Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:32 pm

See what I mean by not understanding arsenal history
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Ach wrote:See what I mean by not understanding arsenal history

If you think that a low number of European trophies defines this clubs history, then it's you who really doesn't understand this club at all.
Its the same with many young fans out those late to football, who only know the club from Wenger onwards.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:40 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:See what I mean by not understanding arsenal history

If you think that a low number of European trophies defines this clubs history, then it's you who really doesn't understand this club at all.
Its the same with many young fans out those late to football, who only know the club from Wenger onwards.

Dear God

Trolling has gone more hilarious. You do make things entertaining in these dark times though. Keep it up kid.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:43 pm

Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:It seems to me that people are making an argument for Arteta because he was no worse than Emery. People forget, Emery finished 5th in his first season, compared to 8th for Arteta !! Just because Emery was shit in the second season - which seems to be the standard people are comparing Arteta to, doesn't mean its ok for Arteta to be shit !

Emery had a better squad than Wenger but performed worse than him ! Arteta had a better squad than both Emery AND Wenger and performed worse than both of them. How can anyone justify the benefits Arteta brings, what benefits ? Shit Wenger did more than Arteta.

Wenger, toward the end of his tenure, was sailing a ship with holes in the bottom and a ragged crew. Emery took over that flagging ship & ragged crew and tried to make it work, but failed.

By the time Arteta took over the holes were bigger and the crew were tired, aged and in some cases mutinous. The ship had to be brought into a dry dock and repaired, and the crew changed. That takes time. But will be worth it in the end.

Poor old Arteta inherited a rubbish squad, such hard luck!

Please the squad wasn’t that bad at all and he’s added quite a bit since then, on top of that he could have used Saliba, you know the guy that has been tearing it up in France, the guy you think Arteta is right about despite all the evidence pointing the other way.

Arteta has had it really good, decent squad, backing in the transfer market, lucky to have some good youngsters (half of which he doesn’t want to use I might add), fact is he’s been doing a dreadful job, there’s making mistakes and then there’s the mistakes Arteta has been making that are so numerous you could write a book about them.

Anyway when he fails next season, maybe you can send out a handwritten apology to those that you belittled when they said the guy isn’t up to the job eh.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:50 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:Seen nothing to suggest anything will change but I'm ever optimistic

With no Europe and as embarrassing as that is, I always look to the good in every situation and no Europe means we have no reason not to go for the title.

Anything less is a failure

Your post here is a simple case of covering your bases in case we do well.
Win the title or we failed?
Get lost.

But but we're the second best team in the country this year
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:It seems to me that people are making an argument for Arteta because he was no worse than Emery. People forget, Emery finished 5th in his first season, compared to 8th for Arteta !! Just because Emery was shit in the second season - which seems to be the standard people are comparing Arteta to, doesn't mean its ok for Arteta to be shit !

Emery had a better squad than Wenger but performed worse than him ! Arteta had a better squad than both Emery AND Wenger and performed worse than both of them. How can anyone justify the benefits Arteta brings, what benefits ? Shit Wenger did more than Arteta.

Wenger, toward the end of his tenure, was sailing a ship with holes in the bottom and a ragged crew. Emery took over that flagging ship & ragged crew and tried to make it work, but failed.

By the time Arteta took over the holes were bigger and the crew were tired, aged and in some cases mutinous. The ship had to be brought into a dry dock and repaired, and the crew changed. That takes time. But will be worth it in the end.

Please the squad wasn’t that bad at all and he’s added quite a bit since then, on top of that he could have used Saliba, you know the guy that has been tearing it up in France, the guy you think Arteta is right about despite all the evidence pointing the other way.

Arteta has had it really good, decent squad, backing in the transfer market, lucky to have some good youngsters (half of which he doesn’t want to use I might add), fact is he’s been doing a dreadful job, there’s making mistakes and then there’s the mistakes Arteta has been making that are so numerous you could write a book about them.

Anyway when he fails next season, maybe you and the others can send out a handwritten apology to those that you belittled when they said the guy isn’t up to the job eh.

No one has even criticised you for saying Arteta is not up to the job.
I think we all recognise his shortfalls.
Whether he really is up to the job will be seen as we move forward. To early to tell imo.
If he fails this season, then he'll lose support. Simple really.

But not everything has to be extremely shit all the time just because you want to make your Arteta point.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:57 pm

Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Anyway when he fails next season, maybe you and the others can send out a handwritten apology to those that you belittled when they said the guy isn’t up to the job eh.

Yup. He's been given everything he's asked for and he's still failed.

2 eight place finishes is seen as success on here by some to try and defend him but most want him gone
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:04 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

This is exactly the correct analogy.

It really isn’t, it’s nonsense.

Arteta has a far better squad than Emery ever had and yet Emery outperformed him, that’s the truth.

I’m just not going to accept the defence of two 8th places, that’s all the guy could achieve despite having a better squad and having players available to him Emery didn’t have, he also has had far more control over things.

I can’t excuse the number of mistakes because there’s simply too many, even for a rookie, these are errors the average fan would never make.

Frankly I don’t care he’s a rookie and won’t accept that argument as an excuse, his job is to manage Arsenal turn us into a top team, not end up 8th every season and getting beaten by his predecessor.

He was employed as manager, whether he’s managed before was not our problem, he shouldn’t have got the job if he wasnt up to it, the club gave it to him so thought he was, on that basis he should perform from the off, he’s doesn’t get a bud or 3-5 years as you suggest because he has zero record of success.

He had to prove he was good enough and he’s failed miserably on that score.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:08 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Arteta has a far better squad than Emery ever had and yet Emery outperformed him, that’s the truth.

I’m just not going to accept the defence of two 8th places, that’s all the guy could achieve despite having a better squad and having players available to him Emery didn’t have, he also has had far more control over things.

I can’t excuse the number of mistakes because there’s simply too many, even for a rookie, these are errors the average fan would never make.

Frankly I don’t care he’s a rookie and won’t accept that argument as an excuse, his job is to manage Arsenal turn us into a top team, not end up 8th every season and getting beaten by his predecessor.

He was employed as manager, whether he’s managed before was not our problem, he shouldn’t have got the job if he wasnt up to it, the club gave it to him so thought he was, on that basis he should perform from the off, he’s doesn’t get a bud or 3-5 years as you suggest because he has zero record of success.

Accept what you like.
It's the truth though.
Arteta inherited an absolute mess just 18 months ago.
If he does well this year it will am impressive effort.
If he gets top 4 in just two and half years from where he started, he will deserve the highest praise.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:25 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

No one has even criticised you for saying Arteta is not up to the job.
I think we all recognise his shortfalls.
Whether he really is up to the job will be seen as we move forward. To early to tell imo.
If he fails this season, then he'll lose support. Simple really.

But not everything has to be extremely shit all the time just because you want to make your Arteta point.

IMO he’s not up to the job, he’s just done too much wrong, these aren’t the odd error here and there these are errors week in week out.

I just dont see a manager in there, I see a guy we’ll and truly out of his depth.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:28 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Accept what you like.
It's the truth though.
If he gets top 4 in just two and half years from where he started, he will deserve the highest praise.

It’s not, he inherited a decent squad that had stopped playing for the previous manager, it wasn’t the mess some people claim, in fact we were more of a mess last season when he was in charge.

Sorry but I can’t agree, 2 1/2 years is way too long to give a manager with no track record, with no some small club or manager trancing academy, he needed to show potential way before that and he plainly hasn’t.

Let me tell you he’ll never get top 4, that’s pure fantasy doesn’t have it in him, he’s not an even averagely good manager and you need a decent manager to get top 4.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Accept what you like.
It's the truth though.

It’s not, he inherited a decent squad that had stopped playing for the previous manager, it wasn’t the mess some people claim, in fact we were more of a mess last season when he was in charge.

Sorry but I can’t agree, 2 1/2 years is way too long to give a manager with no track record, with no some small club or manager trancing academy, he needed to show potential way before that and he plainly hasn’t.

Let me tell you he’ll never get top 4, that’s pure fantasy doesn’t have it in him, he’s not an even averagely good manager and you need a decent manager to get top 4.

Seriously, cheer up.
Let's see how we do before drawing the curtains in the season before it has started.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby NovaGB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 pm

here we go, judgement season, if no improvement he needs to go.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:46 am

jayramfootball wrote:5th/6th is a good season because of where we are as a club.
If we finish top 4, its a really great season. Not impossible, but I think we'll need some luck to do that.
5th/6th is not where we need to stay, we need to push on from there over the next few seasons.

So as I just said in the Xhaka thread ............. how in the duck, does that make any sense at all??

Your ludicrous claim was "Its better to not be in Europe (Europa) because it allows us to focus on the Premier league finish".

That was your entire premise for it being a good thing to not make Europe, now I've said if that's the case top 4 is absolutely mandatory but you're saying 5th / 6th.

What sort of idiocy are you trying to sell to the forum members???

So your saying it was good to not have Europe (what are we Stoke?) only to finish in 5th or 6th place ............. which gets us (drum roll)

.......... back into the Europa!!!!!!!!

Are you fkin dumb?

So we've missed a season of European money and experience for the reserves / youth, all for finising 2 PL places higher which shoves us straight back into the Europa, no CL or real progression ........... amazing!

Amazing how you can say that bare faced without being called out for trolling.

You see that's what happens when all you're doing is trying to to win an agenda without actually thinking it through .......... which you've been guilty of way too many times now.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:57 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:5th/6th is a good season because of where we are as a club.
If we finish top 4, its a really great season. Not impossible, but I think we'll need some luck to do that.
5th/6th is not where we need to stay, we need to push on from there over the next few seasons.

So as I just said in the Xhaka thread ............. how in the duck, does that make any sense at all??

Your ludicrous claim was "Its better to not be in Europe (Europa) because it allows us to focus on the Premier league finish".

That was your entire premise for it being a good thing to not make Europe, now I've said if that's the case top 4 is absolutely mandatory but you're saying 5th / 6th.

What sort of idiocy are you trying to sell to the forum members???

So your saying it was good to not have Europe (what are we Stoke?) only to finish in 5th or 6th place ............. which gets us (drum roll)

.......... back into the Europa!!!!!!!!

Are you fkin dumb?

So we've missed a season of European money and experience for the reserves / youth, all for finising 2 PL places higher which shoves us straight back into the Europa, no CL or real progression ........... amazing!

Amazing how you can say that bare faced without being called out for trolling.

You see that's what happens when all you're doing is trying to to win an agenda without actually thinking it through .......... which you've been guilty of way too many times now.

It's really not complicated.
Being 5/6th and within touching distance of top 4 - ie. making good progress represents a good season.
It's going to be easier to achieve by not wasting time in the EL.
This is a season where we have to show a bigger improvement than the one we showed last season.
The following season we can build further.
If that is too complicated to understand, perhaps you need to think think through a bit more yourself.

Regardless - we're not in the sh*tty Europa League this year and I am happy about it.
You need to get over it.
You've been moping around for 3 months.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk