Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:39 pm

https://arseblog.com/2021/04/balance-the-talent-first-not-the-age/

“I am alright to play on Thursday!” laughed Gabriel Martinelli in his interview with the official website following the 3-0 win over Sheffield United.

It was his first start since Jan 30th, the 0-0 draw with Man Utd, and that he marked it with a good performance and a goal will obviously have pleased him, and given Mikel Arteta something to think about. It’s interesting: whenever he talks about the young Brazilian, he does so in glowing terms, referencing his talent and potential. There’s always a caveat though, about how we need to be patient.

When you see him play, you wonder exactly what it is that gives the manager such pause for thought. He almost always has an impact. Think back to the doldrums in November and December, and when Martinelli (along with Emile Smith Rowe) were selected for the game against Chelsea, they reinvigorated our dismal campaign to that point. There was a change of formation, but also too a change of energy.

These young players brought a kind of imperfect bravery to the way we played; something that was fresh and enjoyable after the overly-choreographed cautiousness with which the team, and certain individuals, had been performing for too long. Smith Rowe more or less cemented his place in the team, but Martinelli remained a bit too peripheral for many tastes.

To be fair, he did pick up an injury, turning his ankle in a warm-up, and that certainly had an influence on his involvement. It led to speculation about why he wasn’t playing more, and suggestions that maybe Arteta doesn’t like him. I don’t think that ever stacked up, even if I was keen to see him play more often, but I can understand why, when you see someone like Matteo Guendouzi dispatched ANYWHERE ELSE because his behaviour wasn’t tolerated, people might suspect something wasn’t 100% with Martinelli.

However, he was brought on for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in the 1-1 draw with Benfica; he replaced the captain again with the team still needing to score in the 3-3 draw with West Ham; and last Thursday he was the first sub as we sought a goal in the first leg of the Slavia Prague tie. It’s not a huge amount considering the number of games we’ve played, but it did at least demonstrate that Martinelli had jumped above Eddie Nketiah in the attacking substitution pecking order.

There was also an interesting quote in the post Sheffield United press conference from Arteta who declared himself ‘delighted’ with Martinelli’s contribution, and then said:

I’m asking you to be patient because we have a lot of players who are 19/20-years-old and if you compare where we are with them with other Premier League clubs, then we’re at the top end. It’s not common.

I think every manager has a kind of default for experience. It gives them some measure of reassurance knowing a player has been there, done that and worn the t-shirt. Sometimes though, the places they’ve been and the things they’ve done are no longer of much benefit, and the t-shirt is old, faded and needs to be cut up for rags.

I do get the need to find the balance between youth and experience. If you put eleven 34 year olds out, you’re getting done, the same way as if you put eleven 17 year olds. Clearly it’s important to get that side of things right. But surely there comes a point where the need to balance the talent is more important than balancing age?

Against Slavia Prague, we made chances to win the game, nobody’s disputing that, but the frustration of not taking them was exacerbated by our understanding that the team wasn’t set up correctly. As I said in the blog following that game, you can’t play football the way it needs to be played these days without players who can run. Against Sheffield United, with Martinelli and Nicolas Pepe outside a striker like Lacazette, we looked far more balanced from an attacking perspective, and even if we did miss a chance or two, you felt like we could create more. I say this fully acknowledging we were playing the league’s bottom side who have now lost 8 of their last 9 games as they head towards relegation, but it’s still true.

And let’s be clear, this wasn’t exactly the most mobile Arsenal team you’ll ever see. Lacazette’s strengths aren’t in his running power, his stamina, or an ability to pop up deep and then get into dangerous positions in the opposition box. We had Dani Ceballos with his wibbly-wobbly legs in midfield, just ahead of Granit Xhaka at left-back, so we had some issues in that regard. Nevertheless, they were offset by the inclusion of running power in the wide channels, and through the centre with Bukayo Saka and Thomas Partey.

For me, that’s the balance Arteta needs to find more often. Again, I do understand the need for caution with young players at times, but when your struggles during a season have come primarily because you haven’t played enough of them as often as you should, the solution is kinda staring you in the face.

It will be very interesting to see what he does on Thursday in terms of his team selection. There are a number of issues we need more clarity on before we begin to speculate about that, but that’s stuff we can discuss later in the week.

For some extra reading this morning, Lewis looks at the decision to use Xhaka at left-back in the latest tactics column, and it’s something James and I speak about in the new Arsecast Extra, all the links to listen/subscribe are below. Till tomorrow.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:59 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Yes, Arteta should be dropping players who are either not putting the effort in or don't have the skill set required - but it is not the managers' fault, generally, that players lack motivation. I just don't see it as a managers responsibility to motivate the players - sure they SHOULD make an effort themselves to create a good atmosphere and let the players know the importance of every game, but ultimately if a player doesn't want to listen then that is on the player. A manager can not MAKE a player listen and get motivated, that comes from within the player. No player can pass the buck if they don't understand they are professional footballers that are there to do a job.

For the sake of simplicity, how would you deal with a player who you made every effort to motivate, but doesn't listen and just enjoys his fat multi-million bank account and doesn't give a flying f*** what you say? How would YOU motivate them when they have zero intention of listening to you?

In that case Jay its the player's fault. But when half the team don't look motivated you have to question the manager and his methods !!

Look back at how bad we have been this season, at least half the team being shockingly bad. I wouldn't necessarily put that down to motivation, it looked to me like it was bad tactics. Poor motivation is seen more in lack of effort, people not trying hard enough.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:10 pm

VCC wrote:
theHotHead wrote:On the topic of responsiblity performances MUST be 100% the responsibility of the manager. The players have responsibility to put in effort and play to their ability, however, if the tactics are in place that do not allow the players to perform to their ability they cannot be held responsible for that.

Dont agree HH
It has to be a 50/50 buy in from all or you are f***ked. Anything less and you have players or management hiding.
And it is always situational to what may or may not have happened in what ever circumstances

VCC I don't see this any differently to how businesses run.

Managers are responsible for their staff. CEOs are responsible for the company's performance. A dip in performance of staff or the company is the responsibility of the manager/management. If you don't get the performance you expect it is your job as a manager to find out why and improve it, set goals, motivate. If none of this works then your only option is to replace that staff member, but performance of ANY team is the responsibility of the manager.

I can't tell you the number of times I have had to apologise or take the heat for something a member of my team did because, ultimately, I am responsible for them. I also know that my bosses have had to take the heat for me on occasion.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby starmandb » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:21 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Sometimes it's just a tactical issue and the players run out of answers or lose their nerve under pressure. When Saka went off, I was slightly worried when replaced with Willian. Second half Sheffield were being a bit more aggressive and weren't as sharp with our attacking play.

Willian has played 273 mins off the bench
In that time we have conceded 1 and scored 6
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:31 pm

KG3 wrote:
Paddy wrote:ancelotti should have come here and arteta should have gone to everton

Wenger should have left when klopp was available and we wouldn’t even have this thread lol

Ancelotti should have been given the job in October 2011
Arteta would have been playing for him
starmandb

Postby VCC » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:
VCC wrote:
theHotHead wrote:On the topic of responsiblity performances MUST be 100% the responsibility of the manager. The players have responsibility to put in effort and play to their ability, however, if the tactics are in place that do not allow the players to perform to their ability they cannot be held responsible for that.

Dont agree HH
It has to be a 50/50 buy in from all or you are f***ked. Anything less and you have players or management hiding.
And it is always situational to what may or may not have happened in what ever circumstances

VCC I don't see this any differently to how businesses run.

Managers are responsible for their staff. CEOs are responsible for the company's performance. A dip in performance of staff or the company is the responsibility of the manager/management. If you don't get the performance you expect it is your job as a manager to find out why and improve it, set goals, motivate. If none of this works then your only option is to replace that staff member, but performance of ANY team is the responsibility of the manager.

I can't tell you the number of times I have had to apologise or take the heat for something a member of my team did because, ultimately, I am responsible for them. I also know that my bosses have had to take the heat for me on occasion.

I agree but not totally
You can not legislate for stupidity. And at some point as with business there is the process of verbal and written warnings for a multitude of things.
A manager can select the team and tactics, the team can be prepared and train as to the desired plan.
Come game day one crucial mistake could cost that side the match. As can one decision I think and remember you are preaching to the already converted Arteta not being good enough camp, that most of these players can not read a game more so Leno his distribution skills me at times his decision making when playing short I can not believe almost when we struggle to get on the ball he then decides to invite our defenders to play tippy yappy in our goal mouth.
There are few to none in this group that can effect or alter the course of a game it seems including the manager and his changes have the chance of change the most during a game.
But personal performance is everything and having players that demand that performance it's what sets aside teams imo,
Be it
Seaman
Bergkamp
Veirra
Henry
Adam's
See the quality of performance in that lot, desire and demanding a standard
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Paddy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:01 pm

at the start of the season we were saying arsenal for top 4

now we're gonna finish around 10th

dear god
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Paddy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:12 pm

zidane doing bits with a madrid team in transition

weird how noone ever bigs him up or talks about him in the same breath they talk about managers like klopp, pep, simeone, allegri, poch etc despite him regularly out-thinking and out-smarting the best managers and teams in the world. not to mention his incredible trophy haul as a manager.

another one we missed the boat on.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Paddy wrote:at the start of the season we were saying arsenal for top 4

dear god

Win the Europa and band aid the entire season, get knocked out and all we're left with is a fked season and egg on our face.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Paddy wrote:at the start of the season we were saying arsenal for top 4

dear god

Win the Europa and band aid the entire season, get knocked out and all we're left with is a fked season and egg on our face.

Band-aid is correct.
Whilst I don't value the trophy, some do, so fair enough.
But all it will really do is get us in the CL which we're not good enough for anyway.
Will it mean players we don't have access to now that are REALLY what we need will come to us whereas before they wouldn't?
Probably not.
If anything we'll end up overspending on someone not actually good enough but with a high (and expensive) profile.
We need to be finding the gems of tomorrow, which is not easy, but it is the only way out of our current squad position.

At this stage, Arteta should be judged on his league position and signings.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Yes, Arteta should be dropping players who are either not putting the effort in or don't have the skill set required - but it is not the managers' fault, generally, that players lack motivation. I just don't see it as a managers responsibility to motivate the players - sure they SHOULD make an effort themselves to create a good atmosphere and let the players know the importance of every game, but ultimately if a player doesn't want to listen then that is on the player. A manager can not MAKE a player listen and get motivated, that comes from within the player. No player can pass the buck if they don't understand they are professional footballers that are there to do a job.

For the sake of simplicity, how would you deal with a player who you made every effort to motivate, but doesn't listen and just enjoys his fat multi-million bank account and doesn't give a flying f*** what you say? How would YOU motivate them when they have zero intention of listening to you?

In that case Jay its the player's fault. But when half the team don't look motivated you have to question the manager and his methods !!

Look back at how bad we have been this season, at least half the team being shockingly bad. I wouldn't necessarily put that down to motivation, it looked to me like it was bad tactics. Poor motivation is seen more in lack of effort, people not trying hard enough.

Half the team (at least) are the types who don't listen and just enjoy their fat multi-million bank account and don't give a flying f*** what the manager says.
That's the problem with modern football - the manager is far far less important these days.
If anything, they are less important than the rest of the coaching team.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:26 pm

Man for the big moments.

THE DON.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:28 pm

Callum wrote:Don Mikel rides again
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:03 pm

Droopy will be in shortly to tell us it's all despite Arteta.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby VCC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:09 pm

Phil71 wrote:Droopy will be in shortly to tell us it's all despite Arteta.

Lol
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk