Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby FARM » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 pm

So its 1 win in 6 games in the premership with Arteta, got to be worst start of any manager in Arsenal history surely?. He won't make it too May at this rate.
Chickens, Turkeys, Pigs and Lambs, and more on my farm. Plenty of livestock to feed the masses. Come visit my farm, don't be a stranger.
FARM
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby KG3 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:38 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Really starting to think as I said before Arteta got here, I think we could be good playing that 4-1-4-1 Leicester type of play.

Thats twice now with 10 men we've looked better with two compact banks of 4.

When we play 4-2-3-1 we always look ponderous and disjointed.

I'd like to see us try a 4-3-3 with Torreira as the CDM and two 8's after all it's not like Ozil is performing these days
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:57 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Really starting to think as I said before Arteta got here, I think we could be good playing that 4-1-4-1 Leicester type of play.

Thats twice now with 10 men we've looked better with two compact banks of 4.

When we play 4-2-3-1 we always look ponderous and disjointed.

Yup, at least in defense. I've been saying all season that we have the players to play like a poor man's Mourinho's Madrid. Drop Ozil for Ceballos and play a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 instead. When Auba comes back, I'm in favor of dropping Laca for a couple games and putting Auba at ST and Martinelli out wide. At least against the big sides, we can play route one counterattacking football with the speed we have and get some cheeky results.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:37 am

I can confirm that debating with Elkopubber is not worth it. He never admits he is wrong, he moves the goalposts to suit his angle and he writes chapter and verse of nonsense I don't have the time or interest to respond to. He "outlasts" people in an argument/debate.

On the odd occasion he doesnt write a 10,000+ word thesis that interests me I do respond. But for the vast majority of time he is telling everyone he is a tactical student of the game and a higher authority than everyone else and telling us that Ozil is shit. Yaaaawn.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:50 am

theHotHead wrote:I can confirm that debating with Elkopubber is not worth it. He never admits he is wrong, he moves the goalposts to suit his angle

West Ham matchday thread ;)

theHotHead wrote:he writes chapter and verse of nonsense I don't have the time or interest to respond to. He "outlasts" people in an argument/debate.

On the odd occasion he doesnt write a 10,000+ word thesis that interests me I do respond. But for the vast majority of time he is telling everyone he is a tactical student of the game and a higher authority than everyone else and telling us that Ozil is shit. Yaaaawn.

The saddest thing about your response is you are just annoyed with me regarding our disagreements on Ozil and you just ended up as you do with every single other poster when you disagree with them start throwing insults like a child. I mean your still defending Ozil now even after than sideways nonsense yesterday.

I'm more than happy to 'outlast' people staying on topic at all times than just do what you and LMAO do which is throw childish insults when you can't say anything. :)
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Like I said to another poster, I don't start shit, I just finish it. If people get bright and call me a name I will call them names back. Standard. Don't start nuttin - won't be nuttin.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 pm

I feel like he's building something good here and giving us an edge we haven't had for a long time. However I felt like that after a couple months of Emery too, and that didn't turn out well. So of course the jury is still out. He needs players, and we all know this. The ball is in Raul and the ownerships court.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Lets recall Emery's impact after a couple of months, we were on an unbeaten run, playing the shittest football ever in the first half of games with him fielding under strength starting lineups. Then inevitably we would concede first and battle to a draw or victory in the second half once our key players were introduced to the game. Some of the time we were bloody lucky, most of the time our football was shit - but we accepted it because we were not being beaten. A handful of us questioned Emery's tactics and said we couldn't sustain the luck.

The difference I see, the main difference, between Arteta and Emery is, we look like we have a shape and a plan, we have improved as a team defensively too, we never had that at any time with Emery. Given time I expect our performances to improve and be more consistent.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:29 pm

The trouble with the performances is they aren't bringing results, 7 points out of 18 for a guy people are likening to Guardiola is a poor return. Without results performances mean nothing.

Yes there's been some changes, but what have those changes actually achieved? Not an improvement in results unfortunately, we're not better off in the table either, so there's something he isn't getting right.

As I said for me, we have plenty of pace, the logical approach is to try and use it, seems to me Arteta wants to bring back the Wenger style which basically wastes our strengths.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm

We didn't have a shot of any kind in the first half for the first time since 2015. Imagine if that was an Emery side, we'd never hear the end of it.

Football isnt better. Results aren't better. Not much to be optimistic about
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Özim wrote:The trouble with the performances is they aren't bringing results, 7 points out of 18 for a guy people are likening to Guardiola is a poor return. Without results performances mean nothing.

Yes there's been some changes, but what have those changes actually achieved? Not an improvement in results unfortunately, we're not better off in the table either, so there's something he isn't getting right.

As I said for me, we have plenty of pace, the logical approach is to try and use it, seems to me Arteta wants to bring back the Wenger style which basically wastes our strengths.

Stop and listen to yourself for one minute ! You are complaining that a new manager that joined the club during a crisis with players low on confidence and seemingly not knowing if they are coming or going - has had 6 games and is not smashing the league ? Are you for real ? The same players in the same dressing room that has been in chaos and turmoil !!!

No, the performances are not bringing results YET, but give the guy a f***ing chance bloke ! He has hardly had a chance to work with the players. We have all seen an improvement in our play, more energy, more desire, all that needs to happen is the repetition of practice to manifest itself and we will reap the benefits of the training. Its only a matter of time, if people can't see that then they are blind.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Ach wrote:We didn't have a shot of any kind in the first half for the first time since 2015. Imagine if that was an Emery side, we'd never hear the end of it.

And yet under Arteta we do NOT have a negative goal difference !! Or a half empty stadium ......
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:48 pm

theHotHead wrote:Stop and listen to yourself for one minute ! You are complaining that a new manager that joined the club during a crisis with players low on confidence and seemingly not knowing if they are coming or going - has had 6 games and is not smashing the league ? Are you for real ? The same players in the same dressing room that has been in chaos and turmoil !!!

No, the performances are not bringing results YET, but give the guy a f***ing chance bloke ! He has hardly had a chance to work with the players. We have all seen an improvement in our play, more energy, more desire, all that needs to happen is the repetition of practice to manifest itself and we will reap the benefits of the training. Its only a matter of time, if people can't see that then they are blind.

It was hardly a crisis, yes we were playing poorly but we we still mid table, we weren't in the bottom 3, stop exagerating. Yes they were low on confidence, so were Everton who were below us, it hasn't stopped Ancelotti winning games though, likewise Pearson,if you're a good manager you get results, Arteta in 6 games have managed 1 result, you can sugarcoat it anyway you like but any manager with a start like that would be criticised, it's poor, we're not asking him to smash the league, but winning some games would be nice.

We have a bit more energy, in parts of some games, he's also making plenty of mistakes that are plain to see to anyone but the most blind Arsenal fans, his performance so far has been no better than average, sorry, we haven't moved up the league at all, we haven't been winning games, we haven't been playing well for more than 45 minutes in games and to be honest the football is average, he needs to improve big time, like I said considering the sides we've played, the new manager enthusiasm that players get and the players we have he should have won some of the games he's been in charge of, no question.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:48 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:We didn't have a shot of any kind in the first half for the first time since 2015. Imagine if that was an Emery side, we'd never hear the end of it.

And yet under Arteta we do NOT have a negative goal difference !!

That's really clutching at straws, we've got a +1 goal difference, it's not far from being negative.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby diesel » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Of course as Arsenal fans we are desperate for improvement, weve been spoilt by wonderful teams and success in recent times (although some of us lived through the shite of the mid 70s and 80s) and we have also seen the new manager bounce of Ole, Pearson, Ancelotti etc but weve got to trust that despite no amazing early bounce weve recruited the right man, we trust in him and with the right backing we will get back to where we all all to be. Those posters who talk about the energy and spirit on the pitch and the atmosphere in the stands home and away are right. These things are important and they are better. I am not blindly devoted to arteta but there are better signs and if we and the board buy in to that it could be a rebirth
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk