Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:53 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:I don’t think we can take much from yesterday’s game, we were playing a bunch of part timers, these are the kind of games you usually win easily.

What we’ve seen is that against decent sides we’re toothless, yesterday’s game doesn’t disprove this, it took us 42 minutes to score, that’s pretty poor to be honest.

You we can't take much from the game but you have taken something from the game. If we smash them in means nothing but struggle to score or lose and you'll take note of it.

I guess, but that’s the nature of the game, you can’t play teams on this level and not expect to win at a canter, the quality and financial gulf is huge, the bigger teams have nothing to gain and plenty to lose in games like this.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:54 am

Is it a confidence boost though?

How many of these players that started v pubbers will start v Man Utd?

That's why I wanted us to play the big players.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:57 am

Ach wrote:Is it a confidence boost though?

How many of these players that started v pubbers will start v Man Utd?

That's why I wanted us to play the big players.

I think any win is a confidence boost, you win as a club and lose as a club. If we lose to Dundalk last night, do you think the media circus wouldn't have affected those who didn't play?

I think any win gets the club back on track and then the guys who come in on Sunday will feel better that the losing run was halted and hopefully they can get another win.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Man U hammered Leipzig 5-0 in the CL if any team will get a confidence boost it’s them.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Picked up cavani in the draft. Hasn't scored for Man Utd yet. Would be a good time to.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:10 pm

Santi wrote:Well I think what he meant was that there wasn't anything to disprove what we've already seen in recent games anyway, so even if you were to take something away from it, it wasn't really any better.

End of the day we got the win, scored a few goals and rested a few players. Doesn't mean anything for Utd other than a bit of a confidence boost, let's hope it helps.

I think you guys are talking more about the result in terms of what it proves and shows.

But for those talking about formations and shape, we have an example of what it looks like to dominate possession and see the spaces players occupy when we have that much possession. We held the ball in the final third more, way more touches inside our opponents box, shorter passing distances, more connected and not as disjointed. Of course we played a poor team but at least shows a bit more of Arteta's attacking philosophy in more ideal circumstances.

Like the Leicester game, I'd have serious concerns if I still saw a very conservative approach. Could have been a game where Elneny and Willock stayed deep and just kept playing the ball back to Xhaka so he could try to spray passes over the top to wingbacks.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:11 pm

Özim wrote:Man U hammered Leipzig 5-0 in the CL if any team will get a confidence boost it’s them.

For sure, they'll have more confidence than us but better we build ours up with any win rather than come into it on 4 awful games in a row.

Plus Utd had a great result against PSG and then played out an awful game with Chelsea last week so hopefully they used up all their energy again. I think our big game strategy is a good counter to how they like to play anyway.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:I don’t think we can take much from yesterday’s game, we were playing a bunch of part timers, these are the kind of games you usually win easily.

What we’ve seen is that against decent sides we’re toothless, yesterday’s game doesn’t disprove this, it took us 42 minutes to score, that’s pretty poor to be honest.

You we can't take much from the game but you have taken something from the game. If we smash them in means nothing but struggle to score or lose and you'll take note of it.

Point is - we shouldn't be struggling against teams like that. It SHOULD be that we batter teams like that. The fact we have been just as poor against better sides tells you we have a problem.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:10 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Point is - we shouldn't be struggling against teams like that. It SHOULD be that we batter teams like that. The fact we have been just as poor against better sides tells you we have a problem.

It wasn't a struggle. It was an easy game. They posed no threat and our kids beat them comfortably. Can you not tell the difference between this game and our last few against Leicester, Rapid and Man City?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:13 pm

We played the same way as we did against them. It was enough to win this game against literal pub players but as we have seen it fails in the games that matters this season.

Was a great opportunity to try out something different as we were always winning this game so performance mattered. We didn't get it.

Same old shit.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Ach wrote:We played the same way as we did against them. It was enough to win this game against literal pub players but as we have seen it fails in the games that matters this season.

Was a great opportunity to try out something different as we were always winning this game so performance mattered. We didn't get it.

Same old shit.

No we didn't. As said, if this were the same approach as what we did against Leicester City, you'd have seen the CB's (Xhaka) spraying long passes over the top to the wingbacks to try and create chances. You wouldn't have seen Willock anywhere near the box if it was the same approach.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:22 pm

It's more the pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass chance to shoot but let's pass pass pass pass pass chance to take on player but pass passpass pass pass crap we do every game.

That's why Pepe stood out yesterday and Nelson a bit. They tried something different and for that neither will start v Man Utd.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Ach wrote:It's more the pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass chance to shoot but let's pass pass pass pass pass chance to take on player but pass passpass pass pass crap we do every game.

That's why Pepe stood out yesterday and Nelson a bit. They tried something different and for that neither will start v Man Utd.

What do you them to do? Pick up the ball and bounce it? :rolleyes: foh
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:It's more the pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass chance to shoot but let's pass pass pass pass pass chance to take on player but pass passpass pass pass crap we do every game.

What do you them to do? Pick up the ball and bounce it? :rolleyes: foh

No, just take more shots and take more risks in passing the ball FORWARD.

The amount of sideways and backwards passing we do is ridiculous.
Arteta seems to have made Wengerball even more boring - which I thought impossible.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Be creative. Don't pass for the sake of passing.

Plenty of games in the past, players rather pass sideways and backwards than take the more riskier option. This was Dundalk though and we failed to send a message to other clubs to take us seriously.

We're going out as soon as we face a decent team. Or even olympiakos level team and as for the league, we'd all take top 12 right now. Not a forgone conclusion though
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk