Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm also hoping that he hasn't just boxed Partey into a defensive midfielder category because it was so disappointing seeing how Arteta set the team up against Leicester when Partey played. None of the play went through him and distribution went outside of him and over the top!

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/amp/news/ars ... opcx4bh7eq

He has said himself that he wants to attack more and he's more than capable so give him more responsibility.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Jedi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Dejan wrote:Yes. Alot better aswell.
Wolves, crystal palace, westham, aston villa and southampton are above us ffs. You think they have a better team then us?

We have a -1 goal difference ffs

Grealish and Ross Barkley would walk into our first team and Villa had a net spend of 80 million in the summer.

Other than them none of those teams have a realistic shot at finishing above us unless there's a meltdown of epic proportions. And Wolves are currently behind us.

Power n Glory wrote:Arteta has never managed before. We set the bar pretty low on this one. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but I believe Ancelotti, Mourinho or Rodgers would have gotten something more out of this team. It's not as if Arteta hasn't had two transfer windows either. The players he's vouched for have been garbage.

That's an entirely different argument. Perhaps these managers would've brought different players that could perform better, but I'm strictly speaking about whether something can be done to see a big improvement with the current squad.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gooney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:05 pm

Power n Glory wrote:I'm also hoping that he hasn't just boxed Partey into a defensive midfielder category because it was so disappointing seeing how Arteta set the team up against Leicester when Partey played. None of the play went through him and distribution went outside of him and over the top!

He has said himself that he wants to attack more and he's more than capable so give him more responsibility.

Arteta is spanish and anyone who follow spanish football knows how the spanish views black midfielders. They did it to even yaya toure.....luckily for partey this clown will be gone soon
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Nuggets » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:56 pm

gooney wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I'm also hoping that he hasn't just boxed Partey into a defensive midfielder category because it was so disappointing seeing how Arteta set the team up against Leicester when Partey played. None of the play went through him and distribution went outside of him and over the top!

Arteta is spanish and anyone who follow spanish football knows how the spanish views black midfielders. They did it to even yaya toure.....[b]luckily for partey this clown will be gone soon[/b]

:pray: :pray:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:56 pm

gooney wrote:

Arteta is spanish and anyone who follow spanish football knows how the spanish views black midfielders. They did it to even yaya toure.....luckily for partey this clown will be gone soon

I hope Arteta isn't that narrow minded because we're missing a trick if we don't trust him on the ball more. He's more than just a powerhouse defensive player.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Dejan wrote:
Jedi wrote:
gooney wrote:
Rockape wrote:Let’s face it, Arteta was a gamble which looked like it had paid off when we won the FA Cup and have looked so much more coherent in defence this season.

Now he has serious work to do to get the team firing and deserves some time to achieve that. However, if there’s no improvement by the end of the year, then we need to look elsewhere.

I agree with this. I would give him until end of the year and it’s not even about result. If he can’t show improvement in our attacking play. He needs to go. We could have stolen the Leeds game if saka scored. But would that change anything? There are serious problems which shows unless something changes we will fail guaranteed.

Do you think a different manager could do better with this current roster? I don't think so.

I don't think the coaching or the tactics are the problem here. I think It's the recruitment, which has been awful for a couple of years. Since Wenger left, we've lost Wilshere, Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Mkhitaryan. That's 5 offensive minded creative midfielders. Who did we replace them with? Ceballos? And Besiktas reject Elnenny?

This squad doesn't have a single creative midfielder that's top 4 quality. How could you expect anything other than what we're seeing right now?

Yes. Alot better aswell.
Wolves, crystal palace, westham, aston villa and southampton are above us ffs. You think they have a better team then us?

We have a -1 goal difference ffs

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

We can't for the way some people want him to play and to which he's caving into.

We actually don't have a better team for midfield offense than Leeds or Aston Villa, no one in our midfield is as good going forward as Grealish.

If we played the Atletico model or even went back to Arteta's 3-4-3 we'd be better off than what we saw against Leeds and Leicester, that's even despite the Villa thrashing but that the whole team switched off for the entire game that day.

The best we've looked was against Utd using our CM's to bully them and hit them on the flanks.

Its not difficult, just add up the team.

CM - Partey, Ceballos, Xhaka, Elneny

CAM - Willock

Wingers - Pepe, Willian, Saka, Nelson

Strikers - Auba, Laca, Nketiah

There you have it, our outfield team (all but defenders), that is our team, read it and weep, there is no space there at all for fancy passing, midfield creativity, none.

That is a team of wide players and solid deep CM's, so again, Atletico's 4-4-2 or 3-4-3.

That's the only way we're better than other teams, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 is not the one.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:39 pm

gooney wrote:

What does that matter when Arteta has not so much as kicked a ball in Spain since 2005?

You are the only one on this board obsessed with the stereotype of a big black combative midfielder.

If Arteta can't get his marquee signing to perform, it's his job on the line, not Partey's.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Though we would've looked better with Partey in midfield yesterday, Arteta desperately needs to bring in a creative midfielder or two (that fit his system) during the winter window.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:04 pm

LMAO wrote:Though we would've looked better with Partey in midfield yesterday, Arteta desperately needs to bring in a creative midfielder or two (that fit his system) during the winter window.

So he could do that (which won't happen, I don't think we have much of a budget left).

Problem is ...........

He's paying one right now £350k to not play.

If he's going to switch formations he'll actually need at least 2 top CAM's not just 1.

What's he going to do with the other players who'll be benched?

Laca, Auba, Willian, Pepe, Saka ......... two will be benched.

That's without Martinelli when he's back, Nelson and Nketiah.

This is why it's not happening and may not even happen next summer either imo.

Now if he had kept Ozil and bought Aouar ................
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:30 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:Though we would've looked better with Partey in midfield yesterday, Arteta desperately needs to bring in a creative midfielder or two (that fit his system) during the winter window.

So he could do that (which won't happen, I don't think we have much of a budget left).

Problem is ...........

He's paying one right now £350k to not play.

If he's going to switch formations he'll actually need at least 2 top CAM's not just 1.

What's he going to do with the other players who'll be benched?

Laca, Auba, Willian, Pepe, Saka ......... two will be benched.

That's without Martinelli when he's back, Nelson and Nketiah.

This is why it's not happening and may not even happen next summer either imo.

Now if he had kept Ozil and bought Aouar ................

Sell Laca in January to fund a midfielder. Finish the season with Auba, Eddie, and possibly Martinelli at CF/ST.

Sell Pepe too and cut our losses. Bring in a second midfielder who can also deputize on the wings a la Nasri or Cazorla. That leaves Saka, Willian, Nelson, Martinelli, and the versatile signing for the wings. I would say Willock or ESR could fill that versatile role, but I'd rather them go on loan.

If Arteta goes with a 4-2-3-1, that's

Versatile Signing - Creative Signing - Saka
Auba

with Martinelli being eased back in, Eddie as backup to Auba, and Willian and Nelson as backups on the wings. It's more likely to happen in the summer, but Arteta and Edu need to make it happen if this season is to be salvaged.

I don't see Ozil being brought back with only 6 months left on his contract.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:57 am

^ Way too many "if's, buts" and moving parts to that plan.

What's going to happen is no ones getting sold in January and we're not getting a top CAM till at best next summer.

The issue there is in the mean time, Arteta needs to have gotten his system minus the CAM's sorted way before summer because if he doesn't, Stan's not going to give him money anyway.

If Arteta doesn't figure this out pronto then his lack of a clear philosophy which is the danger with rookie managers means its come back to bite us in the arse.

Arteta is reacting out of fear and pressure, not from a philosophy, Klopps taken beatings at Liverpool now and again ......... he doesn't restructure his whole formation after one defeat, or two, or even three.

The fact that Arteta keeps trying to play a formation which includes a CAM, yet he doesn't have one in the squad, is highly concerning to me.
He's breaking down here and its not a pretty sight and we're just papering over cracks because he doesn't believe in a Defend / Counter philosophy ......... but that's what the players he has would be good for.

Simeone would have this team challenging for top 6 imo.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:52 am

Let's face it he hasn't got a fooking clue, the cheap option didn't work out we got what we paid for I am not surprised, I am more surprised that a lot on here thought he would be a good manager. We need to sort this mess out ASAP and get a decent manager, We will be fighting to keep off the bottom not get into the top 4.
Nuggets

Postby Angelito » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 am

Somebody please show Arteta this.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 am

Ahh the sight of one touch football and one twos.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:03 am

Angelito wrote:

Somebody please show Arteta this.

:clap: :clap:
Nuggets

PreviousNext