Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:08 am

aniym wrote:The lack of a new manager bounce has been disappointing, but also shows that it wasn't Emery holding the team back. We're seeing the same lack of commitment and inability to see games out, even under a manager the players reportedly like.

I'm more sympathetic to Arteta now because I do believe he's trying to get the most out of his squad. But he needs to push for a clear out in the summer, no ifs, no buts. Understandably he can't do that now given our threadbare squad. But if he can't make his voice heard and push to sign players in the positions we need, we'll have years of this kind of unstable football to look forward to.

Looool, how can you say it was not Emery holding the team back? He was f***ing useless!! Arteta coming in and improving our shape and play in just 3 weeks and a handful of training sessions proves that Emery was a useless waste of space.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:22 am

Emery EPL 2019-20 - Played 13 and attained 18 points
Arteta EPL 2019-20 - Played 4 and attained 5 points

How is that an improvement?

Whilst I see a couple of payers putting in a bit more effort, a couple more have actually looked worse ... overall nothing much has changed, we rely almost entirely on Auba to score, our midfield still gets run over by an aggressive opposition and our defence can't go 45 minutes without a catastrophic error.

The real problem is you don't know for even a 25 minute period which team is going to turn up, the confident fast counter attacking side or the ponderous two yard passing side, the dominating possession side or the one where the ball become a bar of soap, cool heads or utter lunacy ... you just never know.

Whilst in just a few weeks none of this can be blamed on Arteta it's also fair to say nothing much has changed, points wise we've not even seen a new manager bounce.

Arteta deserves a full 18 months and time to reshape the squad, but to pretend he's made any significant change to this mid-table squad, delusional.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:07 am

theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Wtf is xG?

Something no one uses other than Arsenal fans and only then to support a dying cause.

We can all see not much if anything has improved under Arteta but but xg

No - you and a couple of other numpties can't see any improvements - because you don't want to see them, helps you continue to be a wum.

If you want to keep living in cloud cuckoo land go ahead.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Dejan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 am

EliteKiller wrote:Emery EPL 2019-20 - Played 13 and attained 18 points

Whilst I see a couple of payers putting in a bit more effort, a couple more have actually looked worse ... overall nothing much has changed, we rely almost entirely on Auba to score, our midfield still gets run over by an aggressive opposition and our defence can't go 45 minutes without a catastrophic error.

The real problem is you don't know for even a 25 minute period which team is going to turn up, the confident fast counter attacking side or the ponderous two yard passing side, the dominating possession side or the one where the ball become a bar of soap, cool heads or utter lunacy ... you just never know.

Whilst in just a few weeks none of this can be blamed on Arteta it's also fair to say nothing much has changed, points wise we've not even seen a new manager bounce.

Arteta deserves a full 18 months and time to reshape the squad, but to pretend he's made any significant change to this mid-table squad, delusional.

Post of the month tbh. Fully agree.

Though i fully expect us to get better by each match. So im sure wed match the 18 points of emery (were f***ked if now)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:10 am

Jedi wrote:
Ach wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Wtf is xG?

Something no one uses other than Arsenal fans and only then to support a dying cause.

We can all see not much if anything has improved under Arteta but but xg

Well tbf it worked very well when it predicted Emery would fall apart while you were saying things like:

Ach wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Ach wrote:Results are more important wouldn't you say?

We're getting them despite not playing that well. third is within our grasp. Would've taken this.

Yes, that's what i was saying last season... But then our bad performances caught up to us and the meltdown of epic proportions happened and we ended up being 5th despite being favorites for 3rd due to our relatively easy set of fixtures (on paper).

I can only hope the same doesn't happen this season.

Agreed but last season we still had the stench of cancer from the previous regime. This season we are much tougher. Bar the Watford calamity, we have been comfortable in most games. Lost to Liverpool I know which is understandable but I no longer watch our games as a nervous wreck.

Comfortable today

Up to third and with 3 of our defenders coming back from injury after the break and hopefully Laca as well, it's a great time to be a gooner.

Loooooooool

Looks like the most dangerous place to be for cripps is this forum :rofll:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:15 am

EliteKiller wrote:Emery EPL 2019-20 - Played 13 and attained 18 points

Dear god, because it’s about the performances not the points.

Emery had a year to get who he wanted and set this team up before the period youre comparing to Artetas first weeks as a manager ever. Nevermind we’ve played united and Chelsea in those first four games

On the pitch it’s been better than under emery, clear as day. Needs to extend over a full 90 mins (tbh 60 would be nice enough for now) and eventually over a full season but there has been a clear improvement. Swear the only people suggesting otherwise were those weirdly in love with Unai the dog.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:23 am

It amazes me people are harping on about improvements, looks at the points we've picked up, looked at where we are in the table, look at how much closer we are to the CL spots and look at whether we turn up for 45 minutes or a whole match.

Yes of couse there's been some differences, there always will be with a new manager coming in with different ideas and usually there's an upturn in results as well (which at this point is very negligible), but overall we still are pretty poor, take Auba out (and we need to now as he'll be banned for 3 games thanks to Arteta getting him to do things he's no good at) and we'd be in real trouble.

I admit Torreira has improved a lot, but that's simply because he's playing in his natural position, something almost the whole fanbase could see was needed and that Emery wouldn't do.

Luiz has been decentish but has got away with the same misjudgments he wasn't getting away with before, so it could have been very different, as I said he should be in midfield replacing Xhaka.

Other than players chasing more and the odd decent move for a goal and some of that good old passing sideways we've loved so much under Wenger (can't believe we found another manager who wants to play that way rather than to our strengths) there's been little change.

Personally I'm not impressed and I don't like his support for players like Xhaka which some pretend he has to do, but the truth is he rates the guy, he wanted him at Man City (thankfully for City Guardiola is a better judge of talent), has showered praise upon him and plays him every match (again though it's a disgrace this guy has been allowed to walk back into the team after what happened and 4 years of awful displays).
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 am

I hate that c*** Xhaka but he’s been one of our better players over the last month.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:30 am

Santi wrote:I hate that c*** Xhaka but he’s been one of our better players over the last month.

That's not saying much to be honest, his tackling is still shocking and he's still painfully slow. People keep saying he'll be sold in the summer etc, but there's zero evidence of this, in fact quite the opposite Arteta seems to be indicating he'll be integral to his team with everything he says and does, what's more Arsenal fans will just accept it when really this guy should be gone (something people originally wanted in January).
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Zanatos3 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Özim wrote:It amazes me people are harping on about improvements, looks at the points we've picked up, looked at where we are in the table, look at how much closer we are to the CL spots and look at whether we turn up for 45 minutes or a whole match.

Yes of couse there's been some differences, there always will be with a new manager coming in with different ideas and usually there's an upturn in results as well (which at this point is very negligible), but overall we still are pretty poor, take Auba out (and we need to now as he'll be banned for 3 games thanks to Arteta getting him to do things he's no good at) and we'd be in real trouble.

I admit Torreira has improved a lot, but that's simply because he's playing in his natural position, something almost the whole fanbase could see was needed and that Emery wouldn't do.

Luiz has been decentish but has got away with the same misjudgments he wasn't getting away with before, so it could have been very different, as I said he should be in midfield replacing Xhaka.

Other than players chasing more and the odd decent move for a goal and some of that good old passing sideways we've loved so much under Wenger (can't believe we found another manager who wants to play that way rather than to our strengths) there's been little change.

Personally I'm not impressed and I don't like his support for players like Xhaka which some pretend he has to do, but the truth is he rates the guy, he wanted him at Man City (thankfully for City Guardiola is a better judge of talent), has showered praise upon him and plays him every match (again though it's a disgrace this guy has been allowed to walk back into the team after what happened and 4 years of awful displays).

You Just Know...if a Decisive Manager Like Carlo Anceloti, or FranK Lampard took the helm at Arsenal, [ not that i wanted any of them! ]

They would have been decisive & BEFORE they even entered the club, the Stadium, they would have their people

determine who are the worst players statistically at the club & Sit them on the Bench till January, Out the window & in with New quality

[ As Lampard has done to Old Man Giroud, with No apologies, No indecision, No Clean Slate & 2nd Chances... He knew Tammy could do

everything Giroud can & MORE, Not afraid of Player Power, Head of Football Squabbles etc, He Knows Giroud is SLOW & OLD

& his only skill is being Tall & Strong on 1SPOT with his back to goal!

Tammy can do All of that BETTER, With Pace, Dribbles, also good at Headers etc...

If any one of those guys got the helm at Arsenal, Xhaka would have been Benched & GONE Already in the Window,

From his stats as SLOW, Error Prone player, 7+ errors leading to goals conceeded for Arsenal since his came & that stat was from early last season

I hope Arteta grows in common sense & does the right thing in January, I was really hoping to be rid of Xhaka by now.
Zanatos3
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby elkanofan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:38 pm

Özim wrote:It amazes me people are harping on about improvements, looks at the points we've picked up, looked at where we are in the table, look at how much closer we are to the CL spots and look at whether we turn up for 45 minutes or a whole match.

Very fair points.

The big difference i have seen and why i support is Arteta wants to focus on one style which suits the ethos of our club. I still like Emery but his assortment of different tactics confused the players and annoyed much of the fanbase who want sexy football.

But i want to be positive now. Ozil pissing me off has drained me enough as it is. I see many mistakes and a disaster coming with Arteta too but i know its all about how we as fans unite and out pressure on the board to make changes because the issue is we lack quality on certain areas whatever the tactics used.

The biggest thing we lack right now is actually a creative midfielder. You can be a possession based to team without creative midfielders who can dribble and make passes for assists along with score the odd goal. I just hope Ceballos returns with vengeance since we could really do with him at the very least.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:03 am

Its because you have the patients of a 5 year old.

We're at the start of a project to get this club back on track, its going to take time, he's still working with the same players, he hasn't even had a transfer yet.

As for these results your harping on about .............. "Arsenal haven't won a game since October, their worst run since 1975" Arteta took over, we have two wins and unlucky draw in our last 3 games.

There's your results difference since Emery so please pipe down ffs.

Arteta has brought in higher standards and expectancy into the team, played one formation so we can begin to perfect it and play our game, put players in their best postions, starting our best players.

.......... we had none of that under Emery, so there's the improvement also.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:52 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

We're at the start of a project to get this club back on track, its going to take time, he's still working with the same players, he hasn't even had a transfer yet.

As for these results your harping on about .............. "Arsenal haven't won a game since October, their worst run since 1975" Arteta took over, we have two wins and unlucky draw in our last 3 games.

Arteta has brought in higher standards and expectancy into the team, played one formation so we can begin to perfect it and play our game, put players in their best postions, starting our best players.

It's way too early to be comparing Arteta to anyone TBH!!

Wait until the end of next season and we can determine his worth tbh.

However, His biggest problem (outside of the complacency which exists at boardroom level is the complacency and attitude of many of the senior players. The attitude of many of them is questionable at best and stinking at worst.

Go through the palace game and watch the lack of leadership across the team, the basic mistakes made during the game and the "couldn't be arsed" attitude of older more experienced players. That needs to be addressed and resolved as a matter of urgency or it will seep into the AMN, Martinelli group of players.

Arteta is no mug and has learnt from some of the best managers in world football both as a player and a coach.

I am very optimistic that, if he can address the negative self indulgent attitude of some of the senior players and get them off their arses, the team will improve hugely as a result.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 am

greengoonerie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

However, His biggest problem (outside of the complacency which exists at boardroom level is the complacency and attitude of many of the senior players. The attitude of many of them is questionable at best and stinking at worst.

Go through the palace game and watch the lack of leadership across the team, the basic mistakes made during the game and the "couldn't be arsed" attitude of older more experienced players. That needs to be addressed and resolved as a matter of urgency or it will seep into the AMN, Martinelli group of players.

Arteta is no mug and has learnt from some of the best managers in world football both as a player and a coach.

I am very optimistic that, if he can address the negative self indulgent attitude of some of the senior players and get them off their arses, the team will improve hugely as a result.

That's because we as a club and fanbase are making this harder than it needs to be.

If a player doesn't have the right attitude then what should we be doing ...................?

How many managers are we going to let some of our players burn before the obvious answer is acted on?

If a player was at Liverpool or Barca and wasn't performing the player would get benched and then moved out of the club.
Our problem is we keep trying to get a Ford Fiesta to out perform a Ferrari and wonder why we keep getting it wrong, you can do a bit of fine tuning, improve the handling, even stick a turbo on it, but in the end its not going to beat the Ferrari.

We need to get rid of any player who's not up to level, if not we're going to keep getting issues, managers can only do so much, they can't turn water into wine.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

That's because we as a club and fanbase are making this harder than it needs to be.

If a player doesn't have the right attitude then what should we be doing ...................?

How many managers are we going to let some of our players burn before the obvious answer is acted on?

If a player was at Liverpool or Barca and wasn't performing the player would get benched and then moved out of the club.
Our problem is we keep trying to get a Ford Fiesta to out perform a Ferrari and wonder why we keep getting it wrong, you can do a bit of fine tuning, improve the handling, even stick a turbo on it, but in the end its not going to beat the Ferrari.

We need to get rid of any player who's not up to level, if not we're going to keep getting issues, managers can only do so much, they can't turn water into wine.

Very true.
That is why the summer transfer window is the real test of whether we are on the right track.
I think we can forget this window - whilst I would have expected Arteta to have identified the players we need to ship out, I can understand why he wouldn;t communicate it yet.
But in the summer, I would expect the biggest turnover of players in our history.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk