Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:14 pm

England got really lucky in both tournaments, all the top sides with the best players literally collapsed and didn’t perform so their side of the draw was pretty straightforward

England played Germany but this was a Germany side schooled by France and minutes away who could only draw with Hungary, Germany under Lowe were finished after the last World Cup, they kept him on and paid the price, it’s the price you pay for keeping a manager too long, something Arsenal is guilty of and doing again with Arteta.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:28 pm

Whilst Germany were far from what we've seen in previous years;

1) They were not schooled by France, if anything they were the better team but conceded an unfortunate OG. France were also the favourite so doesn't say much anyway.
2) They destroyed Portugal in the second half, also one of the favourites for the tournament.
3) Yeah shit vs Hungary but clawed through.
4) Odd way of dragging our current manager in for no reason lol.

Otherwise agree, yes England did have a fairly easy route in both tournaments. Not like they didn't hold their own in the final against the team in the best form during the tournament though.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:47 pm

Santi wrote:Whilst Germany were far from what we've seen in previous years;

1) They were not schooled by France, if anything they were the better team but conceded an unfortunate OG. France were also the favourite so doesn't say much anyway.
2) They destroyed Portugal in the second half, also one of the favourites for the tournament.
3) Yeah shit vs Hungary but clawed through.
4) Odd way of dragging our current manager in for no reason lol.

Otherwise agree, yes England did have a fairly easy route in both tournaments. Not like they didn't hold their own in the final against the team in the best form during the tournament though.

That's the whole aim of the discussion for some.

It's the whole aim of half the discussions on here. Only a matter of time before we get a thread in the politics forum, "Arteta responsible for world famine."
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:12 pm

Oh I forgot this isn’t a thread about Arteta, my mistake.

My point is that clubs/countries that keep a manager on when things aren’t working pay the price, France have done the same with Deschamps, they have the best squad but an awful manager so unless they get lucky they’ll get dumped out of the next tournament as well. You guys advocate keeping someone on when it’s not working but it just causes more damage in the long run, your best bet is to get rid as soon as possible and find someone else if you want to progress and get success.

Chelsea have done it very successfully, you guys might not like it but it works and for me it’s preferable to watching a manager having a car crash and then giving him another go and then sitting through another car crash summer!

As for Germany vs France, I watched the match and France were by far the better sides, they had a couple goals ruled out as well and really were much better than Germany.

The only decent game Germany played was against Portugal, they got really lucky to make the knockouts, Hungary almost knocked them out.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:26 pm

I was buying some bananas the other day in Sainsburys and I thought these are a bit expensive. We should never have hired Arteta. I said right from the word go, don't go to Sainsburys and expect a decent price on fresh fruit & veg whilst he has the job. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. If we had someone else -anyone else - there's no doubt that the price of bananas and even apples would be much more competitive.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:10 pm

Got to love the never Artetas fault brigade.

As for England, far better than we used to be even if I'm not entirely happy with Southgate. Couldn't give a shit who we face and beat either. Not our fault better teams can't get that far to face us.

In other words, Arteta out.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:19 pm

Özim wrote:Oh I forgot this isn’t a thread about Arteta, my mistake.

My point is that clubs/countries that keep a manager on when things aren’t working pay the price, France have done the same with Deschamps, they have the best squad but an awful manager so unless they get lucky they’ll get dumped out of the next tournament as well. You guys advocate keeping someone on when it’s not working but it just causes more damage in the long run, your best bet is to get rid as soon as possible and find someone else if you want to progress and get success.

Chelsea have done it very successfully, you guys might not like it but it works and for me it’s preferable to watching a manager having a car crash and then giving him another go and then sitting through another car crash summer!

As for Germany vs France, I watched the match and France were by far the better sides, they had a couple goals ruled out as well and really were much better than Germany.

The only decent game Germany played was against Portugal, they got really lucky to make the knockouts, Hungary almost knocked them out.

If it was so easy to get to a final, then the so-called wonder gods of France would have done it.
They got beaten by Switzerland.
If England are lucky, then France are just sh*t (especially their defence, by the way, which was utter crap in that game - including the demi God Varane.. who we missed out because of Arteta, of course).

Bottom line is that England got to the final and the improvements in the fortunes of our national team is down to the player development that was started in earnest nearly a decade ago, both at Premier League level and the FA.
All the crap being hurled at the England national team is purely down to the fact we signed Ben White and , of course, he has to be crap because Arteta signed him.
I am sure if his name was Benjamin Whitinho and we'd missed out on his signing we'd have missed out on a superstar and it would have been all Arteta's fault too.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:28 pm

Phil71 wrote:I was buying some bananas the other day in Sainsburys and I thought these are a bit expensive. We should never have hired Arteta. I said right from the word go, don't go to Sainsburys and expect a decent price on fresh fruit & veg whilst he has the job. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. If we had someone else -anyone else - there's no doubt that the price of bananas and even apples would be much more competitive.

:lol:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:29 pm

Özim wrote:As for Germany vs France, I watched the match and France were by far the better sides, they had a couple goals ruled out as well and really were much better than Germany.

CBA with the rest but then we have very different views on football. France just sat back for the entire game after the OG and offered nothing.

Neither were particularly impressive but overall Germany were the ones trying to take the game to France (no surprise being 1-0 down).
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:24 pm

This window and pre-season has secured that I'll be Arteta Out firmly and forever.

No chances now, why? because absolutely nothings changed and he's deluded, he doesn't even want change, Xhaka new contract, Bellerin new contract.

No new faces in the starting 11, same formation ........... same BS

He literally thinks there's nothing wrong with a team who finished 8th.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:30 pm

Santi wrote:
Özim wrote:As for Germany vs France, I watched the match and France were by far the better sides, they had a couple goals ruled out as well and really were much better than Germany.

CBA with the rest but then we have very different views on football. France just sat back for the entire game after the OG and offered nothing.

Neither were particularly impressive but overall Germany were the ones trying to take the game to France (no surprise being 1-0 down).

Technically France were the best team at the tournament and should have won it.

Why didn't they? Because for the most part they're a bunch of self-entitled prima-donnas who think they just have to turn up.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:37 pm

No they didn’t win it because they’ve got a terrible manager.

You’d be amazed the impact having a bad manager can have, France should have sacked him, sadly they kept him on.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:23 pm

If our only other first XI signings are Maddison and Ramsdale then I can't see Arteta still being in charge in December.

I hope i'm wrong and we're fighting for top four but just can't see it.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:29 pm

Özim wrote:No they didn’t win it because they’ve got a terrible manager.

You’d be amazed the impact having a bad manager can have, France should have sacked him, sadly they kept him on.

Nah, they were just crap in the game vs Switzerland.
After thinking they'd won they decided to preen and got their asses kicked out of the tournament.
Being a great player and a great team also involves character, something the French players in the their national team lack.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:32 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:This window and pre-season has secured that I'll be Arteta Out firmly and forever.

No chances now, why? because absolutely nothings changed and he's deluded, he doesn't even want change, Xhaka new contract, Bellerin new contract.

No new faces in the starting 11, same formation ........... same BS

He literally thinks there's nothing wrong with a team who finished 8th.

It will be a great season if the same team put together a full season of the form they've shown since Christmas.
That said - we already have one new starter in ben White. He'll start 30 games plus this year.
Sambi is likely to start quite a few games too given Partey's injury record.

You're boxing yourself into a corner saying 'Arteta Out firmly and forever'.
What if we have a good season?
I think we will, by the way.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk