Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby LMAO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 am

elkanofan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Jedi wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Jedi wrote:
swipe right wrote:There is no doubt we look a better side under Arteta than Emery. But we need urgent reinforcements in midfield and defense. Sadly I don’t see our geniuses Raul and Edu securing them. Raul only seems to buy from agents he’s friends with and Edu doesn’t seem to know anyone outside the youth teams of Brazil.

It's not a race. January is an awful transfer window and even if we don't sign anyone that's completely fine.

I don't care how shit January is for transfers, we need players and we need them now! An attacking Mid and utility defensive cover for CB and LB.

The squad we have right now will not absolutely nothing this season.

Our season is already over. What would we be buying for? We're not getting top 4 and one or two january transfers aren't going to make much difference in cup competitions. We just need to take the L and strengthen in the summer. No panic buys.

and who the f**k is going to join us when we narrowly beat the drop, no CL, not EL, Auba leaves and we have few to no top level players anymore?

Your neglecting the 15 leagues games left, the EL to come and all the injuries to come we must contend with.

We have won 3 games in the league under 3 different coaches since October 1st.

We have won 5 games since then adding the win vs Guimaraes and Leeds at home.

Injuries, big injuries are only just starting to mount up with many, tough games ahead in 3 competitions.

We are a rudderless club drifting towards to drop with the only salvation at best midtable mediocrity and a AC Milan future future of this continually for the next 5 years at best with how things are moving.

We need players now, right now, right f***ing now and no later by February 1st! We need an attacking mid, we need a midfielder with movement to link our play between transitions and help allow our wingers and forwards to run in behind. We need CB and LB cover! If we don't sort this out we are in deep shit, deeper than the crisis we are already in.
You need to start concerning yourself with now and today because the tomorrow of next season will look very bleak unless we have clear ambition of CL football ready to present to new signings.

Aubameyang is 100% gone unless we win the Europa League or somehow by a miracle get top 4!

Arteta needs help from upstairs and so far he ain't getting enough help.

No cap being in Europe is overrated when it comes to buying players.

Kante, Mane, Gini, Skriniar, Werner

All bought by their current clubs during a season the club didn't play in a European competition.

None of these teams signed these players in a situation of continued downfall in the league with their best players leaving the same summer. They either all were having that one bad season (Chelsea), were consolidated in a period of flattering to deceive as a Top 8 team (Inter, Liverpool) or on the up (RB Leipzig). All clubs spend their money much better than we do and all are much better run clubs!

Your getting emotional with this silly response because you called people out to wait until March when Arteta has turned it all around an you will be getting humble pie ready, the most moronic post I have read of all of last year which i'm going to hold you to to show your own inflated ego.

Right now with the poor quality squad we have when we arrive in late March with the same poor squad, add a few more key injuries and Arteta way out of his depth as our crisis reaches new levels.

EPL 21-01-2020 Chelsea A
FAC 27-01-2020 Bournemouth A
EPL 02-02-2020 Burnley A
EPL 16-02-2020 Newcastle United H
UEL 20-02-2020 Olympiacos A
EPL 23-02-2020 Everton H
UEL 27-02-2020 Olympiacos H
EPL 01-03-2020 Manchester City A
EPL 07-03-2020 West Ham H
EPL 14-03-2020 Brighton A
EPL 21-03-2020 Southampton A

We have 11 games in the next two months and from how dreadful we have been all season we have only 3 home games which we should win and the rest of them really just comes down to what the other team does. The away games most seem winnable bar Chelsea and the obvious one The other away games if the opposition play well and the crowd is behind them the best we are getting is a draw if they don't beat us. We have absolutely no chance at the Etihad regardless even if Arteta knows all their secrets because we ain't good enough to exploit their weaknesses.

You more than most need to wake up, this is not about panic buys, this is being honest and making a assertive signing to address clear problems within the squad, so by the time we make it to the summer we actually have something to attract players.

Like i said if we don't get CL Auba is gone! That alone will disrupt top level, good players from joining us as players will all see Arsenal as a sinking ship.

Please point to the post where I'm getting emotional. It's bad form to use words when they're not relevant, kind of like most of the post I'm replying to. While you're finding me getting emotional, also point me to the post where I don't want us to strengthen. I think you'll have an easier time finding El Dorado.

Your emotional outburst is going to look real foolish when Southampton. All season, I—along with every poster on here—have had to suffer your pointless rants about us being in a relegation fight. And out of every poster on here, you're literally the last one I'm going to be preached to by about overinflated egos. Move out of your glass house before you start chucking stones.

Also, your concerns about us signing good players are overblown. Three years ago, you were erroneously crying about China getting ready to scoop up all the second tier talent of the world. Now all of a sudden, a London club in the PL won't be able to attract players with money? K.

And lastly, you seem to have this weird fetish about me thinking Arteta is our savior. Here you go, chief, read all about it: viewtopic.php?p=1778132#p1778132. It'd be cool if you found a new narrative.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 am

LMAO wrote:Please point to the post where I'm getting emotional. It's bad form to use words when they're not relevant, kind of like most of the post I'm replying to. While you're finding me getting emotional, also point me to the post where I don't want us to strengthen. I think you'll have an easier time finding El Dorado.

ahem*

LMAO wrote:I'm ready to serve up some humble pie to a lot of posters on here in March when we've gone back up the table.

The game today showed glimpses of hope. Like I said during our 22-game unbeaten run and being in 3rd after 8 games this season under Emery, the results don't match the performances. And from what I saw, I can say the same thing again. If we keep playing like we did today (but be able to finish the chances), then the results will undoubtedly come.

I for one can't wait to witness all the backtracking that's going to come. If only half of y'all who are currently bitching and moaning were doing that with Emery towards the end of last season, then we may have been able to get an experienced coach this past summer.

and i didn't even need to do anything to get this.... I'll get my popcorn.

LMAO wrote:Your emotional outburst is going to look real foolish when Southampton. All season, I—along with every poster on here—have had to suffer your pointless rants about us being in a relegation fight. And out of every poster on here, you're literally the last one I'm going to be preached to by about overinflated egos. Move out of your glass house before you start chucking stones.

Also, your concerns about us signing good players are overblown. Three years ago, you were erroneously crying about China getting ready to scoop up all the second tier talent of the world. Now all of a sudden, a London club in the PL won't be able to attract players with money? K.

Wow, that some level of sad you gone to here! Digging up 3 and a half year old posts to only contradict yourself in the process of 'relevance' :rofll: You really put effort into this. Jeez. China stuff was just me as usual commenting on how money has destroyed and made a mockery of the game. Like i said for years, i fear no topic of discussion!

Anyway back to 'relevance' of the topic at hand maybe :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

LMAO wrote:Your emotional outburst is going to look real foolish when Southampton.

???? :rofll:

LMAO wrote:And lastly, you seem to have this weird fetish about me thinking Arteta is our savior. Here you go, chief, read all about it: viewtopic.php?p=1778132#p1778132. It'd be cool if you found a new narrative.

No matter, i quoted your humble pie crap for everyone to see, you ain't getting out of this one. As you said.

LMAO wrote: Move out of your glass house before you start chucking stones.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:19 am

elkanofan wrote:Your getting emotional with this silly response

You really should learn to read what you wrote. Keyword: this (i.e., the post you responded to).

How have I contradicted myself with bringing up China? Bringing it up is absolutely relevant because you were the one throwing a fit about China getting ready to buy all this talent even though it's a shit league, yet you also just claimed Arsenal won't be able to buy good players this summer without CL. However, Arsenal is in a better city and in a better league than any CSL team, and has money to spend. So, please explain how you reached such an asinine conclusion. Is it so hard for you to admit that sometimes you don't know what you're talking about and are speaking out of your ass, or is your ego that fragile?

*after, not when

Yeah, yeah, all this humble pie crap. Continue to bring it up all you want. If I'm wrong about us having moved up the table by the end of March, then I'll eat my humble pie and move on with my life. But, at least I'll own up to it unlike you who still hasn't admitted you were chatting shit about us finding ourselves in a relegation battle (and about the CSL becoming a top league and turning Europe on its head in the process).

No cap, you seem like a sad dude who gets off on some strange pseudo-intellectualism. Also, learn proper spelling (like the difference between your and you're that you constantly get wrong). It might make your pseudo-intellectualism a little more tolerable.

HotHead was right. You're not worth it. Bit like playing chess with a pigeon.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:07 am

VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:You can pass a ball which makes it way to the keeper which therefore counts as a shot on target its literally traveling as fast as a back pass,
Some stats are a joke which is why watching football counts more than some prick rolling the ball 10 yards all day
Denilsen was statistically one of our best midfielders think about that

I've argued heavily about the chance creation stat and how misleading it is. However, xG is supposed to be a statistic that measures quality chances created. Best explanation for it below.

https://youtu.be/zSaeaFcm1SY

I already understand that PG
But it is one of many miss leading stats, literally football unless a pass is miss judged or played poorly or miss controlled, could be controlled in possession by one team providing there is no ambition to go forward in any intent to score,where you will find the majority of the oppositions players, my point is the passes made stat should only be to forward passes,
Like I have said before Denilsen was one of our best midfielders statistically and he was dross

Did you watch the video? I believe xG takes into account all the above. It's a low mark if it's a strike that has bodies between the ball and goal because there is a higher probability of it getting blocked. So a cut back to a player striking it from outside of the box isn't scored as highly as a cut back to a player that has a open net in the 6 yard box. Both could be backwards/sideways passes so I disagree about the forwarding passes part.

I still don't quite understand everything about xG when it comes to the figures but it's not as misleading as seeing someone with 3 key passes and 90% passing accuracy. When I hear that Auba is scoring from low xG chances or over performing compared to his xG, it kind of shows what we're seeing on the pitch. He's not getting many chances, he's not getting many great chances, but he's burying them. It shows that he's really carrying the team on goals and we're not creating enough. You can see it on other stats like goals and assists from other attacking players.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 am

Dejan wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
The XG and stats show a major improvement compared to Unai

This season, league only.

Under Unai: average Xg 1,36
Under Mikel: average Xg 1,26

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Take the average of Unai's last 5 games, you speng. Unai - 1.218. Arteta - 1.262. AND - averaging out xGs is not what PnG's comment is about. Its about having a greater xG than the opposing team in any given game and games under Arteta we are having a higher xG than the opponents more often - hence PnG's comment.

Why would you? Population size does not have to be equal, you "speng". Only taking the last 5 of unai is just manipulating statistics.

Under unai this season we have had a higher Xg goals than arteta. This cant be twisted, its a fact.

The only stat that matters though is the pts/game. Im interested to know that ratio of both managers.

Why would you? Because Emery was sacked because of the results leading up to his sacking you pleb. Or don't you remember when half the forum were sucking each other's dicks when we were 3rd after 8 games!!

Those of us with a modicum of common sense foresaw we would drop down the league because we were playing shit but were getting lucky results. So if you want to compare apples with apples you have to compare Emery's last 5 games with the only games Arteta had managed - his first 5 - to see if Arteta is an improvement over sacked Emery.

Or is Sam Allardyce the best England manager in history because he has a 100% win rate?!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 am

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:You can pass a ball which makes it way to the keeper which therefore counts as a shot on target its literally traveling as fast as a back pass,
Some stats are a joke which is why watching football counts more than some prick rolling the ball 10 yards all day

I've argued heavily about the chance creation stat and how misleading it is. However, xG is supposed to be a statistic that measures quality chances created. Best explanation for it below.

But it is one of many miss leading stats, literally football unless a pass is miss judged or played poorly or miss controlled, could be controlled in possession by one team providing there is no ambition to go forward in any intent to score,where you will find the majority of the oppositions players, my point is the passes made stat should only be to forward passes,
Like I have said before Denilsen was one of our best midfielders statistically and he was dross

Did you watch the video? I believe xG takes into account all the above. It's a low mark if it's a strike that has bodies between the ball and goal because there is a higher probability of it getting blocked. So a cut back to a player striking it from outside of the box isn't scored as highly as a cut back to a player that has a open net in the 6 yard box. Both could be backwards/sideways passes so I disagree about the forwarding passes part.

I still don't quite understand everything about xG when it comes to the figures but it's not as misleading as seeing someone with 3 key passes and 90% passing accuracy. When I hear that Auba is scoring from low xG chances or over performing compared to his xG, it kind of shows what we're seeing on the pitch. He's not getting many chances, he's not getting many great chances, but he's burying them. It shows that he's really carrying the team on goals and we're not creating enough. You can see it on other stats like goals and assists from other attacking players.

Yes agree that a cut back pass is different but a pass around thec18 yard box is different, I am talking about passing around the back four with no attacking intent as well as midfielders playing back to their own half, I agree that the xg looks better from a shot perspective as long as those personal stats change season to season in accordance with their form.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 am

VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Yes agree that a cut back pass is different but a pass around thec18 yard box is different, I am talking about passing around the back four with no attacking intent as well as midfielders playing back to their own half, I agree that the xg looks better from a shot perspective as long as those personal stats change season to season in accordance with their form.

I don't think xG can account for those stale possession moments where we're just controlling the game or just struggling to get out from the back because the opposition aggressively pressing. It's a stat or a more like a rating system for the chances we're creating. If we have a player like Ozil that has 4 key passes against Sheffield you can actually see who the pass was played to, where the shot was taken from, was it blocked or saved and you get the xG rating. 0.5 to 0.10 means it wasn't a clear cut chance.

I'm only just looking at the Understat site and it's really worth digging into to get a better understanding. You can look into the type of chances players are creating or scoring from on the mini map. It's worth saving to your favorites bar. The figures we're floating around on xG won't mean much without much context.

vs Sheffield
https://understat.com/match/11863

Aubameyang overall season
https://understat.com/player/318
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:53 am

Zanatos3 wrote:True

But the other part that people are neglecting to mention

Half the window gone &

Certain players should still be & should have already been Shipped out in THIS WINDOW!....

We Nearly Had Musti&Xhaka Definitely OUT set pre-order in the 1st week of January, NO RETURNS!!!!

But then we allowed the mediocre games to give them time to creep back in, so that we could get RE-RAPED by Liverpool & City when

the Window closes.

Like you say its Kronke's lack of Management

Do you think that Roman Abramovich would have let Raul Salmonella Keep his job after buying the wrong parts in the summer

& letting the club slip DOWN to 10th for the 1st time in Decades.

Raul would have been shown the door Promptly, just as Barca kicked him out for screwing up the Suarez signing.

Kronke doesn't care to change things nor add funds to improve the personnel.

Window isn't closed yet, lets see if Raul & Edu buy what we NEED this time, [ Instead of nice fowards to BE EXCITED about ]

I'm More concerned that there's no Deadwood heading OUT!

Lol!!

You are forgetting that a club cannot move on players if they don't want to go! So all the will in the world won't shift Mustafi, for example, if he does not agree to being sold
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:02 am

theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Take the average of Unai's last 5 games, you speng. Unai - 1.218. Arteta - 1.262. AND - averaging out xGs is not what PnG's comment is about. Its about having a greater xG than the opposing team in any given game and games under Arteta we are having a higher xG than the opponents more often - hence PnG's comment.

Why would you? Population size does not have to be equal, you "speng". Only taking the last 5 of unai is just manipulating statistics.

Under unai this season we have had a higher Xg goals than arteta. This cant be twisted, its a fact.

The only stat that matters though is the pts/game. Im interested to know that ratio of both managers.

Why would you? Because Emery was sacked because of the results leading up to his sacking you pleb. Or don't you remember when half the forum were sucking each other's dicks when we were 3rd after 8 games!!

Those of us with a modicum of common sense foresaw we would drop down the league because we were playing shit but were getting lucky results. So if you want to compare apples with apples you have to compare Emery's last 5 games with the only games Arteta had managed - his first 5 - to see if Arteta is an improvement over sacked Emery.

Or is Sam Allardyce the best England manager in history because he has a 100% win rate?!!

How hard is it for you to write a post without trying to insult people?

Weve played good and bad this season under emery. By just taking the last 5 of emery, which is probably the worst weve had in the last years you are totally manipulating statistics. Taking the total of emery this season is a much fairer comparison. The only reason this is not happening is because it shows that the Xg of emery is higher than mikels, which hurts peoples feelings so its ignored.

I like Mikel, the guy is saying the right things and i have no doubt that weve become a bit more compact(the Xga shows this too as mentioned before). But that doesnt mean our Xg hasnt dropped since he took over. I believe we are safricing(not sure how this is spelled lol) attacking/creativity for defensive stability, which is fine with me as long it gets us results. And so far, with 1 win in 5, this is not happening.

Todays game is huge for us, we need a good result as we have all seen how incredibly toxic our players can become once things does not go our way.

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 am

Dejan wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

How hard is it for you to write a post without trying to insult people?

Weve played good and bad this season under emery. By just taking the last 5 of emery, which is probably the worst weve had in the last years you are totally manipulating statistics. Taking the total of emery this season is a much fairer comparison. The only reason this is not happening is because it shows that the Xg of emery is higher than mikels, which hurts peoples feelings so its ignored.

I like Mikel, the guy is saying the right things and i have no doubt that weve become a bit more compact(the Xga shows this too as mentioned before). But that doesnt mean our Xg hasnt dropped since he took over. I believe we are safricing(not sure how this is spelled lol) attacking/creativity for defensive stability, which is fine with me as long it gets us results. And so far, with 1 win in 5, this is not happening.

Todays game is huge for us, we need a good result as we have all seen how incredibly toxic our players can become once things does not go our way.

You could argue that but taking the average of a bigger sample size manipulates the stats. It doesn't make sense to look at the average of 15 vs 5. It makes more sense to look at our last 5 games under Emery vs Arteta's first 5 because we're trying to see if there has been progress since taking over. It doesn't mean that Arteta is a better manager than Emery because he's not. He's unproven and this is his first club.

But so far, our xG has improved under Arteta weather you want to compare averages on the Emery's last 5 games or even his first 5 games of the season. We've reduced our opponents xG and the same applies on averages over the course of Emery's season in charge, last 5 games or first 5 games. Or even if you want to compare head to head stats for teams both managers have played against when comparing our Bournemouth, Man U, Palace and Sheffield games. But at the end of the day we need more time with Arteta to see what he can. The overall results aren't there yet but hopefully we get there soon.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44 pm

I can already see the exasperation on Mikel's face from when he first stared.

As I said ........ these aren't Cities players who you can give an instruction to and not only are they good and determined enough to carry it out but they also feel the heat of competition from the squad.

Mikel's going to really have to get his project in full swing because the board won't back him with players good enough to threaten the starting places of the likes of Lacazette etc.

He needs to arrange this squad so every position has two decent players, there are too many players who have no one to push them for a place.

When Laca got pulled off for Nketiah his face said it all "Are you serious??" if Eddie is Lacazettes competition we're in more trouble that we thought.

LB, RB are the only positions where we have competitive starters .......... and even that is hamstringed by injuries.

You could say ST but as we use our strikers over ST and RW / LW then even that is diluted down.

Also and the worst of all, look how many positions we have where the back up are the kids, even though he has a bit of talent do you think Saka invokes fear for the likes of Liverpool or Spurs?
Even Everton have senior replacements, all we have is a 1st 11 and then the kids ............ its pathetic.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:13 pm

LMAO wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Your getting emotional with this silly response

You really should learn to read what you wrote. Keyword: this (i.e., the post you responded to).

How have I contradicted myself with bringing up China? Bringing it up is absolutely relevant because you were the one throwing a fit about China getting ready to buy all this talent even though it's a shit league, yet you also just claimed Arsenal won't be able to buy good players this summer without CL. However, Arsenal is in a better city and in a better league than any CSL team, and has money to spend. So, please explain how you reached such an asinine conclusion. Is it so hard for you to admit that sometimes you don't know what you're talking about and are speaking out of your ass, or is your ego that fragile?

*after, not when

Lol wow. This is an truly epic meltdown.

The absence of replies shows people like me feel bad for you right now but as you said. Glass houses, stones etc....

The reason that you mentioning China was ridiculous and totally irrelevant is simply that we are competing against 5 of the the top 6 clubs who have all been better in performance over the last 5 years, all bar United are better run clubs than we are and these clubs will be able to attract players to their teams over us. Not to mention Barca, Real, Atletico, Juventus, PSG, Inter, Bayern and BVB.

The China discussion was about how the CSL's spending power would disrupt the european transfer network and it will hurt the 3rd tier clubs like Marseille, Valencia, Ajax, Benfica, Roma, Monchengladbach teams who have Champions League football usually but cannot compete with the wages of the elite clubs and Chinese so guys like Hulk, Oscar, Johnathan Viera, Bakambu, Carrasco and Pelle are pissing about in China rather than adding to the competitiveness is a financially bankupt Europe.

Again, everyone could see how stupid and irrelevant your point is to that we will be in a very weak position to sign the players we need this summer, just like what's happened to AC Milan over the last 7-8 years.

LMAO wrote:Yeah, yeah, all this humble pie crap. Continue to bring it up all you want. If I'm wrong about us having moved up the table by the end of March, then I'll eat my humble pie and move on with my life. But, at least I'll own up to it unlike you who still hasn't admitted you were chatting shit about us finding ourselves in a relegation battle (and about the CSL becoming a top league and turning Europe on its head in the process).

No cap, you seem like a sad dude who gets off on some strange pseudo-intellectualism. Also, learn proper spelling (like the difference between your and you're that you constantly get wrong). It might make your pseudo-intellectualism a little more tolerable.

HotHead was right. You're not worth it. Bit like playing chess with a pigeon.

Awww. Well at least your little tantrum is over now, sadly you have exposed your own elitist mentality over others who disagree with you. That's the real pseudo-intellectualism happening here, like you showed with the humble pie post, you really think your better than others so I called you out.

I'm here because I love Arsenal my team for life and i have the balls to say what's on my mind and debate on whatever is happening with our club and that's it.

I always admit when I'm wrong, its an important part of life. The pseudo-intellectualism bit really made me laugh, again exposing your own ego, you underestimated me and others you disagree with and your scrambling around trying to save face but you just ended up having a total meltdown.

Karma hurts. That's why i always stay objective and on point no matter how much i wrote :)
Last edited by elkanofan on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Dejan I find it very difficult to not insult people, not gonna lie.

I am not manipulating anything. When we call Wenger shit do we take into account his period of greatness?! No we don't.

Emery ended the season badly so I put it to you that if you take that into account we were shit under Emery for most of 2019. Im saying compare the last 5 games because you can see like for like - same players playing within weeks of playing under the previous manager, that's an apples and apples comparison.

As for whoever made the argument against xG, what it tells you is the number of actual goal scoring opportunities created, not half chances. Based on that and the number of actual goals we have scores/conceded, you can see how well we have actually done in games.

Did we boss possession but have few shots on goal and fewer still real goal scoring opportunities? Or did we miss a hatful of good chances? Were our shots speculative or nailed down chances?!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Power n Glory wrote:You could argue that but taking the average of a bigger sample size manipulates the stats. It doesn't make sense to look at the average of 15 vs 5. It makes more sense to look at our last 5 games under Emery vs Arteta's first 5 because we're trying to see if there has been progress since taking over. It doesn't mean that Arteta is a better manager than Emery because he's not. He's unproven and this is his first club.

But so far, our xG has improved under Arteta weather you want to compare averages on the Emery's last 5 games or even his first 5 games of the season. We've reduced our opponents xG and the same applies on averages over the course of Emery's season in charge, last 5 games or first 5 games. Or even if you want to compare head to head stats for teams both managers have played against when comparing our Bournemouth, Man U, Palace and Sheffield games. But at the end of the day we need more time with Arteta to see what he can. The overall results aren't there yet but hopefully we get there soon.

It's true you could PnG but Emery had lost the players in the last few games, they had downed their tools, so any manager would have seen an upturn in that sense.

Whilst there's been more energy and some improvement in areas, I'm personally very underwhelmed, results have been poor and also some of his decisions hae been odd, taking off Lacazette for Nketiah in the last match for example, I also thought in our last match we reverted back to form and played with the same lack of energy as we did before and our play wa very predictable.

I'm not expecting miracles, but the sides we've played are not exactly top quality teams (other than Chelsea), with the players we have we should have won more, it's all very good saying we had more energy, were more organised, but where are the results to show for that.

There's not a lot of point to it if you don't win your games, even against Leeds a lower division side we only played for 45 minutes, tonight will be interesting, Arteta can't really afford another defeat, he really needs a win.

If the club brought the right man in, then he should be able to turn it around, or certainly improve our fortunes, whilst we're not a great team we do have better quality players than some of the teams we've played and should have beaten them.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:26 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:You could argue that but taking the average of a bigger sample size manipulates the stats. It doesn't make sense to look at the average of 15 vs 5. It makes more sense to look at our last 5 games under Emery vs Arteta's first 5 because we're trying to see if there has been progress since taking over. It doesn't mean that Arteta is a better manager than Emery because he's not. He's unproven and this is his first club.

It's true you could PnG but Emery had lost the players in the last few games, they had downed their tools, so any manager would have seen an upturn in that sense.

Whilst there's been more energy and some improvement in areas, I'm personally very underwhelmed, results have been poor and also some of his decisions hae been odd, taking off Lacazette for Nketiah in the last match for example, I also thought in our last match we reverted back to form and played with the same lack of energy as we did before and our play wa very predictable.

I'm not expecting miracles, but the sides we've played are not exactly top quality teams (other than Chelsea), with the players we have we should have won more, it's all very good saying we had more energy, were more organised, but where are the results to show for that.

There's not a lot of point to it if you don't win your games, even against Leeds a lower division side we only played for 45 minutes, tonight will be interesting, Arteta can't really afford another defeat, he really needs a win.

If the club brought the right man in, then he should be able to turn it around, or certainly improve our fortunes, whilst we're not a great team we do have better quality players than some of the teams we've played and should have beaten them.

I wouldn't say any manager. We had Freddie in the job and we drew to Norwich, lost to Brighton and drew against Everton and Liege but the loss to Man City was expected. In terms of xG on attack, we were worse but statistically there was an improvement over Emery looking at the oppositions xG but Arteta has still done better than Freddie against tougher opponents and during the Christmas period.

It's really early to judge and there are good and bad things with Arteta. He's not as bad as a Freddie and I'm still annoyed at Freddie's team selection, openly blaming Kolasinac for a mistake that should fall on Freddie for not getting his player ready quick enough for a sub and airing out stuff that should have stayed in house because he just added to the toxic environment with that approach.

On man management, I think Arteta has came in with the right approach. I'm happy with what he's doing tactically, he's handled himself in the press well....my main criticism comes back to picking Xhaka all the time and his subs. Other than that it's just the results that are disappointing. Chelsea will be a hard game but I think the next 6 games are winnable. Bournemouth(FA Cup), Burnley, Newcastle, Olympiacos (UL) Everton and Olympiacos at home. If we don't start picking up wins in these games we can start to panic.

If it turns out that we've made a blunder with Arteta, the attention has to turn to Raul Sanhelli.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk