Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:36 pm

PairyGrows wrote:Yesterday's performance was, quite frankly, awful. If Wenger or Emery oversaw that performance, fans would be on their case. Rightly so in my opinion.

Difference is they would of lost / drawn that game.

........... add to that they had their windows to get new players, Arteta hasn't had a full window yet.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:54 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:Yesterday's performance was, quite frankly, awful. If Wenger or Emery oversaw that performance, fans would be on their case. Rightly so in my opinion.

........... add to that they had their windows to get new players, Arteta hasn't had a full window yet.

Under wenger? Sure
Under emery weve had alot of ugly wins tbh.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:06 pm

Why has signing midfielders (creative/technical) become such a chore for us?

We signed Cazorla and Ozil in back to back summers. Since then, we haven't signed a single creative or technical CM/CAM.

Elneny, Xhaka, Guendouzi, and Torreira. Basically the same type if we paint in broad strokes.

Ceballos is probably the most technical midfielder we have signed since Ozil but we haven't really signed him and he is not at Cazorla or Ozil's level.

We've needed such a CM since Cazorla's injury and here we are, five years later, we still haven't signed one.

What's going on really?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:11 pm

Dejan wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Under wenger? Sure
Under emery weve had alot of ugly wins tbh.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Under Wenger we’d have been 3-0 up at half time
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Even at Wenger's worst we were destroying many of these sides in 17/18.

4 against Leicester
3 against Bournemouth
5 against Everton (2x)
5 against Huddersfield
4 against Palace / 3 against them away
3 against Watford
3 against Stoke
3 against Soton
4 against West Ham
5 against Burnley

We scored 113 goals in all competitions in that season. Scored 5 against Milan. 6 against CSKA Moscow in the EL. Both in the knockout stages against respectable opponents.

Scoring goals under Wenger was rarely an issue. Even when Wenger was done and dusted at Arsenal.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:13 pm

When you watch other teams try and play out of the back so poorly it’s a real testament to the work Mikel has done tbh
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:19 pm

alexafc12 wrote:When you watch other teams try and play out of the back so poorly it’s a real testament to the work Mikel has done tbh

Oh we've been doing that for 600 years.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:33 pm

Angelito wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:When you watch other teams try and play out of the back so poorly it’s a real testament to the work Mikel has done tbh

Oh we've been doing that for 600 years.

Huh ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Angelito wrote:Even at Wenger's worst we were destroying many of these sides in 17/18.

4 against Leicester
3 against Bournemouth
5 against Everton (2x)
5 against Huddersfield
3 against Watford
3 against Stoke
3 against Soton
4 against West Ham
5 against Burnley

We scored 113 goals in all competitions in that season. Scored 5 against Milan. 6 against CSKA Moscow in the EL. Both in the knockout stages against respectable opponents.

Scoring goals under Wenger was rarely an issue. Even when Wenger was done and dusted at Arsenal.

But....under Wenger it was rare we'd win our first two games opening during the latter part of his career.

We had opening games where we lost to Villa, West Ham or we'd draw to teams we should be talking the full 3 points against.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:25 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:Even at Wenger's worst we were destroying many of these sides in 17/18.

4 against Leicester
3 against Bournemouth
5 against Everton (2x)
5 against Huddersfield
3 against Watford
3 against Stoke
3 against Soton
4 against West Ham
5 against Burnley

But....under Wenger it was rare we'd win our first two games opening during the latter part of his career.

We had opening games where we lost to Villa, West Ham or we'd draw to teams we should be talking the full 3 points against.

We also had 17 trophies under him, a refurbished Premier League, a UCL Final where God hated us, a stadium built on self-sustainability, and a style of play that was the envy of the world—all of this—surprise, surprise, without oil money or the gargantuan image of a Real Madrid.

This isn't the argument though.

Our goal today is the top-4. Our goal since the stadium construction began, was the top-4.

Under Mikel, we aren't fighting hard to become an English giant. We want to get back into the UCL.

Wenger's Arsenal decimated many of these sides. And, we achieved UCL football, whilst winning trophies during his reign.

That's all that post was about: we never had an issue devastating opponents.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

4 against Leicester
3 against Bournemouth
5 against Everton (2x)
5 against Huddersfield
3 against Watford
3 against Stoke
3 against Soton
4 against West Ham
5 against Burnley

We also had 17 trophies under him, a refurbished Premier League, a UCL Final where God hated us, a stadium built on self-sustainability, and a style of play that was the envy of the world—all of this—surprise, surprise, without oil money or the gargantuan image of a Real Madrid.

This isn't the argument though.

Our goal today is the top-4. Our goal since the stadium construction began, was the top-4.

Under Mikel, we aren't fighting hard to become an English giant. We want to get back into the UCL.

Wenger's Arsenal decimated many of these sides. And, we achieved UCL football, whilst winning trophies during his reign.

That's all that post was about: we never had an issue devastating opponents.

I think you're forgetting the games where we really struggled to beat teams like West Ham towards the end of Wenger's career. We did have issues devastating opponents and we had plenty of lifeless performances where we lost the game of drew. Opening game in 2015/16 season we lost to West Ham. It wasn't always smooth.

Arteta is still a novice and still learning. Wenger has retired and his legacy will always stand. I don't see the point in making an unfair comparison. We can't turn back the clock. Football isn't even as entertaining as it once was.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:14 pm

History is a funny thing more so ones perception of it.
AW as great as his early record was, for me is an instrumental part of a reign of under achievement.
He started with stars of the game, I ain't going to go into when we moved and what happened because my suggested model would have been hugely different to the clubs.
There is a case however that Emery (shit manager imo ) for us inherited a poisonous bunch who didnt look like they wanted to play for him, but hey he made a European final.
Thing is if you want to win you employ players who are winners, you want as many as you can who absolutely hate losing.
You dont want players with the mindset that making the PL is "making the big time"
Winning the f***ing thing is
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby starmandb » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:25 pm

VCC wrote:History is a funny thing more so ones perception of it.
AW as great as his early record was, for me is an instrumental part of a reign of under achievement.
He started with stars of the game, I ain't going to go into when we moved and what happened because my suggested model would have been hugely different to the clubs.
There is a case however that Emery (shit manager imo ) for us inherited a poisonous bunch who didnt look like they wanted to play for him, but hey he made a European final.
Thing is if you want to win you employ players who are winners, you want as many as you can who absolutely hate losing.
You dont want players with the mindset that making the PL is "making the big time"
Winning the f***ing thing is

Absolutely
And you want players and fans to want to win every competition.
All this utter bollocks about lets get knocked out at Leicester. 4 trophys to win
Boggles the mind not to want to be involved in all of them
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:39 am

To be honest even though I know we most probably won't win the league I expect us to put up a bloody good fist of it and even cause the favourites some difficulties. I don't accept losing to a better team, only if they play out of their skin should they win, we shouldn't roll over and die and make it easy for anyone - even of we are the underdogs. They should leave that game knowing they were just taken to hell and back.

That's where professional pride comes in, "you think you are better than me ........ you better come and prove it".
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby themessiah » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:02 pm

theHotHead wrote:To be honest even though I know we most probably won't win the league I expect us to put up a bloody good fist of it and even cause the favourites some difficulties. I don't accept losing to a better team, only if they play out of their skin should they win, we shouldn't roll over and die and make it easy for anyone - even of we are the underdogs. They should leave that game knowing they were just taken to hell and back.

That's where professional pride comes in, "you think you are better than me ........ you better come and prove it".

He is doing well. Arteta is a bit Diego Simeone esque tbf.

Could see Barca snapping Arteta up in a few seasons.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk