Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm

Angelito wrote:Lads, just keep calm and trust Mikel.

Like 'In Arsene we Trust"?
No time for that. Make the changes fast, start winning, or get lost.
We should not have patience with any manager or any player - we're past that.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:44 pm

yeah i cant believe liverpool didnt sack klopp after finishing 8th and losing the europa league final to a man who became the worst manager in our history
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 pm

Auba would have signed for more money, just like every other player. At the time, and pretty much right up until Ramsey got injured, Top 4 and a good EL finish were both very realistic. West Ham got Dmitri Payet to sign an improved deal 7 months after signing him. Of course he left 12 months later, but the club doubled their money on the sale.

As for Ramsey's deal, is there anything conclusive to say Emery killed it? He started Ramsey in plenty of games, and he appeared in almost every PL game until his injury.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm

A lot of people here are missing the point.

If Arteta is making the right decisions, playing the right players, playing a formation suited to the players, improving our defence etc ........... what more can a manager do?

If they're still not winning then its the players, simple as that.

Until Mikel starts making decisions I disagree with (which is why I turned on Emery) then no other manager could do any better without refitting the team, something the board won't do.

Mikel has his style of play, he has his formation, he has his expectations, now all we need is to back him with getting rid of who can't cut it and get him a few players he wants and we'll be fine.

Stop acting like clueless children, there is no quick fixes to building a winning culture at a club which was devoid of it for a year solid and where the board won't just buy the manager a new team unlike City etc.

............. when / if Arteta starts making stupid decisions or allows crap performances from players etc then I'll have an issue, but so far I like everything he's doing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:A lot of people here are missing the point.

If Arteta is making the right decisions, playing the right players, playing a formation suited to the players, improving our defence etc ........... what more can a manager do?

Until Mikel starts making decisions I disagree with (which is why I turned on Emery) then no other manager could do any better without refitting the team, something the board won't do.

Mikel has his style of play, he has his formation, he has his expectations, now all we need is to back him with getting rid of who can't cut it and get him a few players he wants and we'll be fine.

Stop acting like clueless children, there is no quick fixes to building a winning culture at a which was devoid of it for a year solid and where the board won't just buy the manager a new team unlike City etc.

............. when / if Arteta starts making stupid decisions or allows crap performances from players etc then I'll have an issue, but so far I like everything he's doing.

what a rational post

shame theres two posters who are like this on all matters mikel

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:38 pm

Sims wrote:yeah i cant believe liverpool didnt sack klopp after finishing 8th and losing the europa league final to a man who became the worst manager in our history

Arteta says hi
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 pm

Ah I see. I fell for the WUM'ing again. Should have known not even you 2 or 3 could be that stupid...………….but then again. :think:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Angelito wrote:Lads, just keep calm and trust Mikel.

Like 'In Arsene we Trust"?
No time for that. Make the changes fast, start winning, or get lost.
We should not have patience with any manager or any player - we're past that.

In Arsene, we will always trust. Say what you want, his work from 07-13 is even more impressive looking at the inexperienced youngsters and shower of shit we mostly had, and the way we were financially impoverished.

It's not Arteta's fault that Buffoon#1 Gazidis and Buffoon#2 Sanllehi thought that they knew Arsenal more than Wenger did and ended up hiring Unai Emery—destroying our cohesion, style, and mood all of this after Gazidis and Sanllehi spent £200m for him.

Arteta isn't going to turn us into title challengers in a month. Not after 30 months of disaster at Arsenal.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:30 pm

aniym wrote:Auba would have signed for more money, just like every other player. At the time, and pretty much right up until Ramsey got injured, Top 4 and a good EL finish were both very realistic. West Ham got Dmitri Payet to sign an improved deal 7 months after signing him. Of course he left 12 months later, but the club doubled their money on the sale.

As for Ramsey's deal, is there anything conclusive to say Emery killed it? He started Ramsey in plenty of games, and he appeared in almost every PL game until his injury.

I thought the deal was on the table and Emery pulled it. He tried to play Billy big bollocks - like he did by alienating Ozil - and it backfired. He then had to reintroduce Ramsey and beg Ozil to come back and play for him.

Emery was a f***ing speng.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:32 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:A lot of people here are missing the point.

Stop acting like clueless children, there is no quick fixes to building a winning culture at a club which was devoid of it for a year solid and where the board won't just buy the manager a new team unlike City etc.

Simply put, :clap:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Also had to deal with a lot of injuries and lack of form of important players we thoy would carry us through. Example, Holding, Bellerin, ( injuries, loss of form), Laca, and really pains me to say Ozil, past his prime now. Another stupid decision he has live with is loaning out Mikhi, an experienced player, who could come very handy in current situation.
Our biggest problem isn't defense really.
It is the midfield. You would expect on a normal season, 5-6 midfielders ( regulars as well as bench players) would contribute about 30-35% of the goals ( in a 55 game season, say out of 110-120 goals, 70-80 comes from forwards , about 30-35 from midfielders and 5-10 from defense.
But currently, Xhaka, Guen, Ozil , Torreira contributes null, zilch. Willock and Saka have scored an odd goal here and there but essentially , the problem squarely is in the middle. They neither defend well nor attack or link up the defense w/ attack.
We really need a decent experienced CM to improve the current situation.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:33 pm

I agree, our defense was getting over-exposed, the systems Emery employed and Wenger, were shite and never addressed it. Thats why I am so pleased with what I can see Arteta trying to do so far, that should've been the first thing Emery did - fix our defending.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby yadunoe » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 am

he has good tactics and man management but like all coaches he can only go so far with the players he has
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:52 am

yadunoe wrote:he has good tactics and man management but like all coaches he can only go so far with the players he has
Please give examples of those good 'tactics' and 'man management'.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:35 am

Tony Adams wrote:
yadunoe wrote:he has good tactics and man management but like all coaches he can only go so far with the players he has
Please give examples of those good 'tactics' and 'man management'.

We have a rigid structure in place with a compact defence without the ball.

With the ball we shift into a 2-3-5 formation with AMN tucking into midfield and being able to help pressure and prevent any counter attacks once the ball is lost

Our LB becomes part of a front 5 when we’re on the front foot with Xhaka dropping in the zone he vacates

Lucas Torreira has been played in his natural position and is the first option to receive the ball from the CB’s

Otherwise David Luiz pushes up and tries to find Ozil in between the lines in space as with Kola/Saka & Pepe hugging the touchlines it forces the opposing team to free up space in the middle of the pitch

Players average positions are rigid and part of a coherent system

Man management:

Reassuring Xhaka and enabling him to play at some level until he eventually leaves in the summer - he is now our second best deep midfielder

Has the players already fawning over him and buying into all his methods - despite this being his first managerial job
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk