Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:13 am

Santi wrote:tbf he didn't say just drop auba for nketiah but hey people need to pick on someone right :)

Well ......... he did actually.

This was not one post, he's been saying Auba isn't good enough for 2 years.

He was said in a Match day thread that Nketiah should start ahead of Auba months ago, multiple people saw the posts and derided it at the time, so this denial that it was some made up claim is simply not true.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:16 am

I can’t believe some wanted Mourinho or Ancelotti over this man right here

He’s relegated that dusted prick over the road to playing 3 qualifying games against non-existent teams for the Europa League hahahahahhaa
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:22 am

Sims wrote:I can’t believe some wanted Mourinho or Ancelotti over this man right here

He’s relegated that dusted prick over the road to playing 3 qualifying games against non-existent teams for the Europa League hahahahahhaa

Good to see you posting regularly now after disappearing for 6 months as Arteta shit the place up.

Great win no doubt but don't forget, we won 3 of these in 2014-17 with a manager no one wanted then either. We didn't push on

Remains to be seen if we will with Arteta.

As for the 2 managers you named, Ancelotti got Everton safe easily which was the target and gave up last few games. Jose would be top 4 if results were only taken when he took over.

Right now we celebrate this win and rightly so. He's had a free pass this season. Hard work begins now
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:27 am

Ach wrote:
Sims wrote:I can’t believe some wanted Mourinho or Ancelotti over this man right here

Good to see you posting regularly now after disappearing for 6 months as Arteta shit the place up.

Great win no doubt but don't forget, we won 3 of these in 2014-17 with a manager no one wanted then either. We didn't push on

Remains to be seen if we will with Arteta.

As for the 2 managers you named, Ancelotti got Everton safe easily which was the target and gave up last few games. Jose would be top 4 if results were only taken when he took over.

Right now we celebrate this win and rightly so. He's had a free pass this season. Hard work begins now

Hahahahaha Hahahaha do one u nonce

Hahahahaha
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Jedi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 am

Santi wrote:In case anyone forgot we just beat two of the top 4 teams (one arguably the greatest team PL has ever seen) to lift this cup.The same squad of players who couldn't win a game for almost two months.

Arteta is doing class on the whole. He'll have less benefit of the doubt when he spends money to get his player of course, but so far he's done exactly what he bangs on about and that's lifting the spirit/belief of these players.

Yeah this is what I've been banging on about even when things weren't looking great under Arteta. People quickly forget how bad things were at one point. We were opening up "Relegation watch" threads, and rightfully so.

This were our last 15 games before Arteta:
L (1-0) - Sheffield (A)
W(3-2) - Vitoria SC (H)
D (2-2) - Crystal Palace (H)
L (5-5) - Liverpool U19 (A)
D (1-1) - Wolves (H)
D (1-1) - Vitoria SC (A)
L (2-0) - Leicester (A)
D (2-2) - Southampton (H)
L (2-1) - Eintracht Frankfurt (H) - Emery sacked and Ljungberg appointed interim
D (2-2) - Norwich (A)
L (2-1) - Brighton (H)
W(3-1) - West Ham (A)
D (2-2) - Standard Liege (A)
L (3-0) - Man City (H)
D (0-0) - Everton (A) - Arteta watched this one from the stands and took over after this

2 wins, 7 draws and 6 losses. One of the two wins vs EL farmers. This is what predated Arteta.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:47 am

Arteta hasnt even had a chance to get his own players yet and he deserves to be backed. Emery got 72m to bring Pepe in, its only fair Arteta gets the same treatment to prove himself further.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:54 am

Gooner_LK6 wrote:Arteta hasnt even had a chance to get his own players yet and he deserves to be backed. Emery got 72m to bring Pepe in, its only fair Arteta gets the same treatment to prove himself further.

Emery had no idea who Pepe was. He wanted Zaha.

If something similar happens with Arteta, where we splash big money on a player the manager didn't ask for, and then let go of players the mgr wanted to keep (Ramsey), then I expect a repeat of this season.

That's why I'm worried one of Emi or Leno will be sold. We have EL to fight for, IMO we need them both.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:00 am

Yeah, I honestly don't know how people could genuinely criticize Arteta even before this game. Even if you had doubts, it's clear we were playing with more structure and were an improved side from the final few months of Emery's reign which was, honestly, the worst state I've ever seen this team in. The fact he's gotten some of these performances out of this team, in the state we were in and with the pandemic situation thrown in, is seriously impressive. Winning the FA Cup is incredible given we had to beat Sheffield United away, City and Chelsea to do so.

It's going to take time but Arteta has shown he has the ability and ambition to get us back in the CL and, hopefully, competing for other trophies as well. He needs to backed.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 am

aniym wrote:
Gooner_LK6 wrote:Arteta hasnt even had a chance to get his own players yet and he deserves to be backed. Emery got 72m to bring Pepe in, its only fair Arteta gets the same treatment to prove himself further.

Emery had no idea who Pepe was. He wanted Zaha.

If something similar happens with Arteta, where we splash big money on a player the manager didn't ask for, and then let go of players the mgr wanted to keep (Ramsey), then I expect a repeat of this season.

That's why I'm worried one of Emi or Leno will be sold. We have EL to fight for, IMO we need them both.

Yeh, I dont think we will sell one of those goalkeepers, I hope, anyway. Leno getting injured is exactly why we need to keep both, it saves our backside, if Emi gets injured next season, god forbid.

Also true about the Zaha/Pepe thing, we need to let him Arteta work with the money, but there must be money on the table.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Gordon Bennit » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:44 am

Real baptism of fire with a squad which showed worrying signs of descending into near relegation territory then losing any momentum with the lockdown. Also, I know we won't, but lets not forget that Arteta actually caught the virus. Young, healthy and fit whatever, it had to take its toll, but somehow he managed to do enough to get the players (most of them) to buy into the pay cut and has now coached them to three hugely impressive victories as well as winning silverware in his first season.

Feel slightly ashamed to admit I didn't want him. I assumed he would be a 'Pep-Lite' and would crash and burn without a billion pounds here or there. Happy to be wrong and very happy for the man.
Good old Arsenal, we're proud to say that name
Gordon Bennit
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:23 am

For me another who was not sold on Arteta at all, but what started to win me over was the ability to look at the players he has and to play a formation and adapt tactics to those players, the playing a back 3 with the wing backs, and playing into chanels behind defences I rate highly. Tells me he knows how to win with what he has and let's remember he has not had a chance to get players he wants yet.
Aw was called the professor I think Arteta has at the very least shown he is worthy to sit in the seat of many great managers past and the future is alot brighter for it.
Sorry I doubted you gaffa
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LMAO » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:48 am

VCC wrote:For me another who was not sold on Arteta at all, but what started to win me over was the ability to look at the players he has and to play a formation and adapt tactics to those players, the playing a back 3 with the wing backs, and playing into chanels behind defences I rate highly. Tells me he knows how to win with what he has and let's remember he has not had a chance to get players he wants yet.
Aw was called the professor I think Arteta has at the very least shown he is worthy to sit in the seat of many great managers past and the future is alot brighter for it.
Sorry I doubted you gaffa

Welcome aboard the Arteta train :grouphug:

To add on to what you said, the players seem like they really enjoy playing under Arteta, even before the cup win.

A huge reason I and others on here like Ang and Sims wanted Arteta over the likes of Mourinho and Ancelotti was that Arteta was an unknown whom Pep and Poch fought over to become their assistant—Arteta could be great or he could be terrible versus getting a dinosaur of a manager. Arteta was the exciting option and I'm glad the club went in that direction after choosing the safe option in Emery. Though I'm glad Arteta didn't come in in 2018 because I think that extra year and a half under Pep provided him with a more solid foundation.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby starmandb » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:19 am

Callum wrote:
Ach wrote:seen us win the cup 9 times.

Next season I'll rank my top 10 in orde

how good was ted drake in the flesh?

Ted drake was 66 9 times ago when we won the fa cup
I was at that one liam brady was really that good
He is 64 now
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:28 am

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:
Callum wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote::goal1:

Emery who? Wenger who?

arsene wenger, the man who won 7 of the record 14 fa cups to arsenal's name

the man who brought arteta to arsenal

the greatest manager the club's ever had

arteta learned from one of the best (also pep thanks pep)

I agree that perhaps Wenger's last great signing was Arteta given he would be managing Everton now.

Nothing against Wenger and what he did for us, but we all know he stayed too long. I think Arteta will be a long term hire unless Barca or Madrid get in.

Cazorla
Ozil
Sanchez
Lacazette
Aubameyang
I take your point about now hav ing a connection with us as opposed to Everton
starmandb

Postby Zenith » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:55 am

Zenith