and Tomiyasu dropping to a back 3 and White starting attacks with Tierney pushing up into midfield.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Different teams, different set up, different agenda. Burnley and Norwich are low table teams, so they had a defensive mind set from the start. They'll always have safety first strategy and difficult to break down.
Whereas Spuds have higher ambition, feel they can beat us now and had a more open set up. So it was attack vs attack and they collapsed.
I'm sure we will get more opportunities against ManU or 'Pool since they come to win, and if we are brave ,play to a solid plan, we will have chances to upset them.
I think any top 6 team will seem sluggish against teams who park the bus.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:07 pm

Arteta nominated for Premier League Manager of the Month.
Nominees

Mikel Arteta (Arsenal)
Pep Guardiola (Manchester City)
Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool)
Graham Potter (Brighton)
Dean Smith (Aston Villa)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:31 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Arteta nominated for Premier League Manager of the Month.
Nominees

Mikel Arteta (Arsenal)
Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool)
Graham Potter (Brighton)
Dean Smith (Aston Villa)

Klopp or Potter are the obvious front runners.

How can you be manager of the month while being 10th with the 8th biggest club in the world?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:33 pm

Should be Arteta.

He's won every game
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:51 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Arteta nominated for Premier League Manager of the Month.
Nominees

Mikel Arteta (Arsenal)
Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool)
Graham Potter (Brighton)
Dean Smith (Aston Villa)

Klopp or Potter are the obvious front runners.

How can you be manager of the month while being 10th with the 8th biggest club in the world?

It is manager of the month, not the season so far.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk