Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby KG3 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:32 pm

This game was lost from the start really with Arteta and his dumb decisions.

1. Changing both centre backs in a big game, which showed today with Holding making a basic mistake for the goal.

2. Swapping Saka and Pepe when both of them have played better on opposite sides

3. Playing both Elneny and Xhaka two negative mids who don’t contribute much going forward, defensively they’re not exactly anything amazing either

4. Substitution where poor as usual we needed a goal and swapping Odegaard for ESR is pretty much like for like, we should be taking of one of Xhaka/Elneny and changing to a 3 man midfield with two 8s

5. As usual Auba is not a threat as a CF John stones looked like prime Maldini out there, Leeds game aside, he doesn’t offer much as lone CF, Lacazette isn’t perfect but his ability to hold the ball and link play is vital, especially against a side like city who will dominate possession.

6. Cedric had been our best attacking fullback since KT has been out, he should have been starting today at RB as Hector has been poor for far too long.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Needs more time. This summer is key. Lots of deadwood finally gone. Time to bring in some winners.

To think, some people on here have the AUDACITY to call for Don Mikel's head after advising us to appoint the likes of Jose, Nuno or Chris Wilder.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Power n Glory wrote:He's not gonna lose his job based off that result. It was Man City. It's the game on Thursday that's more important and a must win.

He should have lost his job already, 11 losses in the league, no chance of top 4, out of the Fa and Caraboa cups, only the EL left. Does anyone really believe he can pull that off?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:35 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Needs more time. This summer is key. Lots of deadwood finally gone. Time to bring in some winners.

To think, some people on here have the AUDACITY to call for Don Mikel's head after advising us to appoint the likes of Jose, Nuno or Chris Wilder.

This guy is a nothing manager, he just doesn’t know what he’s doing, doesn’t deserve another summer, we’d just be wasting another season.

How anyone can believe in this overhyped nobody is beyond me, he’s shows he’s totally clueless.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:38 pm

When he came in I didn't expect us to be challenging for top four for at least two years.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Every cheap goal conceded has chipped away at the facade of our 'defensive rebuild'. We've lost more games now than we had in 18/19 and 19/20.

By May, we'll have surpassed the 13 losses Wenger racked up in his last season.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Systematically taking away the last of anything good we had left.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:He's not gonna lose his job based off that result. It was Man City. It's the game on Thursday that's more important and a must win.

He should have lost his job already, 11 losses in the league, no chance of top 4, out of the Fa and Caraboa cups, only the EL left. Does anyone really believe he can pull that off?

Agree on that. If the Board cared about the league they'd have sacked him already. It's been quiet and I'm starting to think an early Europa League exit wouldn't be enough for him to lose his job. They're gonna give him time to build.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 pm

Özim wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Needs more time. This summer is key. Lots of deadwood finally gone. Time to bring in some winners.

This guy is a nothing manager, he just doesn’t know what he’s doing, doesn’t deserve another summer, we’d just be wasting another season.

How anyone can believe in this overhyped nobody is beyond me, he’s shows he’s totally clueless.

We're 6 points off Liverpool and Everton and 2 off Spurs.

Take away the FA horror shows (Wolves springs to mind) and individual brain farts (back to back red cards) and we'd be challenging for 4th.

He's made several mistakes but he's also got a lot right. I don't see who we can realistically get that would guarantee us better.

It's definitely not the likes of Jose, Nuno or Chris Wilder that some on here were calling for in the summer. Reminds me of the horror days when those same posters told us not getting Owen Coyle or Martinez 'would haunt us forever'.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Godlop » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:43 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:

Liverpool and Spurs are in awful form. Liverpool isn't sacking Klopp for obvious reasons and Spurs can't sack Mourinho because of his contract. Otherwise both clubs would probably get rid of their manager now.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:45 pm

Leicester City in the league next and we're 1 win out of 5.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Angelito wrote:
swipe right wrote:Jens Lehmann says he 'doesn't even know who is in charge' at Arsenal in brutal assessment of club structure under manager Mikel Arteta - and 'things were much better' in Arsene Wenger's final year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rteta.html

Obvs.

While I'm using the shiny shades of hindsight, we were never this awful under Wenger. And, most—including yours truly—was part of the Wenger Out brigade. :hiding:

starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:Jens Lehmann says he 'doesn't even know who is in charge' at Arsenal in brutal assessment of club structure under manager Mikel Arteta - and 'things were much better' in Arsene Wenger's final year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rteta.html

Wenger’s last season
Won 30
Drew 11
Lost 18
Arteta last 59 games
Won 31
Drew 11
Lost 17

Awwww.

So, Wenger's worst ever season is still the barometer. No wonder. One's the greatest ever, the other is just starting. Forget Wenger's best, we can't be unfair to Mikel by comparing him to Wenger's performance even during the austerity years.

Europa League or bust for the future of Arsenal.

The article is quoting Jens Lehman saying Arsenal were much better in wengers last season 17/18 than they have been
So how else do you measure?
I don’t see how losing 1 game more is much better?
I also don’t see how losing a league cup final to Man City 3-0 is better than beating them in a semi final and then going on to win the fa cup?
The jury is very much out on Arteta but diving in on every slight without digging down to see if it has any validity does sound a bit ambulance chasey

Jens compared Wenger's final season to Arteta's current season. He didn't talk about 15/16.

If you want to be rational, you should have compared their stats until this stage of the season, rather than bringing up Arteta's successes from the previous season.

FA Cup really?

We reached the League Cup final, the EL SFs—losing to a giant like Atleti by a whisker—and finished 6th in the League, having the second best home record and scoring a spectacular 74 goals in the season.

Want to be rational? Compare them up until now

If we're talking about FA Cups, Charlie—name a man who's won it more than Wenger? If we're talking about beating Pep's City in the SFs, and the Champions of the League in the final, Wenger's been there, done that. He did it in the preceding season, in fact. Just as you've brought it up.

Don't try and argue about everything or try and present stats without context, or paint a picture without proper brushes.

Sometimes, it's better to accept facts than post pointless stats; plucking out excuses like a child would.

I don't care about the jury's verdict on Arteta. He's Arsenal manager today. He has to deliver. Finding solace in useless comparisons isn't my thing.

Arteta has won more trophies than Wenger did in his first partial season as manager. Doesn't mean Arteta will revolutionize football or become Invincibles.

The parts highlighted especially. Another example of fudging the numbers.

'I was there as a coach in Arsene's final year and he was criticised and told it was time to leave.

'Things were much better in that final year than they are now.

'As a former player, I want the club to do well so it is hard to see them struggling as they are doing.'

Jen's has a point. It's been a terrible season but there isn't much pressure on Arteta. Compare to Wenger's last season where we were 6th, just beat Chelsea to the league cup final and won our first leg of the knockout stage in the Europa League comfortably. Wenger was under pressure at this stage in his last season.

Blame the Board. By appointing Arteta, a young coach during his first years of coaching, they've bought themselves time. He won't come under the same sort of scrutiny and pressure as an experienced coach. It's like Project Youth under Wenger but this time it's the coach and management staff.

The board put no pressure on wenger when he should have been sacked in 2011 and all those subsequent seasons
If he got a bit of heat in that final season then good
Anybody at the helm should be under pressure to be the best that you can be
As long as we was getting in that champions league
The board were happy
Regardless of us putting in the same naive performance’s when we got there
The season keown was helping out with defence we went on a long run without conceding and reached the final
His nose was put out of joint after seeking council
So he resorted to his same one size fits all approach hence coming up short in so many big games.

Sacked in 2011? Yet your here arguing with people that are saying this season isn't good enough and especially when compared to the season that got Wenger the sack? :doh:

Where have I said this season is good enough?
I would have sacked Arteta after the Everton game
But just because I don’t keep repeating the same old thing infinitum does not mean I am satisfied with how things are going
I also believe that you should support when you can
I can’t support Lehmann in saying we are worse now than when we were in wenger’s last season 17/18
One chap said after our 2018 games cup defeat at Nottingham Forest that wenger should have gone 7 years before that which was 2011 but now talks about how we shouldn’t judge him by that 17/18 season ?

You've misread my post. I specifically said you're arguing with people that are saying this season isn't good enough. You've been persistent with it. You may not feel the need to repeat your position on Arteta but you repeat this same pattern of a defence for a poor season. Why? Is it to wind up the posters that keep repeating how unhappy they are with Arteta?

Supporting the club as whole is one thing and I've heard you express to others to try and support the club instead of always spinning the negative. But surely that also applies to Arsene Wenger's reign if you're consistent about that? To even argue that we were worse in Wenger's last season is ridiculous. You can attempt to fudge the win and loss record again by adding in all competitions or skewing the dates but we were never this low in the table in Wenger's last year.

I don’t believe it to be good enough
I don’t believe it to be worse than 17/18
I am not fudging win loss
They are facts
We are better defensively now than we were in wenger’s last 36 games as well
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Nuggets » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:

Agree on that. If the Board cared about the league they'd have sacked him already. It's been quiet and I'm starting to think an early Europa League exit wouldn't be enough for him to lose his job. They're gonna give him time to build.

That will be years in the wilderness of the midtable with the rest of the pubbers lol This guy hasn't got what it takes for him to start learning his trade at Arsenals expense if an insult to the club and the fans.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby gamechannel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:49 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
Özim wrote:

Take away the FA horror shows (Wolves springs to mind) and individual brain farts (back to back red cards) and we'd be challenging for 4th.

He's made several mistakes but he's also got a lot right. I don't see who we can realistically get that would guarantee us better.

It's definitely not the likes of Jose, Nuno or Chris Wilder that some on here were calling for in the summer. Reminds me of the horror days when those same posters told us not getting Owen Coyle or Martinez 'would haunt us forever'.

What logic! If Allison doesn't make stupid mistakes the last 2 games, Liverpool would be higher. If Pickford doesn't make mistakes all season, Everton would have more points. If Tottenhams defenders wouldn't make routine mistakes all the time, they'd have more points. Mistakes are part of the game, Arteta is not the only manager who's players make mistakes. Stop defending Arteta by blaming bad luck and mistakes. We are terrible by all advanced stats, regardless of mistakes.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Alexis » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:51 pm

Not gonna get sacked until next season.

The board have out everything into him and won't budge from that unfortunately.

It's a shame fans aren't in, he would have been long if fans were all out there. He has EL to cling on and nothing else. I expect he won't last long next year if country is vaccinated and fans are back out by sept.
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk