Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mikel Arteta, First-Team Manager

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:25 am

theHotHead wrote:Jay scraping points and playing shit is NOT SUSTAINABLE ! So if you are happy with playing shit and scraping points, thats up to you, I am not willing to accept that because it can quickly lead to freefall - just like it did last season !! And even at our best in terms of recovery (using your 4th best in the league form for 5 months claim) the best we managed to salvage was 8th - NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

Yet Paddy Vieira has Crystal Palace looking like a decent team in the same 8 game period that we have looked shite - and he didn't have the majority of the squad for the previous 18 months - like Arteta has had !

That decent team Paddy is managing is below us.

We're building a new squad - we had 5 new first teamers this year in the team yesterday,
Things will take time to gel and if we are picking up points whilst that is happening that is a bloody good thing.
Points HH, for now I couldn't give a shit whether we look like Barcelona in their prime.

My barometer remains that same - touching distance of top 4 at Christmas.
Having game by game meltdowns because we don't win 4-0 every week is a nonsense.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:41 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Jay scraping points and playing shit is NOT SUSTAINABLE ! So if you are happy with playing shit and scraping points, thats up to you, I am not willing to accept that because it can quickly lead to freefall - just like it did last season !! And even at our best in terms of recovery (using your 4th best in the league form for 5 months claim) the best we managed to salvage was 8th - NOT GOOD ENOUGH !

Yet Paddy Vieira has Crystal Palace looking like a decent team in the same 8 game period that we have looked shite - and he didn't have the majority of the squad for the previous 18 months - like Arteta has had !

We're building a new squad - we had 5 new first teamers this year in the team yesterday,
Things will take time to gel and if we are picking up points whilst that is happening that is a bloody good thing.
Points HH, for now I couldn't give a shit whether we look like Barcelona in their prime.

Having game by game meltdowns because we don't win 4-0 every week is a nonsense.

We are in touching distance of seventeenth as much as we are in touching distance of fourth.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:48 am

jayramfootball wrote:

Are you really bigging up the fact we are above Crystal Palace Jay ? They have scored more goals than us and conceded 1 goal more than us. They have a new manager and far far less resources than us. 1 point for us is like 1.5 points for them.

Crystal Palace, a club whose last 10 Premier League campaigns were 14th, 14th, 12th, 11th, 14th, 15th, 10th, 11th, 18th and 20th !!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:51 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Are you really bigging up the fact we are above Crystal Palace Jay ? They have scored more goals than us and conceded 1 goal more than us. They have a new manager and far far less resources than us. 1 point for us is like 1.5 points for them.

Crystal Palace, a club whose last 10 Premier League campaigns were 14th, 14th, 12th, 11th, 14th, 15th, 10th, 11th, 18th and 20th !!!

Dude you were bigging up a team - and their manager - below us in the league.
We'll see where we finish this year, but until Christmas I am not at all interested in entertaining the BS after every game we don't win AND look like Barca in their prime. I see it for the agenda-driven trolling that it is.

Right now its points that matter - after a bad start (for a number of reasons) - we are on a good run and if that run continues and we are close to top 4 at Christmas then Arteta will continue getting my support into the second half of the year.
It's that simple - not interested in the stupidity of attacking everything about the club and all our young players. Even less interested than when Spud fans try to troll us.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 pm

Vieira is a better manager, you can see it, his team has a clear style of play and outclassed us, he also didn’t get to spend huge fortunes on a new team.

Doesnt matter if Palace finish below us, they have a fraction of the budget we have and their squad is worth a fraction of ours.

We should have brought Vieira in instead of Arteta if we were going to bring a young manager in, at least he’d managed before, he would have been a much better choice.

As for top 4, we’ve never been near it and won’t be, this season will be a repeat of last season, we do t look any different, the only difference is we’ve blown a huge fortune and haven’t bought any ready made performers.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:37 pm

Vieira's been managing since 2010, gradually moving from MLS, to Ligue 1 and now PL. He's set up his team like a professional, maximizing what resources he has.

Contrast that to Arteta, who's spent £220m buying 'his' players, while Auba and Laca do the heavy lifting yet again.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:46 pm

For me if you come in and spend 220 million it has to improve the team significantly and after 2 years you should see clear progress in terms of style and quality of player and league position.

What we’re seeing is no improvement, no clear plan, we’re no better off now than when he arrived except we’ve now blown 220 million and have to hope some of those players work out.

Vieira in a few months has achieved what Arteta couldn’t in two years, he’s transformed their style of play and you can actually see what he’s put in place.

His new players are bedding in nicely as well.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Vieira's been managing since 2010, gradually moving from MLS, to Ligue 1 and now PL. He's set up his team like a professional, maximizing what resources he has.

Contrast that to Arteta, who's spent £220m buying 'his' players, while Auba and Laca do the heavy lifting yet again.

It's quite ridiculous. He has experience an Arsenal and Premier League legend yet he has had to start so far below other former players. I hope he does well at Palace.

As for Arteta, I'm at a loss of where we go from here. Really disappointed by Partey, Odegaard, Saka, Lokonga and White so far. We're seeing the same problems as last season and the money spent hasn’t made a massive difference to how we play. After we scored that first goal, we eased off and Palace started to create chances and dominate possession.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Özim wrote:Vieira is a better manager, you can see it, his team has a clear style of play and outclassed us, he also didn’t get to spend huge fortunes on a new team.

Doesnt matter if Palace finish below us, they have a fraction of the budget we have and their squad is worth a fraction of ours.

We should have brought Vieira in instead of Arteta if we were going to bring a young manager in, at least he’d managed before, he would have been a much better choice.

As for top 4, we’ve never been near it and won’t be, this season will be a repeat of last season, we do t look any different, the only difference is we’ve blown a huge fortune and haven’t bought any ready made performers.

We could do a lot lot worse than bringing in big Pat, we are on the road to nowhere with this clown.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Hypergooner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:24 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Özim wrote:Vieira is a better manager, you can see it, his team has a clear style of play and outclassed us, he also didn’t get to spend huge fortunes on a new team.

We could do a lot lot worse than bringing in big Pat, we are on the road to nowhere with this clown.

I love the idea of Vieira but if we sack Arteta we have to go for a league winning manager from the continent. Get a seasoned pro to steady the ship and move us upwards.
Pat might end up being great but we need to reduce the odds of failure as much as we can
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:58 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Because he's measuring Crystal Palace by their appropriate standards, not the standards expected of a City or Liverpool .......... or Arsenal.

I've said this already, JayRam is slumming our standards just so his excuses seem more valid and it doesn't work.

The sht you've been spewing since yesterday is fkin embarrassing for you "We're 4pts off 4th" blah blah do you think everyone is stupid? there are 7 teams between us and 4th place all ahead of us or have actually more points than us.

West Ham, Utd and Everton are 1 pt off 4th!! ............ now what?

You are fkin ridiculous and if we finish any worse than 6th this season I'm going to fkin have you, worse than what you got for Villarreal, believe it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Hypergooner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:08 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Because he's measuring Crystal Palace by their appropriate standards, not the standards expected of a City or Liverpool .......... or Arsenal.

I've said this already, JayRam is slumming our standards just so his excuses seem more valid and it doesn't work.

The sht you've been spewing since yesterday is fkin embarrassing for you "We're 4pts off 4th" blah blah do you think everyone is stupid? there are 7 teams between us and 4th place all ahead of us or have actually more points than us.

West Ham, Utd and Everton are 1 pt off 4th!! ............ now what?

You are fkin ridiculous and if we finish any worse than 6th this season I'm going to fkin have you, worse than what you got for Villarreal, believe it.

You all need to ask yourself, would Wenger have beaten Brentford, Brighton and Palace with the squad we have?
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:18 pm

Doubt it.

He was finished years ago. No club wants him and he's becoming a laughing stock with the world cup crap
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:06 pm

Ach wrote:Doubt it.

He was finished years ago. No club wants him and he's becoming a laughing stock with the world cup crap

He only lasted S long as he did because he kept cost down.
If he had been at any other major club, or any club with ambition he would have been sacked years before he went
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:05 am

Arteta is supposedly the understudy of a manager who is quite possibly the best organiser of possession-based football of all time, and yet we are utterly terrible on the ball. I'm not expecting us to play intricate football like Manchester City, but even the basics are wrong: our idea of build up is one player on the ball while six or seven players stand and wait.

To be fair, this problem dates all the way back to Wenger. But the fact that Arteta hasn't been able to do anything to rectify this even a little bit tells you everything you need to know. Sitting back and waiting for a counterattack may be good enough if you're a mid-table side, but it won't do if you want to finish in the top four, let alone win the league.

It's abundantly clear that Arteta's tactical understanding of the game is lacking. I see no signs of that changing. We need better from our manager.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk