Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:51 pm

theHotHead wrote:If we get Coutinho thats 15-20 goals added, provided we can improve defensively we will absolutely be top 4 competitors.

Are you talking about goals only, or including the assists tally?

Coutinho's best goals tally was 14 goals in all competitions in 16/17. He won't be scoring more than 7-8 goals now, not when he looks like he's already past his best. If we do get him, I'm expecting 6-8 goals and 6-8 assists at max.

For an alleged midfield and creator, he's far behind Ozil, KdB, Cesc, Eriksen, etc., in chances created, key passes, and assists. Plus, he's a lazy player. People accuse Ozil of being lazy when Ozil is always up there in ground covered. Coutinho walks around like he's Messi, without having 1% of the influence.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ag6789 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:01 pm

So 6-8 from Coutinho, (+6-8 assists), another 6-8 from Willian (+6-8 assists) is a massive improvement from the current crop of midfielders, including Ozil who is absconding for a while now. What's the gripe ? Auba set to sign a deal, in contact w/ two other CBs; things are looking up. Time to cheer up boys !
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Callum wrote:I just don't think Lampard has the tactical nous to take Chelsea to a title. They're score bucket loads of goals but can't defend for toffee.

I don't think Lampard's expected to challenge for the league next season.

But at some point Pep will be gone and Klopp will enter his late stage Dortmund slump. That's all it takes to have a run at the title. That window opened up twice last decade, and Wenger, Poch and Rodgers, all more experienced than Lampard, failed to take advantage.

Having that window of opportunity is more important than tactical skill.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:08 pm

The original point was about them being basically a lock for top 4 next year not really about them challenging for a title.

They need a whole new defence, Azpili is done now and that hamstring injury wont help. Zouma is trash and maybe off to Spurs. Rudiger can't decide whether he wants to turn up and play like VVD or Mikael Silvestre from week to week. Alonso is only good at murder and elbowing Bellerin.

Then we get to the keepers....

Put it this way, most people here think our defence is shit.

Arsenal P38 Conceded 48
Chelsea P38 Conceded 54

Their form has been up and down since January, they just had a big enough lead on Utd and Spurs from the early season to stay in the top 4. United went 16 games unbeaten, scoring goals for fun in the process, but nobodies calling them a lock?

Think people are really overrating Chelsea just because they signed a couple of FM names and might sign another. They will have spent £170m on the three, how much do you think they'll have left to fix that defence? Now if the rumours are true and they get Oblak and a CB as well, then I'd agree they'd be favourites for third despite having an average manager. Spending that amount of money you'd f***ing hope they could get into the top 4 anyway, jesus.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Managers/Head Trainers who've won trophies in England's biggest competitions:

- Pep
- Mou
- Klopp
- Arteta

4th place in the bag, lads.

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Angelito wrote:Managers/Head Trainers who've won trophies in England's biggest competitions:

- Pep
- Mou
- Klopp
- Arteta

4th place in the bag, lads.

Poch in shambles
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 pm

Santi wrote:The original point was about them being basically a lock for top 4 next year not really about them challenging for a title.

They need a whole new defence, Azpili is done now and that hamstring injury wont help. Zouma is trash and maybe off to Spurs. Rudiger can't decide whether he wants to turn up and play like VVD or Mikael Silvestre from week to week. Alonso is only good at murder and elbowing Bellerin.

Then we get to the keepers....

Put it this way, most people here think our defence is shit.

Arsenal P38 Conceded 48
Chelsea P38 Conceded 54

Their form has been up and down since January, they just had a big enough lead on Utd and Spurs from the early season to stay in the top 4. United went 16 games unbeaten, scoring goals for fun in the process, but nobodies calling them a lock?

Think people are really overrating Chelsea just because they signed a couple of FM names and might sign another. They will have spent £170m on the three, how much do you think they'll have left to fix that defence? Now if the rumours are true and they get Oblak and a CB as well, then I'd agree they'd be favourites for third despite having an average manager. Spending that amount of money you'd f***ing hope they could get into the top 4 anyway, jesus.

Well league tables don’t lie mate. It’s a 38 game season. They beat united in the semi final comfortably. I’m surprised anyone would think they will struggle for top 4 with the signings. They aren’t FM signings... I’ve you’ve been watching champions league football the last couple of years you’ll know that Ziyech is class and tore spurs a new arsehole last year. Havertz is absolutely class if they do get him. Say what you want about the German league but Leipzig and Bayern still in the champs league. Obviously I hope they fold like origami but there isn’t a shred of evidence that is likely to happen.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:42 pm

Nothing against the players, Ziyech is good and I wanted him here. Werner I've said my bit already and Havertz I'd also love. Doesn't mean they'll all hit the ground running next season or that Lampard can get the best out of them.

And no the table doesn't lie. Man Utd finished 3rd and yet you're seemingly disregarding them despite much better form in 2020 and a more experienced and settled manager. Utd beat Chelsea 3 times last season, the only time they lost was the semi.

Either way even with the signings, neither of them are a lock for top 4 imo. I think both us and Spurs with a couple of decent signings can get involved as well. Neither of those clubs ran away from us this season even with our awful form, so why would they be so certain next year? Just don't get it.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 pm

Santi wrote:Nothing against the players, Ziyech is good and I wanted him here. Werner I've said my bit already and Havertz I'd also love. Doesn't mean they'll all hit the ground running next season or that Lampard can get the best out of them.

And no the table doesn't lie. Man Utd finished 3rd and yet you're seemingly disregarding them despite much better form in 2020 and a more experienced and settled manager. Utd beat Chelsea 3 times last season, the only time they lost was the semi.

Either way even with the signings, neither of them are a lock for top 4 imo. I think both us and Spurs with a couple of decent signings can get involved as well. Neither of those clubs ran away from us this season even with our awful form, so why would they be so certain next year? Just don't get it.

Well yeah but that was the point. They signed 3 top players. If United signed a few Worldies I’d have said the same. Us and spurs have a lot of catching up to do I think but under arteta and with a couple of decent signings I’m more optimistic.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:16 pm

They haven't signed 3 top players. They've signed 2 good players so far and Havertz is still a Leverkusen player.

United are very heavily linked to sign a player better than all of them and already have a better squad.

Each to heir own but describing them as a lock is odd for me, particularly since it seems just to be based on them doing their signings 2 wees before the rest of us.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:20 pm

Santi wrote:They haven't signed 3 top players. They've signed 2 good players so far and Havertz is still a Leverkusen player.

United are very heavily linked to sign a player better than all of them and already have a better squad.

Each to heir own but describing them as a lock is odd for me, particularly since it seems just to be based on them doing their signings 2 wees before the rest of us.

When all said and done it’s just an opinion mate. Same as yours. I think they are top signings that will transform most teams. You don’t. Fair enough. There is no definitive answer here so let’s not look for one
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:24 pm

hs6bx wrote:
Santi wrote:They haven't signed 3 top players. They've signed 2 good players so far and Havertz is still a Leverkusen player.

When all said and done it’s just an opinion mate. Same as yours. I think they are top signings that will transform most teams. You don’t. Fair enough. There is no definitive answer here so let’s not look for one

There's not but he way you originally said it makes them sound like City/Liverpool level and that's the bit I had an issue with. Even with 2-3 good signings, Chelsea are nowhere near those 2.

We'll see in 8 months when Franky gets them relegated anyway ;)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby hs6bx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:34 pm

I think I just said they will be a force? I’m not sure any teams will get that close to city or Liverpool, but we’ll see.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:40 pm

hs6bx wrote:I think I just said they will be a force? I’m not sure any teams will get that close to city or Liverpool, but we’ll see.

Towards the end of the season we saw a shift in the power of city and pool, they are very beatable you just have to get after them on the break, we showed that as did others.
They will lose more points next season
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby hs6bx » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:53 pm

VCC wrote:
hs6bx wrote:I think I just said they will be a force? I’m not sure any teams will get that close to city or Liverpool, but we’ll see.

Towards the end of the season we saw a shift in the power of city and pool, they are very beatable you just have to get after them on the break, we showed that as did others.
They will lose more points next season

I do think they will have lower points totals, but because the league is more competitive. It’s been getting more competitive every season. Having said that, no fans, the break, and the fact pool already won the league might have something to do with them dropping off.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk