Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Is this the final season of Mikel Arteta for us ?

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:41 am

Arteta is a nice bloke to have around but people are forgetting the 2 basic points

1] Will Arteta stay if we do not offer him a new contract in the summer especially at his age?

2] Will Wenger offer him a new 2 year deal this summer with Arteta turning 32 and his legs fading?

So practically speaking i can't see him sticking around if we do not offer him a new deal also i don't see Wenger offering a new 2 year contract this summer which Arteta most likely wants.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:22 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Nice try Sherlock.

That was last season before Flamini was even here and Arteta had that position all to himself all season so hence he picked up a bunch of prime stats.

Just found the amount of times they are dispossessed per game:

Arteta 0.4 Prem, 0.8 CL,
Flamini 0.5 Prem, 1 CL

There you go, Watson
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Angelito » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:09 pm

ThereIsBearCüm wrote:Jesus, the odd poor game and the knives are already out. Heaven help him if he actually hit bad form.

This.

Sims wrote:f***ing love Arteta. Him and the **** are the sole reason why we finished in the top four for the last 3 seasons. He really deserves a big send off and hopefully that send off will be a major trophy.

Yep.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GSK_AFC » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:45 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
Plymöuth Gööner wrote:I don't think he offers as much defensively as Flamini.

He has more tackles and interceptions per game.

Doesn't matter, Flamini had more completed passes than Arteta in the first Napoli game but would you rate him better in passes?

Flamini is the better defensive player.

But more passes doesn't mean your a better passer. Tackles and interceptions are direct evidence on how well you defend.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GSK_AFC » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:46 am

Massa wrote:Only thing Flamini has on Arteta is his engine, allowing him to get into attacking positions more often. Arteta obviously superior.

You were using your big games argument before Arteta went on to destroy Liverpool and Dortmund.

Flaminis engine is overrated relative to Artetas aswell. Arteta may be losing his legs but still consistently covers a lot of ground every game.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 am

Flamini has been so overrated by Arsenal fans. Guess still not over that midfield of 2008.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Or he's just filling the role we've all asked to be filled since 2008. The guy's come in for free and done a pretty good job, organises the team well with his constant talking, people do seem to like to go the opposite way and shoot players down for no reason. I don't see anybody parading him as Claude Makelele MKII.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Myrmedus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:44 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:

Doesn't matter, Flamini had more completed passes than Arteta in the first Napoli game but would you rate him better in passes?

But more passes doesn't mean your a better passer. Tackles and interceptions are direct evidence on how well you defend.

I ain't fussed about the argument itself but this isn't necessarily true.

There's different ways of defending and a player who plays more of a contain/pressing defensive game may very well get less interceptions or tackles but provide a greater defensive benefit to their team.

Stats can only be used directly to what they relate ie. if someone has alot of tackles, you can say they're a good tackler. Lots of interceptions, they're a good interceptor. Going the extra step and saying they defend well because of these stats is a conclusion.

Anyone who finds this post pedantic I understand, I'm not picking on GSK's post specifically, it's just I see alot of aimless stat throwing on these forums sometimes and wild conclusions drawn.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Myrmedus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Angelito wrote:Flamini has been so overrated by Arsenal fans. Guess still not over that midfield of 2008.

Personally I think his presence and Mertesacker's emergence are the prime reasons for our success this season.

Beforehand we lacked communicators. It's not something you'll see in the player stats at all but it's no less vital.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GSK_AFC » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Myrmedus wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:

I ain't fussed about the argument itself but this isn't necessarily true.

There's different ways of defending and a player who plays more of a contain/pressing defensive game may very well get less interceptions or tackles but provide a greater defensive benefit to their team.

Stats can only be used directly to what they relate ie. if someone has alot of tackles, you can say they're a good tackler. Lots of interceptions, they're a good interceptor. Going the extra step and saying they defend well because of these stats is a conclusion.

Anyone who finds this post pedantic I understand, I'm not picking on GSK's post specifically, it's just I see alot of aimless stat throwing on these forums sometimes and wild conclusions drawn.

For what it's worth I don't think stats tell the whole story but still tell you quite a lot depending on which stats you are interpreting.I'd take stats over some peoples opinions who let bias get in the way.
I agree there are different ways of defending but without stats and from watching games I wouldn't particularly say Flamini is much better than Arteta at containing/pressing.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:35 pm

No.

I love 'Teta too much. No Homo.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby ClockEnd Mark » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Did`nt want "The Dark Knight" in the first place. Totally shocked when we got him, and lets be honest, we would`nt have if we did`nt get humiliated.
ClockEnd Mark
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Callum » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:13 pm

It's difficult to suggest how much of a decline a player will have when they get into their early thirties but as far as I'm concerned Arteta has had a good season so far and I certainly wouldn't want to see the back of him in the foreseeable future. He deserves a huge amount of credit for his part in getting this squad through some extremely challenging times in the past two seasons and he's the sort of player you want to have around in the dressing room. His performance levels are usually pretty consistent and he was immense in games against Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund back in November.

I would eventually love to see him replaced in the long-term by someone like Pogba or Verratti but for the time being he is a valued member of the first-team squad and an important part of the way we play.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:30 am

I've personally preferred Flamini to Arteta this season. I've said that Arteta has been too slow on and off the ball the entire season. And last night, I was scared out of my mind thinking about Ramires' against Arteta.

And then he bossed it. I don't think he was dispossessed once in that game. Pleasantly surprised.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:47 pm

He was too slow to catch Lampard after letting him go and almost cost us a goal though.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk