Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby ag6789 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:21 pm

I have seen the games with my own eyes and don't need your video.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:24 pm

Great being an arsenal fan right now, let’s hope it continues :)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:50 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Est83 wrote:I haven't hyped up these first two games at all, I just know that they're far from given results.

Having high expectations is great, and I can understand the frustration with us being so far from it. But from where we were, to where we are (again, I'm not talking results, I'm talking what you can see with your eyes, how we're playing), we've improved massively and are heading in the right direction.

We've got great players all over the pitch now, with plenty of depth, we're formidable in defence, full of youth, well organised, hungry, and now we have some real firepower up front... and still looking at additional players.

There are reasons to be happy and optimistic. Your choice to keep playing the hothead Grinch persona.

If you get upset and "triggered" by my posts thats your problem. We played 3 games and won 3 games against teams we should be beating, I said lets not get carried away, bigger tests are to come.

If that upsets you, I suggest you stop using internet forums

Nothing you say could ever get an emotional reaction from me cutiepie.

Like I said, your choice if your dated expectations leave you pissed off every weekend, and your choice to not see the clear improvements we've made.

Stress is killer. We suffer more in our minds than we do in reality... just tryin' to help you bro ;)

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Rockape » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:11 pm

Santi wrote:Great being an arsenal fan right now, let’s hope it continues :)

Indeed Santi and the last couple of PL results show just how well we’ve done so far. Great confidence builder to take us forward.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:13 pm

Est83 wrote:.

What if he called your missus a muff diver
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:14 pm

ag6789 wrote:Auba is a professional and it is his job to put the ball over the line. If he cannot do it from a few feet and open goal umpteenth time , what can any system do? Can't believe he was so spooked by the image of Arteta that he couldn't even toe poke the ball into the net. Besides, he was first name on the team sheet until a month before his departure and last but not the least, a fantastic contract was handed to him by Arteta and Edu not so long ago. So they must have trusted him as their main man at that point.

It’s not that simple, football is all about confidence and form, the very best players can go through spells where they miss left right and centre when confidence is low.

How a player is managed, how comfortable he is in the system and how well the system uses his strengths plays a very big part.

Arteta seems to want strikers that run around all over the place, this comes at the expense of goalscoring because they are busy chasing the ball rather than being in positions to score goals.

Jesus has started really well and I think part of that is he feels very confident being a regular, right now he’s chasing around and making runs and doing allsorts, I don’t think he can maintain that and I think as the season progresses he’ll run out of steam and his confidence probably won’t be as high either, both these things will affect his goalscoring, as could injuries due to the exertion of playing like this.

Even now he’s been very good but has scored twice in 3 games and those were both in one game, that’s despite him probably being at his very best.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 pm

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:My stance on Arteta has not changed, I still don't think he is good enough to take us where we need to be. Yes we have won 3 games in 3 but we have played teams nobody expected us to lose to, so stronger tests are ahead.

I am not convinced with Arteta in man-management, decision making or tactics. When I look at the problems we have had Arteta's solution is to buy his way out, I don't rate that type of management.

When we struggled offensively , when the entire offensive line struggled to score, Arteta was clueless as to how to fix it. Auba couldn't buy a goal, he goes to Barca and can't stop scoring. Laca couldn't buy a goal, he leaves Arsenal and has now scored in every game for his new club.

Surely that tells you all you need to know about Arteta! Yes we are on the right path but if you have a manager that is tactically inept, cannot get the best out of players and has to buy his way out of trouble/issues, that's not a sustainable plan for Arsenal football club.

Aubameyang hasn’t scored for 162 mins
In that time Xhaka martinelli and Saliba have scored and Arteta didn’t buy any of them

Not sure what point you are trying to make here :dontknow:

Aubameyang can’t stop scoring but he has stopped scoring long enough for arsenal to score seven who are now coached by arteta and three of the goals were scored by players he didn’t buy

If you are going to take everything literally every conversation will end up being pointless.

Rather than trying to be a clever clogs why not ingest the comments in the way you clearly know they were meant and stop being an ultra pedant.

Just being a supporter of arsenal
If you don’t want your comments challenged then hold them in your head
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:12 pm

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
NovaGB wrote:I'll carry on singing when we are winning and moaning when we are losing, simple as that.

If Arteta's team keeps winning then i'm all for him, if we go on crazy skids and not scoring etc like last year then i won't be all for him.

Cos results are all that matters at the end of the day, there is nothing more to it.

Yep. Have to enjoy it when playing well and getting 3 points. We've endured the misery for so long it's as if some have forgotten how to enjoy the win. It's been a really good start performance and points wise.

Its as if you have forgotten the last 3 seasons. Im not getting carried away, we have been here before and Arteta "Arteta'd" it!!!

Happy for the wins, of course but we have played 3 teams we should be beating 9 times out of 10. What narks me are the needless mistakes and doing well now doesn't excuse those stupid mistakes because Arteta has proven that he can and will make stupid mistakes.

A pragmatic approach from Arteta last season and we comfortably get top 4.

The most we have ever won at palace is 7 in 10 the last time was between 7th feb 1993 and 28th dec 2017
We have played 7 times at Bournemouth and won 4

All you have done is highlight how poor we have been in the past, so thank you. Just because we have under-achieved that doesn't make it acceptable. I am sure the bookies make us big favourites every single time against those teams.

That poor period between 1993 and 2017 when we won 3 league titles 8 fa cups a league cup and a cup winners cup

So you don't think Arsenal football club should be beating teams like Crystal Palace and Bournemouth and when we don't we were poor?!! Simple question. A club the size and stature of Arsenal Football Club with the resources we have.

Simple question.

Yes we should be beating Crystal Palace Leicester and Bournemouth but like everyone else we don’t always
That’s the premier league
If it wasn’t the case then it wouldn’t be worth playing the games
Just decide who should beat who and leave it at that
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:16 pm

UFGN wrote:The point is you can't always beat everybody (figuratively) because you can't have an outstanding season every season

But the point also is we haven't won the league for twenty f***ing years because of excuse laden managers and hand wringing fans who are quick to trot out excuses......

Eventually that outstanding season has to come. Eventually the excuse mongers in our fan base need to get onboard with a winning mentality.

You will never find an excuse from me
It drove me mad about wenger
Poor pitches poor refereeing tiredness etc etc
Deal with it and go out and win
However I reserve the right to enjoy a win
It’s what I go to football for
As serious as I take it
It’s leasure and a sport and I like being happy when we do well
starmandb

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:31 pm

starmandb wrote:
UFGN wrote:The point is you can't always beat everybody (figuratively) because you can't have an outstanding season every season

But the point also is we haven't won the league for twenty f***ing years because of excuse laden managers and hand wringing fans who are quick to trot out excuses......

Eventually that outstanding season has to come. Eventually the excuse mongers in our fan base need to get onboard with a winning mentality.

As serious as I take it

Nothing wrong with enjoying a win, and nothing wrong with enjoying a run of good form

But if you were to say to me you truly "enjoy a win" if it is the exception to the rule and we're doing badly overall at the time, I would challenge you on that. I know you understand the complexities involved and my comments are not aimed at you

They are aimed specifically at people with agendas other than the success of Arsenal Football Club. Man-children who have their pet manager or pet player and are quick to spin an excuse, or celebrate a win like it answers all their chosen deity's critics.

One eye should always be on the big picture at all times, and the club as a whole is all I support, and that's what I expect from others
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Est83 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:35 pm

UFGN wrote:
Est83 wrote:.

What if he called your missus a muff diver

I'd report him for the "muff diver" comment ;)

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:41 am

My main concern from day one is his lack of experience. This is very important when things don't go as planned. We have seen enough of this last season. Things fallen apart when more than two of his players could not play. This scenario hasn't happened this season yet. Let's hope we can get through this season with little to no injury and Arteta already has enough tricks to deal with it when things go wrong.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:04 am

UFGN wrote:
starmandb wrote:

As serious as I take it

Nothing wrong with enjoying a win, and nothing wrong with enjoying a run of good form

But if you were to say to me you truly "enjoy a win" if it is the exception to the rule and we're doing badly overall at the time, I would challenge you on that. I know you understand the complexities involved and my comments are not aimed at you

They are aimed specifically at people with agendas other than the success of Arsenal Football Club. Man-children who have their pet manager or pet player and are quick to spin an excuse, or celebrate a win like it answers all their chosen deity's critics.

One eye should always be on the big picture at all times, and the club as a whole is all I support, and that's what I expect from others

I see what you mean , not had a favourite player since George Armstrong when I was seven
I have an affection for players of the club past and present but my main interest is in how they service the club regardless of who they are.
Yes a win in isolation when things are not going well( ie Everton last day last season) I get it; the big picture
I still have some reservations regardingArteta. I would like to see the players showing more responsibility and less vulnerable to the vagaries of football ie stepping up when things aren’t going well
But the environment at the club has definitely changed for the better
Sometimes going to the emirates was like pulling teeth so tense was the atmosphere
However good Aubameyang could be he wasn’t good for arsenal anymore
Maybe that would have been indulged a little were he performing but he wasn’t the same with ozil
He went away and started scoring yes that can happen, on a much lesser scale we had a chap called lee chapman who scored everywhere he played but not at arsenal I know it’s different because overal Aubameyang was a success here
But to see him lauded when he failed to score against real valecano (twice) Mallorca elche Cadiz getafe while we are getting criticism for only beating who we are beating is a tad galling
We shall see if things have truly changed when we have a bad result but so far the signs are encouraging and I am too old not to enjoy that
starmandb

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:59 am

ag6789 wrote:I have seen the games with my own eyes and don't need your video.

Watch the video - you can ignore whatever evidence is provided to you that kills your argument but it makes YOU look silly. your entire argument hinges on the fact that Laca and Auba missed some sitters, well everyone misses sitters like I said, they are not the only ones.

Watch the video !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:08 am

Est83 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Est83 wrote:I haven't hyped up these first two games at all, I just know that they're far from given results.

Having high expectations is great, and I can understand the frustration with us being so far from it. But from where we were, to where we are (again, I'm not talking results, I'm talking what you can see with your eyes, how we're playing), we've improved massively and are heading in the right direction.

We've got great players all over the pitch now, with plenty of depth, we're formidable in defence, full of youth, well organised, hungry, and now we have some real firepower up front... and still looking at additional players.

There are reasons to be happy and optimistic. Your choice to keep playing the hothead Grinch persona.

If you get upset and "triggered" by my posts thats your problem. We played 3 games and won 3 games against teams we should be beating, I said lets not get carried away, bigger tests are to come.

If that upsets you, I suggest you stop using internet forums

Like I said, your choice if your dated expectations leave you pissed off every weekend, and your choice to not see the clear improvements we've made.

Stress is killer. We suffer more in our minds than we do in reality... just tryin' to help you bro ;)

Nah, thats just big talk from you. Its clear that stuff like this stresses you - hence why you think it is stressing me. I do this in my sleep, doesn't bother me in the slightest. And NO, you calling me cutiepie doesn't make you tough or cool or not bothered.

Mountain out of a mole hill, because I said i am not going to get carried away by us beating Leicester, Bournemouth and Crystal Palace LOOOOOOL
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk