Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:53 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Its frustrating because Sheffield and against Slavia have shown that we are on the brink of easily being turned into a good team.

The issue is Arteta's hand brake, he's too cautious to dare to be great.

He deliberately changed the formation against Slavia to a 3-3-4 something City have done for half the season, but as soon as we scored the 3rd goal he instructed the team to revert back to 4-2-3-1 and Xhaka dropped into LB.

Which tells me Arteta knows that set up is our safety first formation, the hand brake, pass, pass, pass formation.

So for the record I think the changes he made against Sheffield (played a WF behind Laca) and Slavia (changed formation) were very good, as per the score line reflected.

............. however I can bet he'll revert to type as soon as we face any team higher than 10th.

We've got attacking talent worthy of top 6, he needs to unleash it and stop being so safety first.

Sheffield is dead last in the premier league. And Prague play in, well Prague. We should not be using performances against them as signs of a turnaround. The expectation with them is progressing without a hiccup. Of course he gets more conservative the moment he’s faced with better teams because they will expose his tactical limitations.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 am

swipe right wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Its frustrating because Sheffield and against Slavia have shown that we are on the brink of easily being turned into a good team.

The issue is Arteta's hand brake, he's too cautious to dare to be great.

He deliberately changed the formation against Slavia to a 3-3-4 something City have done for half the season, but as soon as we scored the 3rd goal he instructed the team to revert back to 4-2-3-1 and Xhaka dropped into LB.

Which tells me Arteta knows that set up is our safety first formation, the hand brake, pass, pass, pass formation.

So for the record I think the changes he made against Sheffield (played a WF behind Laca) and Slavia (changed formation) were very good, as per the score line reflected.

............. however I can bet he'll revert to type as soon as we face any team higher than 10th.

We've got attacking talent worthy of top 6, he needs to unleash it and stop being so safety first.

Sheffield is dead last in the premier league. And Prague play in, well Prague. We should not be using performances against them as signs of a turnaround. The expectation with them is progressing without a hiccup. Of course he gets more conservative the moment he’s faced with better teams because they will expose his tactical limitations.

Sheff Utd are still a Premier League team for now and we know that any team can beat any other team in the PL and it happens often.
Prague I agree are hardly even a real football team they are so bad.
But, the improvements can be seen regardless of opposition. The movement of the players, especially the front line, and the link to midfield was way ahead of what we've generally seen this season.
We looked a direct threat going forward and some of the play would have been difficult to handle for any team.

I can definitely see a core of the team forming with very good players. We need to build around that.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:01 am

theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:Loool any win is to be expected and any loss leads to hysteria

No wonder this place is toxic these days :rofll:

Oh yes, the old "take what nobody said and use it as an argument" routine.

Santi, even you agreed that Slavia Prague are not a team we need to fear, that tells me you also agree that we should beat them every day of the week. So if we should expect to beat them every day of the week why should we celebrate beating them in a 2-legged tie ?

When we play the next round we will be playing a team that will no doubt cause us problems, I will cheer the victory however we get it

Except you did say it and it’s how you act all the time. You rarely if ever give any praise for a win and cry like a bitch when we lose.

Slavia are wank and we should’ve beaten them over 1 leg. We did it in 2 and we should celebrate the f**k out of it.

Mate calm down with the anger, its clouding up your judgement.

Tell me when I said ANY win is expected, I beg you DO ! Against teams we are clearly better than, I expect us to win, against teams that are closer to our level I hope we will win. Against teams that are better than us I hope we don't lose. Thats called common sense my friend, you should exhibit a bit more of it instead of going off on wild rants saying people act like bitches. I am guessing you don't read half of what you write because if you did you would see a grade A bitch in the mirror.

Take your beating fool, cos your "don Mikel" took us to 15th place and now firmly rooted into mid-table YOU cannot handle people criticising him. I suggest you man up and grow a pair before telling me I cry like a bitch :rofll:

Go celebrate the f**k out of beating Slavia Prague, knock one out too if it makes you that happy. Meanwhile me and the rest of the normal fans will continue to call a spade a spade.

What magical anger are you making up now? :rofll:

Won’t even read the rest because no doubt a load of shit. If you’re sad enough that you can’t enjoy a european win and just deem it as ‘job done’ then I don’t want to discuss anything further. I’d like to enjoy my teams wins and not have to deal with Debbie downers.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:39 am

Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:Loool any win is to be expected and any loss leads to hysteria

No wonder this place is toxic these days :rofll:

Oh yes, the old "take what nobody said and use it as an argument" routine.

Santi, even you agreed that Slavia Prague are not a team we need to fear, that tells me you also agree that we should beat them every day of the week. So if we should expect to beat them every day of the week why should we celebrate beating them in a 2-legged tie ?

When we play the next round we will be playing a team that will no doubt cause us problems, I will cheer the victory however we get it

Except you did say it and it’s how you act all the time. You rarely if ever give any praise for a win and cry like a bitch when we lose.

Slavia are wank and we should’ve beaten them over 1 leg. We did it in 2 and we should celebrate the f**k out of it.

Mate calm down with the anger, its clouding up your judgement.

Tell me when I said ANY win is expected, I beg you DO ! Against teams we are clearly better than, I expect us to win, against teams that are closer to our level I hope we will win. Against teams that are better than us I hope we don't lose. Thats called common sense my friend, you should exhibit a bit more of it instead of going off on wild rants saying people act like bitches. I am guessing you don't read half of what you write because if you did you would see a grade A bitch in the mirror.

Take your beating fool, cos your "don Mikel" took us to 15th place and now firmly rooted into mid-table YOU cannot handle people criticising him. I suggest you man up and grow a pair before telling me I cry like a bitch :rofll:

Go celebrate the f**k out of beating Slavia Prague, knock one out too if it makes you that happy. Meanwhile me and the rest of the normal fans will continue to call a spade a spade.

What magical anger are you making up now? :rofll:

Won’t even read the rest because no doubt a load of shit. If you’re sad enough that you can’t enjoy a european win and just deem it as ‘job done’ then I don’t want to discuss anything further. I’d like to enjoy my teams wins and not have to deal with Debbie downers.

Take your beating!! It's hot but take it.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:42 am

Mate this isn’t the place for your bondage fantasies
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Dissapointing that this performance / result was so easy to predict.

Arteta is too cautious which is reflecting in our performances.

Had a good game against Prague playing attacking football without the hand brake on then reverts straight back to type, very predicatable.

As for the players, does it take a Fulham player being racist to them to actually get them to play properly?

What does it say that they can tear Prague a new one but let a shite Fulham back into a game and we scrape a draw?

The players have downed tools on the Premier league that's for sure.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:40 pm

Thinks he’s Pep guardiola or something starts the game with only one fullback and decides to take of the only fullback off, end up chasing the game with Saka at RB, then Partey towards the end, that’s no tactical masterclass we got lucky today at the end

This Xhaka nonsense at left back has finally cost us, today when he got skipped passed and Gabriel gave away a pen, he adds nothing going forward in that role so what’s the point really
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:51 pm

Soft penalty, harsh offside call and failed to take our chances despite a pretty strong forward line up Looked pretty tame for most of the game.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:54 pm

We will not progress without a deep lying creative midfielder. You just cannot be playing with Ceballos and El Neny. We must solve this problem with urgency. No matter how much good work is done around the pitch we will not be able to capitalize if we cannot start attacks with regularity and transition quickly. I am inclined to say we try and get Ramsey back at any cost.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:57 pm

swipe right wrote:We will not progress without a deep lying creative midfielder. You just cannot be playing with Ceballos and El Neny. We must solve this problem with urgency. No matter how much good work is done around the pitch we will not be able to capitalize if we cannot start attacks with regularity and transition quickly. I am inclined to say we try and get Ramsey back at any cost.

Partey was missed. Ceballos and Elneny were pretty ineffective.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:01 pm

Please go
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:17 pm

The Don, lol, rescued a point at home against the team in 18th place. The progress is real.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:We will not progress without a deep lying creative midfielder. You just cannot be playing with Ceballos and El Neny. We must solve this problem with urgency. No matter how much good work is done around the pitch we will not be able to capitalize if we cannot start attacks with regularity and transition quickly. I am inclined to say we try and get Ramsey back at any cost.

Partey was missed. Ceballos and Elneny were pretty ineffective.

Partey was poor when he came on too.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:20 pm

theHotHead wrote:The Don, lol, rescued a point at home against the team in 18th place. The progress is real.

It's a team with a lot of young players - they WILL be inconsistent for a while as they gain experience.
Got to keep going.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:46 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:The Don, lol, rescued a point at home against the team in 18th place. The progress is real.

It's a team with a lot of young players - they WILL be inconsistent for a while as they gain experience.
Got to keep going.

The system Arteta insists on is not helping.

It encourages a meek, lazy approach of pinging the ball around between the defense and our CM's effectively just wasting time.

Its not aggressive enough, we can't catch teams on the break because by the time we get the ball forward from all the passing they're back in position and have the bus fully parked.

Its a shambles, this is not good football, the results don't lie and hiding behind possession stats is a poor way to manage.

Arteta may malign his results but this is the football he's instructing them to play.

How he told them to play against Prague, is not what he's told them to do today that's for sure, he's overly cautious and that's having a negtive effect on our players, we now have a slim hope for winning the Europa with Laca gone.

I'd prefer we got a new manager who isn't just trying to replicate a poor version of Wengerball.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk